Can't use desired name

Can't use desired name

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

so yeah, i tried to make a name, a referance from Winnie the pooh “t i double g er” but apparent that is not permitted…? whats wrong with people?

Attachments:

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

(edited by Fat Disgrace.4275)

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Alek Seven.2374

Alek Seven.2374

Replace the T by a N and look : (Sorry Anet/people, thats what i see)

T I G G E R.

Can't use desired name

Fat Disgrace.4275

yes thats the point of it. its a cartoon character lol.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

Can't use desired name

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

its the spacing of _g_er….

Hey kids! Can you guess the word?

Can't use desired name

Fat Disgrace.4275

yeah, thats the problem with people. they see that and instantly think of racist. pathetic

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

yeah, thats the problem with people. they see that and instantly think of racist. pathetic

Or it’s a quirk with the software. Instead of calling people names, you could instead create a support ticket, asking if the name would be acceptable and, if so, to help you get it set up.

You might find that there’s a different reason why it’s disallowed. Or you might find that CS staff are willing to help out, if asked politely.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Can't use desired name

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

I’ve stared at the same for a solid 5 minutes to figure out why the name might not be allowed… couldn’t find anything…

Can't use desired name

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

It’s more likely that’s it is a copyrighted name than any “SJW” nonsense or partial matches to another word.

http://www.just-pooh.com/copy.html

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Opens thread, sees complaints about something potentially being blocked in the game because its apparently racist or something

ANet is a company with hundreds of multiracial employees with an international market that makes hundreds of thousands of dollars per year from many different countries. I’d recommend not trying to tell them what to do.

“What’s wrong with people” —- Indeed!

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I think GreyWolf is probably right in that the reason this is blocked is due to copyright..

Even if that’s not the case, names close to racial slurs are blocked in a lot of games/sites in general because people will often use them as bypasses for what they really want to say/infer.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I have to say that while I feel the OP’s pain (and am a huge Tigger fan), I’m kindof impressed that the name filter caught that.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I took a glance at the name and figured it out in an instant. Maybe write support and ask them to clear it or something idk if they can do that.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: SmirkDog.3160

SmirkDog.3160

No one 100% knows why it got blocked. Then say there’s no way you could know it’s racist, but you do know it’s totes ‘cause of those gosh darn troublemakin’ no good dirty rotten pig stealin’ SJWs.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

How about G I double L I ?

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Seiken.3176

Seiken.3176

Its really weird how english naming has hard restrictions, and in the other hand other language, like french, don’t have.

Here are some translation of french REAL players name i’ve seen (i’ve got to add some “*” instead some letters, sry)

=> B* at*h
=> Iam a bî**h
=> S**k m* d**k

I’m a part of this kind of player who are really chocked to see so much rude names who haven’’t be blocked or moderate in game.

Can't use desired name

Fat Disgrace.4275

guess i will have to write a ticket, although it would be nice if anet could reply here too.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Probably because the potential for putting a name from a well known humanoid feline character, owned by the most aggressively litigious IP owning company in the world, on a humanoid feline character in gw2 is just too risky.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

My guess is copyright. And you aren’t too likely to get a response from Anet here; if you want direct feedback, a support ticket is the way to go.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Its really weird how english naming has hard restrictions, and in the other hand other language, like french, don’t have.

Here are some translation of french REAL players name i’ve seen (i’ve got to add some “*” instead some letters, sry)

=> B* at*h
=> Iam a bî**h
=> S**k m* d**k

I’m a part of this kind of player who are really chocked to see so much rude names who haven’’t be blocked or moderate in game.

If possible, in the future, report such names with the in-game reporting system.

Good luck.

Can't use desired name

Illconceived Was Na.9781

On the whole, most permanently blocked names come from someone reporting the name and staff at ANet adding it to the automated filter. If people don’t report, then names don’t get added (and players won’t be asked to change those names).

The policy has changed somewhat since the game launched, in that previously unacceptable names are now allowed (such as references to bodily functions that delight 10 year old boys the world round, and more than a few middle-aged men, too). Generally, objectionable names include references to sex, suicide (or RL world violence generally), and the hard-to-define “hate speech”.

The filter (and the mods) have a harder time with slang and its many variations. So if you think something might be missed, file a support ticket rather than using the in-game /report feature.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

Copyrights in no way shape or form extend to in game names… it’s kind of common sense / research before saying it’s because of copyright. For example just type in Mickey Mouse to see that the name is already in use.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Copyrights in no way shape or form extend to in game names… it’s kind of common sense / research before saying it’s because of copyright. For example just type in Mickey Mouse to see that the name is already in use.

Just because a name is showing that it’s in use doesn’t mean that it’s an allowed name.

For all we know Mickey Mouse sits on a banned player’s account because Mickey Mouse was 1 disallowed name too many and they got banned for it. ANet doesn’t delete the characters for banned accounts so their name will show as in use.

And there have been posts by people who had had a name for years and suddenly be asked to change it because they finally got reported years after the fact for their name.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Erzian.5218

Erzian.5218

I always assumed they just banned the single letter G as they did not want players to impersonate game masters (to prevent abuse). ‘Game Master’ and ‘Gamemaster’ as well as ‘Gm’ and Gmxxxx are also not permitted. Single M is allowed though.

(edited by Erzian.5218)

Can't use desired name

MoarChaos.8320

Names alone do not have copyright protection. So just mentioning the name of a character won’t be copyright infringement without more.

Just because you assume Mickey Mouse is a banned player doesn’t change how copyright works.

Can't use desired name

Seera.5916

But one of the naming rules is to not name characters after copyrighted characters. Right or wrong, we agreed to not name a character Mickey Mouse.

Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-naming-policy/

Can't use desired name

Fat Disgrace.4275

it is actually a reference as to what he says, its his name spelt out as he says it but it is not his actual name. i named a char after my acc name and that got /reported and banned.

Can't use desired name

MoarChaos.8320

But one of the naming rules is to not name characters after copyrighted characters. Right or wrong, we agreed to not name a character Mickey Mouse.

Using even the flat out name would be fair use, but it’s safer for the game to avoid any issue with it entirely in it’s rules. So yes we did agree not to do it, but at worse you just get asked to change it. So technically correct, but it’s common place, non-harmful, and possible since to the best of my knowledge they don’t add the huge database of copyrighted material to be not allowed in name creation.

And I don’t think a character named Dawn soap would be asked to change.

Can't use desired name

Seera.5916

Using even the flat out name would be fair use, but it’s safer for the game to avoid any issue with it entirely in it’s rules. So yes we did agree not to do it, but at worse you just get asked to change it. So technically correct, but it’s common place, non-harmful, and possible since to the best of my knowledge they don’t add the huge database of copyrighted material to be not allowed in name creation.

And I don’t think a character named Dawn soap would be asked to change.

Who knows, I would lean towards it would be because it is copyrighted or trademarked. While the makers of Dawn soap wouldn’t likely sue because there’s no way it could be confused, ANet can’t pick and choose which names that break the rules it punishes.

All I know for sure is, if you repeatedly make names that get reported for being against the rules and they do actually break the rules, you get banned for it.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

=> B* at*h
=> Iam a bî**h
=> S**k m* d**k

Just report them then.
People from other countries are not as impressionable and constantly offended at everything like Americans or English people in general and they usually don’t report those names because they don’t care and are not affected by them. They’re childish names and at least you know what to expect from the people using them.

(edited by Haishao.6851)

Can't use desired name

Illconceived Was Na.9781

In the end, it really doesn’t matter if any of us think “Dawn Soap” is acceptable or not — it’s ANet’s decision. If the automated filter or one of the mods prevents you from a name, appeal via a support ticket — sometimes they make mistakes and they’ll correct them. Other times, they’ll be able to offer a substantive reason (e.g. maybe it’s the “wnso” that’s the issue, not the brand name of something people buy to clean their face).

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Dovienya.6597

Dovienya.6597

it is actually a reference as to what he says, its his name spelt out as he says it but it is not his actual name. i named a char after my acc name and that got /reported and banned.

Part of the TOS naming rules involve not using a real life person’s name, or a copyrighted literary character’s name, and includes not attempting to misspell or disguise the name.

I remember someone going through an issue like this around launch. That person had a Sylvari character named some variant spelling of Katniss. There was a reddit post where an Arenanet employee answered questions about naming rules, and people could ask whether or not theirs was acceptable. I don’t recall what the outcome was for Katniss, maybe they’re lurking on the forums and can tell us, but their argument was that the name belonged to a plant before it volunteered as tribute.

(edited by Dovienya.6597)

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Seiken.3176

Seiken.3176

I did repport these name from MONTHS every single DAY and they are still in game with the same rudes names !

And I will repport them again and again …

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I did repport these name from MONTHS every single DAY and they are still in game with the same rudes names !

Yeah, as I recall, the mods for that loosened up their restrictions. ..which is really disappointing, because there are some foul names running around out there.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Guys,

The reason that this particular name is blocked is entirely different than you believe. In fact, we block names that have a space around the letter “G” because that’s the most effective way to block someone from posing as a Game Master. We learned from experience in our own and other games that some people impersonate GM’s in an attempt to scam other players. They might use GM Fred or G M Fred, or they may incorporate symbols that look like “GM” at a glance. Blocking a self-standing letter “G” allows us to better prevent that unfortunate situation.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

If you keep reporting something and nothing is done it’s because there was no case. IMO, best you can do is to mature up and get over it.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Guys,

The reason that this particular name is blocked is entirely different than you believe. In fact, we block names that have a space around the letter “G” because that’s the most effective way to block someone from posing as a Game Master. We learned from experience in our own and other games that some people impersonate GM’s in an attempt to scam other players. They might use GM Fred or G M Fred, or they may incorporate symbols that look like “GM” at a glance. Blocking a self-standing letter “G” allows us to better prevent that unfortunate situation.

The more we know! Thanks, Gaile.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Guys,

Well that’s a boring reason ;-(

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Guys,

G Gray?

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: SmirkDog.3160

SmirkDog.3160

Guys,

See? It’s not those Pesky SJWs, it’s just a filter to prevent sketchy behavior. Maybe now you can all calm down.

Can't use desired name

Fat Disgrace.4275

I can sort of get that, makes sence but this “G” is in the middle of the name it self. Oh well, at least we all know now.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: ElectricGoat.8253

ElectricGoat.8253

This guy is trying to name a sylvari a name that is obviously meant to be a charr’s name. Also how come all the good names are taken, I had to get creative to find a name at all.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Ray Koopa.2354

Ray Koopa.2354

Dang. And I wanted to pose as G Aile G Ray so finally people would like me

just kidding
Nobody likes me though

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I can sort of get that, makes sence but this “G” is in the middle of the name it self. Oh well, at least we all know now.

It doesn’t matter where the letter is located in the word. It’s a block-all automated system.

It needs to block all words that meet the criteria Gaile laid out, otherwise real GM’s would have to manually block every single character name that is impersonating a GM. They don’t normally take manual action against a player’s account unless they’re reported, so by the time a GM was notified someone was impersonating a GM, it could be too late as they will have most likely already scammed 1 or more players before they got busted.

The downside is innocent words (like the OP’s) wind up being blocked from character names, but it’s much safer to prevent GM impersonation and scamming from ever happening.

As always, feel free to get creative and try other spellings for the name you’re going for. Just be sure to not make any names that would get you into trouble.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Yeah, there goes my Warren G. Harding cosplay character.
/harumph!

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Can't use desired name

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

The wonderful thing about filters…
Is filters are wonderful things!

Can't use desired name

Fat Disgrace.4275

The wonderful thing about filters…
Is filters are wonderful things!

“grrr!” .