Can the Community Team Refrain from Politics?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lyle.8591

Lyle.8591

i would be glad to weed out people who disagree with my ‘lifestyle’.
it’s hurtful and unnecessary there isn’t a way you can sell me otherwise.

i didn’t know who i really was for years because of ignorance of those around me and the social pressure to be straight.

also WOW… to EVERYONE saying it is being “shoved in their face”

because the anet team posts ONE picture on the biggest day in equality history????

do you realize what lgbt people have to deal with every day ? “shoved in my face”
wow… i am just like at a loss for words at anyone who could think those thoughts…

First you said you are glad to weed out people who disagree with you… and you tell us what you are facing every day is the worst? How about try not to shove in everybody’s face, that would certainly help.

I can’t fathom why you guys always be so aggressive, but you always say “love power”.

History has proven that you have to be aggressive to get a culture wide wrong fixed. It is not enough to settle for half measures or small victories; you need to be aggressive through to the end, in every situation, or you’ll never get equality.

You either fight for your rights or you’ll be a second class citizen forever.

And that’s how you always hyping up the “welcome to the 21st century”? We become kittenholes to every single people who disagrees with you?

i feel as though everyone is missing a huge point here…
yes, i agree that sometimes social push is the only way to really break through… but the thing is arenet has not even done that.

they feature a few lgbt characters out of their hundreds. they made one tweet. that is not being socially aggressive, and only slightly progressive! it’s a great thing, believe me!! but it isn’t ‘fighting’, it’s /representing/.

Nah I don’t mind if any company out there wants to actually represent themselves to stand with certain groups and their stance. Im not about arenanet tweet, but it really gathers some heavy responses from both sides who supports and not.

Im talking about the LGBT players who are always having this aggressive behaviour whenever they came across a hetero and try to act mighty above all, like you can see some of the posts here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Can-the-Community-Team-Refrain-from-Politics/first#post5217759
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Can-the-Community-Team-Refrain-from-Politics/page/3#post5218501

Why do they have to be so obnoxious? Why these people are like this? If you keep doing this, we are going to annoyed by this behaviour. And I UNDERSTAND, not all the LGBT people who do this, but why I’m seeing this a lot?

hm, it’s hard to really explain that. i get like that sometimes, i think we all do when we defend something we are passionate about. especially if the topic has something to do with our identities as human beings!

i think you see that behaviour a lot because people get stepped on a LOT in the lgbtq community. it’s not the right answer to reply with sass, but a lot of people use it as a poor defense mechanism i think rather than feel bad about themselves because someone tells them they are inherently wrong because they exist.

i hope that makes sense and didn’t come across as rude, i’m tryin’ to be as civil as possible especially after i made that hasty comment an hour ago. (that was me being defensive as well.)

coming out is really hard. being openly lesbian is even a lil harder i think haha.

Posted by: Swizzle.7982

Swizzle.7982

At what point to social and human issues become political issues? And does being a political issue mean that they are no longer human issues?

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Bro, i completely agree, not only does this game need to stay away from politics, but its true alot of the player base did not agree with the descision, and most of the country, atleast 60% If you read drudge report. I wish arenanet would keep away from stuff like this youll you will P.O most of yuur playerbase soon enough.

“I’m going to pull a bunch of random numbers out of thin air in order to support my point.”

In all honesty, I can’t see why this is as big of an issue as people are making it out to be.

Anet posted a pic in celebration for a group of people who have been fighting long and hard for a right that heterosexual people have had since the beginning.

That’s all there really is to it.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Monky.6928

Monky.6928

72% of gamers are gay

Gays are less than 2% of the general population.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

72% of gamers are gay

Gays are less 2% of the general population. Tell me again how 2/3’s of gamers are gay.

Its a good thing you were able to keep your account.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Lyle.8591

72% of gamers are gay

Gays are less 2% of the general population. Tell me again how 2/3’s of gamers are gay.

i literally did not even say that LMAO you just wrote that quote yourself haha?

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

90% of the statistics are made up.

Monky.6928

72% of gamers are gay

I didn’t post the survey, you did.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

72% of gamers are gay

Why bother to post in a game you’ve uninstalled and will never play again?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Lyle.8591

72% of gamers are gay

and the numbers don’t add up to 72% i am so confused…

OH OK i get it you added together everything aside from ‘completely heterosexual’ haha…

wow your snarkiness would normally make me a little sad, but i am too tired to care and tomorrows my birthday.

i don’t know! i found the survey online, like all of this other information we are finding. i didn’t make the survey i just found it because i was interested in the statistic.

what are we even doing guys. why doesn’t everyone just go to bed haha…

god these arguments are getting so tedious and pointless.

Posted by: Ringsound.7806

Ringsound.7806

I am not lesbian nor gay
I do not reject nor support homosexuality
But everyone have the right to express their will on sexuality choice
They just showing their support
It is nothing political
Why on earth personal sexuality choice suddenly become a political thing
Don’t like it? Close the tab

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I think he was being sarcastic. Even paraphrased a Westboro Baptist slogan.

Monky.6928

god these arguments are getting so tedious and pointless.

It doesn’t matter, in the end all I can do is choose to not participate. So I won’t be playing a game that goes against my conscience.

Happy birthday.

TheDaiBish.9735

72% of gamers are gay

I hope you’re aware that a community can have a majority even if that majority within that community is a minority in the general population.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I think he was being sarcastic. Even paraphrased a Westboro Baptist slogan.

What a pity.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

@Behellagh You are assuming everyone is living in your country.

Since this is a US issue and I live in the US then … what?

Edit: This thread is so going to be locked, or heavily edited, tomorrow. It’s getting a bit heated in here.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Monky.6928

I am not lesbian nor gay
I do not reject nor support homosexuality
But everyone have the right to express their will on sexuality choice
They just showing their support
It is nothing political
Why on earth personal sexuality choice suddenly become a political thing
Don’t like it? Close the tab

You just haven’t been paying attention. The personal is the political. There’s nothing sudden about this at all. They will eventually come for you too .

Posted by: Kennedys.3490

Kennedys.3490

In 2015, Is it really possible for someone who disagree to express his opinion about this ?

“yes, as long as…”
“yes unless…”
“you can but…”

Ah ok, i get it. You can but not really.

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

My word, why has this thread not been locked yet?

Everyone has their opinion, what Anet chooses to do with the game or their facebook/twitter profile is their choice. Like it or lump it.

Congratulations to the US on this remarkable decision to put everyone on an equal level when it comes to love, sex, politics, and financial gains(or losses!).

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Monky.6928

72% of gamers are gay

I hope you’re aware that a community can have a majority even if that majority within that community is a minority in the general population.

I hope you’re aware of basic arithmetic. More than 60% of adults play video games, while only 2% of adults are gay. Even if you assume that all gays are also gamers, that means only 3.3% of gamers are gay. Feel free to dispute the actual numbers of gays or gamers in the general population, you’ll never make it to 72%. Good night.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I would prefer it if Anet would have a neutral stance on political issues and in fact all real world issues for that matter.
They are a video game company – what I want from them is the video game they’re making not social commentary.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Swizzle.7982

100% of people are Bisexual.

Here’s a pretty interesting article:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15299716.2010.500960

“It seems, in Man, that innate heterosexual reproductive behavior no longer exists; however, due to the specific relations between reinforcement processes and erogenous zones, a new behavior has appeared, the goal of which would be bodily stimulation. This behavior, that we describe as erotic behavior, induces the learning of many auto-, hetero-, kitten - and bisexual activities, among which, indirectly, is the crucial kittenl coitus sequence. Thus human reproduction, however fundamental to the survival of the species, would, paradoxically, only be an almost fortuitous consequence of the search for physical pleasures.
In conclusion, in the absence of cultural values stigmatizing particular sexual behaviors (i.e., homophobia), it seems that the innate tendency to search for erogenous zones’ stimulations by partners, as seen in the Bonobos, leads to the learning of a sexuality that would in most cases be bisexual.”

Turns out, like dolphins, we just do stuff cause it feels good and if you happen to be heterosexual then that’s just a by-product of our innate pleasure seeking tendencies being moulded by cultural reinforcement. So, if anything it could be argued that heterosexuality is the most maladaptive or unnatural of all orientations, being instilled by cultural reinforcers rather than any natural disposition, i.e., shame, bigotry, fear, or maybe just a lack of imagination.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

I’m just gonna leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaG5SAw1n0c

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

I’ve heard it all now… 1st anyone with religious beliefs has been described as a mental patient…. 2nd Heterosexuality is caused by the lack of an imagination…… This just gets better and better

Dashingsteel.3410

I think it took a lot of imagination to write that article….. but where was the scientific fact?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Oh dear.

I think now there are those looking to get the entire thread nuked from orbit.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

It’s quite simple actually,

If you do not respect the views of ArenaNet, do not support ArenaNet financially

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

GuzziHero.2467

I think it took a lot of imagination to write that article….. but where was the scientific fact?

Same with the Bible/Quran/Torah etc

Touche! My point!

Lyle.8591

this thread has definitely moved past anything constructive.

Dashingsteel.3410

Those books didn’t claim that people were 100 percent bisexual. What’s your point?

Swizzle.7982

I’ve heard it all now… 1st anyone with religious beliefs has been described as a mental patient…. 2nd Heterosexuality is caused by the lack of an imagination…… This just gets better and better

Actually, a good argument could be made for the fact that religious belief is a mental illness.

Here’s the DSM-V definition of delusion:

“A false belief based on incorrect inference about external reality that is firmly held despite what almost everyone else believes and despite what constitutes incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary. The belief is not ordinarily accepted by other members of the persons’s culture or subculture (i.e., it is not an article of religious faith). When a false belief involves a value judgment, it is regarded as a delusion only when the judgment is so extreme as to defy credibility. Delusional conviction can sometimes be inferred from an overvalued idea (in which case the individual has an unreasonable belief or idea but does not hold it as firmly as is the case with a delusion).”

The line “The belief is not ordinarily accepted by other members of the persons’s culture or subculture” is the only thing which distinguishes religious belief from delusion. Of course, that was only really added for political purposes. If 90% of people say the sun is blue, well… You get the idea.

GuzziHero.2467

Those books didn’t claim that people were 100 percent bisexual. What’s your point?

When we are comparing the possiblity of people being 100% bisexual, and slaying a thousand philistines with the jawbone of a [donkey-related word which word filter deletes], I think we are on different scales of possibility here.

GuzziHero.2467

Actually, a good argument could be made for the fact that religious belief is a mental illness.

“A false belief based on incorrect inference about external reality that is firmly held despite what almost everyone else believes and despite what constitutes incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary. The belief is not ordinarily accepted by other members of the persons’s culture or subculture (i.e., it is not an article of religious faith). When a false belief involves a value judgment, it is regarded as a delusion only when the judgment is so extreme as to defy credibility. Delusional conviction can sometimes be inferred from an overvalued idea (in which case the individual has an unreasonable belief or idea but does not hold it as firmly as is the case with a delusion).”

The line “The belief is not ordinarily accepted by other members of the persons’s culture or subculture” is the only thing which distinguishes religious belief from delusion. Of course, that was only really added for political purposes. If 90% of people say the sun is blue, well… You get the idea.

When I was in CPGB[M-L] I actually wrote a paper on religion as a mental illness which was critically acclaimed by several British doctors. Might have been published if I hadn’t had my funding withdrawn when I left.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

“It seems, in Man, that innate heterosexual reproductive behavior no longer exists; however, due to the specific relations between reinforcement processes and erogenous zones, a new behavior has appeared, the goal of which would be bodily stimulation. This behavior, that we describe as erotic behavior, induces the learning of many auto-, hetero-, kitten – and bisexual activities, among which, indirectly, is the crucial kittenl coitus sequence. Thus human reproduction, however fundamental to the survival of the species, would, paradoxically, only be an almost fortuitous consequence of the search for physical pleasures.
In conclusion, in the absence of cultural values stigmatizing particular sexual behaviors (i.e., homophobia), it seems that the innate tendency to search for erogenous zones’ stimulations by partners, as seen in the Bonobos, leads to the learning of a sexuality that would in most cases be bisexual.”

Turns out, like dolphins, we just do stuff cause it feels good and if you happen to be heterosexual then that’s just a by-product of our innate pleasure seeking tendencies being moulded by cultural reinforcement. So, if anything it could be argued that heterosexuality is the most maladaptive or unnatural of all orientations, being instilled by cultural reinforcers rather than any natural disposition, i.e., shame, bigotry, fear, or maybe just a lack of imagination.

When the findings of a study can be quoted as, “it seems,” rather than, “it is,” then the findings are questionable at best. Saying, “seems,” is an acknowledgement that the result is a matter of opinion and is nt factual.

Lyle.8591

i’d like to point out that religion and homosexuality are not opposites, there is a great documentary about it!

one of my ex girlfriends was christian and we were still very much lesbians.
i am not religious, but that doesn’t mean the discussion has to shift to hatred for religious peoples.

just because a community houses many homophobic people does not mean the whole community feels that way. and most of the phrases in the bible that directly point out that homosexuality is bad are either mistranslations or written by this one guy whose verses are all equally ridiculous and nonsensical. (i’ve never read the bible, this is sourced directly from “Fish Out of Water” ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1413067/ )

TheDaiBish.9735

72% of gamers are gay

I hope you’re aware of basic arithmetic. More than 60% of adults play video games, while only 2% of adults are gay. Even if you assume that all gays are also gamers, that means only 3.3% of gamers are gay. Feel free to dispute the actual numbers of gays or gamers in the general population, you’ll never make it to 72%. Good night.

Oh yeah, I’m aware of basic arithmetic.

I just wasn’t aware of the actual statistics.

If that’s the case, shouldn’t it be that “100% of people are pansexual”?

At any rate, keeping it PG, I disagree.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: x Charlie.4820

x Charlie.4820

I’m referring to this: https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/614560129573351424

Please remember that a very large portion of your player base doesn’t agree with the court’s decision today.

That “Large portion” are ignorant and living in the past. It’s 2015 wake up dude, We accept people for who they are now. You’re most certainly the minority, Our generation of young people now is very accepting on this subject.

What other people do with their life is up to them. It doesn’t affect you and i’m not sure what makes you think you have the right to dictate what other people do.

You only get one chance to live, I’m sure as hell not going to tell anyone how they should live or be told how to live. If they’re life doesn’t negatively affect other people and their happy, That’s good enough for me. You should reevaluate yourself because fighting against things that don’t affect you is a waste of your life.

Stop being so closed-minded and let people live how they want. If you can’t do that then i think you should just quit altogether, We’ve had 2 same sex relationships happening in the story since launch. It’s weird how a picture of 2 guys on twitter has rustled your feathers so much yet their was no disagreement with the same sex female relationships.

Chazwyne, Necromancer <3
Smallscale <3 Vabbi
The Original Dudes [to]

(edited by x Charlie.4820)

Dashingsteel.3410

Did you read that at the asylum Guzzi???? After all you have already diagnosed anyone who believes in God as a deluded mental patient..

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

So GW2 is now a platform for various world views, huh? I kinda liked it better when it was just a video game.

One tweet doesn’t make it a platform for anything.

Then you forget about the Living Story 2, the Diversity’s Edge, to an extend it become the main primary focus. I mean I chill about sylvari being new and actually bisexual or whatever, but you cannot deny the fact it is overtaking the whole story.

And imma tell you the truth, I’m not trusting them to preordering HoT because of the story being butchered for the sake of “world view” I’m pretty sure they gonna pull off some story worse than those on fanfiction.net

Stop hiding the fact.

I can actually deny the fact that it’s taking over the whole story. In fact, it’s very much a sideline unless you’re so sensitive to it, that it’s all you can see. To me the whole story is about the Sylvari and the Dragon and that relationship is almost an afterthought because, you know, there’s a lot of other stuff happening.

But people who aren’t cool with it, of course, focus on it to the exclusion of the plot. You do realize plot has nothing to do with backdrop, or even necessarily characters. This isn’t about the romance, it’s just there. It’s about the war.

You just can’t see that.

Swizzle.7982

When I was in CPGB[M-L] I actually wrote a paper on religion as a mental illness which was critically acclaimed by several British doctors. Might have been published if I hadn’t had my funding withdrawn when I left.

Back when I was completing my PhD I was tempted to write a paper about religion, from the perspective of existential psychology, as being a means of avoiding the anxiety of death and meaninglessness. There are a few papers written along similar lines but they usually only hint at it, and then edge their way around the issue.

In the phylogenetic data.

When the findings of a study can be quoted as, “it seems,” rather than, “it is,” then the findings are questionable at best. Saying, “seems,” is an acknowledgement that the result is a matter of opinion and is nt factual.

Actually “it seems” or some variation is pretty much “industry standard”, for the same reasons that no scientist will ever say that they have proven anything, no scientist will ever say “it is”. That’s just the way science works, even if all the evidence in the world is pointing towards one clearly obvious conclusion the most you can say is that “it seems” that such and such can be said of it, seen or assumed etc. Even in the case of gravity, or evolution, simply because we do not, and maybe can not, ever know that we know everything.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I suppose that you would have to prove that the belief is false if you were making the claim of delusion.

Next there is the everyone else part. Billions of people participate in religion.

Next there has never been inconctrovertible proof that God (or Allah, or Thor, or Vishnu, etc) does not exist.

And then there is the cultural acceptance part you mentioned.

According to every element of your quoted definition of delusion, religion isn’t.

As an agnostic I am not inclined to label someone delusional for believing in a god whose existence he cannot prove any more than I would so label someone claiming that god does not exist without the ability to prove that claim.

Dashingsteel.3410

lol so just give the scientist the benefit of the doubt because of his rigorous studies of dolphins and bonobos….. propaganda is easy these days

Just a flesh wound.3589

lol so just give the scientist the benefit of the doubt because of his rigorous studies of dolphins and bonobos….. propaganda is easy these days

Well in a previous thread we did have a poster who claimed that because a guy he knew had studied teeth extensively, that made him an expert on transsexuality, so I guess it cuts both ways.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Oh dear.

It’s probably the nicest thing that could happen to it at this stage.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Can the community team refrain from opening this ridiculous threads that just sparks up the people? What, now that expansion price topic and gay topic is beaten to death, you lack of the arguments so you play politics card? Sad. Really sad.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Oh dear.

It’s probably the nicest thing that could happen to it at this stage.

yes

Dashingsteel.3410

Yeah, we also have a guy that claims that anyone who is a Christian is delusional mental patient…… All sorts of expert “theories” flying around

Swizzle.7982

I suppose that you would have to prove that the belief is false if you were making the claim of delusion.

That’s not how it works, you can never prove a negative, the burden of proof is on the person making the claim. Otherwise the most you can have is the evidence of absence or the proof of impossibility (both of which exist in spades for most religious beliefs). There are the classic examples of this you can go look up like Russell’s teapot, the invisible pink unicorn or the dragon in the garage.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I figure it’s none of my business who loves who or who marries who. I just want some of my GW2 characters to have a kitten pony. Why is that so wrong? Why? Where is it written, thou shalt not rideth upon a mount, yea, especially should that mount increase thy speed in travel, lest ye game be mistaken for WoW?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

Where is it written, thou shalt not rideth upon a mount, yea, especially should that mount increase thy speed in travel, lest ye game be mistaken for WoW?

Just above my post. In yours :-P

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.