Came back for one night...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jarvis.9540

Jarvis.9540

…played 45 minutes in the DS meta. Got d/c’d after 45 minutes (net connection was fine; all other net programs kept working). Finally got back in to no rewards. No thanks ANET. Fix your game. Logged back into FFXIV.

(edited by Jarvis.9540)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I agree the situation is crap right now with DS.

However I’d still rather fail at DS and get no reward than play FF XIV even if it were free.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Maybe I’m just lucky, but I never D/C at DS.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

…played 45 minutes in the DS meta. Got d/c’d after 45 minutes (net connection was fine; all other net programs kept working). Finally got back in to no rewards. No thanks ANET. Fix your game. Logged back into FFXIV.

Yes, because no one else had the same issue as you, it’s still anet’s “fault.” Did you actually look into what the error code meant? To be fair, anyone with ANY inkling of knowledge about networking knows that “other net programs” still working is worth less than the melting snow on my shoes. A random disconnect on A while B was never interrupted does not mean there’s a problem with A. It means there’s a good chance there’s an issue BETWEEN you and A, which is entirely unrelated to A, while there are no issues between you and B.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Yes, because no one else had the same issue as you, it’s still anet’s “fault.” Did you actually look into what the error code meant? To be fair, anyone with ANY inkling of knowledge about networking knows that “other net programs” still working is worth less than the melting snow on my shoes. A random disconnect on A while B was never interrupted does not mean there’s a problem with A. It means there’s a good chance there’s an issue BETWEEN you and A, which is entirely unrelated to A, while there are no issues between you and B.

that’s not the point.

the point is gw2 is the game that have this problem

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

The amount of error 90000(00)? in FFXIV is ridiculous.
Another error starting with 9xxxx and ending in a random number is also happening quite frequent. I also see many people in dungeons suddenly dropping. So no, FF14 has worse connectivity.

I had one disconnect in 8 months in GW2.
And yesterday evening it said I have no connection to guild servers while I did connect fine^^

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

You’re all missing the point.

The problem is not the disconnect, the problem is that when you DC or crash you lose everything, your map, your rewards, your time, all for nothing.

This is actually ruining the game since the expansion content depends on people staying in the maps for large periods of time, often several hours. In such a system there must be a way to preserve progress because if something can go wrong, it will go wrong, that’s just the nature of life. Always better safe than sorry.

Maybe I have a slow computer?
Maybe I have a bad internet connection?
Maybe I crash from out of memory on the 32-bit client?
Maybe the game had a bug?
Maybe there’s a power or net outage?

Please stop assuming everything is okay for everyone and add mechanics to keep your map slot and participation for a short time. Its really neccessary.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Logged back into FFXIV.

Sounds expensive.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Vayne.8563

No matter who’s fault the disconnect is, not being able to get back into the same map you were already in is a serious problem.

Once I invest 20-30 minutes into something in a game, if I feel I wasted my time, I get angry. It’s reasonable to be angry.

On the other hand I also go to great lengths to minimize the chance of that happening, because I don’t like to be angry. I do lower my graphic settings. I am using the 64 bit client.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Some people here missed the point, it is not that you disconnect or not. It is the lack of a rejoin mechanic that is the issue.

You should be allowed to rejoin the exact map you were on with the progress you made within five minutes of disconnect, you should also earn any progress rewards you were meant to gain upon logon.

I am sure it is not an easy thing to fix but it certainly is worth the time and manpower to find a solution.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Jarvis.9540

The problem is not the disconnect, the problem is that when you DC or crash you lose everything, your map, your rewards, your time, all for nothing.

This is actually ruining the game since the expansion content depends on people staying in the maps for large periods of time, often several hours. In such a system there must be a way to preserve progress because if something can go wrong, it will go wrong, that’s just the nature of life. Always better safe than sorry.

Maybe I have a slow computer?
Maybe I have a bad internet connection?
Maybe I crash from out of memory on the 32-bit client?
Maybe the game had a bug?
Maybe there’s a power or net outage?

Please stop assuming everything is okay for everyone and add mechanics to keep your map slot and participation for a short time. Its really neccessary.

This. Why was anyone confused?

Jarvis.9540

Logged back into FFXIV.

Sounds expensive.

$12/month isn’t expensive. LoL

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

The problem is a double-edged one though. Making segmented content is equivalent to building short-dungeons (again) and disorganized content (again) meanwhile making prolonged and linear content is equivalent to building risk of loss through any hardware or software failure.

To be honest I am not sure what the best option would be. I mean yes, going through X, Y, and Z and disconnecting at the moment of victory is terrible, I agree, but at the same time segmenting it (I.E. Living Story-ing) is a pain the kitten because you have to chase the start points rather than seamlessly go from one to the other.

I guess it’s a question of whether you want a world with a load screen or not. I mean no load screen is seamless but at the same time there would be fewer checkpoints / autosaves, etc. meanwhile a world with loading has more checkpoints and autosaves but … well it takes longer to go from A to B and breaks that feeling of “rush” in a sense?

There is only one solution: Anet, no NCSoft, should buy us all T1+ internet packages.

Posted by: Kayberz.5346

Kayberz.5346

Logged back into FFXIV.

Sounds expensive.

Giving the “homeless” drug adict on the corner a couple bucks isnt expensive either.

Doesnt mean its not a scam

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Logged back into FFXIV.

Sounds expensive.

More expensive than $0/month.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

DGraves.3720

Logged back into FFXIV.

Sounds expensive.

Giving the “homeless” drug adict on the corner a couple bucks isnt expensive either.

What in the kitten?

Vayne.8563

Logged back into FFXIV.

Sounds expensive.

More expensive than $0/month.

Doesn’t matter to me. With all it’s flaws, Guild Wars 2 is worth more to me than FFXIV would be if it were free to play and maybe even if they were paying me to play it. In all honesty if Guild Wars 2 charged a sub and FFXIV was free, I’d still choose Guild Wars 2 over it. Your mileage may vary.

Posted by: Kayberz.5346

Kayberz.5346

Logged back into FFXIV.

Sounds expensive.

What in the kitten?

Was that analogy too complicated for you?

“Homeless” person asks for money for “food and shelter” you give them money and they spend it on drugs/alcohol and go back to their appartment at night

Mmo company asks for monthly subscription fee to “support the servers and development costs”. The company makes more than enough money from initial game purchases + ingame cash store for these expenses and the sub fees go right in their pockets

Both parties are scamming people out of money for personal gain under the guise of “necessity” and “survival”

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Logged back into FFXIV.

Sounds expensive.

What in the kitten?

“Homeless” person asks for money for “food and shelter” you give them money and they spend it on drugs/alcohol and go back to their appartment at night

Mmo company asks for monthly subscription fee to “support the servers and development costs”. The company makes more than enough money from initial game purchases + ingame cash store for these expenses and the sub fees go right in their pockets

Both parties are scamming people out of money for personal gain under the guise of “necessity” and “survival”

Any MMO that charges a monthly fee AND has micro transactions is a scam. If I’m paying a monthly fee to be able to play your game, I shouldn’t also have to pay additional money to get shiny cosmetic things or “quality of life improvements”.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

Logged back into FF14 to do what? Stare at a wall? Wipe endlessly to the same boring content that’s been stagnating for over 10 months now?
At least this game has plenty of things to do.

DGraves.3720

Yes.

“Homeless” person asks for money for “food and shelter” you give them money and they spend it on drugs/alcohol and go back to their apartment at night

But you saying it’s the case doesn’t make it the case. I mean it isn’t as if it isn’t openly a for-profit business. They do the fee with the intention to cover ongoing costs plus make a profit. This is no scam because no one is actually lying. Furthermore we don’t actually know where the money for the initial sales goes; in many instances the developers are not their own masters, like Anet with NCSoft, so some of the money goes to other projects and leaves the studio when it is absorbed into the whole company.

The presumption that unit-by-unit (dev teams) sales are separate isn’t necessarily accurate.

So yeah, that analogy has me confused, unless “homeless” beggars wear a shirt that says “I am not actually homeless, now please give me your money so that I can just not pay for my monthly expenses. Thanks in advance.”

Posted by: FlashAhAhh.4307

FlashAhAhh.4307

OP – Everyone probably agrees with you but the way you said it makes you sound utterly ridiculous.

Everyone else – the OP does have a point. Losing everything because of is a DC is seriously harsh and in some maps it’s especially ridiculous.