Bug or legit?

Bug or legit?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fishae.2503

Fishae.2503

i think theres a broker bug, im seeing buy orders of 500k for gold ore, 1 million for silver ore, 500k for silver ingot

is this some ppl exploiting a bug? attempts at duping items?

edit: the buy order prices are normal, but the amount is extremely high

(edited by Fishae.2503)

Bug or legit?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I wouldn’t say a bug but possibly one way gold sellers can get around the person to person trading system. If people are actually buying these items for these prices it should send alarm bells to Anet.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Bug or legit?

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Gold sellers most likely.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Bug or legit?

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

i think theres a broker bug, im seeing buy orders of 500k for gold ore, 1 million for silver ore, 500k for silver ingot

Those items and others have very little use in the game to 99.99% of the players and it’s long been rumored that game developers have a mechanic to place buy orders to keep them from dropping below a certain world value.

At least that’s my guess but i have nothing to back it up.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Bug or legit?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Those items and others have very little use in the game to 99.99% of the players and it’s long been rumored that game developers have a mechanic to place buy orders to keep them from dropping below a certain world value.

The developers have no need to micromanage the economy like that; it would be a colossal waste of their time.

The existence of a rumor isn’t really enough to take it seriously.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Bug or legit?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I wouldn’t say a bug but possibly one way gold sellers can get around the person to person trading system. If people are actually buying these items for these prices it should send alarm bells to Anet.

How would gold sellers be getting around person to person trading with 1 million silver ore buy orders? I’m not seeing it and would appreciate an explanation of how that works.

What’s more likely to me is people buying silver ore cheap at large volume to refine into ingots to sell. Buying volumes of cheap mats to make a few gold is what I suspect is happening.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Bug or legit?

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I thought it was common to put up fake buy orders to use the TP as your bank after the wallet patch.

(we used to have a personal bank we could store money in for those that came to the game after the Wallet patch)

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Bug or legit?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I thought it was common to put up fake buy orders to use the TP as your bank after the wallet patch.

(we used to have a personal bank we could store money in for those that came to the game after the Wallet patch)

You can. But if they are fake in order to store your gold in the trading post then you don’t want them filled. Putting buy orders in the usual sell range (like these) will eventually get it filled. If you’re going to put in fake buy orders to store your gold then you put in an unreasonably low price for an expensive item, such as 100 gold for a Legendary weapon.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Bug or legit?

Posted by: JaddynnStarr.5201

JaddynnStarr.5201

so…. tell me again why we would need to store gold? we have an unlimited purse that keeps it for us already. and trust me… no one has reached the limit to what the purse can hold, and nor will they ever. I am responding to specific answers about using it to STORE gold, not TRANSFER gold….

Bug or legit?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

How would gold sellers be getting around person to person trading with 1 million silver ore buy orders? I’m not seeing it and would appreciate an explanation of how that works.

What’s more likely to me is people buying silver ore cheap at large volume to refine into ingots to sell. Buying volumes of cheap mats to make a few gold is what I suspect is happening.

Buy orders? I thought sell, my bad. Oh and btw we are talking a “single” ore here for vast amounts of cash not bulk amounts (or so I thought).

I don’t get the storage thing either, why would someone take the risk of doing that and then someone come along and sell them that item and take all their cash? Makes no sense….

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Bug or legit?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This topic reminds me of my year 9 science teacher walking around the classroom chanting “Units, units, units!” The OP’s post (before the edit) didn’t make it clear whether they were talking about people putting in orders for 1 gold ore at 100,000g or an order at a normal price for 100,000 gold ore.

If it was the first one then it would look like gold seller behaviour (although that only works with items which are very rarely traded, since you can only accept the lowest sell price so there need to be no cheaper ones on offer).

Since it’s the second – there are very large numbers of gold or silver ore being purchased at normal prices – I think it’s just normal trading post behaviour.

One thing you need to remember about the TP is that it groups together all orders at the same price. If I put in a bid to buy 250 gold ore at 1s each and then another bid for 250 ore at 1s, then you put in a bid for 150 ore at the same price the TP will simply show 650 at 1s. Similarly if 1,000 people all try to sell 1 copy of an item at the same price it will show as one listing of 1,000 units for that price.

With some items that would be unusual because people will usually try to out price each other to get a quick sale, but with items where very high volumes are traded all the time you don’t need to worry about that. Even if you have to wait for me to get my 500 gold ore before you get your 150 it may only take a couple of minutes, and it will save you money over putting in a higher bid to beat me.

It may be a long-running rumour but it’s the first I’ve heard of it. Do you mean it’s something you’ve personally suspected for a long time?

And if that’s the case why didn’t they do it when T5 materials (particularly Thick Leather, Silk and Elder Wood) prices hit rock bottom? There’s been times when those materials were worth less on the TP than if you sold them to an NPC merchant (this was before they added minimum prices to the TP) and you literally couldn’t give them away because everyone had so many of them.

Surely it would have been easier for them to manipulate the TP prices than to create or modify entire crafting systems to eat up large amounts of those items so supply would sink, demand would increase and the price would go up?

Having said that you’re right that the developers have a mechanic to place buy orders – many of them have at least 1 GW2 account (I think Gaile has 2, one with a different name so she can be anonymous) and like everyone else they can place buy orders on the TP.

But we’ve been told repeatedly that they can’t just create items and gold out of nowhere, they have to earn it like everyone else. Apparently a few people do have extra abilities – the examples I’ve heard are sending game-wide messages that appear in the middle of your screen like the ‘A ley line event is starting’ ones and manually creating or closing copies of a map. But every time they do something like that it’s recorded and they have to explain why they did it and can get in serious trouble if it’s not for a good reason.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Bug or legit?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Yep, looked like someone(s) is trying to stop gold and silver ore from dropping too far. Took roughly an hour to submit 1 million bids for silver, half that for 1/2 million for gold. Thats one stack bid every second, doable if you have 3.5 K of gold laying around (spent 2.5 K of gold on the silver bids).

They may be investing into the rumors that Jewelry 500 will finally be coming so they expect an influx of players leveling Jewelry as well as needing silver and gold for an ascended mat. There’s still a spot for Xunlai Electrum Ingot in the mat storage. If the formula for ascended mats is maintained, needing T2-T5 to craft, well silver and gold is T2 and T3 jewelry mats. This way they build up a supply of those mats to sell when prices spike when ascended jewelry finally arrives.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Bug or legit?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

so…. tell me again why we would need to store gold? we have an unlimited purse that keeps it for us already. and trust me… no one has reached the limit to what the purse can hold, and nor will they ever. I am responding to specific answers about using it to STORE gold, not TRANSFER gold….

I ‘store’ gold on the TP to reduce my spending. If I have 100g, I’m more likely to spend 20g than if my wallet is at 40g. I could set myself a budget, but then I’d have to track how much I spend. It’s easier just to remove the coin from the wallet, artificially capping the amount.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”