Bring Back cross classing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Stajan.4581

Stajan.4581

With anet doing a small bit of throw back to the good old days of gw I think it would be fantastic to bring in the cross classing again, with a small twist, in stead of gaining all the skills of the other class you gain just a specific area that you may pick from. So lets take reaper;’s they now get shouts well gaining the shouts of warriors or rangers would make for some serious fun game play, it would also make for some very powerful char, in turn anet could scale up the enemies or create new ones.

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Ever since the introduction of Specializations, I always thought that would be a great way to implement cross classing.

Specialization lines from your subclass could simply be taken rather than your own. Depending on how Anet would wish to balance it, you could be limited to a single cross class Specialization, perhaps you’d have to use your elite spec Specialization slot for a non-elite Spec slot, or perhaps there would not be as many limitations. A lot of Specializations lines are closely related to one kind of utility type, perhaps the Specialization you select would determine which utilities from your second class you have access too… or perhaps you’re utilities/weapons would be completely open.

Obviously there would be balance concerns that would arise, but when has that bothered Anet?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They said that balancing Guild Wars 1 was a nightmare. People were constantly thinking up new ways to combine skills to get overpowered builds (66 monks and touch rangers comes to mind). Then they’d have to nerf those skills down to the ground, which made them too weak to use for normal set ups. It was the reason they didn’t put cross classes in this game.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I understand why they won’t do it, it was a nightmare for balance.

But I’d love it if they did. I had a lot of fun with cross class builds because I like to use some fairly random combinations and that and Elder Scrolls games (where you can do any combination of skill lines) were the best games for getting to do it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

Thing is they are having problems balancing the classes now as well without cross class xD

It would be interesting but they are having trouble with balancing non cross classes so it would probably fail hard right now.

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

The only difference between balance now, and a harder system to balance, is that we’d have more options to play around with. Might even have enough options to counter unbalanced builds that come about.

I’ve given up on the game being balanced even before Elite Specs completely destroyed GW2’s class balance. Might as well have some more fun.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yeah some of the cross classes in GW1 were OP, and awesome. I do miss some of the builds. I loved my bonder monk, being about to solo runs CoF in 20 mins with 2 Hero’s was great fun. Ursan way was also great. It let anyone do UW, FoW and DoA as long as you had a high enough title. Ah the good old days.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

In pve it wouldn’t be an issue but think of pve, a scrapper using the invulnerability utility of a warrior. Or someone stacking two trait lines with greatsword skill reductions and stuff xD or a scrapper taking minion traits and utilities of a necro xD

Pvpers would complain, it would get nerfed which also does the same to the pve skills.

And as noted I only mentioned a few ways a class could abuse this xD

Like I said I would love cross class as it was a gold part of gw 1 and I hope they try to implement it but maybe at a time when they can handle it as now they are having issues all over the board xD

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

Builds are diverse enough already that the game doesn’t need it.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Really?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Phalanx strength herald? giggity.

I could come up with tonnes of insanely powerful builds with second class trait lines.

Would have to be no to this idea.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Yeah,,,no please.
Because,balance,elite specs already provide more than enough crossover,
and what is the point of choosing a class if all classes can do everything?

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I would love this, but it would cause so many balance issues.

Ranger/Mesmer: Quickening Zephyr + Mimic + Rapid fire = machine gun.
Necro/Mesmer: one man/woman army
etc.

Would be awesome in PvE, but I’m partial to being able to blow stuff away. PvP however would suffer immensely, and WvW would probably take quite a hit as well.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

Really?

yeah
if you expand from including only 100% optimal to including 90% optimal builds as well, there are TONS.
I personally regularly use 7 very different elementalist builds. (and no, I don’t count pvp staff healbot and pvp d/f healbot as different builds)

(edited by reikken.4961)

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Technically since there are no classes there’s nothing to “cross”.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Can you change the title OP? Each time I read it I read, Bring Back cross dressing.

:P

Maybe bring back secondary professions.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

Please no. I would rather they just put effort into making new specializations or content to fill the drought.

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

Posted by: Stajan.4581

Stajan.4581

There are some good points here and it would be easy enough to make it just a pve thing so no pvp at all and no wvw. The reason I say bring it back is for a couple of reasons first off how many times have you wanted to do something and just can not find anyone to do it with and then you can not do it at all because you do not have the abilities or the strength to do it Second is the exact fact that they brought in these specializations and well most are good but one sucks and one really really sucks and this would allow other classes to act as a druid if they want to and to go on the raids where the ranger could take the traps of the DH and be really useful. Personally I would love a Reaper/Ranger with shouts, like sickem on the minions/ The other one is the the builds are run by the gear not he gear run by the builds and this is truly and issue in this game, the builds you come up with should have you trying to get different gear not the all mighty Meta which in its own right is good but I say it is crap through and though. Who the hell put these ppl that say meta is the best in charge I did not there was no vote and if there was I missed it. so you see there are lots of reason to have cross classing and all of them are good.