Bring Back Cooperative Missions: Why and How

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raykon.7908

Raykon.7908

Before I get into details, I am aware that the personal story can be completed cooperatively, but it isn’t really the same.

The personal story in GW2 is interesting in concept, but rather bland for a number of reasons. The way it is presented is uninteresting, it never seems to place as much importance on the player as it should, and most of all, it is a lonesome experience. This is an MMO and solo content should be somewhat limited and not compose almost the entire story of the game. I’m not saying it should be eliminated, just limited.

GW2 does a great job if facilitating friendly play. It’s great at bringing players together, but rarely does it require interaction. Other players might as well be NPCs at times; they show up to fight in events in silence and then leave. This isn’t really a problem I suppose, but i feel like an MMO should be a more social experience.

To combat these issues, i would suggest bringing back the cooperative story missions of Guild Wars 1. The missions in GW1 brought players together in a way that is different from what we have in GW2. It was a social event that required teamwork, but was a bit more casual than dungeons and friendly to Pugs or organized groups.
The coop missions were great for numerous reasons:
• They required socialization and teamwork.
• They were replayable.
• They could be completed solo with the aid of NPC henchmen.
• They put more emphasis on the player and his/her allies.
• They were presented in a far more interesting and cinematic style (despite primitive animations).
• They offered content to more organized groups in the form of optional objectives or time limits to achieve better rewards and better completion status.
• Completing missions often lead to discovery of new areas or new cities, feeling more like an adventure. It also helps that these new cities often had exclusive new armor sets or merchants that couldn’t be found anywhere else, making the journey even more rewarding.
• Completing them all unlocked bonus rewards like additional armor sets or weapons, as well as perks like hard mode.

Bringing in these missions would be a substantial improvement over personal stories. The personal story could serve more of a small role, interspersed between missions. Personal story could continue to tell the story of your character but would largely take place in the open world. Instead of being instanced, it would naturally group you with players doing similar stories and lead you to climactic open world events and new mission outposts. Instanced missions would take the place of the old personal story, telling the main story of the campaign while not being required to complete in ordemr to further you personal story.

The coop missions would require the addition of instanced mission outposts in order to facilitate optional solo play with the aid of NPC henchmen, since I know that not everyone wants to play in a group. Henchmen could be added to the party in the outpost for those that are playing in offpeak hours, or simply wish to play alone.

These instanced mission outposts could be added to existing zones, as separate additions in between zones, or extensions of existing cities. Missions would offer rewards for completion and, with the completion of optional objectives, offer increased rewards, and a title for 100% completion of every mission. Missions would help you gain access to new cities or outposts with special armor vendors and weapon merchants.

Missions would be easily replayable, and would be presented in a cinematic style similar to GW1, only much improved of course.

Completion of every story mission would unlock Hard Mode for missions. Hard Mode would offer more challenges, new routes, more enemies, and additional/harder boss fights. Completion of a Hard Mode mission would be a chest with the chance of obtaining precursors or rare and sought after unique weapon skins based on the theme of the mission. Completion of all missions of Hard Mode would offer another title and additional rewards, perhaps a special armor skin or weapon skin to signify Hard Mode completion.

Cons:
• It would add extra instanced content, which i know some people are against given that GW2 is supposed to be somewhat open world. However, the personal story sould ensure that the world would remain populated.
• Dungeons would need to be revamped into harder content for elite players, offering better rewards at a substantially higher difficulty since Hard Mode missions would pretty much take their place but offering more diversity and more motivation to complete them.

(Continued in next post…)

Raykon.7908

( continued)

I know that this would require a lot of time and effort on ArenaNet’s part, but i think this would be a significant improvement over the somewhat boring personal story we currently have, but it would make the game more replayable, more social, and a bit more similar to the original game. It would offer more content, better rewards, and better motivation for completion. It would also be substantially more interesting with a superior presentation. If not added to the current game, i think it should at least be considered a model for any futue expansions.

TL;DR – As an MMO, I think GW2 should encourage group play and cooperation. I suggest a return to instanced coop missions similar to GW1 instead of the uninteresting personal story.

Thoughts?

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

Considering the game was based around the solo player having their own personal story, they will not turn away from that after two years into it. By based around I mean advertised for years. Might happen in a future game though :/

Raykon.7908

Considering the game was based around the solo player having their own personal story, they will not turn away from that after two years into it. By based around I mean advertised for years. Might happen in a future game though :/

Yeah that’s totally understandable. I’m saying it was the wrong direction to take for an MMO though. They shouldn’t have a solo experience be so central to the plot of the game. My idea is a way to restructure that into something that makes more sense for an MMO, while still keeping the personal story somewhat important to the overall game.

Players would still have a personal story, your choices at the start would still play a major role, but not in the same way as before. The personal story would serve as a way to steer players to new locations, missions, and story centric open world events. Other players with similar personal stories would be led towards those same locations in the world and naturally promote cooperation without requiring grouping.

(edited by Raykon.7908)

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

They turned away from the personal story thing like… when the first patch hit. There’s been no continuation of the personal story. Living story has used some instances similar to personal story, but mostly content has been open world zerg zerg zerg, or temporary 5 man dungeons.

I would love to have missions in GW2. The fun was in how you could repeat them for higher rewards by accomplishing the special objectives, and how those objectives changed in hard mode. Finishing all of the special objectives for a campaign gave you a title.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

They turned away from the personal story thing like… when the first patch hit. There’s been no continuation of the personal story. Living story has used some instances similar to personal story, but mostly content has been open world zerg zerg zerg, or temporary 5 man dungeons.

I would love to have missions in GW2. The fun was in how you could repeat them for higher rewards by accomplishing the special objectives, and how those objectives changed in hard mode. Finishing all of the special objectives for a campaign gave you a title.

yeah they have abandoned personal story, their numbers and feedback said it kind of sucked, which it kind of did.
But if it was like missions in GW2, then it would not have sucked. as bad, the story would probably still have been lame.

Raykon.7908

yeah they have abandoned personal story, their numbers and feedback said it kind of sucked, which it kind of did.
But if it was like missions in GW2, then it would not have sucked. as bad, the story would probably still have been lame.

It may have still sucked, but it would have been a lot more palatable and enjoyable with a group of players and an improved presentation.

Not to mention how much more fun it is to meet new people this way. I can’t count how many times i made new friends while doing missions on GW1. Gw2 doesn’t really have that, everyone is too busy doing their own thing.

(edited by Raykon.7908)

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

This is and has been my biggest upset with this game, I loved playing hard mode missions and kitten, especially when they added in the zaishen mission daily.

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I definitely want to see them continue story telling through Personal Story and Story Missions sounds like fun!

I just want them to stop telling stories through Living world since people who actually care for the story wont be able to keep up or know what’s going on due to it’s temp nature.

Raykon.7908

I definitely want to see them continue story telling through Personal Story and Story Missions sounds like fun!

I just want them to stop telling stories through Living world since people who actually care for the story wont be able to keep up or know what’s going on due to it’s temp nature.

If ArenaNet really wanted to continue with the Living Story content, it could be like a continuation. With additions to the personal story they would take you through to newly added locations, world events, or coop missions and could eventually culminate in some massive new content or expansion. In this way, living story content could continue to be playable to new players and create persistent new content for existing players.