Can't decide between necro and mesmer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheOpethian.4329

TheOpethian.4329

So I bought this game a few weeks back and rolled a thief but found him to be underpowered and the mechanics were a bit hard or I just didn’t know how to play him correctly lol so I’ve decided to roll another class but I cannot seem to decide between necromancer and mesmer since both seemed pretty kitten to me :P opinions ?

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

mesmer is hard to master, but does hell of a lot of damage if done right.
necromancer does close to no damage no matter how traited or geared, so the best thing with it is to go for a healing well build.
So then do you want to be a hard hitter that will take a lot of damage if hit, or do you want to do close to no damage, but be able to survive a lot?

Edit: neither of those are easy classes. Warrior and Guardian would be the easiest to play really. However each class has different fun to play with mechanics, so try both of them out, I suppose?

Posted by: TheOpethian.4329

TheOpethian.4329

necromancer does close to no damage no matter how traited or geared, so the best thing with it is to go for a healing well build.
So then do you want to be a hard hitter that will take a lot of damage if hit, or do you want to do close to no damage, but be able to survive a lot?

Edit: neither of those are easy classes. Warrior and Guardian would be the easiest to play really. However each class has different fun to play with mechanics, so try both of them out, I suppose?

What I want is a hard class ^^ something that needs thought and isn’t all hack and slash but since I like to be the damage dealer I’ll go with mesmer and try out my friend’s level 80 necro and see how it goes.

Posted by: dandamanno.4136

dandamanno.4136

Mesmer is probably a more well rounded profession that can easily contribute to all areas of the game. It’s lots of fun.

Necromancer isn’t as bad as other say, but having both a Necro and Mesmer at 80 I can say that for me the necro just seems less capable in many areas, like spike damage, useful/cool utilities, escapability (in WvW in particular), solo roaming in WvW, and build variety.

I like my necro in group WvW a lot, but everything else…not so much.

Also know that the Mesmer doesn’t become great until at least past level 40 or so, so don’t judge it in the first few levels because it is slow to get going.

Posted by: bewhatever.2390

bewhatever.2390

I find my 80 Necro my favorite, not my 80 Mesmer. Generally play in open world / dungeons / fractals, in friendly groups, not in the hypercompetitive space.

Perhaps this means I never mastered the Mesmer abilities

…or perhaps after playing casters in 7 other MMOs, back to my Valewalker in DAoC, I like having a caster who can flip to dagger/dagger for melee. Agreed the single target caster damage isn’t very high, but if I can get a stack of wells under where the melee is taking place it can speed the battle immensely…which is really what mesmers do as well.

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

Mesmer is a straight up better class. More damage, more utility, and fairly even in terms of survivability (necro is better against unavoidable chip damage, mesmer is better against stuff that you can react to). I’d say both of them are about average in terms of difficulty to play. More complex than a warrior/guardian, but not as much as an engineer/elementalist. I enjoy my 80 necro more than my 80 mesmer though, even if it isn’t as good.

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Mesmers are better minion bombers than Necromancers for some reason.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

Mesmer.

Enjoy.

Posted by: Voodoo.1709

Voodoo.1709

Mirtas grasp of the necromancer profession has been tainted by reading these forums too much. Necromancers are viable burst and sustained damage dealers IF specced and geared properly. While I do admit at the current state of the game mesmers are more well rounded for all aspects of the game and can be fun. Do not discount necromancers because of the ignorance on these forums. Head to the necro forums and look at the posts from nemesis as he has a very solid grasp of the necro profession.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Mirtas grasp of the necromancer profession has been tainted by reading these forums too much. Necromancers are viable burst and sustained damage dealers IF specced and geared properly. While I do admit at the current state of the game mesmers are more well rounded for all aspects of the game and can be fun. Do not discount necromancers because of the ignorance on these forums. Head to the necro forums and look at the posts from nemesis as he has a very solid grasp of the necro profession.

okay, please list your max burst damage?

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

toss a coin or play both or create both, travel to the mists and try them out and then decide.

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

Posted by: melchapp.5917

melchapp.5917

My first character was a Mesmer, my second a Necro.
I’m approaching 80 with the Necro, don’t even have that Mesmer anymore. : )

I’ve found Mesmer’s can be really fun, especially in PvP, but I find I’m able to take more damage and larger groups with the Necro.

Have fun!