Can the Birthday Blaster go account bound?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Would it be possible to make the Birthday Blaster account bound now? It would be better if we could put it in our Shared Inventory Slots to use for each toon. Instead of a birthday for each toon, it would be an account birthday reward.

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

I honestly don’t see that happening. Anet rewards us for our dedication in keeping characters for over a period of time instead of the account. That is why the birthday blasters and stuff we receive for the most part are soul bound. Because keeping the same toons is harder since so many prefer re rolling after growing tired of the toon and so on. I think that is why they choose to reward how long you keep the character over how long you have kept your account.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. Being dedicated to a toon is meaningless, being dedicated to your account (and therefore ANet) is far more reward-worthy.

Even if that were the case, and they didn’t want toons younger than 2 years using them, they could just add a line of code for when you try to use it; If character age >=730 days then allow it, if not, then don’t and display a message.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

I perfectly understand what xikira means, but we have to face some facts, especially due to the fact that the population incrased since the core game was given for free.

First, due to the fact that the game is mostly base on aesthetic, it should be nice if everybody could achieve the skins that he wants.

-A new f2p player could after 1 month buy HoT and maybe after some more time PoF, unlocking every single map.
-He could also nerds like there won’t be tomorrow, farming achievement points in order to unlock zenith weapons or hellfire armor.

But he could not aging his own characters by choice, in order to get what the others have.

That’s why, to me, they should work separately on birthday gifts and account gift:

Birthday Gifts: specify for characters, which maybe gives things like currencies and karma, which are avaible just playing the game.

Account Gifts: given every year to every account regardless the age of characters.

Done that, all accounts would be the same and everybody would have an account bound gift whenever ANET would decide so.

ps: Brand new accounts would have unlocked all gifts ( maybe just when all currently expansions are owned ).

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’d like it if it was account bound. My high level chars don’t use it much but I sure would use it on my low levels. As well as the ability to put it in an account wide inventory slot. That would be useful.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The OPs suggestion would not allow anyone to get a Birthday Blaster early, or to get one when they shouldn’t have it. It would just mean that once you’ve got one all your characters can use it.

It seems silly that if I create a new character right now I can give them the Queen Jennah mini, the 3rd birthday finisher, the 4th Birthday backpack and mail carrier, two 5th birthday weapons and the 5th birthday title…but they can’t have a cake gun that gives a very short, basic food buff for 2 years.

Personally I’d love to have it account bound. It would enable me to free up 8 inventory spaces by deleting the extras I have and putting the 1 I keep into a shared slot. But also because I actually find it’s more useful when the characters are below level 80, when it’s not really worth buying food for them. But even I don’t have many 2 year old characters below level 80 and I make a lot of alts and level them ridiculously slowly.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As Danikat said: everything else is either an account bound reward or it’s a level up scroll; the Blaster is the only item that is soulbound.

Besides that, it’s not all that useful, since there are plentiful foods that are more powerful (and cheaper/easier to use) for L80s, whereas nothing close to it for lowbie toons. Although, perhaps that’s the point — ANet maybe doesn’t want veteran players to have such an OP option when new players do not. (However, if that’s true, why are the cakes produced by the blaster usable by anyone?)

Regardless of how we got to this status quo, the fact is that the birthday blaster is clutter for a lot of us; it’s not anymore useful than the extra Mini Queen Jennah, but takes up more space, because it’s not stackable and because it’s soul-bound.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

It would make sense if they were account bound. However, linking the birthday rewards to the characters instead to the account helps Anet to promote alt-ing between players: a player that want the birthday reward will not erase an old character even if bored of him/her, and instead could buy another character slot (more profit).

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I don’t see why it can’t be made account bound. The buff is pretty decent, but unreliable in my experience. Often times the cakes refuse to give me the buff, and I’ve seen other players run over them without getting the buff either.

If you have a character old enough to have earned it, chances are you’re familiar enough with the game. It would make the game slightly more alt friendly when leveling up new characters. 1 thing always annoying for veterans is having to deal with the slow pace of leveling new characters when you’re already familiar with the game.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

This dumb thing should be account bound so I can stick it in a shared inventory slot and have a (birthday) blast whenever I want. Instead, I just keep the thing in the individual inventory of literally all of my characters, wasting a slot for all of them. I think this is a great, extremely easy QOL change that ANet could do.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

In case anyone doesn’t know, you can use the Birthday Blaster to buff your Ranger pets too.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It would make sense if they were account bound. However, linking the birthday rewards to the characters instead to the account helps Anet to promote alt-ing between players: a player that want the birthday reward will not erase an old character even if bored of him/her, and instead could buy another character slot (more profit).

That works in the sense that people keep characters to get the newest birthday gifts.

But do you really think anyone is going to hang onto a character they don’t want anymore just because they have a Birthday Blaster no other character can use?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

That works in the sense that people keep characters to get the newest birthday gifts.

But do you really think anyone is going to hang onto a character they don’t want anymore just because they have a Birthday Blaster no other character can use?

You never know…
But no, that wasn’t my point. My point was that the most items in the birthday gift become account bound, the less people could feel attached to old characters. The Blaster just happen to be in the field, but if Anet made it account bound… how could they excuse to keep making other items soulbound in the future?

I’m not saying this shouldn’t happen. IMO soulbinding doesn’t have any purpose except making sure you don’t simply erase all your characters every other day, and it would be far better for me if every single item could be account bound. But there is that slippery slope, you know.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

What about a compromise? Account Bound with a level requirement.

Year 1 Booster req. lvl 60
Year 2 Booster req. lvl 50
Year 3 Booster req. lvl 40
Year 4 Booster req. lvl 30
Year 5 Booster req. lvl 20
Year 6 Booster req. lvl 10

This would give the benefit to those long standing characters as well as put a limit on which characters may use the booster.

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

This would give the benefit to those long standing characters as well as put a limit on which characters may use the booster.

Why have a level requirement? Just check to see if the character is 730 days old if it really matters whether or not the toon is eligible for a 2nd year gift. They can even cut and paste the code for doing that from the vendor that replaces the blaster for you if you need another after you deleted or whatever.

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

I was using my model for Celebration boosters and Birthday Boosters. I’d never heard of the Blaster before just now.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If ANet has made them account bound to prevent veterans from having an unfair advantage over newer players, this would make matters worse — the more veteran players would enjoy the most powerful bonus and new players would need 7 years to fully catch up.

If there isn’t any particular reason that these are soulbound, then this just makes things more complicated for everyone, including ANet.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”