Buying Gems, and trading for gold.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Bobby Vang.2380

Bobby Vang.2380

So I was wondering if I bought the 800 Gems through the store, and traded it through the trading post I would net a average 144 Gold total because they are going for 18S per gem?

Do I have something wrong here?

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

It’s per 100 gems.

Bobby Vang.2380

Ah, I see. Thanks a lot then. So 800 Gems would get 14.4 Gold then. Thanks a lot for the answer.

Posted by: Player.9621

Player.9621

watch the market line too, it fluctuates drastically and could net a larger yield if timed right

Bobby Vang.2380

Thanks a lot then.

Posted by: Salvation.2491

Salvation.2491

actually you’ll only get 1.44 Gold

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

actually you’ll only get 1.44 Gold

Correct.

So please be aware, that at current prices, you would have to be absolutely blithering pants-on-head insane to buy gems for real money, and sell them for gold.

Posted by: Shael.4703

Shael.4703

It’s “xx silver to 100 gems” and “100 gems to xx silver” to make it easier.

Also, you have to remember that the exchange rate for “silver to gem” and “gem to silver” are separate. They don’t affect each other, not like in the real-world wherein two-way exchanging affects the value because they share the same computation.

My blog/sites: gameshogun & Tomes of Knowledge

Banquetto.9521

Also, you have to remember that the exchange rate for “silver to gem” and “gem to silver” are separate. They don’t affect each other, not like in the real-world wherein two-way exchanging affects the value because they share the same computation.

You sure about that?

If you look at the historical prices on http://www.gw2spidy.com/gem they certainly seem to be in perfect lockstep to each other? I was under the impression that there was a single true price, and that the difference between the two exchange rates was the commission on the trades?

Shael.4703

You sure about that?

If you look at the historical prices on http://www.gw2spidy.com/gem they certainly seem to be in perfect lockstep to each other? I was under the impression that there was a single true price, and that the difference between the two exchange rates was the commission on the trades?

From my observation yes. The graph does look like to be similar but the actual value isn’t.

For example, during my play time, the value usually plays around like this:

• Silver to Gem is 24s to 100 Gems; and
  • Gem to Silver is 100 Gems to 21s

If they are tied together, converting Silver to Gem and Gem to Silver should net the same value. So if I convert 24s to 100 Gems, then right then and there convert that 100 Gems back to silver, I should get 24s – but I only get 21s.

The value doesn’t change on-the-fly, so the factor that the price changed before attempting a conversion back can not be applied. Again, from my observation, the values of both Silver to Gem and Gem to Silver stays the same for at least 3 hours before it updates again – if there are any changes at all.

However, I did not consider exchange rate fees. But still, there were times when Silver to Gem is at 23s and Gem to Silver is at 22s – that close. Meaning, the gap between the two is not fixed too. When the TP was still wonky, I’ve seen Silver to Gems going at 26s to 100 gems, and Gems to Silver at 21s, an even bigger gap.

I’m no trade market expert, I only base it on what I’ve observed, and the only conclusion I can come up with is that the two are not tied with each other.

Well, now that I think about it, when I tried to figure it out, it was during when TP was always down and randomly given. I didn’t bother much after that, I just check the current rate and closed it if it’s not attractive to me.

(edited by Shael.4703)

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Didn’t they say somewhere that gem to gold would be 30% less than gold to gem, so that way you couldn’t realistically buy gems, then sell them for more then what you first paid?

Shael.4703

Just an update. Today, there’s always a difference/gap of 7s 5c to 8s 5c, between Gold to Gems and Gems to Gold. Much better that way.

Didn’t they say somewhere that gem to gold would be 30% less than gold to gem, so that way you couldn’t realistically buy gems, then sell them for more then what you first paid?

Oh they did? I missed that one. That explains it then. People who want to “buy gold” will have to spend more, not bad. :p

Banquetto.9521

You sure about that?

From my observation yes. The graph does look like to be similar but the actual value isn’t.

For example, during my play time, the value usually plays around like this:

• Silver to Gem is 24s to 100 Gems; and
  • Gem to Silver is 100 Gems to 21s

If they are tied together, converting Silver to Gem and Gem to Silver should net the same value. So if I convert 24s to 100 Gems, then right then and there convert that 100 Gems back to silver, I should get 24s – but I only get 21s.

There’s a commission. Selling gems nets you about 72% of what you would have paid to buy those gems, which would be consistent with a 15% commission on both transactions (0.85 × 0.85 = 0.7225)

Posted by: Tatty.9680

Tatty.9680

if you look at the market figures. The highest for gems to silver is 22/24s where as silver to gems is 28s if i remember that right. So you will never be able to make a profit from buying gems and trading for silver. Unless the market has an insane crash and gems sell for about 10s :P which i don’t see happened because that would be 1gold for 1000 gems. Madness :P

Fear The Chickens – http://cluk.enjin.com/

Posted by: MrBill.8714

MrBill.8714

They really should indicate somewhere on their prices that it is for 100 gems.

Banquetto.9521

They really should indicate somewhere on their prices that it is for 100 gems.

Indeed. I avoided buying gems for gold for a while because I thought it was insanely expensive. Then I discovered the price was per 100, realized it was actually insanely cheap, and went crazy spending all my spare coin on gems.

If you purchased gems for real money thinking that you’d be able to sell them for 20-something silver each, you’d be rather peeved, I would think.