Bring in a new playable race

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ubergamer.3169

ubergamer.3169

I’ve been playing since the beta and i absolutely love guild wars 2! I love the direction the game is going both in story and in content but I feel there is something missing. In short Guild wars 2 needs a new playable race!

all of the races in the current game are incredible and unique but after diving deeper into the lore of the game i am only left wondering why the devs hadnt included a new race by now? i understand from a story telling perspective adding in a new race would add some continuity issues ie killing zhaitan. but i’ve seen creative game developers provide interesting and creative ways of adding in new races to their mmos without disrupting the over all story.
The best and most logical addition to the game in my opinnion would be the tengu as there are so many points in the story that would warrant the involvment of the tengu to the rest of tyria. I know they were originally being considered as a playable race but were later scrapped but it alwasy felt like they might have had a place to come into the story later on. any ways i guess as a player im left a bit confused because in HoT the tengu model was updated completely and usually in other mmo’s thats an indicator of some kind of larger role the model will play but in Hot you find tengu in some of the hidden canopy areas and they are only one enemy type or they appear in the raid I think? plus the newer model is used to update an older tengu character the black smith guy i noticed that when i made my revnant and went through the personal story again.

I guess i feel in the dark as a player, is there going to to be a new race? ( I know nothing can be for sure just because of the nature of the discussion) or is it even a possiblility in the devs mind? also i feel if a new race was added it would bring a lot more people back to the game and would be sort of refreshing and also very exciting for new players and old alike. and if you do bring the tengu in a future expansion atleast one new weapon would be awesome as well! so i guess i want to know what the community or devs think of this in the year 2017 looking towards the future especially with the upcoming expansion.

TL;DR : gw2 needs to bring in a new playable race preferably the tengu.

(edited by ubergamer.3169)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Aieee please edit to put in paragraphs!

Best as I can tell, you haven’t said anything not already asked and debated many times (as you note). The answer tends to boil down to ANet having decided not to expand player races because in this game race is cosmetic. They’d have to make a new starting area, work out what to do about the 10-80 PS and all the voice acting involved, work out what to do with the LS chapters and all their voice acting, rework armor to fit the new race.

All in all, they’d have to put in enormous amounts of work to let people essentially have a new skin, with resources they time and time again have shown to be stretched to their limit.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I have yet to see a single argument that shows how adding a new race would make the game better in any way.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I have yet to see a single argument that shows how adding a new race would make the game better in any way.

It would give casual people something else to level for one. So much of the new content is centered around hard content. That is it’s more geared for people with a higher skill set. A new race with a new starting area would change the game up for people who just want to level more alts and are tired of the five they have.

I’m an alt guy and I’d absolutely welcome a new race.

That said I don’t see us getting one either way.

Posted by: Sister Saxifrage.7361

Sister Saxifrage.7361

Endless tonics are as close as we’re going to get, I think. They struggle to put out armor skins as it is.

OriOri.8724

@Vayne – What’s stopping said casual players from just making a new character from one of the 5 races we already have though? I still don’t think a new race would make the game better in any way. It just doesn’t add anything.

Posted by: Prothescar.7842

Prothescar.7842

Endless tonics are as close as we’re going to get, I think. They struggle to put out armor skins as it is.

I think these are a great compromise. Can turn them on/off as needed and collect as many as you want. Just wish they’d convert more of them to combat tonics.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Better in what way?

I’m not big on leveling alts, but I like doing the early stories. All of the charr stories are a lot of fun, as are nearly all the asura and sylvari stories. It would be a lot of fun to have a new race, just to see how the other, um, sixth lives.

Do I think it’s worth investing half the amount of resources to a new race as it would be to build more living world/current event stuff? No.
(Even worse, it would add to the costs of adding new armor sets.)

All the same, it would improve a big part of the role playing/story telling part of the game.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

OriOri.8724

I still don’t see how it would make the game better.

It would require a LOT of developer resources devoted to something that already only a small amount of players want. It adds no endgame content. It adds no new classes. It adds no new weapon/armor skins.

From a roleplay perspective, it adds nothing that a simple endless tonic couldn’t add. Nothing.

It just adds nothing to the game.

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

New gem store item

Character slot with a new playable race but with the stuff already in GW2 like quaggans and skritts, but there’s no story, just gotta do hearts and events and whatnot

(edited by Loading.4503)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^And no armor, as well?

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

It would require a LOT of developer resources devoted to something that already only a small amount of players want..

Wait, when did we start talking about raids?

(also, just because you don’t want a new race doesn’t mean that other people don’t, it’s been one of the more common requests on the forums over the years).

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I still don’t see how it would make the game better.

It would require a LOT of developer resources devoted to something that already only a small amount of players want. It adds no endgame content. It adds no new classes. It adds no new weapon/armor skins.

From a roleplay perspective, it adds nothing that a simple endless tonic couldn’t add. Nothing.

It just adds nothing to the game.

You mean, it adds nothing that you care about. It definitely adds a lot for other people, other wise there wouldn’t be a new thread about it every month or so.

I’m in agreement with you that it’s an inefficient use of resources for ANet; it’s not the best thing for them to do with their limited time. That’s not the same as it having no value.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

If they want to introduce it they have to do it differently. Like the Pandaren in WoW: Only unique armor specifically made fro this new race, no personal story for the old content but a new one for the new expansion or whatever. It would work like this. I’d love it.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

Its Fashion Wars 2, your style is the goal of the game. And your character’s race IS the most important part of how you look, with armor and weapons build on top of it. Why do you think everyone whine about mounts so much? Because theu want to run 25% faster? Of course no, lol, they just want to look great on top of that giant lizard or whatever.
Besides, as WoW showed, new races can be one of selling points of the expansion. I have a friend, who occasionally mensioned, that implementation of new playable race can be a selling point for him in GW2 expansion 2. Cause of all Tiria races he likes visually only asura and tengu, but got bored of asura after 4 characters.

(edited by Ider.1276)

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

So much of the new content is centered around hard content.

As someone who came over after M59, EQ1, DAoC and WoW, honestly I don’t get this part.

It is true that some of the new content (read: raids) is more difficult than previous content. Yes It is also true that HoT-and-onwards mobs in general (though they toned it down a lot after ep1) are more difficult than vanilla mobs.

But even including that, GW2 is so enjoyable because of how leisure-super-easy it is. Everything. The raiding, the FotM, the mobs, I can pull groups of veterans and basically just hammer all my buttons to defeat them, and it feels fantastic because of how powerful it feels.

What about this is difficult? The very absence of difficulty is why I (now lacking time to properly invest into a MMO) came to this game to begin with. :o

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

If they want to introduce it they have to do it differently. Like the Pandaren in WoW: Only unique armor specifically made fro this new race, no personal story for the old content but a new one for the new expansion or whatever. It would work like this. I’d love it.

Not to mention, other “hero” classes in WoW had level requirements (ie, had to have another character above level 58-60 for Death Knights) as a method of locking them behind play experience.

Something similar could be done with a new race in GW2. Might be a slap in the face to consider, but a 1-point Tyrian Mastery or some kind of small Collection that proves the main story has been finished would unlock the race as playable. Then, the new race gets its own playable story to explain where that hero was during the previous events, eventually joining the main story.
It’d be a bit spotty in regard to all the Commander of the Pact stuff, but that could still, in theory, be part of that hero-timeline’s background story. A sort of whirlwind play-through of all the previously major plot points (because everyone deserves to flag-stab Scarlet), and the new character’s ready to go.

For reals though, 90$ waiting on Tengu. I even have names picked out, starting with my new Necromancer. Gimme.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

IMO one of the best part of the whole game were the first levels of the personal story, only because they explored, hands on, the different cultures from GW2 world.

A new race would (should) add that: tangible, close to the player lore. IMO that is totally worth the work it needs.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Peacock.6412

Peacock.6412

I think these are a great compromise. Can turn them on/off as needed and collect as many as you want. Just wish they’d convert more of them to combat tonics.

Quaggan Combat Tonic would make a lot of people happy.

Unashamedly Qoo Qoo for Quaggans!