Can't get a group for fractals anymore.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Desamos.1836

Desamos.1836

Not even on gw2lfg.com. Is everyone avoiding fractals? I want to get my fractal sword but I can’t even progress through the levels since it’s so dang difficult to find a group.

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

It’s harder to PuG them by a good margin now.

1. Bosses got stronger
2. Tricks got removed
3. People keep joining fractals without the AR that is absolutely essential for some bosses

It’s generally not worth the hassle to roll with anyone who isnt a guildy.

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Remember fractal level is now limited by the highest member rather than the lowest, so it should be easier to find a group.

Also, you can join groups in progress.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

Posted by: applekwisp.2139

applekwisp.2139

its hard to tell now if people are joining fractals that they aren’t capable of doing (experience or necessary AR)

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

I dont PUG any dungeons because of magic find gear. You can never be sure who is in it and is thus leeching off all your hard work. Thus, I make sure to never do dungeons in PUGs. Not that I do any PvE really anymore. And that is partly, again, due to MF gear.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

Posted by: Desamos.1836

Desamos.1836

ya I feel ya apple

Posted by: Blueshield.6291

Blueshield.6291

A big problem that I’ve had with PUGs since the 28 Jan patch is people joining Fractal runs they are definitely not ready for. I’ve only done Fractal Daily runs so far (28 Jan and 29 Jan), but both times someone has joined the group who clearly had 0 AR. Fortunately in both cases it was only one member out of five, but it’s quite a large hassle to have to carry a player who shouldn’t be there in the first place.

Based on the responses so far, it seems like this is a fairly widespread problem.

While the change in level mechanic is fantastic for guild-only or static groups – especially for leveling alts up to where your mains are – it’s devastating for PUGs. It was bad enough to have people who managed to get to higher-tier fractals with inadequate AR; now you’ve got people who never made it there at all coming along for the ride.

Posted by: Xenth.2408

Xenth.2408

Even if you get groups and get up there, good luck with fractal weapons. Maybe beyond 30 daily there’s a better chance. But I’ve done 26/30 dailies for a long time…. long enough that I had the fractal frequenter done almost a month ago (requires 500 fractals). I’ve gotten 2 skins total – focus and scepter.

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

So if I’m not sure what AR is I probably shouldn’t be running Fractals, right? Rats.

Blueshield.6291

So if I’m not sure what AR is I probably shouldn’t be running Fractals, right? Rats.

Running Fractals at all with no AR is no problem – the previous system gave you a minimum of nine successful runs in which to obtain AR gear before Agony comes into play. The problem is people with little to no experience running Fractals suddenly jumping into the 10+ bracket.

Posted by: ChaK.3254

ChaK.3254

AR is agony resistance.

Don’t go over 19 is you don’t want to get killed in a blink of an eye.

You could still did 10-16 quite easily without, but you’ll have to learn how it works on bosses.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

They should have made it so it displays everyones fractal level because many players are trying to do the higher levels when they don’t have any experience or AR

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

I dont PUG any dungeons because of magic find gear. You can never be sure who is in it and is thus leeching off all your hard work. Thus, I make sure to never do dungeons in PUGs. Not that I do any PvE really anymore. And that is partly, again, due to MF gear.

I know, right? And what about all those with sub-par PCs, bad connections, build and gear I don’t approve of, classes I find weak, people with less than 2000 hours online. All those noobs ruining dungeons, shame on them. They should just go to their noob corner and quit gaming in general, because they are just too noob to be allowed online. The two of us should start a petition to have them banned!

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

People will think you are serious and you will have a list of people who would actually do this.

I know, right? And what about all those with sub-par PCs, bad connections, build and gear I don’t approve of, classes I find weak, people with less than 2000 hours online. All those noobs ruining dungeons, shame on them. They should just go to their noob corner and quit gaming in general, because they are just too noob to be allowed online. The two of us should start a petition to have them banned!

Posted by: Flawliss.1890

Flawliss.1890

To me the issue of Fractal groups are many fold. My list:

Fractal levels. Higher lvl, better loot (generally)
Lack of LFG tool, Que, anything simple to connect to others of the same fractal lvl with eachother.
Agony compunds the issue thus giving folks now 2 numbers to battle against. (FOTM lvl and Agony)
MF. Thus never quite knowing if player X is even able to push through a lack of agony because they may already be lacking in combat stats.

There are a few other issues but are less focused on Fractals (From my POV, so i’ll pass on them for now. I wouldn’t be helpful if i didn’t add some possible solutions…

Firstly. For a “Casually” aimed game. You would think we would have a LFG/LFD que tool. Especially since Fractals seem like such perfect fit for it.

Que up. The tool checks your Fractal lvl, finds 4 others for the same. Want to set a lower lvl Fractal then your cap? have a imput for Frac LVL you want.
This helps in a couple ways. Finds more people for the Frac lvl your looking for. Helps those without Agony to run a higher fractal from randomly Joining. But lets Pre-made groups take whomever they want.

As far as MF. I’m not a fan of the mechanic in the first place, for full disclosure, But if they must have it, have it Party wide. Either highest gives that bonus to everyone, Or let everyone’s MF add up for every member.

Myself, i’d rather see it gone.

“Skritt, I’m hit!”

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

You are failing to make the distinction around your examples. MF is a conscious choice to increase your risk (gimp yourself) in order to realize the possibility of greater reward. It’s fine single-player but doesn’t work in groups as when you choose to gimp yourself you also gimp the group. The salt in the wound is that though you contribute less to the group, you are then rewarded more for contributing less. It’s not a technical issue; it’s a question of human values. Some players hold a higher standard for themselves and would like to play with people who share those values.

Posted by: Gisei.5749

Gisei.5749

I don’t understand why someone would join a high level Fractal without AR. To those of you who are having this issue, are you specifying a minimal AR when LFG? And people with less are still joining?

If so, then I see this as an issue.

If no AR is specified upon recruiting, then perhaps one should try that.

Then there is always the option of joining a few large guilds and using them to find groups.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

If the grinding grounds are becoming less populated it could also indicate that Anet is having success in distributing the treadmills throughout the game. Once there is a gear grind treadmill located close to where players naturally play I wouldn’t expect to see them all congregate around one treadmill.

Blueshield.6291

I don’t understand why someone would join a high level Fractal without AR. To those of you who are having this issue, are you specifying a minimal AR when LFG? And people with less are still joining?

Yes. Admittedly, I could have asked them to link their gear as proof, but I really don’t want to start going down that route. I had hoped that the honor system would suffice.

So yes, for the time being my guild is limiting ourselves to purely in-house Fractal runs, where there are no unknown quantities. Assuming that others are doing the same, its unsurprising that PUGs would be harder to form now.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

OP, what level group are you looking for?

I have had no problems finding a group (within 30 seconds) for level 12 and 14.

With the changes there is absolutely no reason to ever do an odd level fractal. Don’t bother looking for odd level groups because it is just a waste of time, always look for even level groups. Your progress should look something like: 2,2,4,4,6,6,8,8,10,10…. You could do 2,4,6,8,10 but then your reward level will fall way below the level you are doing and you won’t have enough experience so I recommend against it.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Honestly, I’m surprised they didnt stage the levels.

1-9
10-19
20-29
30-39

That would mean easier grouping options and still no newcomers in fractal 10 and above.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Then there is always the option of joining a few large guilds and using them to find groups.

There is no reason to. If you join a difficulty level 20 fractal when you’re only level 1, you’ll get all the difficulty but you still only get level 1 rewards.

The changes are new. It may take some time for people to realize they’re not doing themselves any favors by going to higher levels than they can handle.

Also, if somebody obviously does not have AR gear, you can ask them to leave (and I guess kick them if they refuse – but ask politely first) and replace them with somebody else.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

(edited by Nabrok.9023)

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

You are failing to make the distinction around your examples. MF is a conscious choice to increase your risk (gimp yourself) in order to realize the possibility of greater reward. It’s fine single-player but doesn’t work in groups as when you choose to gimp yourself you also gimp the group. The salt in the wound is that though you contribute less to the group, you are then rewarded more for contributing less. It’s not a technical issue; it’s a question of human values. Some players hold a higher standard for themselves and would like to play with people who share those values.

Precisely. You get rewarded extra for helping the group less. Goes against everything Anet stands for.

Magic find in a dungeon/fractal SHOULD equal out. So if 1 person has 100% magic find and all other 4 have 0% magic find then everyone (including that person in mf gear) should get 20% magic find (100 divided by 5 = 20).

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

Posted by: Nirvana.8659

Nirvana.8659

I never done any doungeon till this game started (yeah,montly is a dream for who like me doesn’t like PvE).
But reading some of the comments (here as in other istances discussion) , make me recall some of my Aion days when the LFG was spammed with “lfm BT hm LINK GEAR to apply” …lol…
Hope the PvE of this game won’t go that way with the idea that PuG apply to hight levels without AR.

I apologize for my english.
Engineer : Charliengine
Engineer : Brother Thompson

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

Precisely. You get rewarded extra for helping the group less. Goes against everything Anet stands for.

Magic find in a dungeon/fractal SHOULD equal out. So if 1 person has 100% magic find and all other 4 have 0% magic find then everyone (including that person in mf gear) should get 20% magic find (100 divided by 5 = 20).

Plus, MF users kick puppies and steal babies from dingoes so they can eat them first.
-rolls eyes-

Why should a skilled player who can contribute significantly to a group get less reward because the rest of the group is too cheap or not skilled enough to be using MF gear themselves?

Oh, and bad players or players in over their head…they come in all varieties, not just MF gear. You don’t need to inspect their gear to know they are dragging down the group and potentially making things impossible to complete.

This is true of all fractal groups, btw. If you get a player with no fractal experience or no agony resistance in your level 30 group, you’ll know. Ask them to leave, and if they don’t, kick them. Easy enough problem to solve.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

i dunno if its impossible but i keep on getting garbage groups that don’t even know wtf agony is. Yesterday i got 3 people AT LEVEL 30 fractals that had 0-5AR (one of them didn’t even knew agony was in this game). That kitten me the **** off… This was a really bad idea, anet, really bad. At least let us see what’s people AR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Coffeebot.3921

Coffeebot.3921

Plus, MF users kick puppies and steal babies from dingoes so they can eat them first.
-rolls eyes-

Why should a skilled player who can contribute significantly to a group get less reward because the rest of the group is too cheap or not skilled enough to be using MF gear themselves?

Oh, and bad players or players in over their head…they come in all varieties, not just MF gear. You don’t need to inspect their gear to know they are dragging down the group and potentially making things impossible to complete.

This is true of all fractal groups, btw. If you get a player with no fractal experience or no agony resistance in your level 30 group, you’ll know. Ask them to leave, and if they don’t, kick them. Easy enough problem to solve.

The baby reference will be lost on most of the people here.
As far as fractals are concerned, I think it’s a case of people assuming that higher level = better loot, as in level 9 dude goes into level 40 fractal they will be rewarded by level 40 loot (including rings etc.).

Essentially it’s a misconception that higher = better without knowing what the requirements for higher levels are.

Fornicate like you’ve never fornicated before.
I am anti-censorship, for it doesn’t make sense to pander to a minority.

Blueshield.6291

As far as fractals are concerned, I think it’s a case of people assuming that higher level = better loot, as in level 9 dude goes into level 40 fractal they will be rewarded by level 40 loot (including rings etc.).

Essentially it’s a misconception that higher = better without knowing what the requirements for higher levels are.

In other words, it’s a problem of not having read/comprehended the patch notes?

That makes a lot of sense, but unfortunately the question then becomes what the heck can we (as players) or ANet do about it? They already announced how the new system would work in detail prior to the patch and linked the patch notes to the launcher.

Posted by: Coffeebot.3921

Coffeebot.3921

That makes a lot of sense, but unfortunately the question then becomes what the heck can we (as players) or ANet do about it? They already announced how the new system would work in detail prior to the patch and linked the patch notes to the launcher.

Your comment about reading/comprehension is actually valid here, many people don’t read patch notes nor do they “listen” to what the devs are saying.
It would be preferable if ANet made a system that basically said the minimum amount of AR needed for a certain level of fractals, or at the very least allow people to see your AR if and only if it were below the required minimum level.

Fornicate like you’ve never fornicated before.
I am anti-censorship, for it doesn’t make sense to pander to a minority.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

To be honest, I am all for justice and human values, but don’t mind people using Magic Find gear (and no, I don’t use it myself). I don’t agree that one standard must be “higher” (more fair, just, etc.) than the other. In fact, many people (not necessarily you) that complain about MF do so not because of “greater values”, but rather the opposite-they want their teammates to have “optimal” stats (a subjective, and often misguided elitist value) so they can finish things “faster” to fulfill their own agendas, therefore, there COULD be selfishness in both cases, none being better than the other.

As well, as not everyone that runs MF is a “selfish effer” at heart-you believing that he/she is doesn’t make it true. I totally understand the "selfish MF in groups " argument, but since I don’t care when people use it and I do hate selfishness in real life, I wonder if it’s really a valid excuse to hate on MF. There must be players that are just hoping for better drops, and bear no ill will towards party members (and I assume, a number of such players that play well enough so the lacking stats don’t make much-if any-difference, no matter how supposedly “gimped” they are.)

These arguments also extends to other sets that don’t favor whatever a false meta-game appears to be. If people were to accept that Berserker’s is “the best gear”, then anyone not running it may be deemed by the elites as someone who’s being selfish (for instance, favoring his own safety with toughness rather than helping “kills things faster”) or “slowing” his/her team down. Since I am open minded enough (another good value, BTW) to accept any gear as viable (Magi’s, Knight’s, Giver’s, etc.) and would never accept the “Berserker’s or you are gimping yourself” way of thinking, I must also give people the benefit of the doubt with Magic Find gear, assuming they know what they are doing rather than judging him/her as selfish without knowing him/her.

I did not mean to offend you, but did find his sarcasm funny, because indeed many MF arguments-though surely not all-boil down to elitism, and not a true “quest” for “justice” and “better” human values. In any case, I am not saying you are that type of player, for you seem to be a reasonable individual.

Blueshield.6291

Your comment about reading/comprehension is actually valid here, many people don’t read patch notes nor do they “listen” to what the devs are saying.
It would be preferable if ANet made a system that basically said the minimum amount of AR needed for a certain level of fractals, or at the very least allow people to see your AR if and only if it were below the required minimum level.

An in-game posting of minimum/recommended AR for given Fractal levels makes sense as a solution to this. I doubt it would solve the problem of people deliberately shooting for higher Fractal runs, though.

Personally, I feel that any form of gear inspection (even if currently limited to AR) is too dangerous. If we start going down that road, the critical mass of demands for full gear inspection might triumph. Soon it goes from just checking AR to checking for Magic Find, to applying personal conceptions about “correct” statistics to other classes (That guardian isn’t statted for healing power? Kick.).

Another possible solution would be to display on the entry screen the highest Fractal levels unlocked for each character. This is the least invasive “inspection” method, since it’s information that we previously had access to by proxy.

Posted by: Nibiru.1423

Nibiru.1423

They should have made it so it displays everyones fractal level because many players are trying to do the higher levels when they don’t have any experience or AR

They should of made it display both fractal lvl and AR.

To be honest I’ve had no problem finding groups for 26 and 30 daily’s

Magic Find + Common Sense + Consideration = Happy Party + Nice Loot

(edited by Nibiru.1423)

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

Remember fractal level is now limited by the highest member rather than the lowest, so it should be easier to find a group.

Also, you can join groups in progress.

And yet, people are finding it more difficult to get a group together.

Posted by: BlackPaw.5948

BlackPaw.5948

ppl can always lie to get in group.
Once you get in, you get in and hold the group back.

The actual fractal lvl and AR should definitely be shown to everyone. If they agree to have low AR to join in, then there is no excuse later on that those player may not so well perform.

(edited by BlackPaw.5948)

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

ppl can always lie to get in group.
Once you get in, you get in and hold the group back.

Yes well to hear some, they’re entitled to lie and they’re entitled to impinge upon the rest of the group.

You would think the group was formed for the sole benefit of these anti-inspectors.

Or that they’re denied the ability to form their own groups.

Posted by: Aldracity.9463

Aldracity.9463

I haven’t done Fractals past Lv2, but from what I can tell, Agony is a gear check. Granted, Agony is obtained through doing Fractals, and in theory you’re learning the mechanics anyways so you can progress to the higher levels, but it just rubs me the wrong way regardless since it seems to be the only gear check in the game.