Can't wait for the CD Mastery Points

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

since we hardly used half of the core ones.

Hope chapter 6 has a mastery that costs 23 points (6)

As it stands, we’ll be left with a LOT of unused Maguuma mastery points. Maybe we can add a vendor to spend the spare points (unlocks automatically after all possible masteries have been learned to prevent accidental over-spending) as a reward for the people who invested effort into them.

Attachments:

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Maybe, oh, just do not do mastery challenges beyond the number needed?

Amaimon.7823

Its not that you just dont do them, you get them for doing the content, but then can not use them for anything. You can’t avoid getting them, since they’re imbued to other content. But it just stings to look at a wallet full of currency with nothing to spend it on

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Its not that you just dont do them, you get them for doing the content, but then can not use them for anything. You can’t avoid getting them, since they’re imbued to other content. But it just stings to look at a wallet full of currency with nothing to spend it on

Like hero points?

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

It’s an intended design choice to keep people from doing the usual complaints that they’ll do about content gating.

Sadly there’s so much choice that its absurd to see these complaints from people.

Amaimon.7823

It’s an intended design choice to keep people from doing the usual complaints that they’ll do about content gating.

Sadly there’s so much choice that its absurd to see these complaints from people.

It’s not so much a complaint about the mastery points themselves, as its about the lack of use for them. If you’ve been active since HoT came out you should have like 10-15+ atm, as I’m currently at 23 spare, and there are still more points I have yet to gain.
That’s why I recommended a vendor; useful, but not incredible overpowered rewards, just as an extra for the people who do have the surplus.
Stuff like.. Assorted rares, or an exotic piece of equipment. Useful if you have it, but nothing you can’t do without

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

If ArenaNet made it so that there was just enough mastery points to serve all the masteries imagine the complaining when 90% of the playerbase couldn’t manage Gold reward on any number of adventures.

I’m for having a few to spare, it means those with less time or ability can still get what they need. If you have more than you require, who cares.

There is also nothing to stop ArenaNet expanding the jungle in future and using up some of the remaining mastery points in the process.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I’m happy with the amount of mastery points there is today. I don’t have all of them, and I don’t want to go back and do certain things I’ve already avoided just to keep going with the masteries.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

As it stands, we’ll be left with a LOT of unused Maguuma mastery points.

That’s good. Thanks to that you don’t need to feel pressured to do all of them and can skip those that are most annoying for you.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

Not everyone likes all kinds of content. It should be possible to unlock all masteries while completely avoiding one type of content (for example adventures) that gives mastery points. So I don’t think we have too many mastery points overall. Rather we have too many mastery points associated to a single type of content (and/or too few associated to other content).

I’m ok with adding a sink for excess points like the vendor you recommended, but please no mastery track that requires the remaining points. Maybe the vendor could offer an exchange? 2 points of region x for 1 point of region y?

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

The whole point is so that you don’t have to do every single mastery point to still unlock the masteries.
We got some extra, so what, not every single thing in the game needs a sink.

For every person who has points they can’t spend there’s probably a dozen of us struggling to get enough points to unlock all the masteries who really appreciate not having to Gold every so called Adventure to unlock Ley gliding or all the absolutely worthless tiers of Exalted to get Exalted Gathering which is also absolutely worthless beyond a single gathering strike to get all the Elite spec weapon collection items.
(See? there’s actually already a big MP sink right there)

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I like the way it works now as well.

Admittedly there’s a lot of HoT stuff I’ve been meaning to do and haven’t gotten around to yet, but I also still have the whole raid line and the final rank of several other masteries still to unlock. It’d be really frustrating if I had to do the stuff I’m not even interested in just to get the final points to complete those.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Amaimon.7823

People seem to misunderstand my topic, my point is not that there should be an exact number of mastery points, but rather, that the excess doesnt get wasted. I agree with everyone, that when its just for unlocking the masteries, players should have a wide variety of options.
But I’d just hate see the currently unused 23 points in my wallet remain there forever.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

People seem to misunderstand my topic, my point is not that there should be an exact number of mastery points, but rather, that the excess doesnt get wasted. I agree with everyone, that when its just for unlocking the masteries, players should have a wide variety of options.
But I’d just hate see the currently unused 23 points in my wallet remain there forever.

This surplus of MP means that if they introduce content later that you don’t want to do to get MP, you will still be able to get the Masteries. People who are able and willing to do every single bit of content and gain every single MP will probably always have surplus MP for this reason.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

I’m oversaturated on mastery points as well. However, I think everyone’s point is that more masteries than needed were put in the game so that you can skip stuff you don’t like or have a hard time with. They were NOT put into the game for extra rewards.

If your idea is implemented than the devs not only have to create a vendor that sells items, but they also might have to somehow change an item type (masteries) that was never meant to be a currency to a currency. There is the problem that you want to make it so that the people who don’t have max masteries don’t spend masteries because that means they might not have enough later. However, maybe people who don’t have maxed masteries, and don’t care about the other masteries, still want to sell their current masteries. What if these people change their minds after they sell their masteries?

The whole vender thing just ends up creating a lot of problems, along with potentially giving people who are already salty at adventures another reason to be salty. Potentially, more people would be upset, due to saltieness, than happy. Even if I have more than enough mastery points, why would I want so much of the dev’s time put into something that may cause more problems, make a lot of people unhappy, and only give me a little bit extra gold when the time could instead be put into more content or other quality of life changes?

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

Posted by: Nick Lentz.6982

Nick Lentz.6982

I actually find it far more funny that we use Maguuma mastery and not Tyria points. You know, the majority of where the new make are

Guardian of Maguuma
Grand Warden of I Crit Under Pressure.
message me for an invite ^_^

Amaimon.7823

I’m oversaturated on mastery points as well. However, I think everyone’s point is that more masteries than needed were put in the game so that you can skip stuff you don’t like or have a hard time with. They were NOT put into the game for extra rewards.

If your idea is implemented than the devs not only have to create a vendor that sells items, but they also might have to somehow change an item type (masteries) that was never meant to be a currency to a currency. There is the problem that you want to make it so that the people who don’t have max masteries don’t spend masteries because that means they might not have enough later. However, maybe people who don’t have maxed masteries, and don’t care about the other masteries, still want to sell their current masteries. What if these people change their minds after they sell their masteries?

That is simply fixed by not having the vendor unlocked until they have completed all Maguuma and Season 3 masteries

Amaimon.7823

I actually find it far more funny that we use Maguuma mastery and not Tyria points. You know, the majority of where the new make are

Agreed, But it probably would have causes other problems to make season 3 specific masteries. I’m with you on thinking they should’ve used Tyrian Mastery Points, but maybe they prepared for the fact that Tyrian Mastery Points are only used for core content (character functioning, raids, fractals, etc) rather than story related content

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

People seem to misunderstand my topic, my point is not that there should be an exact number of mastery points, but rather, that the excess doesnt get wasted.

Not possible while keeping to the design that was explained above. If the “surplus” mastery points can give you something you’d want to have, they are not surplus. If not, they are wasted.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

If your idea is implemented than the devs not only have to create a vendor that sells items, but they also might have to somehow change an item type (masteries) that was never meant to be a currency to a currency.

Also, what happens if you “spend” all your surplus MP and then need them later? Seems like a Customer Service problem waiting to happen. “Why did you give us a way to use up our MP if we’re going to need them later?”

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

That is simply fixed by not having the vendor unlocked until they have completed all Maguuma and Season 3 masteries

There was a big spree of complaints on the forums when they made it so you could get spirit shards for filling up your experience bar after you completed all the masteries from people who wanted spirit shards from experience but didn’t want any more of the masteries. You don’t think there will be complaints from people who don’t have maxed masteries and aren’t currently interested in the rest who want to spend masteries on items instead?

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

About the only thing I could see working (maybe) is some small passive bonus based on the number of unassigned points. E.g. 0.33% bonus per point to XP in Central Tyria or HoT areas, respectively.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

People seem to misunderstand my topic, my point is not that there should be an exact number of mastery points, but rather, that the excess doesnt get wasted.

Not possible while keeping to the design that was explained above. If the “surplus” mastery points can give you something you’d want to have, they are not surplus. If not, they are wasted.

This.

Me, I’m happy to have some “banked” MP. When new Ancient Magics come along, designed to enhance play in the new map and episode with which they are associated, I don’t have to go into a holding pattern looking for the points to buy the new tier. A surplus is far better than a deficit, especially when they take up zero inventory room. It’s just a number in one’s Hero Panel.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

you look at it the wrong way. instead of calling it waste, call it choice and say that excess allows you a jump start on future masteries.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

As it stands, we’ll be left with a LOT of unused Maguuma mastery points.

That’s good. Thanks to that you don’t need to feel pressured to do all of them and can skip those that are most annoying for you.

Exactly, that’s a good thing. The purpose of the Mastery system was not to “challenge” anyone or force them down a particular path, it was to provide an alternative to adding 10 levels onto the current level cap. To ensure that people have a way of advancing and unlocking new content and abilities that doesn’t invalidate everything they’ve got so far.

They’re not actually in your wallet though, are they? They’re not there for the simple reason that they’re not currency, you can’t spend them (this is probably the same reason that Achievement Points and Hero Points, amongst others, aren’t in your wallet).

Amaimon.7823

you look at it the wrong way. instead of calling it waste, call it choice and say that excess allows you a jump start on future masteries.

Except, with chapter 6 coming, I have no reason to believe Maguuma Mastery Points will ever be used again, looking at anets Modus Operandi

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

Would be nice if we get to spent 14 mastery points so we end HoT with lvl 200.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

It’s nice to have more points available then you can spend, that way you can pick the ones you want to complete instead of feeling forced to say, get all adventures on gold to obtain them.

These mastery points are just another currency that might flood your wallet without being able to spend em, like wvw rank points.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

This.

Me, I’m happy to have some “banked” MP. When new Ancient Magics come along, designed to enhance play in the new map and episode with which they are associated, I don’t have to go into a holding pattern looking for the points to buy the new tier. A surplus is far better than a deficit, especially when they take up zero inventory room. It’s just a number in one’s Hero Panel.

Exactly, whenever I want to learn a new mastery level in something I am always happy to find I have a few points already towards that cost. If the price is a hit to my OCD by not having 0 when there are no more masteries so be it.