Calm down! Give anet time to salvage the mess

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

From the sudden influx of red posts with even Colin himself replying, its obvious that anet is finally aware of the massive displeasure for this feature pack.

From what i can see, they seem to be indicating that all the kittenification
brought by the NPE is due to unforeseen bugs, and the actual experience
isnt what we are supposed to be encountering. (eg: You shouldn’t faceroll
everything by dancing lol! good vid btw)

Whether its really bugs or their realisation that no one like their feature designs,
and they are using “bugs” as an excuse to salvage the issue, I say give them a
couple of days to sort things out. Lets see how it goes.

To anet: Whether it is really bugs or not, the QC for this feature patch
is pretty much non existent. Hope we can look forward to a less clusterkitten
experience in the future.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

You realize they had just as big of an outcry in China when they forced the same copy paste system over there.

This stuff is here to stay.

Everything you said about quality control and hoping we don’t have a clusterkitten in the future is stuff we’ve been saying since day 1. It’s not going to change.

Posted by: Scout.2781

Scout.2781

You realize they had just as big of an outcry in China when they forced the same copy paste system over there.

This stuff is here to stay.

then we’ll just have to make more noise now won’t we?

Posted by: roseria.7695

roseria.7695

Anet has killing this game lets have a moment of silence for it. see ya all in gw1 i guess.

Roserra @ [ATT] – Attuned

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

You mean like they salvaged the mess they made with traits and the megaserver……………. oh wait.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

If its bugs, than QA from anet is non existent… how long has this feature patch been in the making? not to mention some of this patch was a copy paste from the china client and it STILL CAME OUT WITH BUGS? seriously.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

No doubt they are aware that many are displeased but do they know why or do they even care? I don’t think so.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

You mean like they salvaged the mess they made with traits and the megaserver……………. oh wait.

lol...."calm down and see if they can salvage it"
Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: La Goanna.8142

La Goanna.8142

From the sudden influx of red posts with even Colin himself replying, its obvious that anet is finally aware of the massive displeasure for this feature pack.

Whether its really bugs or their realisation that no one like their feature designs,

It’s an excuse.
Knowing ANet, NCSoft and their incompetence when it comes to making promises for their players, these changes are here to stay.

Face it, it won’t be saved.

Posted by: Swizzle.7982

Swizzle.7982

But salvaging isn’t unlocked until level 6!

TehPwnerer.7215

lol...."calm down and see if they can salvage it"

They can’t salvage until level 15 anymore, sorry.

On topic – to those talking about the bugs and and QA – just let me remind you that they promised we’d never see overflow from the Chinese client. Obviously a lie since we have the copy/paste from the CHINESE CLIENT now. With the same bugs that still probably plague the CN version.

They also hated the patch and it’s still there for them as well. Arena Net doesn’t care and this will not be saved.

(edited by TehPwnerer.7215)

Snowmoon.1758

rofl! I see what u did there +1
but srsly tho chaps, lets give them some time.
it MAY turn out fine in the end….mostly

Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

TehPwnerer.7215

rofl! I see what u did there +1
but srsly tho chaps, lets give them some time.
it MAY turn out fine in the end….mostly

China made as big of as outcry we are – if not a bigger one. Guess who still has this giant poo of a patch? China.

Posted by: Jinroh.4251

Jinroh.4251

Why did they think this was a good idea for new and veteran players? Is there a small group of players that they are listening to who give these awful ideas or do they genuinely believe that we’d like this?

Posted by: HomeSick.7639

HomeSick.7639

you mean “give anet some time to make the game become a even bigger mess”.
an expansion is the only thing that will save this game.

Posted by: Swizzle.7982

Swizzle.7982

Is there a small group of players that they are listening to who give these awful ideas or do they genuinely believe that we’d like this?

I think the group they’re listening to are called corporate shills, the kinds of people who haven’t played a video game in their life but come up with great ideas for attracting new demographics. Or as everyone else calls it, ruining video games.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Maybe they can use the silver fed salvage o matic.

Posted by: Asacledhae.2650

Asacledhae.2650

ArenaNet isn’t running the show. NcSoft does. And NcSoft doesn’t want Guild Wars 2 to be a better game than the ones their “native” devs make. So probably their main plan is to turn this game into a joke, in order to shove people to Wildstar and Blade & Soul, and then shut it down, getting rid of the last “western” influence in their games.

Does the names Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa and City of Heroes ring a bell? Why would Guild Wars be any different in the long run?

The reasons we love the new downgra…..er….feature patch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlKjwrKB4

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

What I find odd is they had a really good middle-ground solution already in place for weapon skills.

What was so hard about learning new skills while using the weapon!? I use a greatsword, kill some things and it gives me a new skill which I learn how to use by killing more things to unlock the next skill. All this does is slow me down for a stupid reason.

Retired Leader of TTS

Posted by: CyClotroniC.4957

CyClotroniC.4957

Honestly, I do believe that the community is starting to exaggerate this whole thing. Yes I hate the new leveling and hated the new trait system from the start, but there are things that we can certainly appreciate as well. I’m also 100% for the old level-up system, never had problem with that one, but I really think that hate towards Anet is getting a bit over-the-top sometimes.

With all that said I do believe that the community can come up with very good and solid ideas and it can be disappointing when these suggestions are neglected completely and we do not receive even a single comment about why they are disagreeing with us on certain issues. I can understand that they cannot talk about future plans, but they probably can talk about suggestions, that they consider non-viable.

With all that said, it doesn’t change the fact, that after 2 amazing years, we are still playing this game. We had our ups and downs for sure, but I still believe that calm and logical discussion would be more helpful than another “we told you so”/“listen to us please” post, and constant blaming and I know a lot of you would say “we are over that already”. I’m a bit concerned about the tone the complaints strike sometimes, and the last thing I would like to see is alienating devs, because if I were them I wouldn’t be up for communicating with my community in such a toxic atmoshpere.

I’m not saying that we should take everything quietly, just that we both have the same goals: we all want to enjoy this game for a long time, and Anet is probably interested in that too. I think we all get that when they make a change, they make it with an intention to please the community, because they probably need happy players to stay and play this game for a long time. They sometimes hit a miss or make a wrong step, but don’t forget about the stuff they did right (fractals, wardrobe system, living story, dry top, so on…).

I can imagine “Leveling & Traits” as a CDI topic where we can discuss the whole thing, that could be a platform, where their ideas and plans can get closer to our demands and concerns. I rather want a discussion and a solution than an uneffective outcry :-/

Necros need more love… seriously. – http://necroaming.tumblr.com/

Posted by: La Goanna.8142

La Goanna.8142

ArenaNet isn’t running the show. NcSoft does. And NcSoft doesn’t want Guild Wars 2 to be a better game than the ones their “native” devs make. So probably their main plan is to turn this game into a joke, in order to shove people to Wildstar and Blade & Soul, and then shut it down, getting rid of the last “western” influence in their games.

Does the names Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa and City of Heroes ring a bell? Why would Guild Wars be any different in the long run?

Wildstar is from a western dev though. But it dropped the ball a few months after release, so eh.

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

The leveling system changes are a major issue. They take away all the fun of alts and low level characters. I don’t buy a game to have to work and “grind” for ~40 levels to be able to enjoy the major mechanics.

They could have allowed skills to be unlocked by account, so if you are already level 40+ on one character, you don’t have to deal with gated skills.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

With all the speculation and concerns on the forums for a while before the feature pack launched, they had time to salvage it beforehand but didn’t.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Trait Thread = Anets had enough time!

Posted by: wiredrawn.7298

wiredrawn.7298

This user is only 3 weeks old, I think or a month old!

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

Even if they were trying to salvage the issue, WHICH I DON’T BELIEVE FOR A SECOND, you have still missed the point. The “mess” should have never been implemented in the first place.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

With all the speculation and concerns on the forums for a while before the feature pack launched, they had time to salvage it beforehand but didn’t.

Well the issues here is that we have an idea through text posts but speculations wouldn’t mean much for feedback. Now that the patch is live and we get to experience the good AND the bad, I think Anet could get more detailed feedback about the whole thing. I don’t expect a salvage, just modifications here and there.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

Why did they think this was a good idea for new and veteran players? Is there a small group of players that they are listening to who give these awful ideas or do they genuinely believe that we’d like this?

They say they have ‘play testers’, which are generally companies that ‘play test’ for you, and give ‘objective’ feedback… well i think it’s time to switch companies!! This one seems to be a -insert game company- Black-Ops program to destroy all other games, by providing kitten-tail feedback & suggestions!!

Or they have hired the wrong people who have no clue about GW history, the kind of players it attracted, and why they played GW1 before and why they recommended GW2 to their friends … i see a fair bit of CoH influence, and the strict gated Leveling system does remind me of that too, maybe the wrong person is in the wrong position somewhere…

While i think i should make a more extensive feedback thread about this, i think i can post some of the tl;dr here:
- GW2 improved on a lot of the features we as players found frustrating in other MMOs, this has been a great selling point (DE’s, more Dynamic Combat, great Art/gfx for low system req. , the Music (though that had always been great), wardrobe, collections, achievements, etc?) … aka. great game-features

- GW2 ‘had’ the goal to provide ‘all content as end-game content’, and delivered a new way LS to extend stuff in the world (whether you liked it or not). Still it suffered from what all games suffer from, they can’t put out content at the pace we consume it. And arguably they took a too narrow focus on the LS, and while it did add cool big one time events, it lacked a way to provide an addition to meaningful permanent content. The scaling system no longer functions as a way to provide ‘all content as end-game content’, and the new levelling system did away with some of this as well.
Aka. experimental game-content with industry standard problems…

- GW2 ‘had’ a great legacy in GW1, for as far as game-play went, tons of skills (to much apparently), tons of build options, all sorts of damage types, 2 profession system, simple build switching, an early ingame level platform, making the game more about the experience and builds, and less about the level grind. Only thing that was slightly gated was the access to skills, which ‘to-me’ was actually one of the great features of GW1, the first thing to do in town -> see the skill trainer for new cool stuff! And the Elite hunting (although frustrating at times), was rewarding in it’s own sense.

GW2 game-play is not GW1 gameplay with dodging and jumping , it is an MMO standard ‘boring’ level gated grind , and due to how the scaling system fails the ‘all the game is end-game’ no longer functions either. Instead we see a shift to the industry standard players should feel powerful in lower level area’s.

I will refrain on the whole balance issue, and build options, etc. and just conclude with GW2 Game-play is boring industry standard game-play and in my views not worthy of the GuildWars name! This game should have been called ‘Tyria’ or something like that, because it simply isn’t guildwars in any way shape or form, as far as game-play is concerned.

And where do we see the most upheaval, and somewhat rightfully so. When it concerns further game-play deviation from the GuildWars ideals. And where it concerns delivering new permanent content .

I mean, if i can figure this out as a long term fan and gamer, without any true background in Game-design, nor getting paid to think about these things, then to what standard should i hold ANet, a company saying ‘We want to build the best game we possibly can’. It is not that they are not getting enough pointers or feedback here…

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

(edited by Arghore.8340)

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

They might not be able to use a salvage kit though, since the kits restrict new developers.. err i mean players.

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

You do not think that ‘this’ speaks volumes for Anet as a company, that their big ‘feature’ patch could be bugged to this level, speaks poorly on them for Q.A assuming they actually did any of it.

I can not see how any of these issues could not have been picked up during any reasonable Q.A cycle.

Did they just pick up the code from the Chinese version and translate it or something?

Posted by: Serenity.6149

Serenity.6149

Massive overreaction, guys. Whether it’s NPE, PvE, Fractals, WvW or sPvP… the only thing that matters, the gem store, is alive and well, and that is what keeps the game afloat. I mean, look at the GET MORE GOLD button on the Trading Post page that leads you to the Currency Exchange page, even though you can already get there with a single click by simply clicking on the Currency Exchange tab. Even the useless Black Lion Chests received priority over many needed changes.

Okay, seriously though, you realize that it doesn’t matter what you say here, they’ve already said that the forum is not representative of the entire player base. The only real way to make yourself heard is by no longer logging on and/or withholding your wallet.

(edited by Serenity.6149)

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

Massive overreaction, guys. Whether it’s NPE, PvE, Fractals, WvW or sPvP… the only thing that matters, the gem store, is alive and well, and that is what keeps the game afloat.

Okay, seriously though, you realize that it doesn’t matter what you say here, they’ve already said that the forum is not representative of the entire player base. The only real way to make yourself heard is by no longer logging on and/or withholding your wallet.

Done and done 07

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Please stop spreading mis-information. The hint about salvaging is unlocked at level 6.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Misconceptions-regarding-Level-gating/first

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Snowmoon.1758

You do not think that ‘this’ speaks volumes for Anet as a company, that their big ‘feature’ patch could be bugged to this level, speaks poorly on them for Q.A assuming they actually did any of it.

I can not see how any of these issues could not have been picked up during any reasonable Q.A cycle.

Did they just pick up the code from the Chinese version and translate it or something?

To be fair, anyone who has played mmos should know that no company
is ever perfect and epic screw ups can happen. The QC definitely has failed
on this one for sure. Heck they may even have just copy pasted everything
blindly from the china client.

All I am asking is to just give them time to resolve this.
Lets just wait and see if the situation improves.

Posted by: Galen.9042

Galen.9042

Not a single comment from Anet on the official forums has expressed any kind of displeasure about the changes. On the contrary; Anet has staunchly defended the changes when they’ve made any comments at all.

John Smith: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/I-have-a-question-about-the-economy/page/13#post4393326

I would say that Economics was not the driving force behind many of these changes, but I still think they’re good changes.

Colin Johanson: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Wait-You-can-t-DODGE/first#post4392591

His comments there (which I believe you’re referencing) refer exclusively to bugs and “unintended functionality” with the new leveling system. There isn’t a single mention okittennowledgement that people might not like the system.

Chris Whiteside: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Communicating-with-you/page/24#post4391022

Yes absolutely I am proud of this team. I am sorry that you don’t agree.

This group of ladies and gentlemen has put out amazing content at an amazing rate.

And no i am not talking any PR I am a developer.

So to be clear, yes i am proud of this team, i am proud of our work, i am proud of how we support each other, i am proud of how much we care for the game and the community. You can twist that statement as much as you like but that is my stance.

Again, defending the changes. Absolutely nothing about people not liking the changes.

In fact, the only comments from Anet that acknowledge that people are angry come from Reddit’s /r/guildwars2, where one of Anet’s artists posted a few comments.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2g003k/ladies_and_gentlemen_of_tyria_i_think_its_high/ckehiq9

Someone has to show players that we are reading the complains.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2g003k/ladies_and_gentlemen_of_tyria_i_think_its_high/ckef1xz

We are listen.

In my humble personal opinion, the risk of old players not liking the system was known. But I am in the art department, so I would let someone from design explain the details better.

That is the sum total of Anet’s acknowledgement that people might be annoyed with the patch: an artist commenting their personal opinions on a non-official forum. Sorry, but the overwhelming message I’m getting isn’t “We hear you, give us some time to fix it” it’s “This is the new system. Deal with it.”

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

To be fair, anyone who has played mmos should know that no company
is ever perfect and epic screw ups can happen. The QC definitely has failed
on this one for sure. Heck they may even have just copy pasted everything
blindly from the china client.

All I am asking is to just give them time to resolve this.

Fair enough. But, I still want to know why they thought this was a good idea. From what I hear, the China client wasn’t received well, either.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I salvage at level 2. Salvaging isn’t announced until level 6.

Posted by: Zyrhan.3180

Zyrhan.3180

This isn’t a lack of quality control. It is terrible, lazy design.

Any claims of bugs and QR issues are damage control, and short of player outcry that earns them some serious bad press in the wider gaming news, there won’t be any more than token tweaks that don’t alter the core functionality of this “feature patch”.

Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.
Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: weskay.9217

weskay.9217

I will be perfectly honest and say that this is how I am feeling:

Player-base: “I dislike and disagree with the changes that this patch brought.”
Anet: “You’re entitled to your own opinion as wrong as it is. We don’t care.”

Seriously, I get the feeling that they just don’t care anymore. That or they truly are in a financial struggle and this is the ONLY option they can make to keep the game alive. Unfortunately, the way that I personally see it, it’s only going to hinder them further.

www.vanquishing.enjin.com

Posted by: djr.4568

djr.4568

If Anet (the A seems NOT to stand for Arena – fill in your own expletive) continue on their (seemingly) chosen course for dumbing down everything and for providing no meaningful new content, they wont have a player base to upset for much longer!

Posted by: Alerno.1425

Alerno.1425

It’s going to take more than couple of days for them to fix this mess. Only fast way is to go back before the patch and I don’t think that is available option.

The patch did some good, but all the content gating and new player changes were a really, really, really, really, really …. really bad decision. They only thought about the money from China sector and not what their current players would think about it. Sure it’s their game, but if no one is willing to play they have no game.

Posted by: Phillip.9318

Phillip.9318

China hated it, Anet did nothing. We hate it, Anet isn’t gonna do anything. We can just as well calm down like thread holder said. Nothing is going to come of our objections. GW2 is going to become a pay to win, grind till you bleed game.

Posted by: Skywing.4836

Skywing.4836

You mean there is a way to salvage this situation besides rollback to the old system, shut the entire new system down (not including the commander/TP changes). Fire the guy that proposed the system and cry on the amount of resources (time and money) wasted on developing such trash?

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

This user is only 3 weeks old, I think or a month old!

Very good.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Every new patch is the end of the world on the forum.

Everybody is quitting, demanding something to be fixed as they say.
Every but every time the patch comes up the forum is full of 3 pages of complaint threads like: omg give us the human female idle animation back OR I’M QUITTING AND YOU CAN’T HAVE MY STUFF,
or: omg so confus, i can’t roleplay now because of confus double names when type, much quit, never return!

That’s why some other players who have some good ideas, more important then idle animation, are shadowed by these silly threads about nerfing the flowers in the field. that’s why those ideas aren’t taken seriously.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I am perfectly willing to give them time to fix this. Obviously short of rolling everything back to pre-patch, which isn’t likely to happen, it would take them at least a few weeks, minimum, to sort out which features to restore and which to leave in.

What I am not willing to do, however, is give them more time to respond to thigs. Yes, they’ve made some vague statements about “bugs,” but without specifying in many cases which elements are bugs and which are “features.” Most of the early joke of a leveling experience is seemingly intentional. Some of the more clunky new TP interface options seem to be intentional.

They need to get on the boards tomorrow ready to do some serious damage control, explaining exactly what their philosophy is with things like the early leveling, and why they think we’re wrong. They need to explain why they absolutely had to make it take several steps to sort through your TP history, rather than make it front and center. The “bugs” are perfectly forgivable, and the “features” they can take time to roll back, but I need to know that by tomorrow afternoon they will at least be working on rolling them back, rather than just remaining in denial that they need to do so.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

You know, I agreed with this sentiment way back in April, about the trait changes in the first feature patch. I felt certain that it would be addressed sooner rather than later. So I expressed my displeasure, I explained why it was impeding my enjoyment, and I gave plenty of suggestions for how to improve the system.

I did that over the course of four months, at which point a developer came into the thread and said they needed some time to discuss the issues internally. Then another developer came in and asked for feedback about the trait system. Because the 4 month old thread had over 40 pages in it, and that was just too much to read.

I’ve given them time. And I lost my faith in the team because of it.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Considering that it has been a full day now since I played this patch, I’d give it at least a week for Anet to accumulate as much feedback and perhaps remedy the situation completely.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Considering that it has been a full day now since I played this patch, I’d give it at least a week for Anet to accumulate as much feedback and perhaps remedy the situation completely.

By locking all the forum threads and message that they now have all the feedback they need (and still intend to do nothing about it)?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

we gave them 2 years… thats plenty enough time..

look at the ratings,
look at the youtube community
look at the reviews
look at the other forums
look at the ingame hate
look at the 1000s of bugs
look at the timeframe of changes

no1 cares about gw2 anymore, its a disappointment.

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer