Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Fix forum bug…….

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Bring Back the GW1 Skillsets

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Annatar.8175

Annatar.8175

I miss the variability of GW1 skill system, too. I enjoyed the possibility to choose from many possibilities. One of the things that made bearable for me (and many of my guildies, from what I know) to map and complete and vanquish the same zones/dungeons/elite adventures over and over was to change builds and experiments with new skills’ combinations. Sometimes, I felt like to try a new elite skill I did not really used that much and to build something around it; it was fun, it was strategy.
Evidently, GW2 does not offer the same kind of deepness in terms of planning the fight; at least not in most of the PvE. I am not saying this is wrong, since I am a GW1 “veteran” and I accept that my opinion is biased.
However, I have elements to disagree on GW2’s combat being simpler than GW1’s. It just moved the focus from certain things to others. For example, GW2 has less skills but has many more possibilities to interact with the environment. Just the dodging adds an important layer: then, effects can be added to the dodging (with it, Warrior can damage AoE, Guardian can heal AoE; also skills can be activated even if they are not in the skillbar, let’s think about Evasive Arcana with Elementalist – different effects according to Attunement, too! – and so on).
In GW1 one had to carefully plan the builds of the team before entering the fight (acceptable strategy required); in GW2, it is more important how you move once the fight begins (good reflexes make your life easier).
Of course, in part the reverse is also true: in GW1 you had to be careful about interrupt (mostly if you were Mesmer) or avoid interruption in order to cast efficiently; there were some good reflexes. In GW2, if you’re very good at dodging but you suck at planning you may miss to switch your Daredevil’s Grandmaster trait and end up with the wrong dodging effect.
TL;DR: I still miss GW1 skills’ variability and complexity, I felt it added something to the combat system. Still I disagree that GW2’s combat is simpler than GW1’s, skills are not everything. Anyway, GW2 is the game it is and it would be tough to change too radically. Opinions on the matter are a thing, and nostalgia is ok; asking for drastic changes is probably a sterile query.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

This is why it’s hard for devs to communicate. When they say “you” people take it to heart rather than the whole player base. They look for a majority that was liked and brought it over. Its impossible for a gaming company to go through each and every single thing that someone liked from the old game or was thought of as fun.

Cause I bet there is someone out there who loved the GW1 death penalty system and we’re mad it wasn’t brought over either.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Cause I bet there is someone out there who loved the GW1 death penalty system and we’re mad it wasn’t brought over either.

Indeed. I’ve seen requests for the GW1 death penalty, for bringing back repair costs into this game, for bringing back the trait system which required us to repeat identical quests on every single character (or pay a substantial amount of gold).

I think it’s great that some people prefer the illusion of increased choice that GW1’s skill system offered; there was definitely a lot of fun in playing around with builds. However, for better or worse, ANet has decided to go with a different concept for GW2. It seems very, very unlikely that they would consider it worth the time to completely overhaul the existing system.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

A marketing like like “we’re going to take everything you love about Guild Wars and put it in Guild Wars 2” is impossible. Completely impossible. Anyone who stopped to think about it for even a minute or two would realize that.

Yet they said it, and they said it like they meant it. Are you saying it was a lie?

Yep, I’m saying it’s not a lie. It’s not specific enough to be a lie. It’s amorphous. Not everything that turns out to be untrue is a lie. A lie implies INTENT to mislead. I’m not so sure this was said with any intent to mislead at all.

I can talk casually in a video about what I INTEND to do with a game. They were open even at that point about how the weapon system would work.

It’s a casual statement, not a specific one. It’s an English thing. Not all things are meant to be taken literally and everything really needs to be taken in context. You remove the context and you lose the meaning.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

One of the best things about the original was tinkering with builds , compiling things from your primary and secondary skills to create something to test, either it worked, or it didn`t but at least you`d tried it.

I`m growing increasingly def up with the lowest common denominator, lets make it simple for the kiddies to play build system in this game. Equip this weapon, you can only do this with it …..crap ! Press the same skills repeatedly cause thats all you can do with this, crap !

This is a Sin/Nec build i was working on , just look at all those dagger skills you who`ve only played GW2 . Every class was like this, and once you put one together that worked, you saved the template, all it`d need to reinstate a build, including all the skill stats, was cut n paste the template code in.

Builds for every scenario, every class , different weapons, primaries and secondaries , real gaming .

This just in! Guild Wars 2 is a different game than Guild Wars!

Posted by: Balkarrie Legacy.9175

Balkarrie Legacy.9175

One of the best things about the original was tinkering with builds , compiling things from your primary and secondary skills to create something to test, either it worked, or it didn`t but at least you`d tried it.

I`m growing increasingly def up with the lowest common denominator, lets make it simple for the kiddies to play build system in this game. Equip this weapon, you can only do this with it …..crap ! Press the same skills repeatedly cause thats all you can do with this, crap !

This is a Sin/Nec build i was working on , just look at all those dagger skills you who`ve only played GW2 . Every class was like this, and once you put one together that worked, you saved the template, all it`d need to reinstate a build, including all the skill stats, was cut n paste the template code in.

Builds for every scenario, every class , different weapons, primaries and secondaries , real gaming .

This just in ….stuff can be changed

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

And ANet changes stuff all the time. The question isn’t “can it be changed” — the question is “should it be changed”. The fact that some people have fond memories of something in GW1 isn’t sufficient.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

And ANet changes stuff all the time. The question isn’t “can it be changed” — the question is “should it be changed”. The fact that some people have fond memories of something in GW1 isn’t sufficient.

The current sytem or path game is going it is awfull, pvp is know to be a joke not even good to observe that mode.

WvW link not solving anything and not helping, link system linking empty servers that will get blobbed by larger servers being linked, something like big vs smaller vs smallest, it is a KT model and pretend to be working to kt capping stuff and other groups capping back it is awfull concept.

Skill balance is a joke, damaging pvp, WvW.

GW2 has just a few skills, some classes, traitline are useless and utilies are far useless due not work, bugged AI since game lauch, nerfed to oblivion so strong gimmicks are easier to work, wtc.

Most armor stats are useless, most runes and sigils are useless, only a few are used.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

I am really a big fan of GW1, but at the same time I just don’t see changing GW2 into GW1 as a reasonable or realistic solution.

It seems to me that it makes more sense to look at what it is that people don’t like in the GW2 system and think about options within that system.

GW1 and GW2 simply are two different games, like it or not.

For me there are a few issues that I would like addressed within the GW2 system.

1) Weapon skills. The idea of assigning skills to weapons was not a great idea in my view as a player. I can see various reason why ArenaNet would want it, but as a player it’s a matter of limitations. The first limitation is that if I want to use the skill set that is considered the best, I have no choice in the weapons I have to use. This seems contradictory in a game that is all about cosmetics. The weapons you carry are part of your look. So if I want to use the weapons I like I am forced to accept a skill set that is sub par or just not fun to me. There is a second limitation. You are stuck with the skills you get. That is no surprise but the same skill sets are used in WvW for example as in PvE. I suppose PvP also uses the same but correct me if I’m wrong. But it means that whatever mode you play you tend to be stuck with at least one skill that’s a dud. Completely pointless. That brings your skill set down to 9 or 8 effectively depending.

So what can be done about that I wonder… well, my thought would be to disconnect the skill sets from the weapons. So you can use any weapon your class allows but you do have to choose the skills sets that exist. So effectively you have the exact same skill sets, but you select the sets in the UI for your build rather than with your weapon.
That itself seems like a viable solution to me, except there is the issue of animations. I would mark that as a possible hurdle in there.

Of course that doesn’t solve the second part of the issue, but I have another idea for that. What if you had two choices per skill slot when you choose a weapon? Or at least allow you to trade out one skill with another but limit that choice to one or the other. It would keep balancing relatively easier than a fully free skill bar but allow you to change one skill for one that might be better for you. Honestly my Necromancer’s main hand dagger really has no use in PvE for that silly skill in slot 3 that holds a target immobile. It rarely works as it is. If I could exchange it to a skill that does some chill damage or whatever I totally would.

2) Rotation issues. I like combat to be fun and part of that for me is having a skill set that I can use with a certain flow. I do not like using the auto attack skill too much because, well it’s kinda boring. The problem is that a lot of skills have really high cooldowns and are more incidental in combat than instrumental. To me this kills the fun. I prefer using skills that have a lower cooldown than for example that elite slot which have a cooldown often of minutes. Maybe they’re so powerful you should only use once or twice per battle but it effectively takes it out of the rotation flow. It’s a holy crap button and nothing more. A shame to have that in 10 skill bar. If you combine the issue of dud skills in the weapons area with the cooldown issue, I get to situations where I burst 4-5 skills and back to auto attack for 30 seconds till the other skills are off cooldown on my guardian. It’s pretty powerful stuff and it’s actually not so bad with the elite spec but it’s kinda boring to have to wait for skills a lot or to just use one or two skills constantly rather than being able to make nice rotations that keep things interested.

My solution would be to lower cooldowns on some of the skills. It seems simply enough and ArenaNet might not like it but what I also don’t like is mobs that just take too long to kill. So this would solve both issues. And it’s been mentioned before, but being allowed to put a normal skill in the elite skill is also more desireable.

Now not everybody might like these ideas but I do think it makes more sense to try to work on improving the current game than to look back and crying over spilt milk basically. As much as I loved GW1, I don’t see the point in that.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

they just need to make autoatack some weapons auto atacks do much less damage…. while the auto atack does has much has a higher skill CD… (some auto atacks even cleave with “easy” damage to make it more noob friendly)…

It is a game to atrack very basic people that just want to press a few buttons and look good… sadly it is paying for that in pvp.

Anet has even taken good mechanics from Gw1 ranger to make that class more noob friendly, ranger concept there was really inovative and good.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

The current sytem or path game is going it is awfull, pvp is know to be a joke not even good to observe that mode.

WvW link not solving anything and not helping, link system linking empty servers that will get blobbed by larger servers being linked, something like big vs smaller vs smallest, it is a KT model and pretend to be working to kt capping stuff and other groups capping back it is awfull concept.

Skill balance is a joke, damaging pvp, WvW.

GW2 has just a few skills, some classes, traitline are useless and utilies are far useless due not work, bugged AI since game lauch, nerfed to oblivion so strong gimmicks are easier to work, wtc.

Most armor stats are useless, most runes and sigils are useless, only a few are used.

Right … so the argument here is that the skillsets in GW2 should be changed to GW1 ones because the current game path is awful … is that a data-based fact, or a self-serving opinion?

See, again, ignoring the people that currently play this game and changing this to make this game ‘not on an awful path’ is not based on sound judgment. GW1 skillsets isn’t some winning formula you just apply whenever you want a ‘win’ in a game … it worked for GW1. NOTHING indicates that it will work in GW2, including when you factor in the cost to implement it and rebalance the whole game … again.

Anyone that suggests moving to a completely different skillset model at this point in GW2 lifecycle is just out to lunch. It would be more reasonable for me to suggest … Mounts.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Forget mounts, forget changing the skillset system, but add in skills that are not present such kittenter Enchantment… call it shatter boon. And make it work on as many boons as the individual has, or make it AoE on up to ‘x’ on players and ‘y’ of boons.

But yeah … this far into the lifecycle, I don’t think anything ‘can’ or should be changed. Some of the ideas put forth across the threads require to completely change / overhaul a whole system. That just won’t happen at this point.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

no i think people are looking at it with rose tinted glasses, in gw1 you only had more options in theory (if you didnt care about your build being viable for instance)

gw2s system is better and while i hope they continue to add to it in the future with elite specs and the like, I do NOT wanna see gw1s skill system come into gw2

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I shall opine thusly: once our Guild Wars characters got over the shock of seeing our GW2 characters rolling and flouncing and flip-flopping all over the place as though caught up in the process of assaying unto completion of the drunkard title, they’d slaughter them.

And lo! With that salvo, this Battle of Opinions rages on, with no end in sight! There’s really only one way to settle this: an official old vs new crossover challenge! Some sort of dungeon, perhaps, in the Mists, where time is extra wibbley wobbley, allowing old and new (along with their adherents and aficionados) to come face to face to engage in a Battle Royale (w/cheese) the outcome of which will set the course for the Future of the Franchise!

I’ll leave it to someone else (nudge nudge wink wink) to work out the details of how such an event might be (ahem) developed.

The table is a fable.

Gehenna.3625

no i think people are looking at it with rose tinted glasses, in gw1 you only had more options in theory (if you didnt care about your build being viable for instance)

That’s not true. I was always able to make builds that worked well that were not the popular builds. I don’t know which colour glasses you are looking through but don’t be blinded by the people who shouted that the best build in their opinion was the only build viable for a class.

Too many people mistake the word viable for popular or the best.

Sure there were some killer builds out there like the MM build for heroes and such but there was a lot more viable out there than people wanted to give credit for.

gw2s system is better

Because…?

Balkarrie Legacy.9175

That’s not true. I was always able to make builds that worked well that were not the popular builds. I don’t know which colour glasses you are looking through but don’t be blinded by the people who shouted that the best build in their opinion was the only build viable for a class.

Too many people mistake the word viable for popular or the best.

Sure there were some killer builds out there like the MM build for heroes and such but there was a lot more viable out there than people wanted to give credit for.

gw2s system is better

Because…?

He means easier…..doesn`t require thinking or trial and error thus better …

Obtena.7952

gw2s system is better

Because…?

because it’s the one that’s ingame now .. That’s not being glib either. it costs money to do what’s being suggested here … who’s paying for that? This isn’t a charity. If Anet went to it’s senior execs and suggested they simply ‘revamp’ the whole skillset system, just because it’s not like GW1, they would be laughed at.

Posted by: Diak Atoli.2085

Diak Atoli.2085

He means easier…..doesn`t require thinking or trial and error thus better …

Wait, where did Goatjugsoup say it was easier?

Anyways, that’s only true for individuals. I find the combat system in Guild Wars 2 to actually be harder. It requires on-the-fly thinking and reaction to hard-to-see visuals, instead of just preparation and obvious skill tells.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

gw2s system is better

Because…?

because it’s the one that’s ingame now .. That’s not being glib either. it costs money to do what’s being suggested here … who’s paying for that? This isn’t a charity. If Anet went to it’s senior execs and suggested they simply ‘revamp’ the whole skillset system, just because it’s not like GW1, they would be laughed at.

you sort of a new player? They already revamped the skill system than what it was at launch.

You are correct in that they wouldn’t do such a thing due to the cost, hell they won’t do a smaller task such as skill split for pve/pvp, but don’t forget that player loss due to lack of variety is also a is also a loss in revenue as it requires money to keep the servers up 24/7.

Wait, where did Goatjugsoup say it was easier?

Anyways, that’s only true for individuals. I find the combat system in Guild Wars 2 to actually be harder. It requires on-the-fly thinking and reaction to hard-to-see visuals, instead of just preparation and obvious skill tells.

They may have changed his words a bit but it is an easier game. They switched from selecting how many pts in a tree to auto maxing 3 trees, there is an increase in the number of passives both off and def, skills are rather independant of each other – for example some skills for the hammer in gw1 required the enemy to be knocked down otherwise they would also miss thus if you interrupted their knock down you could screw over their burst big time, whereas in gw2 if any of your 2-5 skills are interrupted it might lower their burst a little but they can just carry on.

I think it’s great that some people prefer the illusion of increased choice that GW1’s skill system offered; there was definitely a lot of fun in playing around with builds.

You are welcomed to say that, as not every build made up of mishmash skills is viable as well as some builds may only be viable in certain areas HOWEVER gw2 is by far an even greater illusion. Players may choose builds that are less than optimal meta but in all reality you can go to a world boss or event with only weapons equipped and no treeskills selected due to the players around.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Obtena.7952

gw2s system is better

Because…?

you sort of a new player? They already revamped the skill system than what it was at launch.

You are correct in that they wouldn’t do such a thing due to the cost, hell they won’t do a smaller task such as skill split for pve/pvp, but don’t forget that player loss due to lack of variety is also a is also a loss in revenue as it requires money to keep the servers up 24/7.

No, I’m not sort of a new player and they didn’t revamp weapon skillsets, that was traits. Player loss due to a lack of variety is a thing, but a developer won’t throw out established systems that they have worked years on balancing just on a whim just to try to get new players at the expense of the ones that play it.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

echo.2053

gw2s system is better

Because…?

No, I’m not sort of a new player and they didn’t revamp weapon skillsets, that was traits. Player loss due to a lack of variety is a thing, but a developer won’t throw out established systems that they have worked years on balancing just on a whim just to try to get new players at the expense of the ones that play it.

They are one of the same – in gw1 attributes increased skill dam/duration etc – in gw2 they focused more on passives rather than actual skills. To consider skills without considering traits/attributes would be rather ludacris. That being said they still overhauled the trait system into the specializations system – which was a drastic change.

yes we’ve already thrown out any actual changes due to money, even if it were to decline to a point where it was deemed necessary to make that change it would already be too late and thus they would allow the decline to continue until it wasn’t feasible to keep the servers online.

Don’t get me wrong I’m against such changes even though I had a lot of fun in gw1. Even if they were to add weapon skills so that each weapon could be used by every profession, which would thrill a good portion of the player base, I would be against it – granted I’m just a single player. The reason being is that they can barely balance the current skills/traits, which are locked, without making one profession more powerful than the others. Adding more skills would just be a nightmare…..

Balkarrie Legacy.9175

gw2s system is better

Because…?

They are one of the same – in gw1 attributes increased skill dam/duration etc – in gw2 they focused more on passives rather than actual skills. To consider skills without considering traits/attributes would be rather ludacris. That being said they still overhauled the trait system into the specializations system – which was a drastic change.

yes we’ve already thrown out any actual changes due to money, even if it were to decline to a point where it was deemed necessary to make that change it would already be too late and thus they would allow the decline to continue until it wasn’t feasible to keep the servers online.

Don’t get me wrong I’m against such changes even though I had a lot of fun in gw1. Even if they were to add weapon skills so that each weapon could be used by every profession, which would thrill a good portion of the player base, I would be against it – granted I’m just a single player. The reason being is that they can barely balance the current skills/traits, which are locked, without making one profession more powerful than the others. Adding more skills would just be a nightmare…..

You don`t think some professions are more powerful than others already ? Meet the beloved classes of the anet devs, mes, warr, thief, ranger, guardian, rev

Obtena.7952

gw2s system is better

Because…?

They are one of the same – in gw1 attributes increased skill dam/duration etc – in gw2 they focused more on passives rather than actual skills.

I don’t get it .. what is one of the same? I think it’s clear that GW2 is not GW1 part 2. If you mean traits are one in the same with weapon skillsets, I think that’s demonstrably wrong, since the trait system was really just a change in how traits are accessed and when it happened, weapon skillsets were not changed at all. They are completely separate systems.

Gehenna.3625

gw2s system is better

Because…?

Thanks for this , shall we say, interesting answer, but what I really wanted is for him to explain to me why HE thinks it’s better. There must be reasons why he says that and I find those more interesting than whether or not he’s right.

echo.2053

they didn’t revamp weapon skillsets

You are the one that switched to weapon skillsets, not me kiddo.

I don’t get it .. what is one of the same? I think it’s clear that GW2 is not GW1 part 2. If you mean traits are one in the same with weapon skillsets, I think that’s demonstrably wrong, since the trait system was really just a change in how traits are accessed and when it happened, weapon skillsets were not changed at all. They are completely separate systems.

Really so you run traits that completely contradict your skill bar – like running a hammer cooldown trait when you don’t even have one equipted? If that’s not the case then it’s pretty naive to consider that traits don’t have a perfound impact in the effectiveness of the skills- whether it be increase damage, reduce cooldown.

Wait this sounds a little familiar….

Accumulated Pain Spell. Deals 15…63…75 damage. Inflicts Deep Wound condition (5…17…20 seconds) if target foe has 2 or more hexes. <—- You see those numbers in the parathesis, they indicate how much the skill will hit for and correspond with the number of attributes allotted in that line – if no points were alotted than the skill would be useless. In either gw1 or gw2 you CANNOT consider skillbars without ALSO including the trait system and how they affect it.

The trait revamp was a drastic change going from 2 gms to being able to have 3 gms, as well as removed the inherent inc in stats per each point added. gw2 was already a success with the previous trait system so by your standards they shouldn’t of done it as it did destroy a number of builds – yet they did.

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

The GW1 system works for that game, but even then it’s an utter nightmare to balance, to the point the term “smiter’s boon’d” was coined to refer to when a skill is completely nerfed to the point of it being intentionally unusuable due to it’s previous OPness.

I wouldn’t like that same nightmare in GW2.

Obtena.7952

Really so you run traits that completely contradict your skill bar – like running a hammer cooldown trait when you don’t even have one equipted? If that’s not the case then it’s pretty naive to consider that traits don’t have a perfound impact in the effectiveness of the skills- whether it be increase damage, reduce cooldown.

It would be naive to do that, but of course I haven’t said anything of the sort. I said that Anet did not ever revamp weapon skillsets, they revamped traits and I wouldn’t even go that far … the biggest change was how players get access to traits. For the most part, the structure of the trait system didn’t change much at all.

I don’t think you have followed my discussion very closely at this point, so there is little left to say to each other.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Balkarrie Legacy.9175

The GW1 system works for that game, but even then it’s an utter nightmare to balance, to the point the term “smiter’s boon’d” was coined to refer to when a skill is completely nerfed to the point of it being intentionally unusuable due to it’s previous OPness.

I wouldn’t like that same nightmare in GW2.

Bit late for that, theres 6 classes that are way op already

echo.2053

It would be naive to do that, but of course I haven’t said anything of the sort. I said that Anet did not ever revamp weapon skillsets, they revamped traits and I wouldn’t even go that far … the biggest change was how players get access to traits. For the most part, the structure of the trait system didn’t change much at all.

I don’t think you have followed my discussion very closely at this point, so there is little left to say to each other.

LOL but you did, I even quoted the point where you went from skillset to weapon skills.

Again I question age? The old system gave allotted stat points with each increase, you could decide how far into a tree you wanted to go, use skills from adept into a master tier.

The new system got rid of alot of useless skills like retalitory demise as well as redesigned traits, removed the added stats, skills that were once gm traits were moved to adept and master levels, as well as what was mentioned in previous post.

What exactly do you think revamp means?

If you didnt want to discuss than why bother to reply – Here watch I’ll show you how it is done.

Obtena.7952

As I mentioned, I don’t think at this point you are responding to me on topic and I don’t wish to continue to respond to non-topic discussions in this thread. Thanks.