Can't mail items to yourself?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nathiest.5413

Nathiest.5413

Why can’t I mail items to my alts?

Am I missing something, how else do we share items with our alts?

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

Bank.
Every city has one and every crafting station serves as one.

Posted by: Nathiest.5413

Nathiest.5413

Such a needless restriction. awe-well.

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

Both you and gemmethegepgun are right.

He’s right on the fact that you can just use your bank, and you are right that it just seems such an odd restriction to not mail yourself. I’m really curious as to why it is not allowed. But I wouldn’t expect a response from an Anet employee. At least not one that truly explains why.

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

He’s right on the fact that you can just use your bank, and you are right that it just seems such an odd restriction to not mail yourself. I’m really curious as to why it is not allowed. But I wouldn’t expect a response from an Anet employee. At least not one that truly explains why.

The reason is that you could store items in mails to your alts, circumventing your bank limit, which can be increased by spending gems = money.

So it makes perfect sense.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

People who have lots of money use the TP. There is no limit to what you can put in, just put at a price no one will pay. I am sure that there are people with tens of thousands of items that are stored this way.

The reason is that you could store items in mails to your alts, circumventing your bank limit, which can be increased by spending gems = money.

So it makes perfect sense.

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

It would mean you have a free bank anywhere you go-just send the item to yourself and pick it back up whenever you need it again

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

People who have lots of money use the TP. There is no limit to what you can put in, just put at a price no one will pay. I am sure that there are people with tens of thousands of items that are stored this way.

This. It’s a ridiculous restriction. The trick is to list your stuff at a high, but not ridiculously high, price. You win either way.

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: Shonie.5297

Shonie.5297

It could be a safeguard against people who typo a lot as well.
Imagine all the complaining from people who typed out a name wrong, or make a typo and send the item. Then putting in tickets to try and get the item back. Would be a big hassle. It’s basically a safeguard against yourself

~Tarnished Coast~

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Using the TP to store stuff COSTS you money in listing fees, mailing items to yourself would not. TBH there is NO need to mail items to yourself, why would you need to when the bank serves the purpose?

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Mailing yourself makes mail an additional free storage vehicle. Storage restrictions are in the game for a reason. Excessive hording isn’t good for the economy.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

Mailing yourself makes mail an additional free storage vehicle. Storage restrictions are in the game for a reason. Excessive hording isn’t good for the economy.

and this game needs to make an income and thay make a good way to buy extra stuff for your char thats not a power upgrade

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Many games that do allow you to mail yourself charge for sending mail. Mail servers would be continually tied up with people using mail as bank storage. I do it with my wife anyway. I’m in a dungeon I run out of room, I mail her stuff and she hits return to sender when the dungeon is done.

There are, however, several items in the cash shop that would suffer if people could just mail themselves stuff, including the bank consumable and storage space. For a game without a monthly fee, money has to be made somehow. Hence the restriction.

This isn’t like a big deal thing. Either use gold or cash to buy some merchants or remote bank access and support the game. I have a bunch of them I’ve gotten from zone completions, dailys and black lion chests anyway, for free.

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

There are, however, several items in the cash shop that would suffer if people could just mail themselves stuff, including the bank consumable and storage space. For a game without a monthly fee, money has to be made somehow. Hence the restriction.

Wrong. Monthly fees were only needed like 10+ years ago when bandwidth and storage actually cost a considerable amount to buy and run. Companies just kept the fees because people were used to them and didn’t know why they were needed, so it’s basically a free money scam at this point. WoW’s upkeep and development costs are paid entirely by box sales. Just because other companies are bad doesn’t give Anet an excuse to be too.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Wrong. Monthly fees were only needed like 10+ years ago when bandwidth and storage actually cost a considerable amount to buy and run. Companies just kept the fees because people were used to them and didn’t know why they were needed, so it’s basically a free money scam at this point. WoW’s upkeep and development costs are paid entirely by box sales. Just because other companies are bad doesn’t give Anet an excuse to be too.

Saying something is wrong doesn’t make it wrong. Monthly fees are needed to keep content flowing. Do you know how many people are employed at Anet to fix bugs and create new content? There are over 270 people that have to be paid weekly.

In non MMO games, you have a game that’s made, and then a small support team that sits behind, because the game is done. When you play a racing game, a fighting game, its’ done. Unless there’s DLC content, which people make money on. I bought Tombraider when it came out and I played it for a few weeks and moved onto another game.

MMOs don’t work that way. Do you have any idea of how much work went into even the modest content we’ve seen since launch? Who pays for that? The company isn’t selling it to you. They’re giving it to you for free. You weren’t charged for the fractals, but undoubtedy it costs money to make the fractals.

The buy to play model requires cash shop sales, because if the game that launched was all that was here now, there’d be no players. The only way players stay in MMOs is if the company who makes it continues to give them things to do…all of which costs money.

It’s not about running servers, it’s about making content.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

This. It’s a ridiculous restriction. The trick is to list your stuff at a high, but not ridiculously high, price. You win either way.

But it’s not free! You spend 5% of whatever price just for storage? :|

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

No one said it was free, it is just unlimited storage.

But it’s not free! You spend 5% of whatever price just for storage? :|

Posted by: Midguard.7603

Midguard.7603

My roommate and I trust one another to mail things back and forth at will. We give each other a lot of crafting materials and such, but when we run out of bag space during a night of farming, we often mail to one another and then hit the “Send Back” button, returning the 5 items to their/my inbox. He often runs out of space, but I use it because when he sends it back, that mail becomes accessible to my Alts. The downside is that he has to be online for me to do this. I wouldn’t trust many others to do this.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

My roommate and I trust one another to mail things back and forth at will. We give each other a lot of crafting materials and such, but when we run out of bag space during a night of farming, we often mail to one another and then hit the “Send Back” button, returning the 5 items to their/my inbox. He often runs out of space, but I use it because when he sends it back, that mail becomes accessible to my Alts. The downside is that he has to be online for me to do this. I wouldn’t trust many others to do this.

You can always buy a second copy of the game! I think it was only around $35 a couple of days ago.