Can someone explain these "cap limits" with farming mobs/dungeons ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Thunderstruck.5368

Thunderstruck.5368

I am a casual player (1 toon lvl 51) so I don’t have a tremendous amount of time to research the latest patch but can someone clarify exactly what kind of restrictions are in place ?? I read on another forum that farming one kind of mob for to long can result in a banned account ? Please tell me this is a joke lol also whats the deal with DE’s? You can only do 3 or 4 in a row? Someone please clarify this

Right now I am loving the game, Just exploring and having fun but one of my favorite things to do at endgame (max level) in any MMO is just to put on some music and do some mindless farming, whether it be for mats or Gold its what I enjoy doing.

Jeez , Is A-net really going to ban my account if i want to spend 2 hours when i hit lvl 80 farming a certain mob for a materials ? This sounds like crazy talk, someone please clarify what is going on here ?

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

The stuff about banning accounts for killing one kind of mob are nonsense. Accounts get banned for botting or cheating or breaking the rules.

Doing one thing over and over as quickly as possible for long periods of time will yield diminishing returns. If you just play, enjoy yourself, do all the various content available in each zone…you will never notice an issue. In fact, they often provide experience bonuses through daily achievements or mobs who’ve been in the world a long time… variety is what it’s all about.

ArenaNet wants people to play the game, not game the system, find the loopholes, and just grind the most efficient thing a bazillion times in a row to get everything they want in a short time. other games allow these loopholes (farming and grinding) to pretty much ruin all the long-term goals in the game…people just do what’s most efficient to get the rewards the fastest and then sit around complaining that there’s nothing to do…rather than actually playing the game as intended. ArenaNet is actually taking steps to make it very difficult or at least extremely frustrating to shortcut things.

Relax and enjoy the game play like you are now, and you won’t run into any issues. GW2’s endgame is designed to allow you to continue doing the same stuff you did during the leveling curve…the things you are enjoying doing now you can continue to do at max level. The whole game world will be available due to level scaling, along with all the dungeons, plus WvW or PvP if you like those things, and crafting. Lots to do, and there are plenty of long-term goals to chip away at as you enjoy the game play.

You certainly can kill the same mobs over and over if you just want mindless play sometimes…just don’t expect to continue getting maximum rewards. ArenaNet provides the best rewards to people who wander, explore, and take advantage of the variety of locations/mobs/game play.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Well I just happened a 3rd time onto one of the events in the Metrica starter area and got a whopping 3 karma, some copper and a bit of XP for it.
Roughly speaking about 10 times less then for the 1st run.

So it´s definitely useless now to join up and help people out if you´ve done that part one or two times.
Made me log of for today. Very annoying.

I expected something like this after maybe the 5th farm run, but at 3 this is making the game into a bunch of daily quests.
Just guessing of course that th counter get´s reseted every day, could be much longer for all I know.

Polish > hype

Posted by: kal.4350

kal.4350

1/10 of the reward the third time? This is not antifarm, this is plain ridiculos.
Antifarm would be after the fifth time maybe -20%. Or -5% each time.

Posted by: Ravak.5907

Ravak.5907

If you just play, enjoy yourself, do all the various content available in each zone…you will never notice an issue.

Unless of course…you enjoy farming to be able to able to level your crafting without having to purchase mats from the Trading Post.

The issue is that ArenaNet, by adding diminishing returns..is mandating that people play their game a certain way. For those that want to be able to supply their own mats for crafts, they now cannot (or at least it now takes a lot longer).

Posted by: Khaldar.7486

Khaldar.7486

If you just play, enjoy yourself, do all the various content available in each zone…you will never notice an issue.

Unless of course…you enjoy farming to be able to able to level your crafting without having to purchase mats from the Trading Post.

The issue is that ArenaNet, by adding diminishing returns..is mandating that people play their game a certain way. For those that want to be able to supply their own mats for crafts, they now cannot (or at least it now takes a lot longer).

Of course they want you to play it their way. We should feel privileged that they allow us to log in to “their” game and dictate what we do to have fun. Please don’t forget to use the cash-shop. GG Anet (D3 clone)!

Posted by: TwistedWarrior.8613

TwistedWarrior.8613

In my opinion ArenaNet ruined the potential of this game with the introduction of diminishing returns, caps and then upping the difficulty of dungeon NPC’s substantialy. Dying then respawning rinse/repeat until you’re PuG manages to whittle the trash down so you can move on and do it again is a garbage system – period! I am really disappointed but relieved that I bought a digital copy instead. So all might not be lost for me just yet! I wasn’t that fortunate with Diablo III.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

ANet isn’t banning blatant bots that get reported repeatedly, they surely aren’t going to ban legit players just for killing mobs.

Posted by: Fugly.5287

Fugly.5287

Just one more in a very long list of changes since launch that directly push players into buying gold (via gems obviously).

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

Guys, guys, Anet are not to blame for this. The people to blame are a) botters and b) players who look for shortcuts and loopholes (i.e. try to “game the system”).

If neither of these types of characters existed, people who just wanted to get into a trance via farming could happily do so. But their experience has been spoiled by a) and b) and the necessity of Anet to stop botters and plug loopholes.

It’s rather like the law: if some people weren’t kittens, there would be no need for such a thing as law. Most people actually get on pretty well and wouldn’t need it. It’s the kittens and free riders who (unfortunately) create the necessity for laws.

Same again for MMOs – there’s a whole bunch of possibilities for MMO gameplay (especially in the sandbox area) that can’t be realized, because there just are some people who are kittens and free riders who, if left to their own devices, would kitten it up for everyone.

(edited by gurugeorge.9857)

Posted by: Xericor.9103

Xericor.9103

I posted a similar thread early… I was playing in the same area for 3hrs, doing the same DE’s (all be it, several of them) and suffered ZERO penalties

www.auroraglade.eu – Community Site for Aurora Glade!

Posted by: Hyral.4168

Hyral.4168

Yeah I wish someone actually would clarify it, not just tout some propaganda or condemn A-Net as authoritarian despots. Their wiki isn’t turning up anything about it, but if it’s as described in this thread, I might have to reconsider the game. I like ANet and GW2 especially, but I’m not going to pay for other players’ avarice.

Posted by: Xericor.9103

Xericor.9103

I think tommorow, when I do my dailies, I will spend the time doing DE’s like I normally do and take a few screenshots. I will make sure to have the clock displayed in game to monitor time taken.

So far I am pretty sure, at level 58, that I havent/dont suffer from these penalties. Maybe is someone level 80 wants to do the same thing, we can compared actual drop off rates in terms of %

www.auroraglade.eu – Community Site for Aurora Glade!

Posted by: korgoth.5924

korgoth.5924

wow i think thats bull.. personally i hate buying stuff of any trader in a mmo.. i usually see the game while leveling.. and after 80 do some content.. then i realize i am screwed with out a pile of gold to buy the best stuff.. as usual …

then i get to work i usually kill one type of mob for ages to see what drop possibilitys are.. then move on to another

there are other ways of dealing with botters and cheats… they need to look into them

No man is an island, but a bunch of dead bodies make a pretty good raft.

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

There isnt any diminishing returns on gathering skills. Or on loot from random world mobs.

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

The DE anti-farming system is completely broken. It gives you diminishing returns randomly, often on the second event you’ve done (not repeated, I’m talking about doing two separate events in a row).

The loot anti-farming system also only affects legitimate players, not bots because bots are using speedhacking and teleporting to circumvent them entirely.

These DR systems need to be removed immediately for the long term health of the game, before players start getting alienated for not getting anything out of their play time.

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

Been playing all day on Gandara, even tested this out by sitting in Lone Point waiting for the event to come around again.

4x runs, same rewards every time. Let’s see your screenshots folks, because I’m calling hyperbole bullkitten.

Posted by: Jnaathra.6549

Jnaathra.6549

Been playing all day on Gandara, even tested this out by sitting in Lone Point waiting for the event to come around again.

4x runs, same rewards every time. Let’s see your screenshots folks, because I’m calling hyperbole bullkitten.

Here is one from another post.

Attachments:

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

…wow. That’s ridiculous.

ChairGraveyard.2967

@Twaddlefish, like I said, it’s broken. It doesn’t always do this, but plenty of people are experiencing it, myself included.

Edit: Also, it seems like it doesn’t penalize doing one event over and over, but does penalize doing different events (which makes the assertion that these systems are doing anything to deter botting even more ridiculous than they already were). I haven’t tested that fully yet, but others have reported the same, so if you were repeating one event that’s probably why you didn’t see it. If not, then it’s probably just because it doesn’t reliably work the same way for everyone.

(edited by ChairGraveyard.2967)

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

Apparently the changes made to diminishing returns/speed clears are not working as intended. Could be all this fuss will be for nothing, once they get it working the way they really want it to.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Dungeon-Updates/page/16#post190414

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

I haven’t once had diminishing returns on a DE in over 270 hours of time played, even in areas where there are a couple that repeat very often. I’m still watching for it, but I have never once experienced it. So, at this point, I call shenanigans on those claiming this.

ChairGraveyard.2967

@Fiontar, proof has already been posted numerous times. And it has already been established that not everyone experiences the same results with this system. It is broken and buggy as heck. So you not experiencing it means precisely nothing.

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Just as a note for everybody, Robert Hrouda posted over in another thread about the diminishing returns system:

The “diminished returns anti-speed clear tech” that went in last patch is NOT functioning as intended. It is currently bugged. We’re working on it, and will have a solution as soon as possible.