Buying gem cards via other sites

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Spiderwick.1879

Spiderwick.1879

Hi, I’m wondering, is it legit to buy gem cards from other sites than GW ones.

For example, I’ve found some site to sell gem cards (2000 gems) for $25 or something similar. Also, on Amazon.

Is that legit and safe?

Posted by: Ayakaru.6583

Ayakaru.6583

Short answer: Legit; yes, Safe; own gamble

Long answer:
You’re free to buy them anywhere. It’s your gamble wether or not they’re legit.
You see, any store can buy the cards from ANet, and activate them at the checkout. Webstores do this, too, but I personally wouldn’t trust amazon on it.
If you, like me, don’t own a creditcard, payments can be tough to make directly to ANet as they don’t allow for iDeal or similar payment options.

I’ve seen onlinekeystore sell the cards for 18 euros, but the problem is the low supply.
It’s like anet only makes a handfull each year, so legit stores usually have a really small supply each time.

In another note:
ANet wants us to buy the gem cards, yet they make them way too expensive, and third parties who can sell them at a commoners’ price only get way too few, making them sold out 90% of the time.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Keep in mind a shrink wrap machine is readily available in the back of every retail store in America. Anet will NOT do anything if you type in the code and it is already used.

I think the rule of thumb is don’t buy from anyone you can’t know for sure would do a return if you have a problem. If it’s direct from Amazon (have bought some before), I wouldn’t hesitate, but another seller THUR Amazon, I would not do.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

Probably legit if your buying them on Amazon, I bought several from Newegg on a close out last year (they no longer carry them) and all worked as intended.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

If you click the Shop link, you can eventually find a list of licensed distributors for Gem cards. Amazon is on there, as is Gamestop and Best Buy, among others. If you’re looking for an online retailer, I recommend checking that list.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

25 is the normal price for the 2000 gem cards. As stated above a lot of the big box retailers have these on their shelves as well, have made good gifts for fellow gamers.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Here is a list of Anet retailers. You can search by country.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers/

The Burninator

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Hi, I’m wondering, is it legit to buy gem cards from other sites than GW ones.

For example, I’ve found some site to sell gem cards (2000 gems) for $25 or something similar. Also, on Amazon.

Is that legit and safe?

Why not just buy the gems in game? It’s the same price.

$20.00 for 1600 gems (5$ = 400 gems), so $25 = 2000 gems.

Is there a place you can get these cards cheaper than on the gemstore while still being legitimate?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

Just get the card at one of the big box retailers if you are going to buy gems online with a credit card anyway then get them in game why would any one buy these online. The main reason these cards are sold is for someone or kids that don’t have a credit card, or as a gift. Maybe if you live in a country that NCsoft can’t do business with then this may be you only option to buy gems. But buying these cards online is a risk, you could get the card and it hasn’t been activated or it was activated and someone used the code already. These cards have a scratch off for the redeem code so if this has been scratch off when you receive your card you are pretty much screwed chances are the code was used. I have seen these card online and it is the same price you will pay if you buy gems in game $25 get you 2000 gems. If you find them for less be very carful this might be some kind of a scam.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

(edited by Feirlista Xv.1425)

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

Here is how this could go wrong for you buying gem cards from a non reputable seller online.

If you see someone selling gem cards, usually they will offer them at lower than retail value, not always. This is what the ripoff seller does. First he will acquire credit card numbers that he stole. Then he will use them to buy as many gem cards as he can get. The cards get activated and then he receive them and start selling them to other people.

Now the persons who got their CC’s stolen will have reported this to Visa/Mastercard and gotten any charges taken off so they are not responsible to pay for the gem cards. The CC company’s start contacting all the parties involved. When this gets to anet the CC company’s show them the activation of the gem card numbers and then Anet looks though their end and finds out that you used stolen cc to buy gems cards and then applied the gem to your account, they have only one option and that is to permanently ban any accounts found doing so. In the end the thief is the only one who gets something for nothing.

Make kitten sure you know who you are buying gems from.