Bring Guild Wars 2 to Steam already!!!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Doflamingo.6957

Doflamingo.6957

Now that the base game of Guild Wars 2 is free whats the point of having it still in an abandoned place and not on Steam? If you were something like Blizzard’s Battle.net where it has 6 games and all of them are from the most played games in the world it would be ok but Guild Wars 2 is just 1 game not a client with many games and its really strange that its still not on Steam while guild wars 1 and other arena.net games are there. You wont loose anything by bringing it there, only gain a massive amount of new players even Riot Games (League of Legends creators) are making a client with more games like Battle.net so they wont have to bring league on Steam but GW2 should really be there. Even Wildstar is having a steam release soon

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

You apparently do not know the history of Guild Wars and Steam.

It will likely never occur due to the past.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

“You wont loose anything by bringing it there”

Yeah, except for money that is.

Steam always takes a cut of everything being sold, including gems.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

If Anet sell GW2 HoT on Steam they would have to pay a huge chunk of their income to Valve. For small games which need to show themselves the good may outweigh the bad, but for an already established game like GW2? Not needed. Anet is their own publisher now and take all the profits (well except then giving them to the parent company but that’s beside the point).

But then again with GW2 being f2p now Anet could technically cheat the system and put out GW2 on Steam with no cost, just download and go… I dont know what the terms say about payment to Valve for f2p games.

Posted by: Doflamingo.6957

Doflamingo.6957

It doesnt work like that, Steam doesnt take the money that Guild Wars 2 would sell from the in-game store. Only if they brought extra gem-dlcs on the steam store and people bought them from there, only then valve would take the 30% of the money otherwise the in-game marketplace is completely seperate from steam/valve

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

Its funny there are so many problems in this game and people discuss if gw2 should be sold at stream

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

A friend of mine already has gw2 set to their steam. Just do that, to get the word out.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

I hate Steam. I hate what they did with Skyrim for PC. I don’t want a world where I cannot shop at GameStop. I like those mall employees. I like seeing Americans have a job. I don’t like monopolies. Their Steam Fortress and reduced prices seduced you. You don’t see them as a mega corp taking over and making citizens jobless.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Steam is not the be-all-and-end-all of PC gaming. GW2 has done pretty well for itself over the last three years and doesn’t need to be on there.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

No steam please, guildwars has its own platform why need an extra layer and a company that takes a big cut of the profits.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

I hate Steam. I hate what they did with Skyrim for PC. I don’t want a world where I cannot shop at GameStop. I like those mall employees. I like seeing Americans have a job. I don’t like monopolies. Their Steam Fortress and reduced prices seduced you. You don’t see them as a mega corp taking over and making citizens jobless.

+1.

Replace Americans with people around the globe and it would be even better. Sadly, Valve is not even the worst offender in the general category of the new world order of mega corporation, it´s not even close to the worst offenders.

(edited by Torolan.5816)

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Now that the base game of Guild Wars 2 is free whats the point of having it still in an abandoned place and not on Steam? If you were something like Blizzard’s Battle.net where it has 6 games and all of them are from the most played games in the world it would be ok but Guild Wars 2 is just 1 game not a client with many games and its really strange that its still not on Steam while guild wars 1 and other arena.net games are there. You wont loose anything by bringing it there, only gain a massive amount of new players even Riot Games (League of Legends creators) are making a client with more games like Battle.net so they wont have to bring league on Steam but GW2 should really be there. Even Wildstar is having a steam release soon

You Sir, have no idea how Steams business model works.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

It doesnt work like that, Steam doesnt take the money that Guild Wars 2 would sell from the in-game store. Only if they brought extra gem-dlcs on the steam store and people bought them from there, only then valve would take the 30% of the money otherwise the in-game marketplace is completely seperate from steam/valve

Arenanet would have to give a cut of any gems sold via Steam, any game version sold via Steam, any bonus program run through steam.

Considering the Gem store is one of anets major income aspects of GW2, yeah I don’t buy them not losing out on money.

You could make an arguement that the exposure and potential added customers for more revenue might make up for those ties. I guess anet does not see it that way though, and why would they with GW2 base having gone f2p.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Funny, they do, that’s why EA pulled there games. Steam wanted a cut of everything.

Funny also that you don’t see other MMo’s on there like WoW, ToR etc. They don’t need steam to be successful.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Steam would definitely have an impact on the number of F2P players. F2P games are quite popular on Steam, even though the majority of them are mediocre.

Yes Valve will get a small cut of all sales, it doesn’t matter though because 1. You are getting purchasers who would not have bought the game otherwise 2. It would be hard for Valve to claim an additional cut from gems purchased through Best Buy, etc.

On a side note, the new vids coming out of preorder players playing GW2 on the Steam controller make it look really fun. You can easily add GW2 to your game library if you need to change the modifiers (left paddle+ABXY for skills 5678)

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

“1. You are getting purchasers who would not have bought the game otherwise”

Is that really true though?
Would people magically decide to start playing the game just because it happened to be on steam?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

steam is like a virus on games, first you see it “also offered on steam” and before you know it it’s depending on steam.
luckily there are plenty of companies smart enough to avoid steam like the plague, there is absolutely no reason to use steam other then getting everything in one place.

Scientia.8924

Would people magically decide to start playing the game just because it happened to be on steam?

I absolutely find this to be the case among my circle of gaming friends. There’s a few reasons but the main two are:

1. Steam overlay has a low footprint and very quickly lets you play music or pull up webpages without ever alt tabbing out. Besides convenience it is always better to run a game full screen for performance as well (and GW2 needs all the help it can get)

2. Lets a group of gaming friends easily view/share game content outside of the game, any time anywhere because Steam is accessible via even via cellphone & on Android, iOS, and Windows. Many guilds atm use Facebook, but many people in general are anti Facebook

(edited by Scientia.8924)

Zaron.1987

I absolutely find this to be the case among my circle of gaming friends. There’s a few reasons but the main two are:

1. Steam overlay has a low footprint and very quickly lets you play music or pull up webpages without ever alt tabbing out. Besides convenience it is always better to run a game full screen for performance as well (and GW2 needs all the help it can get)

2. Lets a group of gaming friends easily share content outside of the game, any time snywhere because Steam is accessible via cellphone on Android, iOS, and Windows. Many guilds atm use Facebook, but many people in general are anti Facebook

1. overwolf overlay

2. no words. shiny new world . be connected to game (content) 24/7 ….. o.O

Posted by: Nevermore.5487

Nevermore.5487

No please, I don’t want this game to have anything to do with Valve.

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

You can already use GW2 with the Steam overlay if you want to. There’s no reason to add it there. What would you even gain from doing so?

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Um…why? With the expansion coming out in a few weeks, is that really something they’d need to do now? I doubt it.

Scientia.8924

1. overwolf overlay

1. From my experience the Overwolf apps specific to GW2 were eiher poorly optimized, buggy/just slapped together, and not as transparent (not in the literal sense) as Steam overlay

2. Its a huge selling point to modern aggregate gaming clients. Those who don’t take advantage of it are definitely missing out, and those that do have useful tools for running a gaming community

Zaron.1987

1. overwolf overlay

1. From my experience the Overwolf apps specific to GW2 were eiher poorly optimized, buggy/just slapped together, and not as transparent (not in the literal sense) as Steam overlay

2. Its a huge selling point to modern aggregate gaming clients. Those who don’t take advantage of it are definitely missing out, and those that do have useful tools for running a gaming community

just start gw2 with steam overlay if you love your steam thingy that much and cant live without it

1. solved
2.solved

all happy only valve is sad of not getting 30% for doing nothing

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

add non-steam game
get over it

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: TheHeretic.3529

TheHeretic.3529

There is no benefit to neither ArenaNet nor players for putting GW2 on Steam.

Maybe I’m a thorn in your perfection
A heretic’s voice in your head
A stargazer, releaser

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

As was already said, there’s no benefit for GW2 to go to Steam. And, while I enjoy Steam, I’m perfectly happy keeping GW2 off of it.

Posted by: Iyeru.5240

Iyeru.5240

Steam takes money if they use the steam service for in-game purchases however (IE: If they want people to use steam wallet, (and by extension bypass ANet’s buying restriction systems, IE: Making it easier to buy gems.)) I am completely fine with keeping GW2 off steam, it’s not like you’d be able to link your current account to steam anyway so that you don’t have to re-buy the game.

* (A strange light fills the room. Twilight is shining ahead. You’re filled with, DETERMINATION.)

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

unsure how accurate it is, but it seem on avg Steam would take around 30% of money. so every 10$ gem sale means Anet may see 7$ of it. That a big lost, depending how much they may make, more so during the good market sales. So it might explain why sometimes things on Steam are a bit more expensive on the markets of games.