Can we be honest for a second?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: defrule.7236

defrule.7236

The way I see it, the content they realise now is like giving a boy more and more DVDs. He might get entertained on each new DVD for a while but it will wear off and you need to keep supplying DVDs.

At some point you’re better for just buying him a lego set and let him create his own content.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The way I see it, the content they realise now is like giving a boy more and more DVDs. He might get entertained on each new DVD for a while but it will wear off and you need to keep supplying DVDs.

At some point you’re better for just buying him a lego set and let him create his own content.

What you’re describing is the difference between theme park MMOs and sandbox MMOs. Sandbox MMOs tend not to be as popular over all.

Possibly because some people don’t know how to make their own fun. They need fun provided for them.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure how your response applies, but thanks for the feedback! =)

What I mean is that forum posters exist in their own little world where things that are of great importance to us are pretty much ignored by everyone else. Like a physics professor who can’t understand why most people aren’t excited about advancements in his field of expertise.

Ahh..so you are agreeing. Lol, I’m a bit slow. As I said, I wonder just what percentage of the playerbase is of such a mindset, and how that affects what the Devs release. =)

Vayne.8563

I’m not sure how your response applies, but thanks for the feedback! =)

What I mean is that forum posters exist in their own little world where things that are of great importance to us are pretty much ignored by everyone else. Like a physics professor who can’t understand why most people aren’t excited about advancements in his field of expertise.

Ahh..so you are agreeing. Lol, I’m a bit slow. As I said, I wonder just what percentage of the playerbase is of such a mindset, and how that affects what the Devs release. =)

I had a mind set when I was younger. Somewhere along the way I must have misplaced it. lol

I think the devs, over all, are well-intentioned. They make the choices they make based on the information they have.

I believe they have more information about their game than we do.

It’s entirely possible that they don’t always interpret that information correctly, but they must do okay some of the time.

To read these forums sometimes, you’d think the entire staff was like the bad guy in a Robert Ludlum novel.

Posted by: Spira.4578

Spira.4578

I don’t really hear any moaning in-game, then I hop on the forums where everything is all in one place and people can crowd together.

That’s because those players are not playing the game anymore but would still gladly do if there would be more things to do ingame.

This is a feature pack, not content pack.

Exactly. And that’s why I gave a better example – wardrobe system. It benefit both new and old players and gave them more things to do.

What this will do is add more veterans in the long run instead of satisfying whiny veterans now who will only whine again when they are done playing with their new toys and get bored with them.

And what do you think will happen with the new players once they turn level 80 and get bored of the content too? We’ll get more “whiners”.

Anet is a business on top of a game developer, they need to bring in new customers as well as have old ones coming back day after day.

Exactly. So why aren’t players coming back?

If their statistics (that we don’t have access to) say

Colin Johanson said that they were surprised on the downed state results (2 years after release and many beta tests before that). It’s hard to get all the required info just by looking at the statistics that you have. Having a display of some statistics doesn’t mean you will automatically know what players want most.

it would be beneficial to focus on drawing more new players into reaching endgame,

Ok. Let me ask you this. Imagine you have a bottle with holes on it’s bottom. You start to pour water in it and notice that the bottle is leaking. In order to make the bottle full, what would you rather do?
fix the holes and have the water bottled up full, or just pour in even more water?
What would happen when you would run out of water to pour in the bottle?
If you would have fixed the holes before, you would remain with a full bottle.
If you wouldn’t, even the new water in the bottle will still pour out.

Bringing in new players is important, but keeping them is important as well.

but I do know that newer players often times will stop playing because they can’t figure certain things out, get frustrated, and give up.

Same as players will stop playing because they get bored.
Check guild logs for example. Most players stop playing after they reach level 80, not before that. And before you say anything, I run a guild which was focusing on helping new players out for a lot of time. There was just 1 girl that didn’t reach level 80, but the reason why she stopped playing was because she wasn’t using a mouse and the whole game in general felt too dynamic for her.

It’s not much different than an employee saying their boss is stupid and doesn’t know how to do his job

As soon as ANET starts paying me, I’ll agree with this 100%.

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

The thing that people never talk about when they dismiss out of hand the concerns of the vocal minority is that there are occasions when they can actually be a pretty representative sampling of the feelings of the playerbase.. perhaps more passionate, but not hugely different in substance.

In order to predict an election you don’t have to go out and ask every single person in america how they’re going to vote, in other words.

I look at the forums as the canary in the coal mine.

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

The reason why I’m writing this is because I LOVE Guild Wars 2.

Oh boy…

Ziggy says there’s an 85% chance your here to save GW2 by writing an insightful post on the forums that will bring about a transcendent level of communication between the players and the developers the likes of which has never been seen in the history of online gaming, which will prompt the return of Heroes/Henchies to Tyria, which in turn will be a key element in the creation of the first true Artificial Intelligence.

I anticipate that day with baited breath. Who brings the popcorn?

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Hmm, in a way that’s what I meant. I just don’t really know how to express it in a good way.
What I wanted to say is that while you’re leveling you still have a different experience. You’re becoming stronger, you gain new skills and you’re basically learning how to play that class. Once you’re done with it, you’ll end up doing things like doing daily dungeon runs to get your exotic armor…

I never cared for best-in-slot, I got lv80 content done with jury-rigged Traits and Masterwork lv75 armor. I remember this because I didn’t like the look for Exalted or Masquerade, compared to Feathered.

… doing daily wb boss runs, doing daily fractal runs, doing daily gathering/crafting runs, ect. It all starts to cycle.

I’ve never had a schedule, but I would do the appropriate content for whatever item I wanted, like a single Exotic Fractals bag, or Infusing rings (this is when I played with my friend, I did Fractals every day mostly to play with them). Pick and choosing what World Boss I liked to fight (Mark II Golem is pretty fun early in the morning, with not so many people there, but that was pre-Megasever), but I never did a run of gathering or crafting. I pick up materials wherever I go and I rarely craft. I played SPvP before Reward Tracks, and since I have nine characters I’m also doing other Personal Story’s, WvW, and watching dungeon cutscenes (which has the threat of getting me kicked).

Of course you can spice things up by doing other fun stuff like going on a tour of a zone or something like that. The guild i’m running is well aware of that, that’s why we’re doing weekly tours of zones while another member talks about the lore and stuff like that – just so players (both old and new) can get immersed ingame. We’re doing hide and seek events and things like that, just so we can do more non-daily things to make the ingame experience more dynamic.

That sounds boring as hell.

But the main problem still remains. Many players feel like the late game is stagnating. That doesn’t mean that the game doesn’t offer much when you start playing it (cause it does – I still believe that as a core game, GW2 has way more to offer than any other mmorpg on the market) or even when you play it for a year and more. It’s just that after doing the same thing over and over again, you get bored of it eventually, that’s why new and fresh things are extremely important not just for GW2 but anything in life, really :p

I think this is the only time “do what you love” is apt. The idea is that if you love it, you can’t get bored, although my experience I just described wasn’t monotonous like you’ve detailed.

Spira.4578

Yepp, With daily runs I meant you only do it once since there’s a cap, but you don’t have to do all of that every day. You do what you like/need.

You might find lore related things boring, but that’s what some players to do actually have fun. If there would be new things ingame that would be perfect, since we could be doing that instead of creating “boring” things like that.

And about loving something and not getting bored.. this only works in theory.
For example, if you love pizza and keep eating it, eventually you’ll get sick of it and won’t want to eat it again (or at least for some time).

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

WE NEED END GAME for love of god END game raids something that will give progress PLS arena net

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Yepp, With daily runs I meant you only do it once since there’s a cap, but you don’t have to do all of that every day. You do what you like/need.

You might find lore related things boring, but that’s what some players to do actually have fun. If there would be new things ingame that would be perfect, since we could be doing that instead of creating “boring” things like that.

For example, if you love pizza and keep eating it, eventually you’ll get sick of it and won’t want to eat it again (or at least for some time).

Sadly ( and not to me) anet is focused on story telling, which is fantastic, for me. But i have to say, back in LS1 the people i talked to (maybe a few hundred), said they did care.It’s sad for me, since i want anet to tell a good story, but i truly feel like the majority, really don’t care. While having a story behind actions is great for an mmo, telling a story, however is pretty lame. At least in many eyes I’ve talked to.

As a matter of fact, most people that played GW remember bits and pieces of the story, but ultimately could care less about it. Were missions a better way to tell the story? Meh. So far it seems to me, there a a pretty large base that really don’t give too much a dime about story, they simple what to move on to the next thing.
This is DRASTICALLY true for people that mostly WvW and PvP, they simply could care less about a story. “gimme something to hit”

Bottom line, i really cant find a whole lot of people taht give a crap about the story (sorry anet staff, whom which i care deeply about) but it is soo secondary to “what i can get” out of it, it makes it feel trivial.

i hope that will change, since i enjoy it, but it seems to me it’s so far out of peoples minds it’s like a bad fortune cookie…

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

@Spira.4578 im whit you bro this game is suffering from fan-boys and no real end game just stupid boring dress up game in the end
Chasing skin is worse million times then chasing progression in MMo

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

@Spira.4578 im whit you bro this game is suffering from fan-boys and no real end game just stupid boring dress up game in the end

I’m on Spira’s side, but you sir are clearly in the wrong game if you want to chase Stats. GW2 was NEVER EVER EVER supposed to have vertical progression grind, it was supposed to be horizontal progression(added skills, traits, weapon sets, skins, etc). What we have atm is really neither since we have had 5 traits per profession added, and mostly Gem Store skins.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Vayne.8563

This game, like Guild Wars 1, was always supposed to be about skins. When ascended gear came out, the Guild Wars 1 player base was up in arms, so much so that even die hard fans left the game…over a single new tier of gear.

This game was sold to be a game without vertical progression. So cosmetic gear is what this game is about and why so many play it.

Vayne.8563

WE NEED END GAME for love of god END game raids something that will give progress PLS arena net

You won’t get the kind of raids or experience here you’re looking for. The posts like this and the other one you made are hurting the OP’s position. The OP, I’m pretty sure isn’t asking for the kind of stuff you’re asking for.

Boneheart.3561

I have been eating pizza for nearly thirty years. Unfortunately, I don’t think this text will convey the gravity with which I state that. Perhaps you have just never found the thing(s) you love.

I don’t exactly care about the Daily limit, and there is nothing I will ever “need” since it’s a video game. It’s rare that I’ll do something with a Daily limit more than once in a day, but not unheard of.

I find “tours” and hide-and-seek boring. Cleaving someone’s skull in half and speaking to someone/reading a book about the area of that cleaved skull interest me, not necessarily in that order.

I mentioned in another post, probably not this thread, that I think the game’s designed to afford you the time to play other games. As in games that facilitate gameplay/content you favor, not to fill in time between Guild Wars 2 (which would be silly).

Spira.4578

I have been eating pizza for nearly thirty years.

Not every day.

Unfortunately, I don’t think this text will convey the gravity with which I state that. Perhaps you have just never found the thing(s) you love.

Or perhaps you should stop presuming things if you know nothing about a person.

I find “tours” and hide-and-seek boring. Cleaving someone’s skull in half and speaking to someone/reading a book about the area of that cleaved skull interest me, not necessarily in that order.

Cool. Maybe you should find another game then, since gw2 is lore and story oriented.
Just giving the same advice as you tried to give me.

I mentioned in another post, probably not this thread, that I think the game’s designed to afford you the time to play other games. As in games that facilitate gameplay/content you favor, not to fill in time between Guild Wars 2 (which would be silly).

The game is pretty casual, so you might get that feeling, yes.
If you look from the economic point of view it’s better to have more potential costumers than less.
Adding in features and content that would still keep the game casual yet it could give the already bored players more things to do ingame, would at least in this case be a win win situation, both for ANET and the community. I understand that the lategame content isn’t your thing, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a thing for other players.

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

Sadly ( and not to me) anet is focused on story telling, which is fantastic, for me. But i have to say, back in LS1 the people i talked to (maybe a few hundred), said they did care.It’s sad for me, since i want anet to tell a good story, but i truly feel like the majority, really don’t care. While having a story behind actions is great for an mmo, telling a story, however is pretty lame. At least in many eyes I’ve talked to.

As a matter of fact, most people that played GW remember bits and pieces of the story, but ultimately could care less about it. Were missions a better way to tell the story? Meh. So far it seems to me, there a a pretty large base that really don’t give too much a dime about story, they simple what to move on to the next thing.
This is DRASTICALLY true for people that mostly WvW and PvP, they simply could care less about a story. “gimme something to hit”

Bottom line, i really cant find a whole lot of people taht give a crap about the story (sorry anet staff, whom which i care deeply about) but it is soo secondary to “what i can get” out of it, it makes it feel trivial.

i hope that will change, since i enjoy it, but it seems to me it’s so far out of peoples minds it’s like a bad fortune cookie…

Honestly, people might care more about the story if it was any good. The writing is of the same quality as a Twilight novel and the characters are either completely forgettable or incredibly annoying.

I’d love for ANet to tell a good story, but in order to do that they have to seriously up their writing game.

Boneheart.3561

I have been eating pizza for nearly thirty years.

Not every day.

Unfortunately, I don’t think this text will convey the gravity with which I state that. Perhaps you have just never found the thing(s) you love.

Or perhaps you should stop presuming things if you know nothing about a person.

Cool. Maybe you should find another game then, since gw2 is lore and story oriented.
Just giving the same advice as you tried to give me.

The game is pretty casual, so you might get that feeling, yes.
If you look from the economic point of view it’s better to have more potential costumers than less.
Adding in features and content that would still keep the game casual yet it could give the already bored players more things to do ingame, would at least in this case be a win win situation, both for ANET and the community. I understand that the lategame content isn’t your thing, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a thing for other players.

No, I don’t have the money for pizza everyday, that’s horrible spending for non-upperclass citizens. But I have been playing the game for two years every day, if that counts.

I’ve made no assumption, “perhaps” is a word used to express uncertainty or possibility.

I gave no advice, I offered a point of view to better sculpt your critique or understanding of this game. The game facilitates my desire for bloodshed well enough, I’ll likely be here ’til I or ArenaNet perish.

Stop making these assumptions and being so hostile, no one will take you seriously.
I will give this one advice, though: let ArenaNet worry about their money. If you’re even reading this.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

actually LS has not been well received. that’s a myth, it’s been well received by a fraction of the population and by the media. That’s it. LS was a solution to a problem which came when Anet changed direction on us in Nov 2012 towards an all dungeon focus. It was never supposed to be. We were to receive updates to the personal story dungeons, the meta and other events on every map monthly. That never occured so naturally people became disgusted because that’s the reason they bought this title because it promised to be different from all of the other dungeon/gear grind games out there.

What’s ironic is that now that there’s even the slightest conversation about this dungeon focus being a mistake and their desire to return to their roots to get their playerbase that left back, all of the dungeoneers who’ve been nothing but nasty to the rest of us for 2 years here in the forums are crying out saying Anet isn’t being loyal. That’s not true, for the first time ever since this game launched, they are being loyal to their original plans.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Vayne.8563

actually LS has not been well received. that’s a myth, it’s been well received by a fraction of the population and by the media. That’s it. LS was a solution to a problem which came when Anet changed direction on us in Nov 2012 towards an all dungeon focus. It was never supposed to be. We were to receive updates to the personal story dungeons, the meta and other events on every map monthly. That never occured so naturally people became disgusted because that’s the reason they bought this title because it promised to be different from all of the other dungeon/gear grind games out there.

What’s ironic is that now that there’s even the slightest conversation about this dungeon focus being a mistake and their desire to return to their roots to get their playerbase that left back, all of the dungeoneers who’ve been nothing but nasty to the rest of us for 2 years here in the forums are crying out saying Anet isn’t being loyal. That’s not true, for the first time ever since this game launched, they are being loyal to their original plans.

What’s your evidence that this LS hasn’t been well received? Just curious.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Honestly, people might care more about the story if it was any good. The writing is of the same quality as a Twilight novel and the characters are either completely forgettable or incredibly annoying.

I’d love for ANet to tell a good story, but in order to do that they have to seriously up their writing game.

I really don’t find the writing all that bad, i find the method of delivery makes it really tough for a player to get into it. I also think the fact that we have to wait 2 weeks or more to experience it, makes it extremely difficult to follow. Having to replay much of it for achievements, makes it lose it’s impact as well.

The cycle of releases also probably needs to stop, if they released it in bulk, i think more people would be able to see the story unfold and be more into it. Unfortunately, it’s not the “TV series” a lot of players are wanting to watch. I think given the constraints they have to work with (engine, development time, etc) i would make a far better “movie” than a TV series.

Note to self: don’t try to write posts on my phone…

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

A lot of players craft for the XP, and are left with a pile of goods they can’t use as a result. Some gets salvaged, but a lot of it ends up on the TP, and as Vayne mentioned, the multi-server TP means that everyone competes with each other for sales where in most games each server has its own economy. This isn’t something they can change without completely tearing apart the economic and crafting systems and would cause more problems than it sol;ves: for example, crafting mats would become way way way more expensive and shortages would be common.

global market is not the problem: gw2’s crafting system has been conceived to be a tool for exping (in a very boring and expensive way at it) and not as production tool.
Think at it: in gw2 you are never the producer, you are only a distributor (because everyone can get the same material as you, and craft exactly the same things you can providing they don’t collapse from boredom after “discovering” for the 48487459 time the same old pattern). There is no challenge, there is no margin for experiments, and more than anything else: there is nothing that makes your item unique.
In other mmorpgs I played in the past, you could craft to your heart content and can even make crafting your full time ingame activity, with people that would search of you when they wanted your crafting skills or a particular item/potion/whatever that only you could do.
The high rarity of the “offer”, would allow you to make your price, and from that you would get your profit.
In said games, there was even the possibility to enchant armors and weapons (with higher failure rate the more you tried to enchant of course, and failing an high enchantment would make an adult man cry for days), and you could also apply “temporary” enchantments (which were still extremely useful) for a much more modest amount of money.
I could continue indefinitely, but I think you all get the picture already: personally, I really prefer to think that GW2 has no crafting system at all, and it is just a different way to exp a fresh character, because should I consider it a real crafting system I’d need to compare it to said other games and the outcome would be devastating.