Can't farm gold in other map?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Oswaldzl.3652

Oswaldzl.3652

it seems the only maps people farm to be silverwates and cursed shores at the moment.. really hoped there are more varieties to farm at.. like the Heart of thorns maps and new living story 4 new maps.. it seems hot maps give not much gold as compared to say silverwastes.. i can’t find a thread so i post here

Posted by: voidvector.2780

voidvector.2780

Not every farm needs to be for gold.

• Lake Doric has leather farm, whose effectiveness would fluctuate based on leather prices.
  • Bitterfrost Frontier has winterberry farm for ascended trinkets.

HoT maps revolve around meta, so they are not repeatable enough for farms, but people do do them when the meta is up.

(edited by voidvector.2780)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you can’t find another place to farm, you haven’t been trying hard enough.

That said, each farm’s rate-per-hour depends on a number of factors. I can get more gold per hour out of HoT maps because I can play them for longer than an hour. For me, Silverwastes is good for an hour’s worth of gold and then I’m burned out on the game, giving me far less income over time.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Like Illconceived said, different maps have different burnout curves. It only takes me 15-20 minutes to burn out on the four original HoT maps. But, I’ve played SW for hours on occasion.

What I do to keep things interesting is I send new characters into maps. I usually use dailies to “tell” me where to go, but once I get there, I can do quite a bit of mapping. Mapping doesn’t generate a lot of gold, but you do get a lot of materials, and they’re valuable, too.

My counsel is to pick places you like to play, and play there until just before you get bored. Don’t cross that line, though, or you’ll end up with a growing list of “boring” maps.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Let see ….

Bitterfrost Frontier if I need some berries and want to get some common materials through the chests.

Do events in any of the HoT maps for ectos though I prefer VB if it is day time.

Ember Bay if I need more karma.

Various core map depending on what I want to gather.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Pffft farm? If it’s for gold my opinion would be “not playing the game right”. Now if its for certain mats for collections etc I would say “this is what Map Rewards is for and is the reason we can go back to MANY MANY maps to farm”.

Sure the general argument “but you can farm gold instead of mats/what you need and just buy them” could be used here but my counter to this is then you have people coming to the forums with such complaints as “this game is boring and just a grind as all we have to do is farm, farm, farm, grind, grind, grind and there is only 1-2 maps worth doing this on”.

It’s a mentality that people place on themselves which could ultimately kill or make the game less fun for them – sheeple, that’s all I can say. :P

Now if you are needing gold then yes by all means do what you can to make it. But does this mean that you have to do the best method which will have you soon bored/burnt out of the game?

You could instead like, you know, play various game methods for fun which also are not too bad at making cash while also working on other goals in a passive way. Some examples:

1 – Fractals – not too bad for cash while also working on achievements, building up your agony and exploring new areas/stories while doing so.

2 – PvP – Ideally during the Seasons as the gold is a lot easier to come by. Again besides the gold other reasons could be achievements besides that what else fun/challenge.

3 – WvW – similar to PvP fun/achievements.

4 – Achievements in general, especially collections. Doing this will send you to other maps which will have you doing events/achievements etc.

That’s a few off the top of my head and I am sure there are many more.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)