Can I be a bad guy?

Can I be a bad guy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

I’m kind of tired of everyone having the same story and being a goody goody two shoes, I would love to be able to join a faction and fight enemy players in the open world and make it where some factions arn’t red to me. (this way I can actually go to those places and not be so worried.)

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

For the Horde !

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

Bad guys don’t ask permission.

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

When GW2 wasn’t out yet, they answered the question multiple times. No, they don’t want you to be be an antagonist, and no, they don’t want to bring open world PvP into the PvE world. However, they have changed a lot of their philosophies in the past ten months, so I would say there’s a reasonable chance for what you are asking to become reality if NCSoft/Nexon are convinced that they can profit off of it. Keep those suggestions coming and you might get what you wish for!

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

Yeah, bad guys dont generally wear plushy backpacks or shoot unicorns from Rainbow Brites lost bow. Wrong game.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: lmaonade.9207

lmaonade.9207

When GW2 wasn’t out yet, they answered the question multiple times. No, they don’t want you to be be an antagonist, and no, they don’t want to bring open world PvP into the PvE world. However, they have changed a lot of their philosophies in the past ten months, so I would say there’s a reasonable chance for what you are asking to become reality if NCSoft/Nexon are convinced that they can profit off of it. Keep those suggestions coming and you might get what you wish for!

If people shelling the big bucks start wanting to PK people in the open world, it just might happen!

“Follow the green”
-NCsoft

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Guns and Giblets.9308

Guns and Giblets.9308

If people shelling the big bucks start wanting to PK people in the open world, it just might happen!

“Follow the green”
-NCsoft

Maybe they can put the ability to do open world PvP in an RNG box.

“A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.” -Jewish Proverb

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Dessan.9420

Dessan.9420

For the Horde !

Horde isn’t evil. It is just more manly, more awesome and better compared to the lame suckers from the alliance. Also, lok’tar ogar.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

Since they have back flipped on the majority of their previous ideals and statements, I would wager that in a expansion you might see a open world battlefield.

Be prepared to see troll stealth Thieves camping the entrance.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: spconder.2489

spconder.2489

Open World PvP in GW2? No thanks, I came here to get away from all of that.

I personally wouldn’t mind if the game gave you the occasional chance to make morally dubious decisions, but I’m pretty sure one of the lead designers stated that such things were not part of ANet’s vision for the game.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Be a thief, those are GW2’s bad guys…its a license from anet to grief/troll other players…

You can be very, very bad as a thief…

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

I kinda want to join the inquest.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

You can be the most evil person in all of Tyria who just happened to pick up the wrong hat (helm of alignment change) as you were on your way out to do evil stuff.

The table is a fable.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Go to WvW. Pretend the other players on the other servers are good guys and you’re a dirt bag. Kill them while pretending to be bad guy

Edit: Dirt bag wasn’t meant as an offensive term. It’s just 9 out 10 bad guys agree that being a dirt bag is part of being a bad guy

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

(edited by Grok Krog.9581)

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: God Of Fissures.8627

God Of Fissures.8627

Yes you can be a bad guy.

When the centaurs attack, taunt the Seraph, clap at the centaurs, and let the event fail.

i7-3770K (Delidded) @ 4.6GHz | nVidia GTX TITAN X@ 1468/7800
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz @ 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD | Windows 10 x64

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

You are bad guy…..but this does not mean you are “bad guy?” shrug

http://youtu.be/Eh4f8SUp-PU?t

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

I’ve played 2 games with fun open world PvP. One had a triangle of professions and the other was 2 nations in perpetual combat. Anet already has open world pvp available in the form of WvWvW. They never introduced actual rewards for it though. If there were dungeons, gold, weapon skins, or really good maps, it may incentivize an open world system. As is stands, wvw has no depth or enjoyment after a while, it’s just a crappier version of spvp where zergs rule.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Has there ever really been an MMO wherein the PC can be “bad”? I mean, more than just saying a few mean things or being a jerk to a companion NPC.

For the Horde !

Horde isn’t evil. It is just more manly, more awesome and better compared to the lame suckers from the alliance. Also, lok’tar ogar.

The Horde is definitely not evil. But it’s also my opinion that there are terrific people on both sides of that conflict — just as there are total jerkbags and scums as well. I’m not aiming to derail the thread to talk about this setting, but I have come to appreciate it for being dynamic, even amidst its cliches and weak characters, and not ever truly dropping “good” and “evil” on any one side or view.

Can I be a bad guy?

Guns and Giblets.9308

Has there ever really been an MMO wherein the PC can be “bad”? I mean, more than just saying a few mean things or being a jerk to a companion NPC.

Those first few levels as Death Knight were a bit dark, especially where you kill your childhood friend despite his cries for mercy.

Can I be a bad guy?

synk.6907

Has there ever really been an MMO wherein the PC can be "bad"? I mean, more than just saying a few mean things or being a jerk to a companion NPC.

Those first few levels as Death Knight were a bit dark, especially where you kill your childhood friend despite his cries for mercy.

Oh, sure, you definitely get a taste of playing for the bad guys. Some of it is really, really fun! But your friend and you also share a moment, and it's one of a few hints that you're one of the DKs not sold on the whole idea of obeying the Lich King's will; as I recall it your friend even accepts his/her fate so that you live on and remember, so that you can fight it. But perhaps I spun it too optimistically when I played?

No one likes the Scarlet Crusade anyway, though. Sweet tabard, however. Always had to snag that.

Can I be a bad guy?

Guns and Giblets.9308

But perhaps I spun it too optimistically when I played?

Difficult to tell! It seemed ambiguous. (I actually played through it earlier today, by a strange coincidence.) On the one hand, IIRC, the lore states that the Death Knights were completely bound in their will to the Lich King—so much so that they didn’t have one at all (see: Frostmourne). On the other hand, your character seems to hesitate. Maybe the way it played out was more a design choice because they couldn’t give you an appropriate backstory to have you feel the gravity of the situation.

And, yeah, sweet tabard!

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Yeah, bad guys dont generally wear plushy backpacks or shoot unicorns from Rainbow Brites lost bow. Wrong game.

Thats right the Care Bears are the good guys.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

What it with you nerds and black and white good and bad only? And limiting yourself to 2 factions? Disgusting.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: sneakysneasel.3542

sneakysneasel.3542

For some reason, being a bad guy has a certain… thing, to it. I don’t know what it is but I really wish I could play as a bad guy- even if it’s for one mission or that it involves your back-story and never really comes up again.

Isn’t anatomy beautiful? – Nurse Lexxi

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I was actually hoping upon playing gw2 being able to be a villain
I’d shave logan thackerays perfect head of hair
frame queen jennah – do a whole clinton administration thing
slice trehearnes throat
ride into town on zhaitan
rule the world with tybalt

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Onis.2418

Onis.2418

I pretend my salad-head elementalist is a very sarcastic person and plans on world domination outside the scenes. The amount of naivety and niceness he shows in the personal story just can’t be honest.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I still think they should bring back the event where a dragon (Shatterer I believe it was?) launched a full scale invasion on Plains of Ashford, corrupting players and allowed us to engage other players in open world combat as the two sides duked it out.

But this time preferably without Eir and Rytlock running around insta-killing every player that they see.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

The (now defunct) City of Heroes first expansion was City of Villains, where you played a villain/super villain. The second expansion, Going Rogue, was set in an alternate world from the main world and had you decide between Loyalist and Resistance, both of which had good and bad elements. Going Rogue also brought in the Rogue and Vigilante alignments for the main game, and allowed characters to start moving back and forth in alignment.

It was awesome, to say the least. There is something to be said for being the bad guy, or at least someone that’s not a morally upright hero.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Axyl.9408

Axyl.9408

Play the Sith in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Some of the stories in that game were absolutely incredible! I still play the story, just to experience the story lines(I treat it like a single player MMO.).

Seriously though, playing a Dark Side Sith Sorcerer was INCREDIBLY satisfying! Being very different from this game, the voice acting is VERY well done in that game.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Factions styled expansion giving us access to the rival factions complete with the introduction of open world PvP areas?

I’ll take ten copies!

Can I be a bad guy?

synk.6907

re: City of Villains: Oh, man, I keep forgetting that game existed. Thanks for that.

Play the Sith in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Some of the stories in that game were absolutely incredible! I still play the story, just to experience the story lines(I treat it like a single player MMO.).

Seriously though, playing a Dark Side Sith Sorcerer was INCREDIBLY satisfying! Being very different from this game, the voice acting is VERY well done in that game.

Ah, that’s a fair point. I have been following a very light-side themed empire LP of the game, where you can still be a hero and all that, but yeah you can totally be a comical jerkbag like all of the NPC sith in that game. Good call.

Can I be a bad guy?

CMF.5461

Way back in the day, Everquest had a thing they experimented with that allowed you to log in as a monster.

You could walk around and attack other players, and you could level up that monster over time. If a player killed you though, your monster was gone for good and you had to start over.

I “think” LoTRO had something like this too? I only played that for a little bit so really fuzzy.

Great concept, bad execution on EQ’s part, but something I would be interested in again if they did it right.

Play as an Orr zombie and wreck havoc on other players. Level up and become a champion mob with special abilities. Maybe earn titles and such like “the scourge of tyria”.

Only thing to be worried about is possibility of exploits since a player is now controlling the MOB instead of AI. They can let other players win if they like and give loot or what ever the rewards are.

Although with player controlled mobs, you could have bounties placed and player run events to find the monster and kill it.

Lots of potential, but has to be done right.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

Only thing to be worried about is possibility of exploits

Like forcing players to PvP even though they don’t want to, for example. That reminds me of UO before the PvE/P split. So much frustration…

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Once there is open world PK, it is the day I move to another game. GW2 now is already not the same game I started playing at all.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Shuguard.7125

Shuguard.7125

Yes, let’s start by murdering trahearne first.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Zoldyck.6241

Zoldyck.6241

Yes, let’s start by murdering trahearne first.

That would make you a good guy!

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

I actually have to agree with you. Its always us playing the same side over and over.
why don’t we get a story event where we have to pick a side and follow its story path, and at the end we get some kinda pvp event? (if you choice to join in that)

#ELEtism

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Be a thief, those are GW2’s bad guys…its a license from anet to grief/troll other players…

You can be very, very bad as a thief…

True, most thiefs are bad.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

The (now defunct) City of Heroes first expansion was City of Villains, where you played a villain/super villain. The second expansion, Going Rogue, was set in an alternate world from the main world and had you decide between Loyalist and Resistance, both of which had good and bad elements. Going Rogue also brought in the Rogue and Vigilante alignments for the main game, and allowed characters to start moving back and forth in alignment.

It was awesome, to say the least. There is something to be said for being the bad guy, or at least someone that’s not a morally upright hero.

Ah, City of Villains.

Setting up a young heroine to believe those she works with are directly responsible for the death of her parents, so she can be “comforted” by a guy who likes to twist people to evil.

Or helping the one guy run an orphanage where he acts nice, but really does everything he can to crush the souls of those he “helps”.

And lets not forget the classic Mad Scientist archetype, represented by people such as Vernon Von Grun or Doc Buzzsaw who gave us the quotes “Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?” and "By the way, if you are planning on charging into this without a small to medium sized group of rogues, I was wondering if you’d thought of what you’d like to have happen to your internal organs once the SuperFreak has ripped them out? I don’t want to be rude, but I could make sure that whatever remains of your body finds one or more new uses through my experiments. Well, think about it, won’t you?

(edited by Rajani Isa.6294)

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I thought I was playing a bad guy already. Blood legion charr guardian on a holy crusade to cleanse the land of everything that didn’t belong or worshiped a god? Hmm.. I even killed my own honorless father in a gladiator pit!

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

I would love for this to be implemented for one reason, and one reason only:

To have the honor and privilege of putting a bullet in Trahearne’s head

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: anathemawhite.6879

anathemawhite.6879

You’ve slain a whole tribe of centaurs, grawls, jotuns, killing innocent rabbits, killing rams, sheeps, and other yellow enemies, how more bad can you be?
And you helped Trehearne get to the peak. That’s the evilest thing one can do.

Misfortune falls upon us

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Emmet.2943

Emmet.2943

It would be cool to showcase the “dynamic” world(static as i call it as your just doing loop quests and/or what Anet want you to do unlike rift were you can lose entire zones/towns to some random kitten event you never saw coming but moving on)if eventually a war between the humans and the charr broke out causing humans and charr to be enemies when they meet in the open world and making divinity’s reach/black citidel’s guards hostile towards players of the enemy faction. You know because they seem to have an obsession with month to month temporary content so why not some temporary open world pvp. kitten they could make it so the slyvari are found out as something to do with an ancient dragon thus spooking the other 4 races into being hostile towards them till they find out the full story next month.

(edited by Emmet.2943)

Can I be a bad guy?

CMF.5461

In my mind, I envisioned the way they might do a dynamic world is via a sort of “poll”.

Players can do regular content, and depending on how many people participate in certain events and which conversation choices the majority of players pick, the story changes.

What if we all choose to stop helping the human/charr treaty negotiations and let the separatists rule the area for a month? Consequence of players not participating in the content is that war breaks out with the charr.

Kind of extreme and can’t happen, otherwise charr players and human players would now be at odds with each other, but something to that effect.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

I want to join the fire legion!!!!

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: ordered chaos.6019

ordered chaos.6019

Please guys don’t turn this game into another WoW clone. There are tons of games that have the good vs. evil/faction vs. faction gameplay. Go play one of them if you need to gank newbs in the starting zones that badly.

Can I be a bad guy?

CMF.5461

you just played “jump to conclusions” ordered chaos… please don’t apply your biases onto what I said.

I never indicated I wanted charr and human players to fight in open world pvp. I stated it would be good for the playerbase to have a measurable impact on the world based on actions we took.

The example I used was from the previous post about charr and human conflict. I stated it would be interesting but not work due to the game having charr as a playable race, so that if humans and charr were at war, it would make no sense to have charr and human players together peacefully.

I indicated the above example would be interesting for “dynamic world” reasons, but impractical for gameplay reasons.

Other scenarios could apply that template on player polls based on actions taken. That was just an example used to elaborate the idea.

Hate less, think more.

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: Mordule Standish.2371

Mordule Standish.2371

Would be fun to be able to join Nightmare Court, the Inquest, Covington, or Flame Legion… and kill Trahearne.

Prepare to don the behind hat – Zojja

Can I be a bad guy?

Posted by: bob.5680

bob.5680

Well, for me if they allow PvP into the PvE world it will be my cue to quit playing. I quit Aion and am all but done with SWTOR due to the developers forcing PvP on me when in a PvE world. If I choose to do PvP, I will go to an environment where that is the objective. Don’t force it on me in PvE…it just encourages griefers.