Can Anet do anything...

Can Anet do anything...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

…without being criticized?

I can understand why people wouldn’t like the nerf to ranger pets (particularly PvE’ers). But lately there’ve been some threads that are just amazing to me.

Content patches are coming too fast.
People are being rewarded for achievement points so now we’ll have to grind achievement points.
Getting quartz in your home instance on one character is unfair to altoholics.
Monthlies are too easy.
They’re sleazy because they’re rewarding people in game for signing up to their facebook site.

Is there any single thing Anet has done, or can do that someone wouldn’t complain about?

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Probably not, but for purely negative ones who are just spouting off ignore them. I’m sure sour grapes posts (aside from constructive criticism ones) will be taken for what they are by Anet.

Game forums require one to keep an eye on reality while looking at the rants and trust that the pros who manage these forums have the judgment to see which posts have merit and which don’t.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Can Anet do anything...

Vayne.8563

I was asking the question quite literally. Is there anything that they can say/do in game that someone wouldn’t complain about. I’m actually interested in what that thing would be.

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: Rosen Myst.7641

Rosen Myst.7641

You know there’s that saying: you can please some of the people some of the time…all of the people some of the time … some of the people all of the time .. but you can never please all of the people all of the time. There will always be someone who’s not happy.

Hopefully Anet has tough skin and forum-goers like yourself will be able to keep people focused on the positive.

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

As a literal question, my answer is that no matter what Anet may do or not do someone will post negatively.

Different folks have different perspectives and desires, the internet inflates egos to the point of absurdity sometimes, and there are many idiots who think they are geniuses who know better than all others.

I would be shocked in this day and age if they were not criticised for posting anything as well as for not posting at all.

Cheers!

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Can Anet do anything without being criticized?

No.

While I agree that some criticisms are just plain stupid (the most laughable one IMO being “I should be rewarded for just playing the game / this doesn’t fit into my playstyle so I should be able to get the rewards my way”) and more often than not come from people who feel betrayed, and ANet will never do anything right in their eyes again), by nature nothing is perfect, and so criticism can help it improve, providing it’s constructive (and by constructive I mean “this is done well, this not so much, I feel this would benefit from” and not just focusing on the negative [how else will they know what they’re doing right?], snarky comments and “OMG this sucks I quit”).

Criticism isn’t something that should be unwanted, but embraced in order to improve and be the best you can. Especially so if they’re currently testing the waters with the LS. Even if they intend to do something about some of the criticisms, ANet should still take it on board as opposed to just trying to say ’we’re doing something about it’.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: Rosen Myst.7641

Rosen Myst.7641

And of course we must remember that unfortunately there are some people who enjoy bashing others. The forums are full of condescending remarks, full of negativity. So even if Anet created some really amazing content, there would be those who would enjoy saying they didn’t like it just to be disagreeable.

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

No I don’t think there is such a thing.
I am becoming really amazed at the people on this forum- so much so that I log on here less and less because I simply am so tired of the constant clamoring.

In game just the last couple of days I have run into a literal horde of brand new players, they are all wide eyed and blown away and so excited, it reminded me of pre launch when no-one knew anything and the community figured stuff out together.

That is what I play for, the in game community and the amazing game we experience together and Anet must be doing something right there.

Gunnar’s Hold

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: Torqueblue.1945

Torqueblue.1945

I can understand why people wouldn’t like the nerf to ranger pets (particularly PvE’ers). But lately there’ve been some threads that are just amazing to me.

People are being rewarded for achievement points so now we’ll have to grind achievement points.
Getting quartz in your home instance on one character is unfair to altoholics.
Monthlies are too easy.
They’re sleazy because they’re rewarding people in game for signing up to their facebook site.

Is there any single thing Anet has done, or can do that someone wouldn’t complain about?

Well I’ll have to go back and look at my post to see if I’ve ever complained. I’m sure I have…..somewhere. The fact that I can’t remember anything must mean that If I did complain about anything it wasn’t really important.

To answer your question. Yes, there is something THEY (Anet) can do for -> ME.

Don’t do anything for ONE Full month. No patchs, No new content, no gemstore items added, no fixes, No Changes, NOTHING. I Understand that is just simply Impossible for them to do. BUT if by some Divine miracle it happens and the game Suddenly Gets out hand and is Destroyed by this Request, I’ll Take full Responsible for everything that happened Both in this game and in the real world.

As for the Content part coming out too fast I have No real issue with it.

Cheevos are just another thing I won’t put too much effort into. Only Achievements I care about earning are the ones I play for on Xbox 360. Truth be told I really don’t Try to get any achievements anymore.

The Personal Node isn’t really something to complain about really. It’ll never shift (as far as I know) Anywhere so no Major map Travel. As for the Alt issue I have none.

Monthlies too Easy? Least they switched it up this month So, I’m content with that.
Easy or not I just want it done which usually doesn’t take me too much effort to do. Just happens Thru natural game play. For me anyway.

No real comment for Facebook or any other Social Sites for that matter.

Scotch and Pills, what could possibly go wrong? – Max Payne

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

There are people who would complain if you gave them fifty dollars. So somebody will always complain. Why be fussed about those sorts? Why complain about the complainers, or get all upset over it? If it bothers you, I’d respectfully suggest that forums are not something you should be reading.

To be fair, however, ArenaNet have deserved quite a lot of the criticism directed at them since launch. It’s easy enough to tell who’s got a legitimate criticism, and who doesn’t. I, for one, appreciate that people are willing to say when they don’t like something. It gives ArenaNet a bit of insight into the community and market, and also a chance to adjust and fine-tune their course.

Imagine this game with no feedback. All development decisions would be guesses, and there would be a much higher chance of it just becoming awful.

Can Anet do anything...

Vayne.8563

There are people who would complain if you gave them fifty dollars. So somebody will always complain. Why be fussed about those sorts? Why complain about the complainers, or get all upset over it? If it bothers you, I’d respectfully suggest that forums are not something you should be reading.

To be fair, however, ArenaNet have deserved quite a lot of the criticism directed at them since launch. It’s easy enough to tell who’s got a legitimate criticism, and who doesn’t. I, for one, appreciate that people are willing to say when they don’t like something. It gives ArenaNet a bit of insight into the community and market, and also a chance to adjust and fine-tune their course.

Imagine this game with no feedback. All development decisions would be guesses, and there would be a much higher chance of it just becoming awful.

This isn’t meant to be a complaint thread to complain about the complainers and if it came off that way, I’m sorry.

This is a thread to possibly discuss what Anet could announce that EVERYONE could get behind. Think of it as an exercise in futility. lol

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I am becoming really amazed at the people on this forum- so much so that I log on here less and less because I simply am so tired of the constant clamoring.

In game just the last couple of days I have run into a literal horde of brand new players, they are all wide eyed and blown away and so excited, it reminded me of pre launch when no-one knew anything and the community figured stuff out together.

That is what I play for, the in game community and the amazing game we experience together and Anet must be doing something right there.

^This. It’s easy to forget that wide-eyed wonder NEVER lasts. With anything. Doesn’t mean the magic’s gone, just that we’ve got used to something. And alas, the more you get used to, the more you start to demand. People constantly say “I remember when GW2 first released and X and X was so amazing …” it is STILL amazing. We’ve just normalised it now and so we expect more. “Keep us in this child-like state of awe!” we cry. Well, people have always asked for the impossible.

Can Anet do anything...

Vayne.8563

^This. It’s easy to forget that wide-eyed wonder NEVER lasts. With anything. Doesn’t mean the magic’s gone, just that we’ve got used to something. And alas, the more you get used to, the more you start to demand. People constantly say “I remember when GW2 first released and X and X was so amazing …” it is STILL amazing. We’ve just normalised it now and so we expect more. “Keep us in this child-like state of awe!” we cry. Well, people have always asked for the impossible.

Maybe I’m just more easily entertained than some people. Reminds me of when I went back to Guild Wars 1, which I played for five years, to help guildies get points for their HoM.

I almost never took Vekk as a hero, but the person I was helping did. And in one of the cut scenes, because Vekk was with us, I got different dialogue than I’d ever had before. I loved it.

I come across stuff like this in Guild Wars 2 all the time.

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

Maybe I’m just more easily entertained than some people. Reminds me of when I went back to Guild Wars 1, which I played for five years, to help guildies get points for their HoM.

I almost never took Vekk as a hero, but the person I was helping did. And in one of the cut scenes, because Vekk was with us, I got different dialogue than I’d ever had before. I loved it.

I come across stuff like this in Guild Wars 2 all the time.

I should perhaps have mentioned that it lasts longer for some than others, lol. I still have this, but I haven’t played for over a year, so who knows, maybe it will fade. But stuff like being able to dodge – AMAZING! Normal now, though. So when I try out other MMOs and I can’t do it, I’m like “WHAT? Give me dodging!” Which sort of illustrates that you give someone something and they want more. I’ll get frustrated that TERA doesn’t have a dodge and that I can’t move while I’m casting a spell … why? It’s nothing that TERA did … it’s my expectations that have changed. TERA’s combat is still pretty awesome, but I’ve normalised the way combat works in GW2.

And now that people have got used to dodging, that you can move while in combat etc all the WONDERFUL things that totally changed the way combat works in an MMO … well, they start to find flaws with the combat. “This is awful, this sucks, there’s no variety” they start to cry. And they’re wrong, but they’re also not wrong. They’ve just forgotten that GW2 IS ground-breaking in terms of combat. And that it STILL is. That hasn’t changed. Just our expectations. We’re a difficult bunch to live up to, humans.

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Remove DR.

Oh no wait… scrubs will complain.

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I was asking the question quite literally. Is there anything that they can say/do in game that someone wouldn’t complain about. I’m actually interested in what that thing would be.

Even if it was possible to please everyone in as diverse a group of players (it’s not) then someone trolling the forums would post a negative response specifically because everyone reading it would be offended and attempt to correct the poster and defend Anet. There are people in the world who are only happy when someone else is miserable.

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Lol, wracking my brain…a free 100 bank slots? What could there be to complain about that?

Oh wait….someone would surely say it’s some kind of bribe, and it’s just a preamble to some P2W scheme…or something equally dire and absurd.

Sigh.

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Fix all clipping issues, including charr tails/armor?

The table is a fable.

Can Anet do anything...

Vayne.8563

Fix all clipping issues, including charr tails/armor?

There you go.

Unless someone complained that Anet was wasting all this time on one race, what about the other clipping issues to non-Charr characters. lol

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Do you not see why some would complain about this particular point? There are some who work more than 40 hours a week and have familial obligations that come before gaming. And even though they love GW2, their hectic schedules and the temporary nature of the LS updates means they’re missing out on a lot of content they’d very much like to experience.

Edit 1: Do keep in mind the difference between a criticisms and a complaint. Criticisms generally come from people who enjoy the game, but feel this or that about it could be better. Complaints generally come from people who think the game should be built specifically to satisfy them alone.

Edit 2: To answer your question, I don’t believe I saw any complaints when we were given the ability to choose the five of however many achievements we wanted to complete for our dailies.

(edited by darkace.8925)

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: SmudgerUK.4715

SmudgerUK.4715

Lol, wracking my brain…a free 100 bank slots? What could there be to complain about that?

Oh wait….someone would surely say it’s some kind of bribe, and it’s just a preamble to some P2W scheme…or something equally dire and absurd.

Sigh.

Or… Why only 100 slots?

Or…I’ve been playing this game since beta and some guy who joined yesterday is getting the same reward as me, it’s not fair.

Can Anet do anything...

Vayne.8563

Do you not see why some would complain about this particular point? There are some who work more than 40 hours a week and have familial obligations that come before gaming. And even though they love GW2, their hectic schedules and the temporary nature of the LS updates means they’re missing out on a lot of content they’d very much like to experience.

Edit 1: Do keep in mind the difference between a criticisms and a complaint. Criticisms generally come from people who enjoy the game, but feel this or that about it could be better. Complaints generally come from people who think the game should be built specifically to satisfy them alone.

Edit 2: To answer your question, I don’t believe I saw any complaints when we were given the ability to choose the five of however many achievements we wanted to complete for our dailies.

I remember complaints about people and the choosing of achievements, because people were still complaining it wasn’t good enough, and they should be back to the original achievements, because even with choosing there aren’t enough options and people have to “go out of their way” to do some of them or lose out on their laurel.

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: SmudgerUK.4715

SmudgerUK.4715

ARENANET: “We’ve resolved every issue that anybody ever had with GW2. You can all play the game exactly as you want, whenever you want. Everything will be achievable to everyone and rewards will be outstanding.”

HABITUAL COMPLAINER: “Took you long enough didn’t it?”

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

GW2 has done a lot of positive things to push the genre, but at the same time it has instituted things that hold the genre back. Two prime examples are non static combat mechanics implemented well, and rng taking precedence over skill or targeted labor. The latter comes mostly from the monetization model though.

For any game that breaks convention it should be prepared for controversy as well.

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Sigh.

Or… Why only 100 slots?

Or…I’ve been playing this game since beta and some guy who joined yesterday is getting the same reward as me, it’s not fair.

Lol. Indeed. Well done.

As for the choice of 5 dailies, there were several threads and posts within other threads with complaints about ‘the new dailies’. Just as there are about everything else past, present, and future-GW2.

Can Anet do anything...

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Criticism and constructive criticism are very different. Some people are just quaggan criers, others have a reasonable complaint against something. While they may word it as if they’re flaming, the core of their complaints are what should matter.

Also search functions need to be lengthened. I’ll admit I’ve reposted a hot topic before but thats because threads get burried so quickly in this sub forum.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”