Can't global block non-friends is a problem

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

It is a huge problem that we cannot block whispers and mail from everyone who isn’t added as a friend. not just because of spam, but because of unwanted whispers.

blocking is not an option, because as soon as they try to message you and see they’re blocked, they use alternate accounts and friends to message and mail you as well

and invisible status does not prevent mail. please take note from recent games that only allow private messaging from mutually-added friends.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

They can (non-reciprically) friend you and see if you’re on and where, as well. This has been an issue with cases of stalking in the past.

Anet should really do something about this system. Until they make significant changes for privacy, all you can do is report the instigator and any cronies who send harrassing mails or engage in harrassing behavior. Take screenshots and video if applicable.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It is a huge problem that we cannot block whispers and mail from everyone who isn’t added as a friend. not just because of spam, but because of unwanted whispers.

blocking is not an option, because as soon as they try to message you and see they’re blocked, they use alternate accounts and friends to message and mail you as well

and invisible status does not prevent mail. please take note from recent games that only allow private messaging from mutually-added friends.

I have mixed feelings about the level of blocking suggested here. I understand some people want to avoid unwanted attention from specific individuals and there aren’t good tools for dealing with that.

However, it’s an MMO. Interacting with the masses is a feature, not a fault. Lots of people I’ve met are through folks asking questions in whispers. Veterans (some, anyhow) like to send stuff to newbies, to help them get started. I don’t know that it should be easy to opt out of the community.

I’m glad I’m not the person at ANet who has to decide.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

agrees with op there should be a far more better way to global block as well as the same

for e-mails too . not sure how many you can put on the blocked list .but can say it does

need more improvements . and the same goes for e-mails too. you should just have

that right to fully block spammers and people who bother you in the game. that is like

the following tab on the list to me them people are stalking!! and need to be removed

from the game fully . them people always hit my blocked list . i do hope anet steps up

to the plate on this and improves this but .truth be told we know they will not do that

at all

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

We have tried getting this for years now, they really don’t care sorry to say. It’s not worth their time or effort…..

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I have mixed feelings about the level of blocking suggested here. I understand some people want to avoid unwanted attention from specific individuals and there aren’t good tools for dealing with that.

However, it’s an MMO. Interacting with the masses is a feature, not a fault. Lots of people I’ve met are through folks asking questions in whispers. Veterans (some, anyhow) like to send stuff to newbies, to help them get started. I don’t know that it should be easy to opt out of the community.

I’m glad I’m not the person at ANet who has to decide.

You are not opting out of the community. You still see chat from people nearby you and in map chat. There is a difference to having some privacy and going totally deaf/mute/ignorant.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Open your friends tab, select appear off line. Job done.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Cyprien.4208

Cyprien.4208

I don’t see privacy as such a big deal. Yes, It could be improved however unless your in the same guild they only know which map you’re on and don’t know the location even than you may be in a different instants than them.

If you are being harassed the best action you have is to block the person and than report them. It would be nice to have an feature to set where location only shows to people who accepted each other as friends and guilds but I however don’t see Anet ever doing this.