Can't we all just get along?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Songarg.3657

Songarg.3657

Why does it seem like where ever I go, typing in Guild Wars 2 opens me to a Warzone. Fans attacking haters, haters attacking fans, normal people getting attacked in the crossfire.

People, people. Can’t we all just get along?

I don’t think I have ever seen such hatred being exchanged over a MMO. It’s just a game, people have fun with games. Sometimes opinions won’t match up, but calling someone a Expletive and then saying you want them to hurt for hating/liking this game, that sounds like cyber bullying.

What started all this? According to the Haters it was the “Fanboys” doing it to other MMOers during GW2’s development, and they are just giving it back. According to the fans it’s because the Haters are scared of GW2’s power and don’t want it to “Crush” there MMO. Now, I don’t know what side is true, but both sound foolish to me.

So why am I putting up a post like this? Why should I care? With any MMO there will be people who disagree, and can become violent over opinions. Well, because while on You Tube today, a comment caught my eye. It was by a Environmental designer named Josh Foremen. He thanking the Video maker for his complement about the games environment style. Then out of nowhere, someone comments to him about how he’s wrong and shouldn’t talk. Josh answers him too, but the guy then follows up with a accusation about Diminishing Returns.

What? When did it come to pass that the game devs should be put in the crossfire??

That is what sparked this post, there just seems to be a unnatural amount of hate being tossed around, just because of this game. Either you love with no critics, you hate it and think it’s the spawn of Satan, or you’re Anet and just loose.

So I repeat: Can’t we all just get along?

Better yet, I feel this expresses it nicely.

http://www.values.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots/121-Timeout

And please, I’m not trying to start a war here as well. Let’s litsen to the video and try to put some Civility into our comments.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I have never seen anyone being anything but cordial on my server, come to Aurora Glade, we have forums <3

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

It’s the internet. It’s a vile, vile place that harbors the worst kinds of people.

Posted by: slash.5428

slash.5428

Yeah, you should have a look to the Diablo III forums lol

Anyway, you know, kids …

Posted by: jesterchaos.5907

jesterchaos.5907

I have never seen anyone being anything but cordial on my server, come to Aurora Glade, we have forums <3

yeah will only cost 1800 gems to swap

emikochan.8504

It’s the internet. It’s a vile, vile place that harbors the worst kinds of people.

I don’t think so, anonymity just makes people honest. People aren’t any worse online, they are just protected from consequence.

wasn’t there a saying “the true test of a person’s character is how they act when they are immune to consequence” (or something :P)

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

Google G.I.F.T. (Greater Internet Kittenwad Theory) for a quasi-sociological take on what the OP is about.

emikochan.8504

yeah will only cost 1800 gems to swap

Just delete all your characters and it’s free!

Posted by: StevesDad.8213

StevesDad.8213

The majority of people(this is why you see the negativity on the internet) had a lot of hope for this game and it let them down pretty badly. That is why you see this. You also see the typical sycophants wherever you go because that’s the nature of really anything.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I’ve been just as belligerent defending this game as I have been attacking it. I’m not sure which camp I fit into anymore. Definitely used to be fanboi.

I’m just glad the internet is big enough for all my hate, regardless of it’s origin. I don’t mind the filth and the intellectual diarrhea. It gives me a place to put mine, that won’t get me fired and won’t burn any worthwhile bridges.

PS: The concept of cyberbullying is absurd. Can we find yet another way to promote victimhood and make people less responsible for themselves? Just thought I’d share my opinion since it was brought up in the OP.

Posted by: kailin.4905

kailin.4905

Imbalance will always create animosity. That being said in game most people are really nice and overall I think the community is the best part of this game. The only place I’ve ever really seen anyone being a jerk is in pvp and they are usually the ones running faceroll classes/builds so they are obviously 12 year old trolls in the first place.

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

I never ever see anybody do this kind of things?
Which server are you on? :p come to Fars Shiverpeaks, the dutch are really ‘gemoedelijk’ as they say

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

The concept of cyberbullying is absurd. Can we find yet another way to promote victimhood and make people less responsible for themselves?

Bullying is equally as irresponsible as victimhood.
Victimhood tries to dodge consequences for own’s mistakes, bullying tries to dodge consequences that would happen if you were to say such things face to face.
Overall I’d rather have victimhood over bullying tho; bullying can put down even the most intelligent person’s speech through baseless hate, while victimhood only allows people to say stupid opinions without being insulted (which is still pretty funny to see).

StevesDad.8213

PS: The concept of cyberbullying is absurd. Can we find yet another way to promote victimhood and make people less responsible for themselves? Just thought I’d share my opinion since it was brought up in the OP.

Totally see your point w/r/t personal responsibility but cyberbulling is definitely a “thing” for kids nowadays.

StevesDad.8213

The concept of cyberbullying is absurd. Can we find yet another way to promote victimhood and make people less responsible for themselves?

Bullying is equally as irresponsible as victimhood.
Victimhood tries to dodge consequences for own’s mistakes, bullying tries to dodge consequences that would happen if you were to say such things face to face..

Face to face? I’m so sick to death of hearing people on the internet say “WHY DONT YOU USE YOUR REAL NAME!!!???” “SAY THAT TO MY FACE!!!” It lets everyone know you are exactly like the person harrassing you while also pointing out that people want anonymity for one reason: their job. If no one was held accountable by their employer (read: given freedom expression even when identifieed) no one would GIVE A ****** and would DEFINITELY tell you whatever you want with full on info.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Actually I deleted that post because of the kitten language all over the place I didn’t think about. Anyways, general idea is that when people start getting overly angry you should instruct them to watch Animal Cops to re-calibrate their rage-meter.

Or forward them to a youtube video of kittens riding ruumbas.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

StevesDad.8213

Animal cops is so sad!

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I don’t think I have ever seen such hatred being exchanged over a MMO.

Try EVE Online.

If there are any forums worse than theirs, as far as hate goes, I’ve yet to find them.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Songarg.3657

Songarg.3657

:) Well thank you, however my home server (Tarnished Coast) is really nice as well, most of the people I see ingame are fine. It’s only when going Offline to other sites things turn into what I described, especialy You Tube. Though, considering it is You Tube, I really shouldn’t be surprised by that.

The majority of people(this is why you see the negativity on the internet) had a lot of hope for this game and it let them down pretty badly. That is why you see this. You also see the typical sycophants wherever you go because that’s the nature of really anything.

Yes, I have seen that. They even like quoting the MMO manifesto. Now, don’t get me wrong, alot of people have good reasons for hating this game. Yet, they use the “Fanboys did it first” claim to go everywhere and tell people they are idiots for playing GW2. Then defenders of GW2 do the very same to them and there games.

This is one of the moments where ‘Fight Fire with Fire.’ doesn’t work… it just causes more people then the fighters to get burned.

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Not on my server, not a day goes by without someone verbal abusing another or just being plain rude and a jerk.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Eladriel.7295

No excuse to act like jerks and be rude to others. No excuse at all.

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

There is no room for truth on the internet.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Eladriel.7295

I don’t think so, anonymity just makes people honest. People aren’t any worse online, they are just protected from consequence.

wasn’t there a saying “the true test of a person’s character is how they act when they are immune to consequence” (or something :P)

I always say, The internet brings out peoples true colors.. cause if they did and said the stuff they said in real life to someone, they would get the kitten kicked out of them and they know it.

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

I don’t think its an internet thing. I just think that deep down, most human being loathe humanity and wish it didn’t exist. I could be wrong though and speaking only for myself.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

The problem with the GW2 community is that they live in a bubble where everything is roses and when somebody says a bad thing about GW2, the bubble is threatened to burst so they turn into demon killing machines.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Anakin.9765

Anakin.9765

The problem with the GW2 community is that they live in a bubble where everything is roses and when somebody says a bad thing about GW2, the bubble is threatened to burst so they turn into demon killing machines.

That’s not the problem at all. Part of the problem, though, is some people think well thought-out, constructive counter arguments are coming simply from fanboyism, as you virtually stated. The truth is some players are so deep into hating on the game that they can’t dig their way out.

On a thread just a few moments ago you claimed GW2 had a great community, but the game just wasn’t any good, by the way. It sounds like you’re not much of a fan of the community, though?

I’m defending the game, but not because I’m afraid the bubble may burst. I’m defending it because I enjoy the game for what it is. It is not all roses, but it simply does not deserve some of the hate it is getting – especially your critique of “below average”. That has got to be a joke.

The answer I would give to the OP is perhaps in the future we’ll all get along a bit better, but we’ll never all just get along.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

“Integrity is what you are in the dark.”

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Pffft, everything is not just rose blossoms, there’s thorns in there too. I accepted a long time ago that the price for having something I like is to have some things I don’t like in the midst of it. I like to think it’s a fair estimation of how the world works. I save the nastiness for the people who try their hand at personal insults to me, rather than things I like.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

sostronk.8167

You should see the list of infractions I have in my mailbox. If someone notices you say anything remotely negative someone reports you and you get infracted. GW2 community cannot handle anything but rose blossoms.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

You should see the list of infractions I have in my mailbox. If someone notices you say anything remotely negative someone reports you and you get infracted. GW2 community cannot handle anything but rose blossoms.

You should start appealing them.

Also, I wish I could say I’m surprised, but since I also hung out on Reddit’s Minecraft sub? Yeah, I can’t say I am

sostronk.8167

Also, I wish I could say I’m surprised, but since I also hung out on Reddit’s Minecraft sub? Yeah, I can’t say I am

I made a post about how they should not be so easy on the infractions because forumgoers are customers. The post was infracted within a minute and deleted. I don’t think they care. Neither will I. I am appealing, but not by their means. I used to pump around $50 into this game a fortnight, which was completely unneccesary but my theory was pump money into the game = development. Now Ive made a decision not to spend another cent on the game due to this. That’s my way of appealing

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I made a post about how they should not be so easy on the infractions because forumgoers are customers. The post was infracted within a minute and deleted. I don’t think they care. Neither will I. I am appealing, but not by their means. I used to pump around $50 into this game a fortnight, which was completely unneccesary but my theory was pump money into the game = development. Now Ive made a decision not to spend another cent on the game due to this. That’s my way of appealing

I really wish I could get behind you but . . .

. . . you kind of asked for that topic to get blasted away and then having an infraction put on you. A part of your head, and probably a large part, knew they were going to do that to a post “calling them out” as they do every other one which has an accusatory tone.

Also, I’ll spend money on this game when I see something I absolutely must spend money on to have. Which, so far, isn’t anything they’ve put up for offers. So shrug yay? I’m protesting?

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

So why am I putting up a post like this? Why should I care?

Don’t ask us, ask yourself. Why ARE you posting this? Why DO you care? I’ve been following Guild Wars 2 since it was first announced years ago, I’m fairly active on gaming forums, and I haven’t encountered this at all. I mean… it’s a Game. It’s silly to care what other people think of a Game… but it’s even sillier to care that other people care what other-other people think of a game. Let the internet idiots claw at each other—if you come across an argument like what you’re describing, just ignore it. Play your game, live your life, be happy.