Can Males get some revealing armor?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kuroko.6239

Kuroko.6239

So a lot of us males, are wanting our pixels to look sexy.
This needs to be brought to the attention of the devs… Almost all the outfits for men are boring and plain armor that cover everything, while if you put them on a female, you can see their legs, belly and breast.. I think it’s a bit sexist that males don’t get the privilege to look sexy while females show everything off?
Some females would like some pixel eye candy to you know >.>.

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

Let’s do this guys. Equal opportunity armor ftw.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

For this I would recommend the return of the elite gladiator armor for male warrior from GW1.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Elite_Gladiator_Armor

*cough*readmysignatureArenaNet*cough*

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

There is some heavy armor that fits those needs and we also have the raiment of the lich outfit for all the armor classes (but that one is not avaidable in the gemstore anymore).

EverythingOP

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I would rather they decrease (or preferably completely remove) the amount of revealing female armors than adding even more revealing stuff.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Still waiting for some for my Thief. Heavy and Light at least get 2~ options but not my poor Sylvari Thief. c.c

I wish the Charr medium racial chest wasn’t exclusive to them. It has no skirt and shows off a lot of skin. Such a waste on Charr onry ;;

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Zera Allimatti.2541

Those posts are also old, so make sure not to post on them. You’re not supposed to bump up threads that have not had posts in over 30 days.

Kuroko.6239

For medium armor, all us males have are heavy ugly coats… Areanet make a dream come true, let males also be attractive. There’s two genders on this planet, and both deserve to have equal opportunities.

This is a serious problem, and it should be taken seriously.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I agree. I don’t even have any male toons but I think we should have options for both genders regardless. It’s not fair that only females can have underboob. I’m sure there are some nice burly Norn men that would like to show off some of that too.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

lordkrall.7241

There are actually more than two genders.

And yes, it should be equal. But it should be equal in a way that they remove the revealing stuff from females rather than adding them for males.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: punkinkatt.4823

punkinkatt.4823

Men in revealing armor? Norn men, even?

Ever seen a Galka in a subligar?
Not very pretty! >.<

Xev Munroe, Human Ranger: “I love my menagerie
of animals. I love them more than I do most
people. Even solo, I am never alone!”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Those posts are also old, so make sure not to post on them. You’re not supposed to bump up threads that have not had posts in over 30 days.

That forum rule is rather fuzzy. There is an option to do the bump if you want to, so it has to be all right in some circumstances. I think mods have even commented that it’s better to add to an existing discussion than to just repeat the conversation in thread after thread.

In this case the request for male skimpy armor is exactly the same as we’ve seen over time, without any game changes that have made the earlier threads obsolete, so I think it makes more sense to consolidate the commentary than to spin wheels rehashing old debates.

I guess that’s why some perennial topics have been merged.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Removing or altering existing armor should not be considered IMO, adding more options, sure.

Removal of “revealing” armor is nonsensical imo.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I want Lord Faron’s red speedo. My warrior would do rock that and make my enemies feel inadequate.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Zera Allimatti.2541

There are actually more than two genders.

And yes, it should be equal. But it should be equal in a way that they remove the revealing stuff from females rather than adding them for males.

You don’t advocate gender equality by limiting options, you just kittening don’t. You advocate it by making the already existing options available to all.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I also want more revealing armors, specially for my Charr.
My Charr have such nice fur but I can’t show it off properly for lack of armor options.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Zera Allimatti.2541

I want Lord Faron’s red speedo. My warrior would do rock that and make my enemies feel inadequate.

That would be rather difficult considering character models lack any form of genitalia.

lordkrall.7241

You don’t advocate gender equality by limiting options, you just kittening don’t. You advocate it by making the already existing options available to all.

To be fair it can be done both ways.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Kuroko.6239

Lord farrens thighs though, so perf.

Posted by: Norb.4253

Norb.4253

FFXIV handled this real well I thought in that the armor didn’t really change in appearance much from one gender to the other. If something was a chainmail bikini on a woman, it was also a chainmail bikini on a man.

Zera Allimatti.2541

I suppose, but I still feel it is wrong to pretend to not like skimpy outfits just because it’s suddenly cool to be all “stop objectifying women” because it’s a trending thing right now.

I’m not saying that this is exactly what you are doing, but it seems that way. I’m also not saying that it is okay to treat women as objects, but this is a fantasy game set in a fictional world occupied by fictional people. They are not real people, and if I want my character’s skin showing then kitten it I will enjoy pretty pixels the game allows. Call me a pervert if you want, I don’t care, but I like the female figure’s aesthetics. It’s just the way I was born. It’s all part of the entertainment factor, and it’s not like our characters partake in sexually suggestive poses or actions.

At least, the game’s armor designs are varied enough that not all the armors are skimpy. There are plenty of ultra-conservative armor skins in the game. As the OP suggested, the game could use more, if anything.

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

I would rather they decrease (or preferably completely remove) the amount of revealing female armors than adding even more revealing stuff.

Yeah screw choice! Everyone should dress the way you prefer, not the way they prefer, right?

Posted by: Wylf.2586

Wylf.2586

I suppose, but I still feel it is wrong to pretend to not like skimpy outfits just because it’s suddenly cool to be all “stop objectifying women” because it’s a trending thing right now.

Eh. Personally I’m not too much of a fan of skimpy outfits. Apart from my sylvari lady (who is wearing tier 1 cultural armor, which is technically skimpy I guess) all my female toons are more or less fully clothed as much as that is possible. So… I would approve of more options for fully clothed female characters. Not everyone likes the same things.

However, that doesn’t mean that I would want skimpy options taken away. Personally I’m not using them all too often, but I’m fine with them being there. Less customization options are always bad, more are always good, in my opinion.

’twas right, said they, such birds to slay, that bring the fog and mist.

Nilfa, Asura Thief, Devona’s Rest

Zera Allimatti.2541

Eh. Personally I’m not too much of a fan of skimpy outfits. Apart from my sylvari lady (who is wearing tier 1 cultural armor, which is technically skimpy I guess) all my female toons are more or less fully clothed as much as that is possible. So… I would approve of more options for fully clothed female characters. Not everyone likes the same things.

However, that doesn’t mean that I would want skimpy options taken away. Personally I’m not using them all too often, but I’m fine with them being there. Less customization options are always bad, more are always good, in my opinion.

And that is totally fine, but as I have already stated, the game already has plenty of conservative (read: not skimpy) armor.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I personally don’t feel the connection being showing skin/skimpiness and objectifying people. how much skin you’re showing or are comfortable with showing is ideally the choice of the person and part of their character. If someone feels great being dressed more skimpily then they should be able to do so without being judged.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

As a man, I feel that I am being objectified due to having my right to show skin restricted.

I feel that because I am not allowed to wear revealing clothes within an online game, I am being exploited and used by society to appease their view of what a man should be. This is done by forcing me to wear head-to-toe platemail armour, and therefore satisfying the sick and twisted view that men should be knights in shining armour. I find this view objectifies me, due to reducing me to a mere fantasy object to satisfy women’s imagination.

To ensure our society stays fair and equal, I believe my male characters should have the right to purchase, wear, and flaunt the Lord Faren brand of speedo, feely, and proudly in public. Even in winter. I argue this point because currently, female characters have access to many revealing armour sets such as the Lady Kasmeer brand of underwear, the Sailor Moon/Magical Girl cosplay, which all female light armour characters are given upon character creation, and the T3 Medium Human Cultural Armour Chestplate.

I fight this battle so my character can show their best assets, just as female characters can. Please support the masculine movement to abolish misandry and build a fairer society for all people, regardless of gender.

Wylf.2586

Yeah, my point was more that people can, in fact, dislike skimpy armor without the whole ‘stop objectifying women’ thing. Your post kinda made the argument that people who say that they dislike it are just pretending, that bugged me a bit.

Hence why I added that disliking something doesn’t equal wanting it gone, at least in my case.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

There really aren’t that many female revealing options either. It is mostly on light armored classes. My female guardian doesn’t have many options and god knows I’ve tried just about every combination of armor to get something that looks even slightly less heavy and more casual.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I demand that my male norn be able to wear skirts and/or dresses.

+1 to this thread

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

lordkrall.7241

I’m not saying that this is exactly what you are doing, but it seems that way. I’m also not saying that it is okay to treat women as objects, but this is a fantasy game set in a fictional world occupied by fictional people. They are not real people, and if I want my character’s skin showing then kitten it I will enjoy pretty pixels the game allows. Call me a pervert if you want, I don’t care, but I like the female figure’s aesthetics. It’s just the way I was born. It’s all part of the entertainment factor, and it’s not like our characters partake in sexually suggestive poses or actions.

At least, the game’s armor designs are varied enough that not all the armors are skimpy. There are plenty of ultra-conservative armor skins in the game. As the OP suggested, the game could use more, if anything.

Ah, the good old: “The only reason why people would be against skimpy armor is because it is cool to want to stop objectification of women.” I have been a feminist for over 15 years. It is not really something that magically turned up when it started being “cool”.

Why do there NEED to be skimpy armors? And why is it more okay to want to add more than to want to remove those that are already there? Yes it is fictional. But that doesn’t really change the fact that the norm in the entertainment world seems to be skimpy clothes on females, even though most females doesn’t dress at all like that in the real world. Not the mention in a world where there are murderous creatures and bandits everywhere.

Yes, GW2 is much better than most (most likely due to them having rather many feminists on their teams), so why make it worse? Adding skimpy armors for male is just as bad as adding skimpy armors for females. The difference is that in the case of females it is much more common.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Zera Allimatti.2541

Yeah, my point was more that people can, in fact, dislike skimpy armor without the whole ‘stop objectifying women’ thing. Your post kinda made the argument that people who say that they dislike it are just pretending, that bugged me a bit.

Hence why I added that disliking something doesn’t equal wanting it gone, at least in my case.

I said it that way because there are some people like that, who pretend to be in favor of a trending social issue by simply rage-typing into blogs and forums without actually DOING something to progress they social issue they claim to be for. I myself have been guilty of this in the past, so it’s definitely a thing that happens.

Wylf.2586

Why do there NEED to be skimpy armors? And why is it more okay to want to add more than to want to remove those that are already there?

Because having the choice between skimpy and non skimpy armor is always better than being forced to only use one of the two. Simple. You don’t want it, don’t wear it. More choice is good, less choice is bad. :)

lordkrall.7241

Because having the choice between skimpy and non skimpy armor is always better than being forced to only use one of the two. Simple. You don’t want it, don’t wear it. More choice is good, less choice is bad.

But how far should we drag that?

Should I be allowed to have a completely invisible armor-set (and as such run around completely naked)? Or an armor-set with certain symbols and such?

Armors should make sense for the situation, and in a world with massive murderous beasts and bandits everywhere running around with what is little more than a bikini makes no sense whatsoever.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Zera Allimatti.2541

Adding skimpy armors for male is just as bad as adding skimpy armors for females. The difference is that in the case of females it is much more common.

That’s what makes it gender equality.

Being for gender equality is not the same as being against the objectification of the genders.

Feminism is defined as the empowerment of women. Gender equality is gender equality.

Dinks.2478

Because a world where I can fight an Elementalist who can summon meteors from the sky with my sword and axe is logical and we should wear nothing but heavy plate armor on all races and classes. Remove all customization and colors as well because it is stupid and we should all look like mobile fortresses.

Zera Allimatti.2541

Because having the choice between skimpy and non skimpy armor is always better than being forced to only use one of the two. Simple. You don’t want it, don’t wear it. More choice is good, less choice is bad.

Should I be allowed to have a completely invisible armor-set (and as such run around completely naked)? Or an armor-set with certain symbols and such?

Armors should make sense for the situation, and in a world with massive murderous beasts and bandits everywhere running around with what is little more than a bikini makes no sense whatsoever.

It’s a FANTASY game. Wearing a leaf provides just the same level of protection as full plate armor because it DOES NOT HAVE TO BE REALISTIC. By your logic, all Sylvari should be instantly killed by any form of fire damage because they are plants. I suppose you also want Asura to do less damage overall by default because their smaller stature means that, physically, they can’t swing their weapons with the same amount of force as the larger races.

lordkrall.7241

That’s what makes it gender equality.

Being for gender equality is not the same as being against the objectification of the genders.

Feminism is defined as the empowerment of women. Gender equality is gender equality.

Indeed, and in my eyes, adding MORE objectifying sets does not solve the problem, but rather increases it.

Objectification of the genders have very much to do with gender equality actually.

Actually feminism is all about gender equality. At least if going by the actual correct definition of it.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

lordkrall.7241

It’s a FANTASY game. Wearing a leaf provides just the same level of protection as full plate armor because it DOES NOT HAVE TO BE REALISTIC. By your logic, all Sylvari should be instantly killed by any form of fire damage because they are plants. I suppose you also want Asura to do less damage overall by default because their smaller stature means that, physically, they can’t swing their weapons with the same amount of force as the larger races.

I think you should focus on the word game rather than fantasy.

The things you mention is something that is that way because it has to be in order for the game to work at all.

Being able to dress in more or less nonexistent clothing is in no way or form a requirement for the game to work.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Wylf.2586

The armor makes sense in the context of the world, considering that armors like this have been used since guild wars one shrug As I said, personally I’m not a fan of it, but these armors have been part of the game-world since the beginning.

As for the ‘making sense’ part – eh. Just look at human history, numerous ‘barbarians’ were known for charging into battle while being barely clothed. Sense had little to do with it in that regard, it was more a case of lacking finances (armor is expensive) and general customs – showing your bravery, honoring your gods, that sort of thing.
Add a world in which magic is commonplace to that and I have absolutely no trouble accepting skimpy armor, especially considering that most of those skimpy armor sets are used by magic users. And even the medium leather armor thingies are easily explained by ‘magic protection, woohoo’.

Naked armor or “armor with certain symbols” (I believe I have a good idea what you mean with that) I personally would find inapproprate. The former on grounds of ‘eh, that’s just boring’, the later because those symbols (if you indeed mean the kind I have in mind) are actually banned in certain countries, namely the ones that are most infamous for using them.

It’s perfectly fine not liking skimpy armor. As I said, I’m in the same boat there, more or less. But do we really need to turn this into a crusade?

Zera Allimatti.2541

I think you should focus on the word game rather than fantasy.

The things you mention is something that is that way because it has to be in order for the game to work at all.

Being able to dress in more or less nonexistent clothing is in no way or form a requirement for the game to work.

While you bring up a valid point, the fact remains that sex sells, ArenaNet is a business, and ArenaNet will keep providing options to cater to various people, not just ultra conservatives like yourself. I have every right to enjoy skimpy clothing on people just as you have a right to dislike it.

But you can keep on advocating to remove customization options from the game, I’ll keep pushing back against it, because this is a godkitten stalemate.

And no, feminism is very much defined as the empowerment of women. It just happens to have some similarities to the concept of gender equality, but not entirely.

Gender equality, true gender equality, means that both the good and the bad affects the genders the same. You can’t take only the good with it.

Dinks.2478

The only person objectifying females are the feminists in here who think that women don’t enjoy dressing up as much as the men who enjoy looking at it. A woman is free to dress however they want to in game or in real life. Telling people they cannot dress how they want is saying they’re not competent enough to make their own decisions. Every weight class, race and gender should have options to be as skimpy or as conservative as they want and all the prudes and wanna-be egalitarians can go in the corner and think long and hard about how important their time really is that they’d rather complain about people expressing themselves and playing the game how they want than just play the game how they want and ignore the people they don’t agree with.

@Wylf: The Barbarians use to charge into battle naked because they learned that they were less likely to die from wounds that way. Clothing being stabbed into a stab wound for example led to higher risk of infection. They didn’t understand why at the time but they sure noticed the trend and reacted to it.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I’ve said Yes every time this topic has come up and I say Yes again.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

lordkrall.7241

While you bring up a valid point, the fact remains that sex sells, ArenaNet is a business, and ArenaNet will keep providing options to cater to various people, not just ultra conservatives like yourself. I have every right to enjoy skimpy clothing on people just as you have a right to dislike it.

But you can keep on advocating to remove customization options from the game, I’ll keep pushing back against it, because this is a godkitten stalemate.

And no, feminism is very much defined as the empowerment of women. It just happens to have some similarities to the concept of gender equality, but not entirely.

Gender equality, true gender equality, means that both the good and the bad affects the genders the same. You can’t take only the good with it.

I am very far from ultra conservative. Quite the opposite in-fact (being a feminist and being conservative doesn’t really work all that well together). Feels like you do have rather large issues with people not wanting games adding more objectifying things though.

I am not advocating to remove customization. I am advocating for changing customization to something, in my eyes, better. There are plenty of different armors that can be created without them showing off 75% of the characters body.

Feminism is all about creating equality between the genders, ergo gender equality.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: SuperSpicyCurry.2415

SuperSpicyCurry.2415

I support this! Male and female character should both have plenty of revealing and none revealing armor choices and while GW2 does alot better than other games in that regard it’s far from ideal. Especially with certain armor classes. Most female light armor is very revealing and most male light armor is nearly completely covered. Most medium armor for everyone is completely covered and females only get a few revealing options while males get none. Heavy armor does the best I think but things like Phalanx exist

Zera Allimatti.2541

@Wylf: The Barbarians use to charge into battle naked because they learned that they were less likely to die from wounds that way. Clothing being stabbed into a stab wound for example led to higher risk of infection. They didn’t understand why at the time but they sure noticed the trend and reacted to it.

I do not know if this is true or not, but it’s interesting. I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense. This may or may not be relevant, but I’ve heard that during the American civil war, more deaths were attributed to disease, illness, and exposure to the elements than battle itself.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’m sure they’ll add metal Speedos for every armor weight with the new expansion, so no worries.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’m sure they’ll add metal Speedos for every armor weight with the new expansion, so no worries.

My creditcard is ready.

Attachments:

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

Jesus, not this again…
And by “this” I mean the debate about what does and does not count as “objectifying” someone, wherein most people completely ignore the fact that while a person can choose to dress any way they want, a video game character is subject to the whims of designers and players and therefore cannot choose, which dumps the repsonsibility for the objectification, if it’s happening, on the shoulders of those real human beings who so vehemently deny that they have any responsibility at all.
Long-kitten sentence is long.

Aaand with that out of the way: Heck yes, more armour choices please! Preferably implemented in a way that balances skimpy and non-skimpy choices for everyone, and for god’s sake, please don’t make more stuff like Grasping Dead, where the female version is godawful to look at AND makes no sense, or Sneakthief, where female characters get a nice assassin-esque outfit and the guys get… another trenchcoat.
GW2 is at the top of the list of games that do their armour right(-ish… like I said, Grasping Dead. And also human medium T3 -.-). Apart from some wtf-worthy things, there’s a nice, broad choice of armour available that looks good on all characters. But. For the love of all that is holy. Stop making armours where one version looks nothing like the other. That I have a beef with. Because that’s double standard at its finest. Want a skimpy set? great, just make it skimpy for both genders. Want to make a heavy armour that looks like you’re a tank on two legs? Go for it, but do it for for everyone, and don’t give my female characters boobplate and chainmail g-string just to remind me that, why yes, that character is female, don’t you forget!

Somehwat related: I just wished they’d put Faren’s speedo in the game. Karma skin, gemstore, I don’t care, I want this thing for my warrior^^

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze