Build template in pof?

Build template in pof?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

Anet, any chance that this will be included in PoF?

Build template in pof?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I would guess, if it was a feature in Path of Fire, they would have announced it along with Mounts and new Elite Specializations.

Though, one can always hope.

Good luck.

Build template in pof?

Posted by: Protest.9750

Protest.9750

they could have literally did JUST build templates and i would have been happy to wait longer for the xpac. It make me very sad to not see that in the game still. rift still has a +1 on guild wars for this.

Build template in pof?

Posted by: Marshall Sed.8643

Marshall Sed.8643

they could have literally did JUST build templates and i would have been happy to wait longer for the xpac. It make me very sad to not see that in the game still. rift still has a +1 on guild wars for this.

You obviously mean that Rift has a +1 on Guild Wars 2!

Guild Wars had templates.

Sorry…that was me….. :(

Build template in pof?

Posted by: Magnuzone.8395

Magnuzone.8395

Historically Anet never liked to redo old things. Even if it was success. They avoid it as long as they can and try to come up with other things instead.

We had a few fun as hell events in old Guild Wars that we will never see again. And it was not as obvious as some ppl think that the SAB came back again.

Would love to see templates though. Maybe along with a clothing rack so you can just switch build and armor/trinkets at the same time.

Build template in pof?

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Build template in pof?

Posted by: Seiken.3176

Seiken.3176

We know Anet can’t/don’t want to implement a build template like GW1.

I can understand this thing could be difficult, but, why don’t just add some duplicate Hero Panel Skills and Equipment + Hero Build ?

ALL PLAYERS would love to have, at least 3 to 5 different :
- Skills
- Hero – Equipment
- Hero – Build
with a shortcut to switch between them at any moment (out of combat of course).

This way, we can switch build/trinkets very fast : I wan’t to play zerk in PVE, then condi in fractal/raid, then support/heal.
Switching gear/build took minutes each play session, hours each weeks, days each year … it could be done is seconds with multiple hero panels.

Build template in pof?

Posted by: Halandir.3609

Halandir.3609

Basic rule #1: Anet v2 will not do anything Anet v1 did.

Go to “generic mmo xxx” and get them to implement the feature you want: Anet v2. will jump through hoops to implement same feature.

Build template in pof?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Actually, a while (a long while) after launch, they said they did want to add build templates, after thinking (pre-launch) that it was a bad for the game. They said they had some ideas and they’d eventually get around to thinking about they might go about implementing it.

In other words: it’s on their list, but never near the top.

(I don’t know why and honestly, I don’t care. I’d rather they started implementing incomplete solutions and work-arounds than to leave us with nothing. Snapshots of builds that we can’t load would be better than no snapshots, for example.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Build template in pof?

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

(I don’t know why and honestly, I don’t care. I’d rather they started implementing incomplete solutions and work-arounds than to leave us with nothing. Snapshots of builds that we can’t load would be better than no snapshots, for example.)

Yeah, I fully agree. It doesn’t have to be 100% complete and fully featured in order to be useful. I’d be happy with it just remembering my traits and skills, for example. I can swap gear manually.

Build template in pof?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Yeah, I fully agree. It doesn’t have to be 100% complete and fully featured in order to be useful. I’d be happy with it just remembering my traits and skills, for example. I can swap gear manually.

That would be good. I’m even more forgiving: take a snapshot that gets placed side by side: I can match traits & skills to that easily. Sure, that’s more work, but I’d rather have something that makes it so I don’t have to memorize choices.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Build template in pof?

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

That would be good. I’m even more forgiving: take a snapshot that gets placed side by side: I can match traits & skills to that easily. Sure, that’s more work, but I’d rather have something that makes it so I don’t have to memorize choices.

Oh yeah, I see, yeah that’d be fine too. Anything really.

It’s a pity though, they have the beginnings of this already in the game. Just go to the sPvP lobby on any character, bring up your pvp build and select a default build from the bottom right. When you do it’ll equip weapons, select amulet, runes, sigils, skills, choose pets on rangers and so on. The entire build is applied.

Of course it’s easier in PvP, you can select the first greatsword you come across, you don’t have to worry about stats and all.

Build template in pof?

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I can understand this thing could be difficult, but, why don’t just add some duplicate Hero Panel Skills and Equipment + Hero Build ?

ALL PLAYERS would love to have, at least 3 to 5 different :
- Skills
- Hero – Equipment
- Hero – Build
with a shortcut to switch between them at any moment (out of combat of course).

This way, we can switch build/trinkets very fast : I wan’t to play zerk in PVE, then condi in fractal/raid, then support/heal.
Switching gear/build took minutes each play session, hours each weeks, days each year … it could be done is seconds with multiple hero panels.

For the short version…. their UI system and datastorage doesn’t support it in its current form. A lot of the original code for the game was “for purpose” and made a LOT of assumptions pm how things were handled under the hood. Understand that GW2’s engine is a heavily modified version of the engine from GW1; but its selectively overhauled to support specific features needed for the game.

What that usually means is any feature or function that doesn’t require a lot of attention for project goals, tends to get kludge solutions that make it work in one specific case… but will immediately break the moment you try to change anything related to it. You can kludge another solution for short term results…. but eventually its better to overhaul it with a better design and a more robust set of standards, so you can more easily build on top of it without having to redo bandaid fixes every time.

The reason this rarely happens is due to the man hour and schedule cost needed to make it happen. It could literally take months, depending on how deep in the code the limitation is being created; and the deeper it is in the code, the more things it impacts as a collateral concern. As an example….. Super Adventure Box was built on multiple quirks in the old physics system. When they overhauled the physics for the Glider and Mushrooms, it essentially broke the methods used in the Super Adventure Box on a very fundamental level. To fix it, they have to redo, or even redesign parts of the map to utilize the new method of physics that came with the overhaul.

For the case of loadouts…. the equipment system has to move away from single defined values, and replace them with a reference to another system that can call/select from 2 or more tables containing the loadout data. They also have to go in and change how the game, and the UI, handle equip/unequip events, so the game doesn’t accidentally merge 2 values and corrupt the data. You could kludge it by making a load/unload macro… but the moment you rename one of those variables, or have to add a task concerning meta data, the perpetual maintenance starts to cost more time then it ever saved. Instead, you break apart the UI and character data elements, and build a framework with intent of being able to load and unload an entire table of data, as well as validating and altering meta data tags for equipment if warranted. That way if anything changes, you can change the UI portion and Character data table/structure portion to reflect the updates, but the load/unload process is completely agnostic, and would only need minimal maintenance beyond that. And because the behavior is now standardized, you can use it to build additional features that utilize it easier, and with lower risk of regression.

Of all the changes made to the game’s core features, its actually a little surprising to realize the Equipment panel has largely remained untouched since the beginning. The inventory system hasn’t really changed that much either, aside from a few layers of updates to support new sub-menu options. I believe the single biggest change to that window was the migration of the Wallet from the hero panel, and its ability to be context sensitive to map currency.