Can we design new weapons?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

Or armor for that matter? Could you possibly put in place some sort of art contest, suggestion box, or poll as for what kind of items we would like made? I don’t think anything like this is in place yet and it would be a good opportunity for Anet to involve their community in the game.

It would also help the people who are unsatisfied with what skins are available for their type of armor or weapon. Like for me there aren’t enough dagger and staff skins. So I could send Anet art or a concept and Anet can make a select few over a certain period of time? Like they will make these 5 skins this month or something.

Just a thought.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Am I right in thinking this was something that happened once or twice in the first game? Maybe I’m thinking of lotro..

Anyway +1 for an excellent idea..ah screw it +2

:)

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

+1 nice idea, staff skins are needed!

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

Am I right in thinking this was something that happened once or twice in the first game? Maybe I’m thinking of lotro..

Maybe it did, I honestly have no idea. I never played Gw1… but I can see no harm in allowing the community some input into what they would like made and giving us some involvement with the actual creation of things in the game.

It would allow the community to ask and design what they really want rather than what anet is just going to make. For instance I saw two threads earlier, one was about greatswords generally just being too large to look good and the other was about a lack of good looking staffs. These problems could easily be fixed if Anet did this, or something similar.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Yup.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Design-a-Weapon_%282005%29
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Design-a-Weapon_%282007%29

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Ah thanks for the link! Had no idea my GW1 ele was using a community designed focus

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

nvm i came to late to post link^^

ah i still have another link^^
http://www.guildwars.com/events/contests/designaweapon07/

some of the best skins in GW1 came from this contest

Bone Dragon Staff, Storm Daggers, Dryad Bow, Wayward Wand, Celestial Compass, Draconic Aegis, …

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Some really nice stuff done by those players.

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

From what I remember, many of the weapons designed by the community which were then implemented in GW1 were among some of the most sought after. Not that I participate in this stuff but it’s nice to see what talented people outside of the developer team can come up with and it lends to a broader range of designs which might not be conceived by the team. I wouldn’t expect this to become something common, but they could create another contest at some point for both weapons and armor.

Posted by: Gelltor.3015

Gelltor.3015

Just so long as they don’t make it a poll or something (don’t want a repeat of the new mountain dew flavor fiasco!) :P

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

I’m not sure if this would be a good idea… Here are some of the things people would want that look rather ridiculous.

Attachments:

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Holyblesserx.7618

Holyblesserx.7618

I’m not sure if this would be a good idea… Here are some of the things people would want that look rather ridiculous.

sorry but i disagree i dont think the GW2 population wants to see a Squall gunblade or a Jedi Light saber in GW2 im not taking your post serious. the posted link to the art contest was amazing. the art was awesome and if i saw some those in this game i would be amazed because some of those surpass what is now available.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Or armor for that matter? Could you possibly put in place some sort of art contest, suggestion box, or poll as for what kind of items we would like made? I don’t think anything like this is in place yet and it would be a good opportunity for Anet to involve their community in the game.

It would also help the people who are unsatisfied with what skins are available for their type of armor or weapon. Like for me there aren’t enough dagger and staff skins. So I could send Anet art or a concept and Anet can make a select few over a certain period of time? Like they will make these 5 skins this month or something.

Just a thought.

johanson mentioned in an interview, that while it sounds good, the amount of work in filtering judging etc, is a lot more than just designing weapons, hence its something that is time intensive, so it something if they did in that fashion would only be a one shot.

I however think it can be a good way to add content,
my suggestion
1)players can submit 3d model work of weapons they want to see added
2)Website is created that allows each account to vote for their favorite model
3) If the votes go over a predetermined number, say 100,000, anet gets final say on whether it should be added.
4)Recipe for skin is added to the gemstore (yes recipe it now becomes a craftable recipe)
for every sale of said recipe, creator account gets 1 gem.

This enriches crafting and allows user created content.
anet staff merely has either approve or disapprove of 1 weapon at a time
and implement it in game
anet makes money from sale of fairly desired cosmetic content
creator makes gold and fame for creating a weapon
crafters get the ability to produce new and interesting weapons for those who cant make it themselves.

Posted by: Holyblesserx.7618

Holyblesserx.7618

Just a thought.

johanson mentioned in an interview, that while it sounds good, the amount of work in filtering judging etc, is a lot more than just designing weapons, hence its something that is time intensive, so it something if they did in that fashion would only be a one shot.

my suggestion
3) If the votes go over a predetermined number, say 100,000, anet gets final say on whether it should be added.
4)Recipe for skin is added to the gemstore (yes recipe it now becomes a craftable recipe)

and implement it in game
crafters get the ability to produce new and interesting weapons for those who cant make it themselves.

why not throw them in BL chests?

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

Just a thought.

my suggestion

and implement it in game

why not throw them in BL chests?

Or why not gasp put it in the game as free content! Surely the designer would be more than grateful just to see their work in the game. Or at least a small bonus that doesn’t necessarily have monetary value.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

There was also a contest for guild emblems.