Can I really only make chars on 1 server?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Synapse.7690

Synapse.7690

So… buy the GF the game and go to switch servers to play on Black Gate instead of Anil Rock. Can’t create characters there… only option is to transfer existing characters? At 2,400 gems? That’s $35 bucks. Did I miss something?

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

So… buy the GF the game and go to switch servers to play on Black Gate instead of Anil Rock. Can’t create characters there… only option is to transfer existing characters? At 2,400 gems? That’s $35 bucks. Did I miss something?

Sadly that is the case. You can only have one home sever at a time. You could delete all characters and move for free, but I wouldn’t suggest this option.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

You did. It tells you that when you create your first character. Your home world is who you represent when you play World vs World and determines your Power of the Mists bonuses.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World

You can guest on other servers however – up to 2 servers per day. This is for PvE open world only. For WvW you would need to transfer. Be aware that since the tournament is currently active if you transfer now you will be locked out of WvW for up to 2 weeks.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

That’s why you have guesting. The reason you can’t just casually switch between servers is because of WvW. Don’t make this system seem worse than it actually is.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So, if the GF just bought the game, have her delete her characters and transfer to your server at no cost. Problem solved! (Though, keep in mind, there is a 7-day cooldown on server transfers.)

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

Or just wait till Tuesday, when all servers are merged into one. Done and done.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Servers are not being merged. You will still have a home world.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

All servers will not be merged into one on Tuesday. The only maps that will take advantage of the MegaServer implementation will be low-population maps, not to be confused with low-level maps…and the PvP Lobby.

Probably, most people won’t even see the MegaServer effects, unless they go looking for it (in rarely visited mid- to mid/high-level maps).

Becka Williams.4978

Servers are not being merged. You will still have a home world.

They basically are. Claims to the contrary are just words to deflect from the fact that all servers are being merged together.

Becka Williams.4978

All servers will not be merged into one on Tuesday. The only maps that will take advantage of the MegaServer implementation will be low-population maps, not to be confused with low-level maps…and the PvP Lobby.

Probably, most people won’t even see the MegaServer effects, unless they go looking for it (in rarely visited mid- to mid/high-level maps).

The megaserver is unstoppable. It will come to all maps, it’s just a matter of time. However, if you want to save money, just have your girlfriend delete her character and reap on anvil rock.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The megaserver is unstoppable. It will come to all maps, it’s just a matter of time. However, if you want to save money, just have your girlfriend delete her character and reap on anvil rock.

Well, a ‘matter of time’ is not Tuesday, which is what you advised the OP.

Becka Williams.4978

Well, a ‘matter of time’ is not Tuesday, which is what you advised the OP.

I was being slightly flippant. it’s not like they’ve said what maps are included. It’s possible it’s every map EXCEPT the starter areas and the cities.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

I really wish people would stop spamming about how its a server merge without understanding the technology at all or why it is implemented.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Perhaps. Though with all the new accounts (lots of posts from newbies misunderstanding how the game works), I’m guessing the maps after starter zones will be a bit more populated for awhile.

I am curious how one determines if one is on a MegaServer map, as opposed to a regular map. Maybe it will be labeled in the Mini-map. /shrug