Build Template System - Incoming?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yoh.8469

Yoh.8469

Well, now we know that on the 15th of April, in the feature patch that trait points can now be reset at any time (outside of combat) and it’s free to do so.

And for anyone who is a vet of Guild Wars, we all know where this is going.
The next most logical QOL change continuing of from this is going to be a Template system. Calling it now.

You will be able to save your builds, and probably equipment too since weapons skills are tied to equipment, and you will also be able to trade these templates via a hexadecimal code to other players.
This will be helpful for vets to remember their numerous builds, but it will be fantastic for new players to be able to get a working build, even if they don’t know why it works, giving them a leg up.

This is all obvious, Arenanet might as well come out and say as much. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are already working on one.

-
However, I would like to see one addition to this. A build crafting system.
Where you can theory craft you build, figure out what equipment and skills you want (for any profession), even if you don’t have them yet, and see what stats you would get and how strong your skills will be as a result, and save that build.

You could probably also save them according to what game mode they are for.
We all pretty much use 3rd party websites for this anyway, you might as well bring it in house, the game will be much better off for it.

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

This was my first thought as well as soon as the traits stuff came out. If it’s not in the pipelines already, it should be.

1. I’m constantly swapping builds depending on what I’m playing (wvw, dungeons, eotm, pve, JPs)
  2. Players are always asking what build they should run for certain content. A template would make to so much easier to show them.
  3. Players come up with builds and ask for feedback. This would help a ton with that.
Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

(edited by Beorn Saxon.4762)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

There are already several of those online. While it would be nice to have such a feature in game, i dont think its high on their priority list.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Devs have specifically mentioned working on it.

No ETA. No announcement. No false hopes.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Yoh.8469

Really? Do you have a link or quote from them?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Yoh.8469

Excellent. I expected as much, now we play the waiting game.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I wouldnt hold my breath, Their pvp tech reduced stats and combinations, supposedly so there is less data, so from a basic data stance, they seem to be no closer.
Of course that maybe marketing speak, but thats what they said.

Not only that but pvp apparently uses a different info for stats. Our actual stats arent considered.

the major issue with build templates, they havent tackled, is the equipment factor. Ideally a template system should also swap gear (since build is heavily gear based in this game) but a gear swap system would kind of needs equipment to be stored in seperate inventory, or have stats as unlocks. Either system seems like its not something they have considered yet, and neither works perfectly with transmutation system, though they could kinda fit in.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Hopes… We have come a long, hard way, only to be reminded to not use the words “hope” and “GuildWars 2” in one sentence.

Posted by: Pjwned.3601

Pjwned.3601

We even had equipment templates for PvP in the original game so if we don’t get any templates of any kind, but most importantly skill/trait templates, I’m going to be sorely disappointed.

I wouldnt hold my breath, Their pvp tech reduced stats and combinations, supposedly so there is less data, so from a basic data stance, they seem to be no closer.
Of course that maybe marketing speak, but thats what they said.

Not only that but pvp apparently uses a different info for stats. Our actual stats arent considered.

the major issue with build templates, they havent tackled, is the equipment factor. Ideally a template system should also swap gear (since build is heavily gear based in this game) but a gear swap system would kind of needs equipment to be stored in seperate inventory, or have stats as unlocks. Either system seems like its not something they have considered yet, and neither works perfectly with transmutation system, though they could kinda fit in.

People tended to just store extra equipment in their bags in the original game and they had quite a bit less bag space to work with. That being said though, there wasn’t very much need to swap equipment around either (which was a good thing) since your build relied on skills & attributes far more than it did on gear, which was only really changed by inscriptions & runes.

(edited by Pjwned.3601)

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

Yeah, in last livestream when someone asked about templates one of dev said this update is the first step!