Buying waypoints,a great idea!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nury.3062

Nury.3062

I really like the idea of buying waypoints,it’s already easy to go around just by walking and for people who like immersion,like myself, having one waypoint just let’s me explore the map and go “on the journey” without having the shortcuts(if I choose not to buy them).
I would love to have only 1 waypoint on every map,it is more immersive,at least for me.

—-Balthazar Order [Gods]—-
“We are now! We are forever!”

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

It’s also very easy to ask around if anyone has ’ x ’ waypoint, provided you have a spare ‘Teleport to Friend’. Otherwise running to said location (with someone higher levels improves your survival) is your only option.

“Buying” just seems like it only adds and promotes to more cash grabbing. I’d have to say no to ‘buying’ sorry.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

“Buying” just seems like it only adds and promotes to more cash grabbing. I’d have to say no to ‘buying’ sorry.

Come off it, it’s simply something else to spend map currency on. And you can’t buy map currency, you can only earn it yourself so how can it be a “cash grab”?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

mXz.4512

Come off it, it’s simply something else to spend map currency on. And you can’t buy map currency, you can only earn it yourself so how can it be a “cash grab”?

You cannot pay someone map currency for dungeons, JPs, a carry through raids. Gold and specifically gems > gold comes more into mind. So yea, most people would prefer gold for services as opposed to currency you can’t send to one another.

And unless it’s a map like TD, these maps aren’t even that hard or tedious to navigate.
Trying to buy your way through game content is still a big definitive no from me.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What cash is being grabbed by this? And from whom?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Personally, I love the idea!

What’s really great is that it carries over to everyone on your account. When I took a second character there, it took me just a minute to open up most of the map for them.

I hope to see more of this in the expansion. Maybe have zones where there are waypoints scattered out there, but there are also these other teleport points so that you can get around easier for a price, and alts can have an easier time of it.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

Typically when I hear people support the new WP system, it is for alt accounts. Why not just have the traditional system with the additional option to buy/unlock way points for alts? Additionally, if you feel like additional WPts are not immersive, why not simply don’t use them? After the couple of time I did die doing map completion, having to walk all the way back just felt like a big pain in the ass that wouldn’t have felt that way if the traditional system was in place. My personal opinion is that both systems should be in place. You can unlock them by buying them. However, you can also unlock them the traditional way as well.

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

mXz.4512

Not the point. Surely you don’t think it’s much effort to take a new toon through a new map and run from one waypoint to another?

Then someone else comes along and buys all the waypoints you took the time to get to. Assuming the OP is wanting an option through the gemstore to unlock waypoints, then yes that would be just another cheap QoL gimmick to get people to unlock maps.

I’ll pass.

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Not the point. Surely you don’t think it’s much effort to take a new toon through a new map and run from one waypoint to another?

Then someone else comes along and buys all the waypoints you took the time to get to. Assuming the OP is wanting an option through the gemstore to unlock waypoints, then yes that would be just another cheap QoL gimmick to get people to unlock maps.

I’ll pass.

This isn’t the case at all though. I’m assuming you haven’t been to the new map, so I’ll describe how the bought waypoints work.
In Siren’s Landing, there is a map specific currency called Orrian Pearls. You can not buy these from the TP or trade them in any way with other players. The only ways to obtain them are from harvesting them, buying them with karma at specific vendors, or earning them through some map events. It is not possible to use in game currency to obtain these pearls in any way (unless you consider karma as currency, but then you can not get karma with gold, so still unobtainable with actual money)

There are NPC’s on the map that will unlock a waypoint for you in exchange for Orrian pearls. And ONLY Orrian pearls. As mentioned above, you can not in any way get those pearls with money, so it is impossible for Anet to encourage any kind of gem purchase for these pearls.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

i like that the shrines are acount bount makes my life easier.

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I’ll pass.

This isn’t the case at all though. I’m assuming you haven’t been to the new map, so I’ll describe how the bought waypoints work.
In Siren’s Landing, there is a map specific currency called Orrian Pearls. You can not buy these from the TP or trade them in any way with other players. The only ways to obtain them are from harvesting them, buying them with karma at specific vendors, or earning them through some map events. It is not possible to use in game currency to obtain these pearls in any way (unless you consider karma as currency, but then you can not get karma with gold, so still unobtainable with actual money)

There are NPC’s on the map that will unlock a waypoint for you in exchange for Orrian pearls. And ONLY Orrian pearls. As mentioned above, you can not in any way get those pearls with money, so it is impossible for Anet to encourage any kind of gem purchase for these pearls or the waypoints.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Maybe if they were referred to as Shrines, there would not be as much confusion.

I like the new Shrines, and their mechanic. Harkens back to the good old Guild Wars days. =)

I hope we find this mechanic in the new expansion, as well.

(Oh, don’t forget, one can obtain a lot of Orrian Pearls from those chests down in the pit, as well.)

Posted by: Naurgalen.2374

Naurgalen.2374

I really like the idea of buying waypoints,it’s already easy to go around just by walking and for people who like immersion,like myself, having one waypoint just let’s me explore the map and go “on the journey” without having the shortcuts(if I choose not to buy them).
I would love to have only 1 waypoint on every map,it is more immersive,at least for me.

And what if you choose to not use the normal way-points? Wouldn’t be the same “journey” when exploring a new map? You can certainly choose to play that way without being forced on you by a game mechanic.

And when people say “but you can buy them with map-currency”:

1) That its too late for people that die or struggle exploring the map (and people were complaining about how certain map mechanics like the burning made some parts of the map complicated for them)

2) Wasting map-currency on -normally free- way-points instead of other things that you would prefer is a no-win situations for some players

Posted by: Rahaji.8312

Rahaji.8312

It’s and interesting idea and it might make something like having a mount worth it since you could just use it to get around faster.

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

It just felt like a pointless mandatory resource sink to me. Like -40 pearls for no reason

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I wasn’t expecting to like this… but I enjoyed unlocking the shrines. It wasn’t hard to collect the pearls and the waypoints are not only free after that, but they’re account bound! Having said that, it was only four waypoints. I did wonder if I would feel the same if it were a larger number.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I said this in another thread and I’ll repost here… Personally, at this point I see no problem with an item that allows access to one or two waypoints per map if you don’t have them. However I do feel that instant access to all of them is a bit overkill.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I like the idea of earning the waypoints on each map but I wish those new ones were just normal waypoints once they are unlocked. I know they are free to use (once unlocked) but why do we need a different map icon for them?

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Having to buy waypoints would just be added cost.
Using map currency to buy shrines that act like waypoints without future travel costs,
makes sense, if the map rewards are interesting enough to go back for repeatedly or it’s a fun map.
IF, you are going back to this seasons previous story maps repeatedly then a change to buying shrines makes sense to me.

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

The sudden new change of waypoint system on the new map did initially throw me a bit, and I still can’t really work out the reason for it. But given the size of the map and the fact it didn’t really take long to get the map currency to unlock them I didn’t really mind.

I’m all for having account wide waypoints, so in that respect they are good imo (and free is nice). If this is the way they decide to go for maps going forward from here then I won’t be too fussed, but would like a few tweaks made to them.

1) They need to be able to work as a WP from outside the map, as at the moment it means an extra loading screen to get to some areas. This is pretty important for us players who don’t have an SSD/have space on an SSD where loading times can be slow. No one likes loading screens at the best of times, so if I want to get to a part of a map then I don’t want to have to load to a main WP, then have immediately sit through another loading screen to get to the place in the same map I want to be.

2) No events that lock out the vendors to buy the shrines/new WPs. Getting the currency was fine, but having to wait for the vendors to be active while events finished was annoying.

3) Need to be linkable in chat, at the moment you (or at least I) can’t seem to link them in chat like a normal WP. If these replace WPs in new maps then we really should be able to link them to call out events like we do with WPs.

4) If we need to unlock 5 or 6 of these on a new map then just make sure the currency needed is obtainable to the same ratio as we got here, so they can still be unlocked reasonably quickly.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

We won’t need waypoints as much when we have MOUNTS!! in the new expansion!

And we won’t need them if we refuse to buy the expansion because it has mounts.