Can necro pets please get some attention.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: yerok.5469

yerok.5469

Before the haters start in telling me not to use minions, go post somewhere else. I know MM isn’t the best class in the game but its one of my favorite 80’s and i have them all. Besides it has some good strengths when it comes to farming or CC, and is actually quite a challenging job to play if you do it right.

Since launch Minions have gotten more debuffs than improvements on the minions themselves and the traits related to minions. If we’re such an inferior build why do we always get shafted? Still waiting on a dismiss button and AI improvements but it seems like the community along with the developers want to shy us away from a minion build.

I have never heard of MM being overpowered so why not beef us up a little bit? if they think that will make it to easy i can assure you my war takes 1/10th of the skill to play and has much more of a kick. And if they really didn’t intend for people to play MM replace all of those skills.

Posted by: petespri.6548

petespri.6548

Ai is not a strong point of tho games programming and will likely never be. I would love to see pet based professions and specs doing well, but at two years past release with no noticable changes, don’t count on anything.

Posted by: duckideva.6358

duckideva.6358

Hey, at least they stopped despawning in high populated server zones, so…we got that going for us.

Seriously though, I started a necro at launch, and I really wanted to love the minions, but it’s just about impossible to do. They are, bless their hearts, universally idiotic. They get stuck on architecture. Heck, they get stuck on pebbles, dust motes, and thoughts of the color blue.

They wander off and start fights, and then bring the mobs back to you as they die. They’ve been beaten with the nerf bat so badly it’s almost impossible to raise them from the dead anymore, they’re just too depressed to do anything but stand there and mope.

If minions got any more sad, we would need eyeliner, black nail polish, and a Cure album as components to raise them.

But don’t feel too alone, Minion Master of the Doomed; they nerfed the bejebuz out of our other only useful elite skill too. Yay!

Cruella LaDucki: Have corpses, will travel
Torwynd Trueheart: Here I come to save the day!
NSP – Quak Resident Duchess L’Orange

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Ai is not a strong point of tho games programming and will likely never be. I would love to see pet based professions and specs doing well, but at two years past release with no noticable changes, don’t count on anything.

Even with AI being as dumb as a box of rocks, they still could add a dismiss button, some sort of auto summon feature, and correct the inherent weakness of all pets across tyria no matter the class. It’s no secret that pets are terrible in this game, it’s like it’s 2004 and this is one of the earliest mmo’s when it comes to how pets are done in this title.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

Even with AI being as dumb as a box of rocks, they still could add a dismiss button, some sort of auto summon feature, and correct the inherent weakness of all pets across tyria no matter the class. It’s no secret that pets are terrible in this game, it’s like it’s 2004 and this is one of the earliest mmo’s when it comes to how pets are done in this title.

I think you are being a bit harsh on the devs if only because GW2 is, from what I’ve taken in, very different mechanically than other mmos. There isn’t a whole lot to consider when referencing past mmos for guidance. While I agree that necro pets and AI in general in GW2 is suffering from some significant issues, the challenges the devs face in designing how pets attack in GW2 aren’t quite the same as other mmos. Currently, the big issues as I understand them are that pets die to aoe very quickly, can’t dodge, can’t track a moving target intelligently, and can’t reliably hit a moving target in melee. For those first two issues, I remember it took wow devs years to add “avoidance” for pets. Literally, added in 2009 when the game was around since 2001. Clearly something was keeping them from adding this feature despite similar complaints about pet survival rates. I’m not sure if other games have done something similar or what their rationale was. No doubt, the devs here are pondering the pros and cons of doing something similar as this complaint has come up several times since launch particularly with Rangers. Keep in mind the ramifications are different here because of how combat is designed in GW2, especially for PVP.

As far as position tracking and attacking, pets appear to suffer in these areas largely because of their behaviors and scripting being tied to general mob AI and the disparity between the freedom of movement allowed by players as compared to mobs. I can’t really go into a lot of detail about the difference between how a successful attack is calculated in GW2 versus a traditional tab targeting mmo. There was a thread some time ago where someone talked about how it’s done in better detail than I can. But what I can tell you is that it certainly doesn’t appear simple even for an experienced programmer to create an elegant way for pets to track and hit a moving character reliably in GW2. The same reason your pets can’t hit a moving target is the same reason you can kite a melee mob without getting hit so effortlessly. There could be some “cheating” perhaps to accomplish a fix but even the devs have said that it would be a lot of work to separate the pet AI from the mob AI.

With that said, I’ve always understood, even in GW1, that necro pets are thematically different from Ranger pets and are intended to be under limited control. So things like stowing and recalling from a target, even their intended life span, may not be treated the same as other pets. The fight for better pet AI is a noble one but I fear the solution, if there is one, is still a ways off.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Perhaps instead they are working on adding new animations to my necro minions so that they scratch there “insert body part” whilst trying to count all the butterflies (or mosquito’s) on their three fingers and toes.