Can I just ask something?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LuckyThirteen.4576

LuckyThirteen.4576

So I have been playing since launch, and have mostly been enjoying the game, but I’m beginning to get really bothered.

So currently I roll an Engineer, and the biggest thing I’m forced to ask myself every time I log in is: What is the actual advantage to playing and engineer?

This isn’t a question of viability, mind, I know full well that an engineer can be used effectively, but the real question is, outside of flavor, why would you?

There seems to be a profound issue with the idea of classes in general in this game. If the idea is that there are no healers or tanks or objective focused classes, then their is as a result only one real role that any class can fill in this game. Every class has to be able to survive and deal damage. Anything else is just fluff.

The idea of balancing 8 classes in performing the exact same duties in different ways makes my head spin. But that’s essentially what GW2 is trying to do.

In short: In a game where there is essentially only a single role to fulfill in a party, then the class that best fills this one role is the best.

Its not a question of whether or not other classes are viable, just that, given a player of equal skill, a number of classes are simply better.

Essentially I guess what I;m asking here is, if there are no specific class roles in GW2, then what is the actual point of having individual classes?

I’m not even asking these questions rhetorically, I am genuinely at a loss here.

(edited by LuckyThirteen.4576)

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

Each class has the capacity to perform several roles but you can decide to focus on 1 specific role (or not to). What ’skill’s you bring define your role. Finally your items/traits improve your ability to carry out your role….

Or at least thats the idea.

LuckyThirteen.4576

Each class has the capacity to perform several roles but you can decide to focus on 1 specific role (or not to). What ’skill’s you bring define your role. Finally your items/traits improve your ability to carry out your role….

Or at least thats the idea.

Ok, so to roll off of that, what are the roles in GW2?

Posted by: UnicornViolet.3081

UnicornViolet.3081

Engineer is the most overpowered profession in the game ATM.

They can do everything that every other profession can, but better.

LuckyThirteen.4576

Can you elaborate on that? Maybe some numbers or specific scenarios?

Posted by: UnicornViolet.3081

UnicornViolet.3081

Can you elaborate on that? Maybe some numbers or specific scenarios?

i just made that up. i’ve had this game like 4 days, and my highest level engineer is like 5.

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

I don’t really get why so many people say that there are no roles but DPS in GW2. That is like saying that the only role in Dungeons and Dragons is damage, since “there are no specific roles” in D&D.

When my guild first started doing dungeons in GW2, the guild was full of DPS Warriors coming from WoW-clone MMO’s complaining/joking about anyone not using a DPS Warrior since “there are no roles in GW2, its just damage and surviving”. After guildies learned how the game actually works, and they actually diversified their classes and builds, dungeons were much, much smoother, safer, faster and therefore more profitable and pleasant.

Its not really a surprise that a tanky Warrior, balanced Guardian, full support Elementalist, and damage focused Warrior and Ranger was 100 times better at dungeons than four DPS Warriors (thinking that they are the optimal dungeon character) and a balanced Guardian (telling everyone they are a bunch of noobs).

Honestly I think the “no roles in GW2” thing is a L2P issue.

Posted by: Amirio.3802

Amirio.3802

Damage,support and control are the roles you can choose to play atm in guild wars 2 you can even try mixing it up abit. As for what role the engineer excels at id say perhaps abit of everything i believe.

LuckyThirteen.4576

I don’t really get why so many people say that there are no roles but DPS in GW2. That is like saying that the only role in Dungeons and Dragons is damage, since “there are no specific roles” in D&D.

When my guild first started doing dungeons in GW2, the guild was full of DPS Warriors coming from WoW-clone MMO’s complaining/joking about anyone not using a DPS Warrior since “there are no roles in GW2, its just damage and surviving”. After guildies learned how the game actually works, and they actually diversified their classes and builds, dungeons were much, much smoother, safer, faster and therefore more profitable and pleasant.

Its not really a surprise that a tanky Warrior, balanced Guardian, full support Elementalist, and damage focused Warrior and Ranger was 100 times better at dungeons than four DPS Warriors (thinking that they are the optimal dungeon character) and a balanced Guardian (telling everyone they are a bunch of noobs).

Honestly I think the “no roles in GW2” thing is a L2P issue.

You do have a point, but I will also point out that organized play and pug play can be very different from a team roles perspective.

That said, can you elaborate a little more on the roles of classes in GW2? Thing is, even if there are roles, are there enough classes to fill them? Not to mention the simple fact that, at the end of the day in GW2 “damage and surviving” is something that every class must do regardless of their specific build. So are these roles, or just extra?

(edited by LuckyThirteen.4576)

LuckyThirteen.4576

Damage,support and control are the roles you can choose to play atm in guild wars 2 you can even try mixing it up abit. As for what role the engineer excels at id say perhaps abit of everything i believe.

Yes, and I have heard these before, but no one has ever explained them to me.

What is it, in a group, that each of these roles is necessary for and does specifically? What are support and control, and do they not also need to do decent damage at some point?

(Apologies for the double post)

Surbrus.6942

Haven’t played an Engineer since BWE1, but from playing alongside and against them.. seems like their best role would be holding ground. Knockbacks, turrets, area denial.. they can be pretty kitten mean when they want to hold a point.

Don’t pay too much attention to the “damage/support/control” thing, Anet really can’t predict what the meta is going to be after release, about a year before the game came out. The roles aren’t ridged like typical [boring] Tank/DPS/Heal, but.. as I mentioned already, they’re more like combat roles in D&D where you can basically build any class to excel in any role you wish… and even make up your own specialty roles within the rule set you are using.

Amirio.3802

What is it, in a group, that each of these roles is necessary for and does specifically? What are support and control, and do they not also need to do decent damage at some point?

Look at a shout build warrior for example they can remove conditions for your group and not only that provide decent damage and control at the same time with a hammer or mace and shield. I think engineer has something similar to that.

LuckyThirteen.4576

Look at a shout build warrior for example they can remove conditions for your group and not only that provide decent damage and control at the same time with a hammer or mace and shield. I think engineer has something similar to that.

Apologies, but I don’t really see how that answers my question. Could you clarify please?

Posted by: MethodicMockingbird.6520

MethodicMockingbird.6520

So I have been playing since launch, and have mostly been enjoying the game, but I’m beginning to get really bothered.

So currently I roll an Engineer, and the biggest thing I’m forced to ask myself every time I log in is: What is the actual advantage to playing and engineer?

This isn’t a question of viability, mind, I know full well that an engineer can be used effectively, but the real question is, outside of flavor, why would you?

There seems to be a profound issue with the idea of classes in general in this game. If the idea is that there are no healers or tanks or objective focused classes, then their is as a result only one real role that any class can fill in this game. Every class has to be able to survive and deal damage. Anything else is just fluff.

The idea of balancing 8 classes in performing the exact same duties in different ways makes my head spin. But that’s essentially what GW2 is trying to do.

In short: In a game where there is essentially only a single role to fulfill in a party, then the class that best fills this one role is the best.

Its not a question of whether or not other classes are viable, just that, given a player of equal skill, a number of classes are simply better.

Essentially I guess what I;m asking here is, if there are no specific class roles in GW2, then what is the actual point of having individual classes?

I’m not even asking these questions rhetorically, I am genuinely at a loss here.

I think one of the answers you’re looking for is variety. ANet can’t have us all playing Warriors, can they (which, by the by, is the class I think you’re referring to as the best, if specced correctly; maybe guardians, but they’re slower)?

I suppose if you want a reason to play your engineer (and its why I play mine), then justify playing it because it’s got the best set of gun skills (IMO), the best variability, and as such, the most customization out of all classes except for, maybe, the Warrior or Elementalist when it comes to weapon skills.

Orion the Cursed.1206

Currently…

My Engineer = (tank + distract + res + seperate + lockdown) in WvWvW n sPvP
My Mesmer = Harvest materials. I dont play much with this now
My Guardian = (tank + protect/boost others + heal others) in dungeons and WvWvW
My Necro = (damage via condition stacking/glass cannon?) in dungeons
My Thief = Storage. Havent Lvl to 80. I dont play much with this now

I can’t tell you what role you want. Only you can decide what appeals to you.

LuckyThirteen.4576

I think one of the answers you’re looking for is variety. ANet can’t have us all playing Warriors, can they (which, by the by, is the class I think you’re referring to as the best, if specced correctly; maybe guardians, but they’re slower)?

I suppose if you want a reason to play your engineer (and its why I play mine), then justify playing it because it’s got the best set of gun skills (IMO), the best variability, and as such, the most customization out of all classes except for, maybe, the Warrior or Elementalist when it comes to weapon skills.

I understand variety, I really do. But is variety really enough to justify using a class that would seem to be just flat out inferior.

I mean, I may like engineers style, but when its damage/survivabillity are actually worse than that of another class, what is the actual point to playing an engineer.

A beetle may have character, but its unlikely to overtake a formula 1 racecar, is basically what Im saying.

Orion the Cursed.1206

I understand variety, I really do. But is variety really enough to justify using a class that would seem to be just flat out inferior.

I mean, I may like engineers style, but when its damage/survivabillity are actually worse than that of another class, what is the actual point to playing an engineer.

A beetle may have character, but its unlikely to overtake a formula 1 racecar, is basically what Im saying.

So your main issue is that because you think engineers are inferior because they have less damage and survivability than Warriors so theres a problem with this game? Tell to all the dead warriors from my hands in WvWvW (most are 1 on 1)

MethodicMockingbird.6520

What you’re referring to now is mostly the developers’ imbalancing of the classes. Ask just about any non-Warrior and they’ll probably say the most OP class is Warrior because of the lack of nerfs it’s been given. Engineer, on the other hand, just recently received a nerf to the grenade kit, which was a staple of many players’ builds (mine included, though my engineer is at a low level so the loss was minimal).

Variety works better when all other things remain equal, like choosing between two identical cars of differing color.

LuckyThirteen.4576

Maybe it would help if we tried to list, for every class, one thing that that class does better than any other class in the game.

Such a listing could help me, in any case.

Orion the Cursed.1206

Maybe it would help if we tried to list, for every class, one thing that that class does better than any other class in the game.

You cant make that list because everybody carries different skills. I think you would be better off playing a Blizzard ARPG.

Surbrus.6942

You do have a point, but I will also point out that organized play and pug play can be very different from a team roles perspective.

That is very true, PUGs and more organized play are going to differ vastly. The vast majority of my experience is with more organized play, so I may be a little bias towards that style.

That said, can you elaborate a little more on the roles of classes in GW2? Thing is, even if there are roles, are there enough classes to fill them? Not to mention the simple fact that, at the end of the day in GW2 “damage and surviving” is something that every class must do regardless of their specific build. So are these roles, or just extra?

Different roles I’ve seen to be useful.
>Tank
Contrary to what many people might say, there is an aggro or “hate” system that many enemies use. It can be simple, or more complex. In general, high toughness will give the player more aggro/hate, proximity is also a good bet most of the time. Some things might be a little more specific to the particular enemy themselves: some enemies really hate people who use range, some hate melee, some hate when you apply conditions, etc. Having this knowledge my guild was able to know exactly where the enemy attacks were going to be directed in the Twilight Arbour dungeon, to the point where if the “main tank” couldn’t keep up (defensive cooldowns, too low of HP, about to die, etc), they would inform the rest of the party that the aggro is going to be transferred to [specific character] and when exactly the aggro is going to be shifted.

Of course when I am saying “tanking” for GW2 I don’t mean that the “tank” is standing around and letting the enemy attack them. The “tank” is going to be using as many defensive abilities and dodges as they can. Example against the Spider boss in Twilight Arbour, my Hammer Guardian is going to be trying to get as many auto attack chains completed (for protection), side stepping as many attacks as possible, and dodging/blocking when they can’t simply sidestep (to save on cool downs and endurance). Of course this Guardian should fight a little distance from everyone else, so that the AoE isn’t being thrown towards the rest of the party. Note: this role generally requires a lot of meta-knowledge about the game, as knowing what particular enemies “hate” is the best way of directing their attacks away from your allies.

>Support
We’ll call this “support”. Healing is only a small part of support, what the support role does more so is provide boons, and in general makes it easier for the rest of the party to do what they are trying to do. These guys usually love Boon duration, and spit out a variety of boons all over the party. This role also consists of condition removal. In general whatever “supports” allies and makes them more effective can fall into this role.

>Control
We’ll call this “control”, it could probably use a better description. Basically this role would consist of screwing over your enemies and making them less effective. Interrupts, CC, applying conditions and removing enemy boons are great. Anything that you can do to make the enemy less effective (besides just killing them) is “controlling” the battlefield. I have a Thief that mostly goes for this role, where I pretty much have Weakness and Poison permanently on my enemy (heals are less effective, attacks do less damage), plenty of blinds (negating enemy attacks), dazes (interrupts, negating enemy actions) as well as boon removal (negating enemy boons). I don’t really do a whole lot of damage, but with that build and style I can make the effectiveness of my enemies greatly suffer.

>Damage
Pretty self explanatory. This is the role that many people think is the only role. Direct damage and condition damage, either single targets or AoE. Pretty straightforward. Everyone does this no matter how much you try to specialize yourself away from this role.

No one is going to be just one of those roles, there is so much overlap (my Thief example also does a lot of support with invisability and lots and lots of regeneration). I would prefer to split those roles up further, but just pushed on time atm… as “Damage/Support/Control” are fairly huge umbrellas, I split “tank” into a different role from “Control” because it is one of the more unique/misunderstood roles in the game, but for example a debuffing Mesmer/Necromancer/Thief that focuses on boon removal is going to be very different from another “Control” player going for focusing on interupts/denying enemy actions, which could also be very different from another “Control” player going for lots of conditions. And seeing as how most people are going to be overlapping with several roles, one “Control” player very well might have nothing in common with another “Control” player.

LuckyThirteen.4576

You cant make that list because everybody carries different skills. I think you would be better off playing a Blizzard ARPG.

You can’t say what each class does best? If not every class has something that they’re best at, then how is it an illogical conclusion that some classes are fundamentally better than others?

MethodicMockingbird.6520

Okay, that’s not too hard.

Necromancers: Conditions and Control (with a staff build)
Rangers: Ranged damage, believe it or not. (Their longbow skill 1 suffers from being too close to an enemy)
Elementalists: Versatility and/or Healing, Burning damage (No other class has a full set dedicated to healing and could play a reliable healer, nor do as much burning damage)
Guardians: Buffs and regeneration. They’re walking bacta tanks that still are capable of taking damage and dealing some out.
Warriors: Dealing damage outright. They have the least amount of support skills (to my knowledge), but a fair amount of strengthening buffs.
Engineers: Customizable. Tool belt allows a lot of choices in how you want to play.
Mesmer: … Not sure. Haven’t played this class much.
Thief: Most mobile class I would say, and doesn’t have cool downs (works off iniative).

Amirio.3802

Apologies, but I don’t really see how that answers my question. Could you clarify please?

Alright, support is any form of healing/condition removal and its ment to heal not only yourself but your group as well hence why I mentioned shout build warrior now control on the other hand is anything related to CC like knockdowns/stuns/cripple etc, you can get decent damage if you stack pow/pre/tou basically making you tanky abit with decent damage and CC. As for how these relate to an engineers best role I cant really say since i never leveled one to 80.

Orion the Cursed.1206

You can’t say what each class does best? If not every class has something that they’re best at, then how is it an illogical conclusion that some classes are fundamentally better than others?

You can’t because of customization. I can choose to ignore certain aspects and focus on others and still be effective.

For example both of us play engineers(beetles) but i dont have a problem killing warriors(Ferraris), because i bring skills specifically for PvP (WvWvW) play while the warrior was using a basic damage(greatsword)+survive(self heal) build that you mentioned. However with my current build i cant do PvE as well as other engineer builds.

Warriors/Thief’s are (at first glance) straight forward characters. Attack and kill before you die. You can adopt this kind of thinking if it suits you. Nothing wrong if you prefer it. If so yes, guardians, warriors, thief are the BEST FOR YOU.

EDIT: When i play my guardian, i’m only focused on keeping people alive, not damage. When i play my necro, i laugh while stack lots of bleed on enemies.

EDIT2: i would also like to add that when i played my bomb engineer i could kill 5 risen orrian at the same time with little effort and because of that sometimes when i cant kill as much and fast with my (DPS greatsword and condition tank)guardian i do feel less effective with my guardian. My point is your build(skills/traits/items) matters more that you think. Hopefull in the future when they fix the bugs and give us more skills, we can come up with more builds

(edited by Orion the Cursed.1206)

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

here’s a link to what the developers are shooting for as far as roles for the professions

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-December-14-2012/first#post999247

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

i like the OP way of thinking. answer is no point in having different classes. that can be seen in the fact that a lot of classes have same skills with different animation. maybe its just lazy development, but on the other hand, in how many ways can we expect developers to create the same roll? im kinda not hoping for many new skill changes in the future patches…

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Another important factor is that different professions do the same role in different ways. So it gives people an opportunity to find one that suits both their playstyle and the role they want to fill instead of choosing one or the other.

For example warriors and thieves are both typically straight-forward damage dealers who rely on killing the enemy before they get killed. But they do it in different ways. Warriors have high armor and a lot of strength buffs which allow them to take a lot of damage while dealing continuously high damage back.

Meanwhile thieves have less armor and are generally weaker but have a lot of dodge and stealth skills which allow them to avoid getting hit in the first place, and deal high damage in spikes from particular attacks.

Similarly elementalists provide support mainly through healing, whereas guardians do it mainly by using buffs and control skills to stop their allies taking damage.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

While many classes do have very different playstyles (some are more bursty, some more support, some more control), ANET had a philosophy of ‘bring the player, not the class’.

So they designed things where, in most situations, a group of folks would be able to somehow achieve what more strictly defined roles did: instead of a healer, you’ll have someone shielding, someone healing via HoTs, and someone else cleansing. All players can contribute to DPS and support (to varying degrees).

A Mesmer plays differently than a warrior or an engineer, though. All classes are hybrids, but they don’t all work the same.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: FacesOfMu.3561

FacesOfMu.3561

I’m curious about the OP’s point that

Its not a question of whether or not other classes are viable, just that, given a player of equal skill, a number of classes are simply better

Over the years I’ve noticed new classes in other MMOs come out as hybrids of the trinity, or existing classes be shaped over the years into three distinct trait lines. It’s as if allowing as many classes be have the possibility of being tank, healer, or DPS satisfies the most players and upsets the least.
The other obvious function of this is ensuring that when a new class is released, or a class gets an overhaul, that dungeon runs and events aren’t unbalanced by the attention given to new roles. For example, a Thief class is typically DPS (excluding Rift, etc). If it were released new or given some fantastic changes, a lot of players might migrate for a time to that role and leave the game wanting tanks and healers. I remember the times where finding tanks and healers was a real struggle. Even though both roles were a minority in the team and the playerbase, this parallel didn’t lead to easily finding people ready to play them when you needed them.

Healer classes are never only healer roles, too. They are mixed with a good dose of DPSing, and depending on the class can also spec to Tank (Paladin classes as an example).

Hybridising classes to possibly take on any role encourages players to fill needed gaps rather than stick to their guns. As such, I think classes across MMORPGs represent Group Roles less and less, and are allowing for more opportunities regardless of class restrictions.
GW2 does this to the extreme. It visualises a way that each class can possibly support others within the lore of the role and gives every player the opportunity to spec that way, whether for damage dealing, damage taking, or giving teammates a foot-up (though not to the point of allowing or requiring the trinity for dungeons and events).

People vary.

(edited by FacesOfMu.3561)

Posted by: FacesOfMu.3561

FacesOfMu.3561

GW2 also tries to make combat strategy a moment-by-moment event so that you engage your full attention and work hard to respond to what is happening now. Having predefined roles decided before dungeons can also take players away from combat. Healing and support isn’t what box you ticked an hour ago at the start, it is now when the cooldown has ended and you can choose between clicking the button or waiting a sec for your group to get the right formation to get max heal, or dodge from that huge hit and wait until the AOE effect ends before dropping the turret and hope to goitre you get through the next cooldown or one of your comrades are also looking out for their teammates. It’s faster combat where we are having to adjust to the new circumstances that have arisen since we could last use our skills, and ArenaNet wanted it that way.

People vary.

Posted by: bluewanders.5297

bluewanders.5297

you are right… there are NO permanent roles in gw2…

However… thinking that there are no roles entirely is fautly as well.

The roles a toon takes on are situational… good players adjust themselves, traits, utilities, and weapons to meet the demands of the current situation.

You should never set your utilities up and never ever reconsider your choices… naturally builds themselves are going to be a little more solid, but you can still switch traits from time to time to meet different demands.

Effective communication even in a pug is very important… if you’ve been through once you can talk for a moment about different parts of a dungeon and what you plan to bring to the table… then do your job and watch magic happen. If you haven’t been together… communication is still key… you can let everyone know how you are traited… what you have on your skill bar… and what is available to you. Taking 5 minutes to discuss utility combos and strategy before starting a rough area in the game can save a team from wipes.

Out in open world there isn’t really anything taxing that requires you to communicate with others unless you plan to take on a group event or some such… but higher level fractals and dungeons need cooperation and team play to be successful instead of simply a ‘waypoint zerg’ or a ‘dps fest’… honestly… dps builds are NOT the end all in the game. A group that understands what to expect from each other is much more effective than 5 glass cannons that meet up in map chat LFG convos… and then rush through a dungeon as quickly as possible expecting each other to know exactly what to do and when without mistakes, then rely on exploits, bugs, and content skipping to finish.