Bring back Mad Memoires + Toymaker’s Bag

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I didn’t start playing GW2 actively until around last Christmas.

So I never got a chance to acquire said items and was quite disappointed to see that they had not returned for last Wintersday and this Halloween.

It would make me a happy camper if Anet found a way to re-introduce them into the game (or at least the Gem Store?).

Posted by: Albhedkah.2156

Albhedkah.2156

I agree. But I’m afraid that this items will not come back, like the pvp sets in the season 1. =/

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Are they not in the Wardrobe Unlock? No idea because I already have them all unlocked.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Neither the Toymaker’s Bag nor Mad Memoires (complete or otherwise) are in the unlock.

Should every skin be available to everyone? I’m not convinced. It’s a reasonable request, to be sure. All the same, I like the idea that a tiny number of skins depend on having been around at the right time & place — like being a “founding member” of a club, it offers a certain amount of warm fuzzies. (I was sad when GW1 gave up that idea, since I enjoyed being able to tell who was a long-time player from the Halloween or Wintersday caps they wore, even though it meant I wasn’t able to acquire them.)

I think this practice is only okay, so long as the number of such skins is very small and opportunities to acquire new “limited edition” skins are available to newbies. To date, the first requirement is met (I think there are less than half a dozen of these), but ANet hasn’t made any similar ones available recently.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Neither the Toymaker’s Bag nor Mad Memoires (complete or otherwise) are in the unlock.

Should every skin be available to everyone? I’m not convinced. It’s a reasonable request, to be sure. All the same, I like the idea that a tiny number of skins depend on having been around at the right time & place — like being a “founding member” of a club, it offers a certain amount of warm fuzzies. (I was sad when GW1 gave up that idea, since I enjoyed being able to tell who was a long-time player from the Halloween or Wintersday caps they wore, even though it meant I wasn’t able to acquire them.)

I think this practice is only okay, so long as the number of such skins is very small and opportunities to acquire new “limited edition” skins are available to newbies. To date, the first requirement is met (I think there are less than half a dozen of these), but ANet hasn’t made any similar ones available recently.

I agree that there should be a few skins that are of this nature (ie only available once), but the number should be small. They should be reserved for pretty large events, such as being a beta tester, having an account from day 1, playing through LWS1 when it was available, beta testing HoT. Stuff like that.

I don’t know if I can consider Mad Memories to be one of those skins because it was an event skin that you received through an annual event (even though it was only released once). If each Halloween came with its own unique skin then I would be perfectly fine with Mad Memories not being available again. I think part of the reason that people want it back is because it was implied that it would come back every year due to being tied to an annual event, and yet it hasn’t with no explanation from ANet.

Posted by: vicious.5683

vicious.5683

I agree that there should be a few skins that are of this nature (ie only available once), but the number should be small. They should be reserved for pretty large events, such as being a beta tester, having an account from day 1, playing through LWS1 when it was available, beta testing HoT. Stuff like that.

I don’t know if I can consider Mad Memories to be one of those skins because it was an event skin that you received through an annual event (even though it was only released once). If each Halloween came with its own unique skin then I would be perfectly fine with Mad Memories not being available again. I think part of the reason that people want it back is because it was implied that it would come back every year due to being tied to an annual event, and yet it hasn’t with no explanation from ANet.

That wasn’t an anual event, was a year specific quest or mission you had to complete at that time to get the skin. It must remain exclusive to people who were there at the time. It was fun, it was hard and special.
Please don’t bring that skin ever again. It’s one of the few time specific skins we have in all GW2.

Posted by: mrme.5817

mrme.5817

That wasn’t an anual event, was a year specific quest or mission you had to complete at that time to get the skin. It must remain exclusive to people who were there at the time. It was fun, it was hard and special.
Please don’t bring that skin ever again. It’s one of the few time specific skins we have in all GW2.

I wouldn’t mind them not being reintroduced, as long as they give those of us who had the achievement the unlock. I’m sad that they didn’t retroactively unlock the skin when wardrobe was introduced and I had gotten rid of it.
I know many who had it but didn’t keep them till the wardrobe came out.

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

Mad Memories / Mad Memories Complete Edition are a special case, because if they had been transmuted the skin was lost when the Wardrobe update was introduced (the old skin was not recognised).
Therefore, many people have earned the skin during the first Halloween event, used the backpack, carried it around and might even still wear it – and still lost the skin due to the engine no counting the original skin.

Adding the skin to the Laurel vendor that sells old LS items from season 1 should be no problem, except the will to do so by Anet Devs.
They could even cross reference with the associated meta achievement we still have attached to our accounts.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Just as an FYI…if you had either Mad Memories skins, and lost them before the wardrobe implementation…often times Customer Support can return those to you. I have read threads before where people asked about it, and several replies posted stating to open a ticket, and if they can verify you got it, they mail it back to you to unlock in your wardrobe.

I’m not sure if they can do the same for Toymaker’s Bag…but I would think if it can be verified, they would do the same for that one as well.

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

They should not add old skins, one time skins or especial seasonal skins at all, it is just going to start an uphill of threads asking for more, if they add just ONE then add everysingle one back even the historical in BLC

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Just as an FYI…if you had either Mad Memories skins, and lost them before the wardrobe implementation…often times Customer Support can return those to you. I have read threads before where people asked about it, and several replies posted stating to open a ticket, and if they can verify you got it, they mail it back to you to unlock in your wardrobe.

Hmm. Thanks for this bit of info as I am going to attempt this. I have proof via completed 2012 achievements in the Historical Panel to show as a screenshot that I was there. I am one of those that lost the skins during the Wardrobe change.

Not sure how far they are willing to go since I never thought about sending in a ticket about it as I assumed it was just lost forever. I’ll update on the results, though.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Posted by: Stiofan.6720

Stiofan.6720

Of course they should bring it back, Some people need to stop being so self-centred.

Was I upset when they gave Mr Sparkles which I had to go and get a real life code for to everyone who spent money on the gem store, No because I am not shallow like that.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Of course they should bring it back, Some people need to stop being so self-centred.

Was I upset when they gave Mr Sparkles which I had to go and get a real life code for to everyone who spent money on the gem store, No because I am not shallow like that.

This! Thanks, I was starting to feel bad for asking in the first place.

P.S. New annual seasonal skins would be nice to have, too, by the way.

Posted by: vicious.5683

vicious.5683

I wouldn’t mind them not being reintroduced, as long as they give those of us who had the achievement the unlock. I’m sad that they didn’t retroactively unlock the skin when wardrobe was introduced and I had gotten rid of it.
I know many who had it but didn’t keep them till the wardrobe came out.

you just need to send a ticket to support team.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m not being self-centered when I ask for skins to be limited to those around at a certain time & place. In particular, I enjoyed that feature of GW1 even though the skins I wanted remained unavailable to me while GW1 kept the skins specific to each year’s festivals.

It’s about enjoying the idea that I can see who was playing at certain times. To me, it’s similar to wearing a T-Shirt from running the Boston Marathon 2010: if you ran it, you should have the shirt; if you didn’t (or at least aren’t shacking up with someone who did), you should not. At least, not in my opinion.

Some people like all skins to be available to everyone, including, of course, completionists, who want all the skins. It’s a different point of view, not any better or worse than wanting some things to be limited.

tl;dr try not to presume the motivation of people who disagree; it’s enough to simply offer your own opinion.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

I’ve got both versions of the Toymaker bag and some other time-limited stuff (Witch Hat among others), and would be happy to see it make a comeback for the ones that didn’t get the chance. When I wear these, it’s because I think they look nice, not because it makes me feel exclusive.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

I’m not being self-centered when I ask for skins to be limited to those around at a certain time & place. In particular, I enjoyed that feature of GW1 even though the skins I wanted remained unavailable to me while GW1 kept the skins specific to each year’s festivals.

It’s about enjoying the idea that I can see who was playing at certain times. To me, it’s similar to wearing a T-Shirt from running the Boston Marathon 2010: if you ran it, you should have the shirt; if you didn’t (or at least aren’t shacking up with someone who did), you should not. At least, not in my opinion.

Some people like all skins to be available to everyone, including, of course, completionists, who want all the skins. It’s a different point of view, not any better or worse than wanting some things to be limited.

tl;dr try not to presume the motivation of people who disagree; it’s enough to simply offer your own opinion.

Exactly. The Mad Memories skin(s) were rewards in a very long and detailed scavenger hunt, in which you uncovered Lore about King Thorn. Some of us were still relatively low levels, and had to have help getting into some of the areas. Keep in mind, this was before the wardrobe, so if you wanted a character to have the thing, he had to do the WHOLE quest for each toon.

While I’m not one for exclusivity in general, in this case, I think it should stay how it is, UNLESS they bring back the whole quest line to get it, to make it fair, both for those of us who worked for it, and those that want it now.

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

I’ve always held that wanting skins tied to one off events to remain unobtainable is selfish- there’s a wide variety of reasons why people miss out on certain events over the lifetime of a game, and it stikes me as being incredibly petty to want to withhold things from them for what was, in some case, personal misfortune.

That being said, I do agree that any re-released skins should have similar time/effort requirements as the originals. I find that the journey is usually the best part of it, anyway.

(edited by Batelle.1680)

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

I was one of the people who went to extremes to get Mad Memoires, even helping guildies get them with very low level toons. Really it’s now just the skin but I wouldn’t mind if they brought it back, providing people had to put a similar level of effort in.

As to the toymaker’s bag I tend to agree with Illconceived Was Na. I too spent a lot of time in GW1 and noted the collector’s items that I could never get. It was an item that was given to early people at Christmas. I think they might consider changing the design a bit and give a ‘new’ skin rather than the old one.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

While we are at it, bring back Aetherblade sets and the old Witch hat !

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I want Toymaker’s Bag. ;_;

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

the boston shirt example from that guy pretty much nailed it, why stuff should not come back (anything)

if they bring back anything then i want to them bring back everything, even historical stuff, like gem store items, tittles and achievements

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

the boston shirt example from that guy pretty much nailed it, why stuff should not come back (anything)

if they bring back anything then i want to them bring back everything, even historical stuff, like gem store items, tittles and achievements

The boston shirt example misses its mark though. In a marathon there will be a new shirt every year that you can collect that shows which year you went. With halloween, there isn’t a new skin every year. There is only the one. The two situations are not that comparable because of this.