in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: isabella.1289

isabella.1289

please bring back Cantha

Bring back Cantha, please

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

I don’t think ANET wants to lose their market in China by kittening off China.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t think ANET wants to lose their market in China by kittening off China.

Why would anyone think that bringing back Cantha would do that?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Your suggestion has many supporters, though there were many posts about Elona and the Crystal Desert here, as well, and that seems more likely:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-Cantha-Thread-Merged

Good luck.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

No. We’re going north (southeast), to Vabbi!

Posted by: Nyel.1843

Nyel.1843

Elona first and maybe Cantha next.

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

In the Beta Version of Guild Wars 2 Diversity’s Reach actually had a Cantha District for those who remember like how there is a district based off of Elona but there was a problem.

South Koreans didn’t like how their a architect style was mixed with Chinese architect styles and vise versa. So what happened? Upon full release the Cantha District was turned into the Great Collapse again for those who remember and was then turned into The Crown Pavilion. Anet did this since South Korea (where NCSoft, Anet parent company is based) and China is a huge market for them and they didn’t want to upset either side.

Anet has said they would love to go back to Cantha but it’s still up in the air.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Western brits weren’t offended by the Sylvari

What about the Eastern Brits though? Those in Yorkshire, Northumberland, East Anglia ect? :P

Aren’t the Sylvari based on the picts and celts? afaik picts only lived in ireland, and celts were all through brittain, but mostly the western side.. I could be wrong, though. But if the eastern brits weren’t offended by it either, then it only enhances my original point

Nah, you’re probably correct on that one. I’m from the West (North West more precisely) and I found it nice that they gave Sylvari the Brit accent. It’s just we don’t really class ourselves as “Western” or “Eastern” Brits. We define ourselves more North or South if anything.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Illconceived Was Na.9781

South Koreans didn’t like how their a architect style was mixed with Chinese architect styles and vise versa. So what happened? Upon full release the Cantha District was turned into the Great Collapse again for those who remember and was then turned into The Crown Pavilion. Anet did this since South Korea (where NCSoft, Anet parent company is based) and China is a huge market for them and they didn’t want to upset either side.

There’s no evidence that that is true.

The sole comment on this theory comes from a single developer in a single interview who spitballed reasons as to why the Canthan district was removed — he had no direct knowledge of the motivation for the decision.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

The sole comment on this theory comes from a single developer in a single interview who spitballed reasons as to why the Canthan district was removed — he had no direct knowledge of the motivation for the decision.

As comments come and go, I’m starting to believe the decision was never made. Someone accidentally deleted Cantha, and everyone thought it was a decision thinking someone else made, and started to think what it could possibly be

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

As comments come and go, I’m starting to believe the decision was never made. Someone accidentally deleted Cantha, and everyone thought it was a decision thinking someone else made, and started to think what it could possibly be

Your joking right? You are saying you think someone at Anet accidentally deleted the Cantha District in Divinity’s Reach (if that’s what you are talking about) forcing them to rush to make something new for the area for release?

Do I have to answer this, guys?

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I would have been honored if I was from Asia and it was Asian themed in GW2, as it was in GW1.
The beauty, cutural, themes, places, story..!
I really hope ANet will change their mind and in our 3rd Expansion, we’ll go to Cantha and fight the underwater dragon, Bubbles.

I find it more weirder that NCsoft and ANet simply just banned and removed all Asian-Cantha themed stuff just like that instead of have and give us an actual story what happened in-game instead....
Let’s hope and pray to the Six! Maybe they will grant us blessings of Cantha’s return..

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

(edited by Alga.6498)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Of course a decision was made. My point is that ANet never gave a reason.

Besides that, there’s plenty of evidence of mixed styles in other games (including those made in the Eastern Hemisphere). It’s unlikely that anyone at ANet considered this an issue and it’s even more unlikely that someone at NCSOFT chose that one feature to micromanage.

We’ve seen a lot of examples in this game of things that seemed to make sense that were removed shortly before implementation. The replacement of the Canthan District with the sinkhole (and its own lore about its origins) is just one example.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If anyone wants to hear the Dev (Josh Foreman) response to/reason for removal of this content, it’s on this podcast at about 1 hour 46 minutes:

http://selfconfessedcynic.podbean.com/2012/12/22/a-lincolncast-interview-with-josh-foreman-episode-34/

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Uh… well after 4+ years and 2,814 postings from players asking for Cantha back in the game Anet has decided to… Bring back Elona!

Next thing you know they’ll use a Trenchcoat for our medium Legendary Armor. Oh, wait…

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Uh… well after 4+ years and 2,814 postings from players asking for Cantha back in the game Anet has decided to… Bring back Elona!

Next thing you know they’ll use a Trenchcoat for our medium Legendary Armor. Oh, wait…

You seem to be under the impression that no one was also asking for Elona.
There are even people (like myself) who would even prefer Elona over Cantha.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I, too, stated I preferred Elona/Crystal Desert over Cantha in every past Cantha thread. Thus, for some of us, it’s very good news! =)

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

So many people are willing to throw money for them to bring more Cantha content into the game, but well over 4 years since launch and barely any bleeps regarding any canthan content. And myself as many others agree it was one of the most appealing places in game. Big sigh. Elona’s cool ‘n all but I’m more drawn to oriental culture.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: Bast Bow.2958

Bast Bow.2958

Since they are moving towards elona, I’m now having high hopes the next big step will be to Cantha. Hopefully we’ll see something back from the assassin or ritualist too then, like the warrior’s spellbreaker resembles paragon. Also wondering and hoping they somehow will implement (elements of) the dervish too.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

If anyone wants to hear the Dev (Josh Foreman) response to/reason for removal of this content, it’s on this podcast at about 1 hour 46 minutes:

http://selfconfessedcynic.podbean.com/2012/12/22/a-lincolncast-interview-with-josh-foreman-episode-34/

I didn’t hear that comment at that time stamp, can you paraphrase it?

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Try 1 hour 44 minutes, then. It’s at the part where they ask Josh if he has any questions. In my podcast, for some reason, some of the Q and A was repeated.

Good luck.