Can we be more vocal against time-constrants

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

If the item we’re crafting is account-bound and will not have any market value affect, why must it take 5 days to craft a piece of armour. It’s just limiting the gear progression to a month for a set.

I know some people will defend that you don’t ‘have’ to craft it, but at the same time why are we, as gamers, who have specific timeline, being forced to take several days to craft something, we already have the mats for, if we so choose to craft the item.

I’m all for doing dungeons for dungeon skins/armour, but the limitation in armour stat crafting is getting irritating to say the least. Can’t craft anymore sentinel until MF comes back either (20g for a single piece).

Vote “No” on time-constraints!

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I agree, I personally do not like time-gated content like this.

However, I prefer vertical progression where the gating of content is done through progression of your character. As that is not really an option, they add in these time gates.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Them:“Hey guys here’s a new armor to play with”

Us:“Great lets go…”

Them:“It’s yours in just 30-45 short days”

Ugh!

On the bright side: At least you know it will be obsolete in 6 months.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I wish that we were more vocal about everything.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

You misunderstood. The end item is account bound by the time gated mats are not.

They will be rare and valuable due to the time constraints, thus giving crafters a stable market since everyone will want these items to craft the new account bound gear. That is the reason for the time gate.

Otherwise people will pump these out, craft all ascended gear in a week and then be bored again. This is the price we pay for not having a gear treadmill. We need the gear we do get to take a long time to craft since it lasts forever.

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

It’s something that helps level the playing field. You could have someone that has all the money and mats needed to craft a full set on day one. Then you have someone that can only craft one piece. Let’s look at it differently. People who have more time to invest into the game won’t get a distinct advantage over those who have less time.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I think the materials to create them are time gated (like quartz is now), not the actual outcome. The time gated aspect is an attempt to make crafting more profitable and the items more rare, meaning the items to craft won’t be account bound (tier 7 materials). So, you could just craft the mat and sell it off or buy all you need from the TP and craft it all in a day. It’s the same way ascended stuff is now, it takes time to acquire the pieces.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Would OP (& the rest) like more “grind-gated” content instead, like the current Legendary fiasco?

How about you post a better idea then instead of joining the “Wha-Wha ANet isn´t doing something exactly as I like it” crowd.

I´m glad to read your ideas, as I´m totally out of luck coming up with a better way of creating unique equipment than what ANet is planning now .

Polish > hype

munkiman.3068

I’m not a fan of time gated stuff. There are plenty of ways to make things more rare, certain areas/events drop certain things. Event chains that need to be completed to gain access to certain items, rare recipes, rare salvages. But with the global marketplace and thousands of people doing things and selling things it’s a lot harder to create rarity without some sort of time gating mechanic or crazy RNG algorithms.

TooBz.3065

Would OP (& the rest) like more “grind-gated” content instead, like the current Legendary fiasco?

How about you post a better idea then instead of joining the “Wha-Wha ANet isn´t doing something exactly as I like it” crowd.

I´m glad to read your ideas, as I´m totally out of luck coming up with a better way of creating unique equipment than what ANet is planning now .

That’s a terrible choice. How would you prefer your favorite game be ruined?

HawkMeister.4758

That’s a terrible choice. How would you prefer your favorite game be ruined?

Well it is what it is. Munkinman described it perfectly.
I don´t see what can beat timegated content.
It´s a hell lot of better than any RNG carp or the “grind-gated” sh..tuff we have now.

The only thing I see suffering here is the instant gratification drive everybody seems to cherish.

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

TooBz.3065

Allow me to be the first to say that yes, I play games for instant and continuous gratification. I’m actually not being sarcastic. That’s why I play games — gratification. If it’s not gratifying I don’t do it. I have better ways to spend my free time than doing
things that I don’t enjoy.

That’s not to say that I need to get everything instantly, but I want to enjoy the process of getting it. I don’t want tedious and boring roadblocks put before me. I don’t want to farm 1000 skelks in order to get 25 powerful blood to forge 1 charged drop of blood essence per day. (which is the worst of both worlds)

munkiman.3068

Allow me to be the first to say that yes, I play games for instant and continuous gratification. I’m actually not being sarcastic. That’s why I play games — gratification. If it’s not gratifying I don’t do it. I have better ways to spend my free time than doing

That’s not to say that I need to get everything instantly, but I want to enjoy the process of getting it. I don’t want tedious and boring roadblocks put before me. I don’t want to farm 1000 skelks in order to get 25 powerful blood to forge 1 charged drop of blood essence per day. (which is the worst of both worlds)

I can’t say i disagree with you, but there is a balance to getting the stuff you want quickly and easily, versus some tedium toward the goal. One of the biggest issues facing the game is that there is too much tedium which would lead one to believe that slapping a time gate on top of it would make it worse. So, they really need to create a system where a player isn’t farming 1000 skelk to get one drop of “super-charged-vampire blood of insta kill”. I’m hoping with the reward system they’ve outlined, it’ll make the time gate feel much less obtrusive.

HawkMeister.4758

I don’t want tedious and boring roadblocks put before me. I don’t want to farm 1000 skelks in order to get 25 powerful blood to forge 1 charged drop of blood essence per day. (which is the worst of both worlds)

Let´s complain how to craft the new stuff when we actually know what ANet has planed for us to do.

And btw, your example is pretty much what everybody is already doing in game.
Running CoF endlessly to buy stuff from the market or other Dungeons for their specific gear.
Orr´s karma gear is actually the only exception to the grind.

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

TooBz.3065

I can’t say i disagree with you, but there is a balance to getting the stuff you want quickly and easily, versus some tedium toward the goal. One of the biggest issues facing the game is that there is too much tedium which would lead one to believe that slapping a time gate on top of it would make it worse. So, they really need to create a system where a player isn’t farming 1000 skelk to get one drop of “super-charged-vampire blood of insta kill”. I’m hoping with the reward system they’ve outlined, it’ll make the time gate feel much less obtrusive.

Me too. The problem I have is that I haven’t seen the reward system in action yet. I think things would be better if they started giving out the rewards first and added the materials later. That way we have a better understanding of how things work and can nod along.

As it stands now, ANet doesn’t have the best track record with rewards and RNG (for example, the AP chests are better than I expected and the WvW chests are worse).

Posted by: Carzor Stelatis.9435

Carzor Stelatis.9435

Running CoF endlessly to buy stuff from the market or other Dungeons for their specific gear.

True, though with CoF (assuming multiple paths, and not just p1 farming) the player at least has the choice of whether to do 3 runs/day to get the grind over with quicker, or 1 run/day to make it less irritating to do. Of course the simpler solution would have been for Anet to honour their pre-release pledge that excessive levels of grinding would not be necessary for gameplay advantages (it would only grant prestige/skins etc. as in GW1), but I think that promise is in too many pieces already for us to put much faith in it.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Let´s complain how to craft the new stuff when we actually know what ANet has planed for us to do.

People aren’t farming CoF to buy stats. They are farming for skins.

And the WvW gear is a better exception, since Anet is handing out medals every day.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

People aren’t farming CoF to buy stats. They are farming for skins.

And the WvW gear is a better exception, since Anet is handing out medals every day.

What skins are people farming CoF for? Do you mean Legendaries? Then yes, you’re right.

CoF, however, is universally farmed for gold. Gold can buy new gear or help someone attain their legendary.

So you’re both right.