Can u please make Support a meaningful role?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Can you please make Support a meaningful role?

I know lots of people love damage role.

But seriously, I would like Support to be equally as useful in the game now. I dont feel rewarded for playing a good support role anymore.

My heals are too weak without gearing up, no matter what my traits are.

Also the heals are small in general. the Regen boon is flawed when it comes to multiple people playing Support roles, which will happen in a open world game like this that focus on large group combat.

On my Engineer when I use Med kit, with careful aiming of meds, I want to feel like I actually saved somebody,

But I never get this feeling, only a sense of wasted time, since a typical AoE splash does more damage than all the Med heals combined. Regen is simply never on part with damage to counter it.

and the way Regen stacks, its practically useless to have multiple players play support role. There is no skill in it if all it ever does is stack duration.

So not fun, nor rewarding.

Also lets not forget how the game doesnt even reward support on events. Damage gets the most rewards. Support gets the least.

Stop this design for once. Its not fun. Make all the roles equal to each other, and useful.

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

there are no trinity roles here. and game was advertised as such

and there is no reason to buff healing, as it would have negative effect on pvp and wvw

imo – in pve healing is just for learning purposes – learning not to get damaged

and don’t bother ‘saving’ someone, you are doing bad favor for them. if you constantly save them, they will never improve

P.S. and you should specify that you mean ‘healing support’, because support in general is awesome in this game – 25might stacks, fury, swiftness, vigor.. etc, and it makes huge difference

kill all ze thingz

Posted by: Onisuo.8607

Onisuo.8607

You heal people when they get downed. Does healing+ affect how quickly you heal downed players is what I would like to know.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Support role in Gw2 is well really a support role. What I mean is it would be wrong to consider support merely healing in Gw2 its much much more. Like Saulius said healing is just part of it you need to do more in Gw2 to be an effective support. Its not just about having regen on your friend, its about stacking boons that boosts their damage and reduced the damage they get. Its slapping conditions on foes to allow allies to disengage if they need to regen. Its about disrupting enemies so they dont damage allies using blind, pushbacks etc… Its about weakening enemies to do less damage to friendlies using conditions like weaken.

In short as support you’re not just healing in Gw2, you’re increasing allied damage, reducing the damage they take and help them escape damage when they need to.

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Actually there is a thing called supportive guardian. Google about it, it totally changes a group’s synergy. But how would you know, it’s easier to complain when you can’t figure something out than actually figuring it out right?

There are 8 professions, most of them have defensive/supportive traits. No, you won’t get “click F1 to spam AOE heal”. It requires focus to play support in Gw2 because the AI is more likely to target you than the DPS if you are too good of a support.

Crazy right?

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

In GW2, Support isn’t about carrying other players, but empowering them.

Heal-spamming and other traditional fare don’t really belong in the game, because it is designed to reward players for paying attention, knowing their enemies and mastering difficult situations with limited resources.

I don’t think Support needs to be buffed per se, but I would like to see support activities given credit toward kills and events. That player who buffed the hell out of you and rezzed you twice may not have done as much damage as you did against the boss, but that doesn’t mean those things didn’t make all the difference.

Supporting other players shouldn’t mean forfeiting gold and getting silver or bronze for an event (or nothing). That’s just wrong.

So nay to introducing heal spamming to GW2 (there are many good reasons why ArenaNet doesn’t want to go down that road), but yea to rewarding players not just for standing around pounding on bosses in a DPS race, but for for contributing to a team effort and working together to succeed.

That’s always the right thing to design for in a game.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: jdkL.4520

jdkL.4520

A neverending story about the lack of the trinity and, somehow, the biased people’s vision of the metagame.
You’ll hear praises about how DPS is predominant and so on, but yet get blamed if you don’t manage to support someone in various cases that had put them in low health zone.
The result will always be the same : your supporting skills will be on cooldown.
Relish the few times someone will recognize they woulda died without your aegis/regen/whatever, these are golden.

Ravenmoon.5318

A neverending story about the lack of the trinity and, somehow, the biased people’s vision of the metagame.
You’ll hear praises about how DPS is predominant and so on, but yet get blamed if you don’t manage to support someone in various cases that had put them in low health zone.
The result will always be the same : your supporting skills will be on cooldown.
Relish the few times someone will recognize they woulda died without your aegis/regen/whatever, these are golden.

Ascalonian Catacombs are quite unforgiving to groups without a guardian. At least thats the impression i get by playing my dps warrior (lvl 60 though) and the party wipes few times just so i would then log my guardian and pass the dungeon in record times with no deaths. Some people do really underestimate the power of the Protection and heal regen boons

Posted by: STRanger.5120

STRanger.5120

Support =/= Healer

Don’t confuse those two terms. If you want to be a healer, WoW(etc.etc.etc) is this way ->

I would like to see some reward for supporting role though, boosting and helping teammates doesn’t give me a credit in any event/WvW/PvP fight, which seems wrong to me.

#ELEtism 4ever

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

You heal people when they get downed. Does healing+ affect how quickly you heal downed players is what I would like to know.

Healing Power has no effect on reviving downed or defeated targets.

ketchup: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ressurection

Ravenmoon.5318

Support =/= Healer

Don’t confuse those two terms. If you want to be a healer, WoW(etc.etc.etc) is this way ->

I would like to see some reward for supporting role though, boosting and helping teammates doesn’t give me a credit in any event/WvW/PvP fight, which seems wrong to me.

As a supportive guardian i have no trouble getting gold medal on any event even when i go there in the last second. I honestly have no clue what you guys are talking about. Every one of you has at least 1 damaging skill from their weapon of choice, hit th event mob 2-3 times and go back to support. It’s not so hard ._. For example when you blow all your supportive skills and they are in CD, you could focus on the boss for few seconds, then back at support and repeat until profit

Now … if you keep your distance in order not to get harmed or somehow dodge aggression from the AI, that is your own doing!

STRanger.5120

Support =/= Healer

As a supportive guardian i have no trouble getting gold medal on any event even when i go there in the last second. I honestly have no clue what you guys are talking about. Every one of you has at least 1 damaging skill from their weapon of choice, hit th event mob 2-3 times and go back to support. It’s not so hard ._. For example when you blow all your supportive skills and they are in CD, you could focus on the boss for few seconds, then back at support and repeat until profit

Now … if you keep your distance in order not to get harmed or somehow dodge aggression from the AI, that is your own doing!

Well, try that in the WvW, you don’t even tag the mobs there because they’re dead before you reach them/your projectiles reach them. Also if you play some class that’s not OP, like an Ele for example, even two hits are often not enough to tag a mob for reward.
Not my case though, but a lot of my friends stopped playing because they like to fill a support role, were looking forward to it before release and are hugely disappointed now, being forced to do damage to get reward. I hope you can understand this statement, as I said, this is not an idea from my head, I love the dmg

#ELEtism 4ever

Ravenmoon.5318

Especially defensive Ele is OP. The guardian is perhaps the only balanced class out there. Trading one trait for another like no other.

And the skill I steal from elementalists as a thief is lame thumbs down

STRanger.5120

Especially defensive Ele is OP. The guardian is perhaps the only balanced class out there. Trading one trait for another like no other.

And the skill I steal from elementalists as a thief is lame thumbs down

Well, do you know the difference between “Defensive” and “Support”? I guess not m8, when you reacted like that.
And actually, you should try the defensive Ele, I guess you’ll be surprised how “OP” it is… /sarcasm

But almost unkillable Guardian is not very rare I’m afraid….

#ELEtism 4ever

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

Can you please make Support a meaningful role?

I know lots of people love damage role.

But seriously, I would like Support to be equally as useful in the game now. I dont feel rewarded for playing a good support role anymore.

A good support will augment damage immensely. Guardians stack might, clear all conditions, heal on dodge etc etc, they do lots of stuff and everyone knows this. Mesmers are probably my favorite though with feedback, time warp, portal and pull. The other classes support their teammates as well but in most scenarios we ALL support each other.

My heals are too weak without gearing up, no matter what my traits are.

Water fields are amazing. You heal better than a monk with blast finishers since it’s all AOE.

Also the heals are small in general. the Regen boon is flawed when it comes to multiple people playing Support roles, which will happen in a open world game like this that focus on large group combat.

On my Engineer when I use Med kit, with careful aiming of meds, I want to feel like I actually saved somebody,

But I never get this feeling, only a sense of wasted time, since a typical AoE splash does more damage than all the Med heals combined. Regen is simply never on part with damage to counter it.

and the way Regen stacks, its practically useless to have multiple players play support role. There is no skill in it if all it ever does is stack duration.

So not fun, nor rewarding.

That seems to stem from not having truly distinguished roles. You don’t see yourself adding to the group and that’s partly Anet’s fault and accomplishment: everyone adds to the group. Although we are somewhat pigeonholed with zerker armor…

Also lets not forget how the game doesnt even reward support on events. Damage gets the most rewards. Support gets the least.

Stop this design for once. Its not fun. Make all the roles equal to each other, and useful.

I think Anet had to make a choice. GW1 was an instanced game where drops were distributed to party members randomly so it avoided the “you stole my drops” or the “that was my kill!” issue you see in every other MMO. GW2 is not an instanced game but has mostly removed the fight for drops by giving anyone with damage their own loot. They had to choose: Do we force people to fight for drops as parties or do we give everyone something? Because if dedicated healers were necessary in this game you would need the old party system where 1 group gets drops and no one else does. Otherwise no healer would get anything and the complaints would never stop(support roles do get drops btw, sometimes in large champ trains people don’t get drops and that’s a game code issue).

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Did someone just call the elementalist OP?

STRanger.5120

Did someone just call the elementalist OP?

Am I not the only one who noticed? Great :-) I was beginning to worry….

#ELEtism 4ever

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

In a game like this, I too disagree with DPS being the primary determining factor in rewards. It’s essentially punishment for not picking a DPS build. Condition builds are just as viable AND offer good support roles, but take longer to put mobs down, so we get less credit for the same, or even more effort/contribution. I agreed that resing a defeated player is often a bad thing, but not resing a downed player can often cost you the battle. There is this thing called “teamwork” and in dungeons, they’re so much more difficult if you don’t have someone who can heal and/or cleans conditions. On the other hand if you don’t have enough DPS dungeons are just as hard.

I don’t know if it’s as bad as it used to be but back in the early days of the game DPS build got way better loot than other builds because the loot tables were built to take that in to consideration. There was ALOT of complaining on the forum about it.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Support is meaningful. Unfortunately support gear is not – and probably will never be – meaningful until each set of gear offers unique additional skill options that aren’t available to the others. That will probably never happen, however.

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

Regen actually scales really well with healing power… I do think it should scale better for other healing abilities but as far as regen goes I’ve never had issue with how it performs. Just don’t expect to tank damage on regen alone.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

and there is no reason to buff healing, as it would have negative effect on pvp and wvw

imo – in pve healing is just for learning purposes – learning not to get damaged

and don’t bother ‘saving’ someone, you are doing bad favor for them. if you constantly save them, they will never improve

P.S. and you should specify that you mean ‘healing support’, because support in general is awesome in this game – 25might stacks, fury, swiftness, vigor.. etc, and it makes huge difference

This isn’t Pokemon, the goal of the game isn’t to become the very best there ever was. Its to play together and have some fun while you are at it.

Defnitely do save people. Don’t let someone die just because you don’t think they are a good player or that they should improve via “tough love”. You don’t know what their playing conditions are or if they are even capable of it. Watching them become a corpse on the ground for such reasons is kind of sad.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Regen actually scales really well with healing power… I do think it should scale better for other healing abilities but as far as regen goes I’ve never had issue with how it performs. Just don’t expect to tank damage on regen alone.

Don’t expect to tank anything at all. ANet broke tanking twofold. first off they removed any semblance of aggro control. Second they added spiky damage that you need to use some kind of in game mechanic to avoid rather than passive stats, as they will overwhelm even the highest of stat combos.

All in all, GW2 is more action game than RPG.

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

Don’t expect to tank anything at all. ANet broke tanking twofold. first off they removed any semblance of aggro control. Second they added spiky damage that you need to use some kind of in game mechanic to avoid rather than passive stats, as they will overwhelm even the highest of stat combos.

By tanking damage, I meant to imply not tanking aggro control, just all the tools a traditional tank use to survive damage. Apologies if that was unclear.

Posted by: Bragdras.9572

Bragdras.9572

You have to understand that support doesn’t mean better healing all the time, the best form of support in GW2 is to outright prevent damage, rather than mitigating it, blind, block, reflect, control, etc is what makes support a very real and effective strategy in guild wars 2, the only problem that reduces the need for support is the amount of exploits (boat skip, thankfully fixed is one of the many exploit), overpowered “mechanics” like corner stacking, and faulty AI like the spider queen only using her AOE at range.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Just drop support go 100% dps it beat every content in the game not counting spvp.
By trying to do something else you are just gimping yourself. The game is all about DPS.

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

I have created a support guardian. I tank, heal, buff, dps… its not a support class per se more of a hybrid build which is about as good as it’s going to get towards a pure support class

digiowl.9620

By tanking damage, I meant to imply not tanking aggro control, just all the tools a traditional tank use to survive damage. Apologies if that was unclear.

Sorry if it seemed like it corrected. I was more elaborating/venting.

digiowl.9620

You have to understand that support doesn’t mean better healing all the time, the best form of support in GW2 is to outright prevent damage, rather than mitigating it, blind, block, reflect, control, etc is what makes support a very real and effective strategy in guild wars 2, the only problem that reduces the need for support is the amount of exploits (boat skip, thankfully fixed is one of the many exploit), overpowered “mechanics” like corner stacking, and faulty AI like the spider queen only using her AOE at range.

Reinforcing the notion that this is a action game (more like a shooter or fighting game) than a RPG, as most of those are not affected much beyond a few traits (and often outright negated by mob design).

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I laugh at all berserkers like you, because I buff myself and heal myself while I watch you people basically throw yourselves at the enemy and blow yourself up into a thousand tiny pieces.

P.S: Keep going berserker in PvP, I love the free one-hit kills.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

digiowl.9620

I laugh at all berserkers like you, because I buff myself and heal myself while I watch you people basically throw yourselves at the enemy and blow yourself up into a thousand tiny pieces.

P.S: Keep going berserker in PvP, I love the free one-hit kills.

One more example of how the 3 modes, one balance concept is messing up the game. zerker is massively OP in PVE, but a liability in PVP.

The sad part is that the core of this issue is not with profession skill design, but with the lazy nature of mob design.

Late game mobs, even trash ones, are so health fat that anything but zerkers get stuck fighting endless respawning waves of mobs.

And control is not a option, as their duration to recharge ratio makes them a futile gesture even before considering defiant.

So people skip and/or zerker zerg rush their way to their true goals.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

They easily could make healing matter quite a bit.

For example, they could introduce an encounter where there’s constant uncleansable DoTs thrown around such that you need a healer to constantly group heal to keep the party on the safe side.

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

The OP has a completely valid point, though the focus is too much on healing.

Neither support nor control are valid playstyles in and of themselves. DPS rules this game. It’s really the only primary role, and that’s part of what makes combat stale.

While I would love for there to be another primary role besides DPS, I don’t see that happening anytime soon. Maybe 3 years down the line, but ANet designed this game in a way that expects every player in a group to be primarily DPS, and they’re unlikely to want to shake the game up and risk backlash from the current user base. Other roles besides DPS, if they happen at all, would be a slow phasing in over time, but don’t expect to see a primary role of healing ever.

If a non-dps is what you want to play, don’t waste your time here. You’ll have to play non-dps roles in another game.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

For example, they could introduce an encounter where there’s constant uncleansable DoTs thrown around such that you need a healer to constantly group heal to keep the party on the safe side.

And then one player drops a water field and the party spam blast finishers to get their health back up mid fight. All in dps gear. I don’t even know what you guys are talking about, dps groups are the ones who have the most boons active since they know how to support their party properly mid fight with blocks, reflection, fury, might, etc. just because you can’t watch yourself bring hp bars up or tank doesn’t mean support doesn’t have a roll, it just means you don’t like the kind of support present in this game, in which case I suggest you stop playing since obviously you can’t comprehend it.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

And then one player drops a water field and the party spam blast finishers to get their health back up mid fight. All in dps gear. I don’t even know what you guys are talking about, dps groups are the ones who have the most boons active since they know how to support their party properly mid fight with blocks, reflection, fury, might, etc. just because you can’t watch yourself bring hp bars up or tank doesn’t mean support doesn’t have a roll, it just means you don’t like the kind of support present in this game, in which case I suggest you stop playing since obviously you can’t comprehend it.

How would I know it’s a water field and not an aoe blind field? What if I don’t have a blast finisher, or it’s on cooldown? What if the field is 20 ft to the left?

Support is an afterthought, a secondary aspect to DPS.

Shockwave.1230

Some of the things that need to change in order to make support and control a primary party role:

• Defiance (as it exists, it currently destroys any opportunity of a control role)
  • Recharge time of control effects (daze, stun, knockdown, launch, etc.)
  • Availability of conditions (blind, weakness, fear, chill, cripple, vulnerability, etc.)
  • Durations of support/control effects (Feedback, Swirling Winds, Line of Warding, Black Powder, etc.)
  • Attack frequency of enemies
  • Ground targeted/AoE AI
  • AI prioritization of DPS, Support, Control roles

This wouldn’t even be everything, plus these are high level concepts that need modified. This is why the game as it exists in production will not see Support/Control roles until a couple of years down the line at least, if ever.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It is interesting that people usually talk about how DPS is the only viable role.
Funnily enough in order to maximize and make said role useful you have to utilize support, but for some reason people seems to completely ignore that.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

You mean like the third floor of the tower of Nightmares?

Believe me, my support characters found that place pretty much a stroll, with time left over to use a spatula on some of the glass cannon remains I’d stumble over on the way.

Between the upcoming reduction of vigor dodge-o-rama and things like constant toxin, I’d say there’s a concerted push to make berserker gear actually quite questionable as the load-out of choice.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Shockwave.1230

It is interesting that people usually talk about how DPS is the only viable role.
Funnily enough in order to maximize and make said role useful you have to utilize support, but for some reason people seems to completely ignore that.

It’s more about people dodging effectively when they use DPS builds actually. Party support hardly exists, and where it does, it’s largely passive.

lordkrall.7241

It’s more about people dodging effectively when they use DPS builds actually. Party support hardly exists, and where it does, it’s largely passive.

Oh?
I was under the impression that most DPS builds focused around having high amounts of Might and long duration of Fury. Both of which are applied due to Support.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Shockwave.1230

Oh?
I was under the impression that most DPS builds focused around having high amounts of Might and long duration of Fury. Both of which are applied due to Support.

Yup, those things to get the might and fury are largely fire and forget and reapply upon recharge. Very passive, easy to use stuff.

lordkrall.7241

Passive would suggest that it gives you all those stacks of Might without any player interaction, which I am quite sure isn’t the case. And thus it is made by Support.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

AH Guardian.

Shockwave.1230

Passive would suggest that it gives you all those stacks of Might without any player interaction, which I am quite sure isn’t the case. And thus it is made by Support.

In a lot of the popular builds you’ll see people use, it doesn’t really require much active thought if any to get might stacks and fury. Just fire off the skill and forget about it and reuse once it’s recharged. You’ll see some groups that might call out when a fire field is dropped at which point everyone uses their blast finisher, but that’s the extent of thinking required.

It’s mostly passive, once around every 30 seconds that people use those support skills.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Battle Presence Guardian with empowering might, 60% crit chance, and +90% might duration!

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

lordkrall.7241

In a lot of the popular builds you’ll see people use, it doesn’t really require much active thought if any to get might stacks and fury. *Just fire off the skill and forget about it and reuse once it’s recharged. * You’ll see some groups that might call out when a fire field is dropped at which point everyone uses their blast finisher, but that’s the extent of thinking required.

It’s mostly passive, once around every 30 seconds that people use those support skills.

Which makes it an active skill rather than a passive.
But then again, why can’t Support be passive in some cases?
Just because you don’t think about using it doesn’t mean you don’t use it after all.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Shockwave.1230

Which makes it an active skill rather than a passive.
But then again, why can’t Support be passive in some cases?
Just because you don’t think about using it doesn’t mean you don’t use it after all.

I think we’re just talking semantics. To me, a player who used to play Guild Wars maining a Monk actively identifying and utilizing different skills ever couple seconds or less to prevent and recover from damage and debuffs, using a skill every 30 seconds is very passive. Just as I’m sure to people who played WoW using a skill for its effects every 1-2 minutes is very passive.

The point I’m driving at, is that DPS dominates this game. Within PvE there’s little value in controlling enemy movement or timing interrupts, because of passive debuffs on the enemy and passive buffs on the party. While support and control exist, there’s no active awareness required about them. It makes combat very shallow and stale for someone like me.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

In a lot of the popular builds you’ll see people use, it doesn’t really require much active thought if any to get might stacks and fury. Just fire off the skill and forget about it and reuse once it’s recharged. You’ll see some groups that might call out when a fire field is dropped at which point everyone uses their blast finisher, but that’s the extent of thinking required.

How is healing any more skill intensive? Even worse, regeneration stacks duration do you only have to check whether it’s active whereas with might it stacks intensity; you want to keep up high might stacks rather than a few, and you need to make sure your short term stacks don’t override long teens ones, crippling group dps (major examples being empowering might and forceful Greatsword, they aren’t as good as they look when people are using lightning hammer on fire field and for great justice since you get your 20s stacks replaced by 5s stacks. Of course I’m guessing you’ve never run in an organised group so you wouldn’t know the little intricacies of high level tactics which involve plenty of support, and when necessary chaining CC against brutal trash mobs to stop them firing off lethal skills. Stacking vulnerability and capping it also requires a lot of attention to the stacks themselves and whether your skills are on cooldown.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Shockwave.1230

How is healing any more skill intensive? Even worse, regeneration stacks duration do you only have to check whether it’s active whereas with might it stacks intensity; you want to keep up high might stacks rather than a few, and you need to make sure your short term stacks don’t override long teens ones, crippling group dps (major examples being empowering might and forceful Greatsword, they aren’t as good as they look when people are using lightning hammer on fire field and for great justice since you get your 20s stacks replaced by 5s stacks. Of course I’m guessing you’ve never run in an organised group so you wouldn’t know the little intricacies of high level tactics which involve plenty of support, and when necessary chaining CC against brutal trash mobs to stop them firing off lethal skills. Stacking vulnerability and capping it also requires a lot of attention to the stacks themselves and whether your skills are on cooldown.

I was actually referring to FGJ and Fire blast finishers without completley saying so. The might intensity duration issues you are referring to simply come down to people not utilizing low duration might in their build.

But honestly the might stacks being at 25 all the time only impacts the time in which an enemy is defeated.

FGJ and fire blast finishers are still very passive. Fire and forget like I said, use upon recharge. Tell people a firefield drops everyone using their blast finisher. Or just run a LH ele and have warriors, guardians, whoever chain fire field drops, while everyone stacks.

It’s not intricate, it’s figure it out once and do it over and over and over.

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

This is incorrect. It was advertized as having Damage, Control & Support as roles.

Right now Control is laughable. Many MMOs control characters can drop entire sets of mobs out of a fight for a minute. in GW2 I can turn a mob to stone for 1.5 seconds. or root a guy for 3 seconds while a team mate gets 5 more feet away. The balancing in this game is absolutely PvP minded.

Support is …. i dunno.. it’s spotty.. from none to ok. Occasionally you’ll get aegis to help everyone block that massive boss attack, but most of the time the number of hits people are taking makes it humorous. Regen.. I don’t know how I feel about it.. so much of support is like 3% here 1% there.. it’s not very satisfying. I certainly don’t feel like notice my support is making a big difference.

lordkrall.7241

I think we’re just talking semantics. To me, a player who used to play Guild Wars maining a Monk actively identifying and utilizing different skills ever couple seconds or less to prevent and recover from damage and debuffs, using a skill every 30 seconds is very passive.

But that is not the meaning of the word passive.
The word passive suggest NO active interaction at all.
Maintaining might stacks is a VERY active job (unless everyone is running Warriors with Forceful Greatsword and 75% crit chance)

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square