:C Bye Bye GW2... for now.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Farothion.7604

Farothion.7604

Somehow my computer has worsened over time and GW2 has become all laggy for me. It wasn’t like this for me at first. My PC runs other games pretty well so I was planning to fix my PC so I could go back to GW2. Then I thought… why would I want that?

I haven’t played for around 4 weeks now. I logged in once or twice but I had no clue what I was coming back to. A game where you have 5 level 80 chars but know nothing to do isn’t really worth coming back to no?

Some of GW2’s features are enjoyable. And overall I really like GW2. Otherwise I wouldn’t be posting here. But with all the oppotunities to PvP/ WvwvW I am still very upset no work is being put in rewarded 1v1 PvP. Sure you can BUY your own PvPserver so you can do 1v1 games. But it’s nothing like an actual 1v1 Arena with achievements/ rewards/ armor based on that. Not everyone feels like claiming forts all day long and listening to a screaming leader while being r*ped 5 to 1 by a different server.

Untill that is introduced. I don’t think I’ll bother coming back. Which really bums me out since I love the GW2 community over most of the other games I play.

Please Anet… get working to content and platforms that people are ACTUALLY waiting for, use your imagination instead of letting the ship of the last living story crash and create a whole new story around that… it’s rather boring.

Hope to come back in the future. X

(edited by Farothion.7604)

Posted by: Milkduds.7109

Milkduds.7109

Somehow my computer has worsened over time and GW2 has become all laggy for me. It wasn’t like this for me at first. My PC runs other games pretty well so I was planning to fix my PC so I could go back to GW2. Then I thought… why would I want that?

I haven’t played for around 4 weeks now. I logged in once or twice but I had no clue what I was coming back to. A game where you have 5 level 80 chars but know nothing to do isn’t really worth coming back to no?

Some of GW2’s features are enjoyable. And overall I really like GW2. Otherwise I wouldn’t be posting here. But with all the oppotunities to PvP/ WvwvW I am still very upset no work is being put in rewarded 1v1 PvP. Sure you can BUY your own PvPserver so you can do 1v1 games. But it’s nothing like an actual 1v1 Arena with achievements/ rewards/ armor based on that. Not everyone feels like claiming forts all day long and listening to a screaming leader while being r*ped 5 to 1 by a different server.

Untill that is introduced. I don’t think I’ll bother coming back. Which really bums me out since I love the GW2 community over most of the other games I play.

Please Anet… get working to content and platforms that people are ACTUALLY waiting for, use your imagination instead of letting the ship of the last living story crash and create a whole new story around that… it’s rather boring.

That sucks to hear about your performance in-game. Maybe your system needs some looking at or is it -only- happening with GW2? Maybe a clean re-install of your OS. Who knows?

Anyways, I’ve bolded the part of your post that is most interesting to me and I’d like to offer my view of this.

You say you want something akin to a true arena PvP mode, something akin to what is in Wildstar and World of Warcraft I’m assuming. You then tell Arena-Net to “use their imaginations”. The Living Story -is- them using their imaginations. No other MMO does something like the LS, but nearly every MMO under the sun attempts to create some arena type “e-sport” wannabe PvP game mode that leads to nothing but cheesy meta-games and balancing nightmares for the game overall.

The game has WvWvW as well, which is something -most- other MMO’s do not have. Again, something different than the norm, at least as far as “mainstream” MMO’s are concerned. World of Warcraft has never come close to having any kind of feature such as WvWvW. DAoC was it afaik, and now ESO, which received fairly negative press and reviews upon its release, unlike Guild Wars 2 which was very positively received.

I just find it interesting that you ask them to use their imaginations, yet your suggestion is to implement a game mode that is rather myopic and common. I’m not trying to attack you, just pointing that out.

Living Story, at least as a concept, is far more imaginative for the theme park MMO than an arena PvP game mode could ever be or will ever be. Just something to consider.

“All is Vain…”

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

Maybe Anet servers should finally start working properly , it is lagging as hell since last living story . They said it was DDOS attack but this attack ended long time ago and servers are still lagigng .

Posted by: Farothion.7604

Farothion.7604

That sucks to hear about your performance in-game. Maybe your system needs some looking at or is it -only- happening with GW2? Maybe a clean re-install of your OS. Who knows?

Anyways, I’ve bolded the part of your post that is most interesting to me and I’d like to offer my view of this.

You say you want something akin to a true arena PvP mode, something akin to what is in Wildstar and World of Warcraft I’m assuming. You then tell Arena-Net to “use their imaginations”. The Living Story -is- them using their imaginations. No other MMO does something like the LS, but nearly every MMO under the sun attempts to create some arena type “e-sport” wannabe PvP game mode that leads to nothing but cheesy meta-games and balancing nightmares for the game overall.

The game has WvWvW as well, which is something -most- other MMO’s do not have. Again, something different than the norm, at least as far as “mainstream” MMO’s are concerned. World of Warcraft has never come close to having any kind of feature such as WvWvW. DAoC was it afaik, and now ESO, which received fairly negative press and reviews upon its release, unlike Guild Wars 2 which was very positively received.

I just find it interesting that you ask them to use their imaginations, yet your suggestion is to implement a game mode that is rather myopic and common. I’m not trying to attack you, just pointing that out.

Living Story, at least as a concept, is far more imaginative for the theme park MMO than an arena PvP game mode could ever be or will ever be. Just something to consider.

You’re absolutely right That’s why I said I find some of the features in GW2 enjoyable. They do have unique things in GW2 like WvwvW and LS. They put so much effort into making it a fun game for everyone and I see that. But the things they come up with to fill the living story, this unique way of playing, is rather upsetting when you see you get to play another few months in the wreckage of the last Living story. That is where I find they are lacking imagination. WvWvW is a great platform and although I don’t always enjoy it. Many others do. So great

MMORPG’s have evolved over the years and in my oppinion there are some basic things every MMORPG should have. If you make an MMORPG lacking features as 1v1 rewarded combat (I’ve never played either of the games you mentioned, WoW and that other one, so don’t know if that’s any good :P) you are ALWAYS reliant on other players. While I want a platform to show individual skill and get rewarded for it. Sure it is hard to balance these kinds of things. But should the player be the one to pay for that? You mention e-sports. It’s not growing this hard for nothing. People are interested in playing this kind of matchmade combat. Guild Wars 2 is just one of the games that have the actual potential in making a graphically amazing 1v1 rewarded combat system. GW2 would be the only game I’d trust in making such an experience really amazing BECAUSE of their imagination on those fronts. I mean… how awesome are some of the sceneries in GW2?

The Living story content is just not cutting it for me at the moment. It’s a sequal on a repeated living story. Since I don’t lagg in other games, yea, that will be where you can find me for now. I really hope I can come back to GW2 (Without lagg) one day and say they implemented some things to give me the amazing GW2 feeling back.

x

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

Maybe Anet servers should finally start working properly , it is lagging as hell since last living story . They said it was DDOS attack but this attack ended long time ago and servers are still lagigng .

I think it has something to do with data transfers or other works behind the scenes before Feature Pack so I don’t worry too much. If it doesn’t go after FP2, I will star to worry.

As for OPs concept of playing I wish you will take a small break and come back. I had one for like 3 months and not only a lot of nice things happened but also I gained kinda new perspective to the game.

I feel many people stopped enjoy what GW2 is and having a break helps with it a lot.

It might be you will find something more suited for your taste, but don’t forget to check on GW2 from time to time.
I hope devs will work on PvP and WvW more in mean time, because this game needs it a lot and I don’t think that they miss the fact.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

This problem is in no way unique to GW2, and all MMOs, or any game really, suffers from it, because players will always be able to complete content faster than the developers can make it.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

This problem is in no way unique to GW2, and all MMOs, or any game really, suffers from it, because players will always be able to complete content faster than the developers can make it.

It depends on the game. There will always be min/max speed clearers who have no life outside of being content locusts and can devote 9 hours a day to blasting through games but most people tend to take their time.

What sets the two groups apart is typically the amount of things to do in the game and/or the skill level required to accomplish them. Give people a lot to do so doing “everything” takes a long time to actually do or create content with an ever climbing skill curve that ensures the average player completes it as a reasonable rate simply by their personal ability (or lack thereof) to progress in player skill.

GW2 falls into the shallow end of both those ideas. There’s arguably a lot to “do” in the game but most of it involves mowing down harmless trash mobs (the fact that I have to struggle to even tag mobs in certain events is ridiculous) more than anything and people have long since broken dungeons so hard it borders on exploitative.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: Kazuto.2798

Kazuto.2798

Not everyone feels like claiming forts all day long and listening to a screaming leader while being r*ped 5 to 1 by a different server.

Roam.

Kiwi
Sempiternal Order [SO]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

The problem is there are tons of DDOS attacks going on and hacks. for example the security breach recently announced at Home Depot. There is the ArcheAge breach also. All of these attacks take internet bandwidth.

I would also look to see if your ISP is throttling your connection. Comcast and others have started doing that. Throttling would affect your lag, etc.

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

I can haz yuar goldz pl0x?!

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

To be honest, I’m not surprised 1v1 is on the back burner in a game based around team PvP combat – you can get a more reasonable 1v1 in GW2 than the original, at least, because classes are more self-sufficient. But there are still hard counters all over the place. Any game mode built around 1v1s would just be so full of gimmick builds…

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

ArcheAge got hacked too? Sheesh. Guess we gamers really need to be on the nose with security now. Seems like the hackers have figured out we’re highly profitable targets.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

AA just went open beta. It’s going to put on dent on GW2’s population for awhile. I’ve already noticed it tonight.

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

I’ve never understood the purpose of 1v1 in an mmo outside of practicing different matchups to make better decisions in team pvp.

For a 1v1 fighting experience with weapons you can always try Soul Calibur.

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

The problem is there are tons of DDOS attacks going on and hacks. for example the security breach recently announced at Home Depot. There is the ArcheAge breach also. All of these attacks take internet bandwidth.

I would also look to see if your ISP is throttling your connection. Comcast and others have started doing that. Throttling would affect your lag, etc.

yep it happens and people dont realize its the internet service i worked for one that did that to its customers. i got fired for being honest with a customer about checking out a competitor too bad quality control happened to listen to that one. customer was a gamer like me and i felt bad for them. i noticed they canceled their service with our service and hope they are happy with what they got

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

No other MMO does something like the LS,

Not quite true. Years ago I played “Horizons: Empire of Istaria” which was a living evolving world. If a bridge was required to cross to a new area the bridge had to be built by the players. If a mine was required, you had to build the mine. Guilds could buy empty towns where they built houses, blacksmiths, banks, bowyers, etc. where you could craft your better armors. Things that were built became permanent fixtures in the world so newcomers could cross that bridge that you had a hand in building.

Of all the games I have played since online gaming first began with bulletin boards and script based games that one encompasses what I would term a living story more then any other. Things you did in the world changed the world and not just an instance.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

No other MMO does something like the LS,

Not quite true. Years ago I played “Horizons: Empire of Istaria” which was a living evolving world. If a bridge was required to cross to a new area the bridge had to be built by the players. If a mine was required, you had to build the mine. Guilds could buy empty towns where they built houses, blacksmiths, banks, bowyers, etc. where you could craft your better armors. Things that were built became permanent fixtures in the world so newcomers could cross that bridge that you had a hand in building.

Of all the games I have played since online gaming first began with bulletin boards and script based games that one encompasses what I would term a living story more then any other. Things you did in the world changed the world and not just an instance.

That’s… a pretty cool concept, actually. Kind of if Minecraft were an MMO. Did you have griefers try to destroy the bridge too? Or that wasn’t possible?

Theftwind.8976

That’s… a pretty cool concept, actually. Kind of if Minecraft were an MMO. Did you have griefers try to destroy the bridge too? Or that wasn’t possible?

No, that was not possible although there always was a race between servers when there was a major project to see who got the job completed first.

Theftwind (HoD)

Substance E.4852

No other MMO does something like the LS, but nearly every MMO under the sun attempts to create some arena type “e-sport” wannabe PvP game mode that leads to nothing but cheesy meta-games and balancing nightmares for the game overall.

Actually, FF14 adds new quests and plot to the main story arc pretty frequently and, while it’s pvp isn’t all that popular, they have the foresight to split skill functionality between pvp and pve.

I’m not sure how much the Coil of Bahamut actually has to do with the story but I think it counts as well.

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

No other MMO does something like the LS, but nearly every MMO under the sun attempts to create some arena type “e-sport” wannabe PvP game mode that leads to nothing but cheesy meta-games and balancing nightmares for the game overall.

Right, but if every MMO can do it, why can’t GW2?

It seemed like the only thing being developed in the past 2 years is the living story.

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

Why do people feel the need to come write up a “Dear John” letter when they don’t want to play anymore?

Substance E.4852

Why do people feel the need to come write up a “Dear John” letter when they don’t want to play anymore?

Probably because they still like the idea of playing the game and maybe if anet actually has a written documentation of why the person left they can maybe change things enough to bring them back.

God knows that if I made and sold a product and people decided to not buy it anymore I’d prefer they tell me why.

laokoko.7403

Most likely they did enjoy GW2. But when people find the lack of interesting update, they complain, and hope the developer actually heard their complain, and change the direction the game is heading.

It’s not the first time people complain about the living story. Some one even make a poll about what players want. And it dont’ look like that many people care about the living story. But that is the only thing the developer care to develop the past 2 years.

Theftwind.8976

As long as your name is not John it should not bother you. People that write these sort of posts are reluctant to leave and many times will be convinced into staying a bit longer but they need the support and understanding of the community in order to make that decision or they want to let people that they know in-game why they are moving on.

I suppose one could ask “Why if it does not bother you that they are leaving should such a post interest you enough for you to read it and then make a negative comment on it?”

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

I suppose one could ask “Why if it does not bother you that they are leaving should such a post interest you enough for you to read it and then make a negative comment on it?”

Perhaps it’s that there is so much complaining about the game in general. Even when they develop what players ask for they complain. I’ve never seen one RED post following one of these. They might have better success sending a PM to Gaile.

Substance E.4852

Perhaps it’s that there is so much complaining about the game in general. Even when they develop what players ask for they complain. I’ve never seen one RED post following one of these. They might have better success sending a PM to Gaile.

A dev can’t read a thread without posting in it?

Or are you just upset that the forums isn’t one big hug fest of people highfiving each other over how awesome they think the game is cus you’re kind of two years too late for that.

laokoko.7403

So you are telling me Anet keep heading into the direction of living story because people asked for it?

I think you are delusional. I see a few poll over the year. And living story is clearly not what the players want.

There is a poll a few days ago. People dont’ care about the living story. And everything else people want is not implemented.

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

I think the OP is letting his biases blind his outlook. Because it’s about as obvious as it can be that there are far more people who care about the Living Story than a 1v1 Arena Mode.

It’s fine to want a feature, but to say “Please Anet… get working to content and platforms that people are ACTUALLY waiting for”, is really arrogant. Who wants that exactly? It doesn’t seem to appeal to GW2’s main audience that’s for sure. It may be a cool feature but you’re making it sound like it’s the one feature the entire playerbase is waiting for and ANet are fools for not seeing it when in reality you’re the only person I’ve ever seen ask for that specific feature, and there are already 1v1 dueling arenas that players themselves have set up and ANet even made a map specifically for them.

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

Despite what you might want to believe given the general tone of the forums, there are players like myself who do care about and enjoy the living story, just as there are players who care about the features that have been recently announced.

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

So you are telling me Anet keep heading into the direction of living story because people asked for it?

I think you are delusional. I see a few poll over the year. And living story is clearly not what the players want.

There is a poll a few days ago. People dont’ care about the living story. And everything else people want is not implemented.

People do care about the Living Story or GW2 would have failed a long time ago instead of being right there with SWTOR as the most successful western MMO after WoW. If you don’t like the Living Story then you’re playing the wrong game. It’s like playing World of Warcraft and hating dungeons and raiding.

People just want other areas of the game to get some attention too. And that’s fair. And ANet has let that simmer so long that now people are growing bitter and Living Story gets all the blame by those people.

There’s actually only a small team of people working on the Living Story though. It really isn’t the LS’s fault. It’s whatever else they’re working on and not telling us. Which is really starting to hurt their PR at this point.

laokoko.7403

People do care about the Living Story or GW2 would have failed a long time ago instead of being right there with SWTOR as the most successful western MMO after WoW. If you don’t like the Living Story then you’re playing the wrong game. It’s like playing World of Warcraft and hating dungeons and raiding.

People just want other areas of the game to get some attention too. And that’s fair. And ANet has let that simmer so long that now people are growing bitter and Living Story gets all the blame by those people.

There’s actually only a small team of people working on the Living Story though. It really isn’t the LS’s fault. It’s whatever else they’re working on and not telling us. Which is really starting to hurt their PR at this point.

There’s only a small team of people working on living story, and that’s the only content they manage to push out in the last 2 years? I don’t get that.

There are actually polls on what players want a few days ago, barely anyone voted for the living story.

Posted by: Achilleus.6145

Achilleus.6145

Ah you don’t have to go to a pvpsever-ish for 1v1, you can do duels on wvw. I’m just super saiyan!

Twitter & Instagram: @AchilleusBolt