Bring Gliding into the Core Game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Bringing gliding into the core game would be a wonderful opportunity to showcase HoT only features to the F2P playerbase and encourage them to buy the expansion.

F2P players, of course, would not be able to deploy gliders….. but they would be able to see other players gliding…. which I feel is a strong selling point for the expansion.

Anet… you could start small…. one or two town maps at a time.

Lions arch…. then next update… Hoelbrak and The Black Citadel…. then The Grove and Rata Sum…. etc.

Then eventually start branching out to the explorable maps.

All you need is a little beta testing to see where players can reach with the gliders…. determine if you want them to be able to reach those areas or not…. and then adjust things accordingly.

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

No, espurtz is more important.

dafhsabndkjs

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

So you want them to rebuild every map from the ground up to allow gliding without breaking the map and revealing all the “movie facade” unfinished areas?

Gliding in core Tyria needs its own thread the same way Mounts suggestions do ><

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Adding gliding to the core game would add absolutely nothing to the core game, and require a significant amount of work to keep gliding from actually breaking many maps, JPs, and other content.

In stead of revamping old content for no other reason than because people want to glide, I’d rather see new content being developed.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Loner.3452

Loner.3452

Adding gliding to the core game would add absolutely nothing to the core game, and require a significant amount of work to keep gliding from actually breaking many maps, JPs, and other content.

In stead of revamping old content for no other reason than because people want to glide, I’d rather see new content being developed.

what this person said

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I like gliding, but considering the amount of work it would take, I’d much rather have new content.

Already Been There, Done That.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

:(

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Would be cool to have gliding in The Heart of the Mists, though.

NSPride <3

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

putting aside assumptions about how much effort it would take (we don’t know this) someone came up with a great idea in another thread whereas they introduced tenu flying cities, so you could for example lower the dev cost by introducing gliding in some zones with these cites. Also would be fun in wvw.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Gaviston Hawkington.9647

Gaviston Hawkington.9647

Not that it matters, but it makes no sense that my character would learn to glide….then magically forget how to glide in other maps…then suddenly remember how to glide again when back on certain maps. Again, not that it matters.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Not that it matters, but it makes no sense that my character would learn to glide….then magically forget how to glide in other maps…then suddenly remember how to glide again when back on certain maps. Again, not that it matters.

It makes perfect sense when you take into account from a lore perspective why level scaling exists. Each map exists in a different time. We were level 10 strength in level 10 areas and level 80 areas are our present or recent past. We’re stronger now than we were back then. We also didn’t know how to glide in those days.

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

Bring gliding into the core game.

FIX IS***
Use Down Drafts to stop areas that Anet does not want us to get to with out jumping or climbing.

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

No. Jusr, you know, no.

*filing this idea together with the “bring us mounts” and “make anime style race” ones

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

yes pls

also you can fix majority of issues with invisible walls and a bit more textures here and there

done

you can glide.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

yes pls

also you can fix majority of issues with invisible walls and a bit more textures here and there

done

you can glide.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

So you want them to rebuild every map from the ground up to allow gliding without breaking the map and revealing all the “movie facade” unfinished areas?

I’d suggest allowing gliding for a week. Take note of which of those unfinished areas get a lot of people noticing them. Because those are the only areas that need fixing. The other areas can remain broken as most people won’t see them and the few people who do should accept that the maps weren’t designed with gliding in mind.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

While I’d love to be able to glide, the amount of work required would be (most likely) prohibitive…
But no more dropping dead because that cliff is only a tad (or a few tads…) too high… I’d already be happy if we could just deploy our glider as chute! (so no updrafts and such). It would be awesome.

But in all honesty, if I had to make a choice, I’d rather see us going after Jormag…

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

It’d be a nice thought, but it wouldn’t work out for most of core Tyria.

Meanwhile, give me gliding in Dry Top, at least. Because F that place. ><

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“Bring gliding to the core game!”

anet adjusts core game to support gliding

“Now let us actually fly!”

face … desk

Stop, people. Just stop.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

The idea that the maps would have to be rebuilt from the ground up is simply wrong, no matter how much it’s repeated. At the most a bit of collision data would have to be added because there are actually very few facades in GW2, with the notable exception of Divinity’s Reach and a few other cities and places beyond the edge of the map. Anet already has a system in HOT which kills you if you leave the edges of the map in place to stop map breaking, it just hasn’t been fully implemented yet. If you want to see it for yourself, go to the Asura home instance and try to leave that map. You instantly die. Collision data is also pretty well implemented even in areas not normally accessible as has been found by a large number of map breakers and explorers. The biggest problems would be the main cities, especially Rata Sum, and I could see gliding being restricted there. Also jumping puzzles would need some sort of downdraft condition to prevent gliding, but would be entirely doable.

Since you can never glide higher then your starting position without updrafts (which there wouldn’t be in the core game) there is a pretty hard limit to what you can reach, especially since in the main game most maps don’t change in elevation very much. And again most buildings and other structures you would now be able to land on have collision data even if you aren’t supposed to be able to reach them. I’ve gone to a lot of places you aren’t supposed to reach through creative and patient jumping and I can’t think of a time when I’ve found a place that was just a facade. Some places are not very detailed but that’s no big deal. In fact I was shocked how much was completed of areas you never were supposed to reach. The map that stands out to me is the Eye of the North map. Back when it was easy to break out of there using teleportation you could explore the area around it and the map was remarkably built (with the exception of underneath the structure of the eye which required some work to get to), even including collision data and trees even though you weren’t ever supposed to go there or even really see it.

And honestly I don’t understand why people care about map breaking anyway. If you’re doing it on purpose then you expect to see some things messed up, and when it happens accidentally it’s more funny than anything else. The Skyhammer map has a bug which drops you out into the trippy watery world below on respawn that’s fairly common; it’s happened to me twice and while annoying because I couldn’t participate in the match, it didn’t destroy the game for me.

And while it probably seems like a small thing to some people, for me bringing gliding into the core game would be huge. I doubt it will happen, which is a shame because gliding is my favorite thing this game has added in three years, but to experience it I’m forced to stay in the HOT maps. And I’ll be honest, the HOT maps are starting to wear a bit thin.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The idea that the maps would have to be rebuilt from the ground up is simply wrong, no matter how much it’s repeated. At the most a bit of collision data would have to be added because there are actually very few facades in GW2, with the notable exception of Divinity’s Reach and a few other cities and places beyond the edge of the map.

If it were “that easy”, they would do it in a heartbeat. Even if you are right that it’s just “a bit of collision data” (which is almost certainly not true, considering how hard a time they have filling in existing gaps for non-gliding issues), the QA effort to review all the potential issues would be extensive.

Besides that, there are all sorts of puzzles and fights that assume no gliding; those would have to be reviewed and modified as needed.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

I don’t think this is a great idea, but I’m still gonna defend some points.

Those puzzles you talk of, which exactly? All jumping puzzles can already be cheesed with mesmers/portal guns. And they could add some challenge mode to JP’s, like adventures in HoT, leaderboard etc. Just removes all your skills and the ability to glide. Have the free-mode allow anything.

Since you didn’t really give any example of any fight that would be negatively influenced by gliding in core tyria, I can’t think of any either. None of the worldbosses atleast. Gliding after using the jumping pad at Tequatl does sound fun.

I do think it would take some effort to implement it, but it could make core Tyria more interesting.