Breast Cancer Awareness Month

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Draco Aurum.7520

Draco Aurum.7520

Hello fellow gamers!

This is just a short note to remind everyone that October is breast cancer awareness month and you can show your support in game by wearing pink!

Sadly 1 out of every 8 women and 1 out of every 1000 men will develop breast cancer in their lifetime, let’s not let this go unnoticed, get out there and wear your pink armor!

For people who are low on coin try the Persephone dye, it’s only 40 copper’ish on the trading post and is a great shade of pink.

This is for you nan, you will be loved and missed always.

Attachments:

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Supporting your effort by replying here, but never the one to wearing buttons, signs, message T-shirts myself… but I’ll see if I don’t have a character hopping around that fits pink

I have a red-heared engineer with a blow torch… she might do the trick.
Never, in my wildest imagination, I figured I would consider supporting the struggle against breast cancer by dressing up a homocidal imaginary character with pyromaniacal tendencies.
But hey, if it pleases you

small note: your reference is to a rl person and by no means I would ever make fun of that, just staying in the joyfullnes of the game itself.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: CSRevenant.9037

CSRevenant.9037

There is already a Breast Cancer Awareness Month thread.

TLDR: Most of the people in the thread refused. It looks awful, and most saw it as completely pointless.

80 everything

Kimbald.2697

Of course it’s pointless… but that’s not the point for me.
It’s pointles because no one will look at my pinkish flamethrowing rampage, and think: she must be supporting breast cancer… let alone think: he must be supporting breast cancer, the guy playing this gal.
But hey, it’s just about as pointless to get cynical about it

Not saying you’re doing that, by the way.

And I didn’t know about the other thread, will have to look it up i guess.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Because of breast cancer, I never had the opportunity to meet my mother’s mother. She died when my mother was 11. I’ll look up some pink dye when I get a chance.

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

It IS pointless to do in a game. Want to help? Donate money to the cause. Rally friends and co-workers to do the same.

Too many people think “Oh I’ll just wear pink or the ribbon and I’ll help the cause.” No you won’t. You are just jumping on the bandwagon to feel better about yourself. That’s why 70% of people or so volunteer. They don’t believe in the cause, they just want to feel better about themselves.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

I assume they will have a pink day in LA at some point but who knows

Kimbald.2697

It IS pointless to do in a game. Want to help? Donate money to the cause. Rally friends and co-workers to do the same.

Too many people think “Oh I’ll just wear pink or the ribbon and I’ll help the cause.” No you won’t. You are just jumping on the bandwagon to feel better about yourself. That’s why 70% of people or so volunteer. They don’t believe in the cause, they just want to feel better about themselves.

where did I state that I thought this would help the cause, or even that this is my way of helping the cause?
Not jumping any bandwagon to feel better about myself, I do know the difference between helping and awareness.

How can yo go from people doing this in game, to the fact they DON’T believe in the cause and only do this to feel better about themselves?
How can you tell they don’t believe in the cause, despite the fact they dress a character in pink (which is what they do when you say they volunteer here)?

They might, or might not, help in other ways, more helpful ways indeed. But to blatantly state they don’t believe in the cause at all?
Who made you anybodies conscience?

Posted by: Shtonem.6203

Shtonem.6203

Anet should put pink I (breast cancer ribbon) boobies shirts on the store. I have one in my closet from last year for donating to a good cause!

Posted by: Katie Feathermoore.5031

Katie Feathermoore.5031

Chorel stop being a kitten.

No one is saying this is going to cure breast cancer. It’s a sign of solidarity, that we are aware of the issue and we want to do something, which means taking action in real life. Ever wondered what a moment of silence “does” after a tragedy? It’s a gesture of respect, just like the one the OP is giving for his relative and everyone else whose had this. I’m sure he will also be participating in fundraisers for the cause throughout the year,and not just in October.

Posted by: Counciler.7438

Counciler.7438

I would rather see a cancer awareness drive for ALL cancers. Not just breast cancer. It is far more likely that I will contract a completely different cancer (specifically colon cancer, thanks to a separate underlying condition that also cannot be cured), yet most of the research funding that goes to the ‘pink’ doesn’t actually get used to research other or universal cancer topics. Just breast cancer.

That’s ignoring the disgustingly commercialized aspect ‘Pink Ribbons’ and related products have become.

I’m tired of hearing about Breast Cancer Awareness. Believe me. I know about it. I want to hear what’s being done for the OTHER ones.

Posted by: Ghoest.3945

Ghoest.3945

Wearing pink armor isnt going to make any one better.

Posted by: Ghoest.3945

Ghoest.3945

Prostate cancer doesnt kill near as many people.
Im all for fighting breast cancer. But sometimes I think people get the mistaken notion that wearing pick actually helps something. nIf you like wearing pink great – but the constant asking of other people to so it gets old.

Posted by: Snarky Snarf.8463

Snarky Snarf.8463

Gestures of respect or care are only helpful in making people feel better, which isn’t something we should look down on. Awareness does serve a purpose, though. Not every woman thinks about breast cancer. Awareness should be and, I think is, about getting these women to consider the possibility that they could have cancer and getting checked.

Posted by: deltasniper.1659

deltasniper.1659

Comeandsee, men can get breast cancer as well.

Posted by: CSRevenant.9037

CSRevenant.9037

Prostate cancer doesnt kill near as many people.

In 2008 breast cancer killed about 40,500 people. Prostate cancer killed about 28,000. Not as many, but still quite significant.

Cancer patients (and especially breast cancer patients) already get a fair amount of emotional support. I know you have good intentions and want to show your support, but if you can swing a donation to research, that is far more preferable than pink dye.

80 everything

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

Quit being kitten. Please, must you all be negative all the time? This is nice OP and I will be donating a bit of money in rl to help the cause and I’ma check up on some dye in-game.
At least this will probably help by people remembering is Breast Cancer month and decide to help out.

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

Posted by: CC Ivonne.6782

CC Ivonne.6782

Community Coordinator

Dear all,
the cause for which this thread was opened is, indeed, a very good one. However, it is also an off-topic thread and therefore it will be locked.
Thanks for understanding.