Can we have Bards next expansion?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

No really.. I would love to see a class that uses music to kick ginormous kitten I am sure that a lot of other people would too!

Think about it, ya all made the Legendary Focus The Minstrel, that screams “We were planning to make a Bard (or bard like class) sometime in the future”

So.. how about it Anet?

can ya make us a Bard?

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

you mean Bard like LOTRO Minstrel ?

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: vicious.5683

vicious.5683

like ad&d bard.

STIHL.2489

like ad&d bard.

’m not picky, in fact, I would love to see Anet make their own spin on the Bard, just to see what their creative team could come up with.

Posted by: Rhanoa.3960

Rhanoa.3960

like ad&d bard.

’m not picky, in fact, I would love to see Anet make their own spin on the Bard, just to see what their creative team could come up with.

So-wa… there is a lot of things wrong here especially knowing many of your previous statements. It may very well may not suit your casual play style.

MMORPG’s are not easy, you’re just too PRO!!!

Posted by: Thornwolf.9721

Thornwolf.9721

If we get a Bard I want a tamer for my ranger.

Two pets out at all times, spec focuses on making them kittenes and loosing the ability too switch between them. Id prefer a rifle as a weapon but pistols will do perfectly fine, call it “The Huntsmen” and its done.

STIHL.2489

Two pets out at all times, spec focuses on making them kittenes and loosing the ability too switch between them. Id prefer a rifle as a weapon but pistols will do perfectly fine, call it “The Huntsmen” and its done.

No offence, but that does not sound very “Bard like” it sounds more like a Ranger with a Sidearm.

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

No offence, but that does not sound very “Bard like” it sounds more like a Ranger with a Sidearm.

Attachments:

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

A Bard sounds like a great elite spec for a Mesmer

Posted by: Thornwolf.9721

Thornwolf.9721

Its not supposed to, I was saying if you get bard then I Want this. Sorry for the misunderstanding there.

Posted by: Smiggles.6823

Smiggles.6823

Bard should be a duel-wielding warhorns thief focussed on multi boon giving and daze cc. Make it a low damage high cc support class.

Or new 2 hand weapon based on the lute toy that has initiative based channels that spam high stacks of boons but root you.

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Seems to be quite a bit of bard love going around. Have a sqiuz here:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Bard-Character

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Bard, huh? I guess it could work. Make instruments into kits like the engineer has, but mostly focused on support. One instrument for healing, one for offensive buffs, one for defensive buffs, one for debuffing, and one for inflicting status/conditions?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

STIHL.2489

Its not supposed to, I was saying if you get bard then I Want this. Sorry for the misunderstanding there.

Why should anyone have to get something else if they put Bards into the game?

If they put bards into the game, then you get the chance to enjoy playing a bard in GW2, which should be it’s own reward.

Rhanoa.3960

Attachments:

Rhanoa.3960

If they put bards into the game, then you get the chance to enjoy playing a bard in GW2, which should be it’s own reward.

You’ll need Mastery Points to unlock Bards.

Rhanoa.3960

Bard should be a duel-wielding warhorns thief focussed on multi boon giving and daze cc. Make it a low damage high cc support class.

Or new 2 hand weapon based on the lute toy that has initiative based channels that spam high stacks of boons but root you.

Meta Elite Builders will not allow for this.

Posted by: Dragon.4782

Dragon.4782

I actually made an elite spec for the mesmer called the bard where they had shouts and offhand warhorn!

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

What is the average skill activation time? 1/2 second? 3/4 second? Your bard would get to play 1-3 notes, maybe. And auto-attack would drive me crazy, methinks. Or do they sing? That would be worse.

Unless a bard in an MMO doesn’t work via music, in which case perhaps your vision of a bard needs further explanation. And saying “a bard like Game X” isn’t helpful.

STIHL.2489

Bard, huh? I guess it could work. Make instruments into kits like the engineer has, but mostly focused on support. One instrument for healing, one for offensive buffs, one for defensive buffs, one for debuffing, and one for inflicting status/conditions?

That could work, or maybe do like a Revernant, where you swap between Woodwinds, Percussion, Stringed, Etc in the Utility Abilities.

Or even do that like an Ele, where all your abilities change based on what Instrument style you use.

oooo or maybe have ALL your Abilities change based on the Kit you equip, But te Kit would be the elite Skill, so you can only use one Kit, but. if you Equip the Kit “Drums of Doom”, it changes the effects of all your attacks, and utility abilities.

That could be a lot of fun!

STIHL.2489

You’ll need Mastery Points to unlock Bards.

Why? if it’s an elite spec that would Hero Points, not mastery points, and if it’s and added class it would be unlocked with Cash, not mastery points.

STIHL.2489

What is the average skill activation time? 1/2 second? 3/4 second? Your bard would get to play 1-3 notes, maybe. And auto-attack would drive me crazy, methinks. Or do they sing? That would be worse.

Unless a bard in an MMO doesn’t work via music, in which case perhaps your vision of a bard needs further explanation. And saying “a bard like Game X” isn’t helpful.

Or maybe the bard would just shove their mandolin up your kitten while you are trying to cast a spell on them?

Posted by: Keypek.5716

Keypek.5716

I was hoping for such a class as well. Loved my Minstrel and Skald in DAOC… didn’t play bard much because hibbies were dirty animals. Bard in Rift was fun too. I liked the idea above about them having kits like engis. A flute, harp, drum, and horn kit would be awesome. Ranger would make the most sense to me but mesmer would work also.

Posted by: Fenom.9457

Fenom.9457

I always liked sound magic in games, and it’s sad anet has done so little with it (I guess shouts are sound magic?) How about warhorn and shouts on Mesmer? If they get that and rangers get hunter, I want dual rapid fire pistols for ele and new element

Want to read about a nice mini expansion to make Mordremoth and Zhaitan better?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mini-Expansion-Vengeance/first#post6473305

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

No really.. I would love to see a class that uses music to kick ginormous kitten I am sure that a lot of other people would too!

If this became an elite spec for the third expansion, I would actually start playing my Mesmer more often.

Think about it, ya all made the Legendary Focus The Minstrel, that screams “We were planning to make a Bard (or bard like class) sometime in the future”

Nope, it screams, “We did an April Fools joke about the Minstrel becoming a profession in GW2, and then we introduced the Legendary as a funny reference to that.”

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Sure you can have your Bard (Thief) with a Focus. Then I want a Duelist (Mesmer) with a Mainhand Pistol.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

This is a link to how EQ1 bards were handled. If you have the patience to read down to the singing piece, you’ll get an idea of what twisting was about.

http://everquest.wikia.com/wiki/Bard

The reason I bring this up is that I teckon it would be fun although fatiguing in the long run. As a counterpoint, kiting of any kind in GW2 is a little difficult.

Still, one has ones dreams

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Eh, Anet had a chance to make a Bard role a thing with Siren’s Landing, but unfortunately limited it to only Siren’s Landing. Mechanics for it were also lacking.

That said, it could be an e-spec for a class that doesn’t already use a focus. I’d say warhorn but I don’t want fart tunes.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Posted by: AzureWolf.9150

AzureWolf.9150

A Bard sounds like a great elite spec for a Mesmer

I agree, already some of the Mesmer underwater effects show notes playing and the Bard would seem a great match for an Illusionist.

Posted by: katz.8376

katz.8376

there doesn’t have to be constant music... depends on how it gets played off... could be similar to ele where each instrument (stringed, wind, percussion) grants a different set of weapon effects. could be similar to engi where each instrument counts as a bundle with different utility slot effects... could be some hybrid of both.

in D&D (and therefor DDO in a similar fashion) a bard didn’t sing constantly... it would sing to buff beforehand. and sometimes would sing instead of fighting to grant some circumstantial bonus.
in EQ bards sang constantly, but it was more of an aura effect, and they could fight while using songs... each one granting a different ability, and each one lingering a certain number of seconds after you stopped singing it... so skilled bards would "twist" 2 or 3 (or more) songs together at the same time by starting another song while the effects of the previous still lingered... very button mashing intense... but an interesting mechanic. maybe even an aura effect like revenents have... but being different songs instead of spirits
just some ideas..

bards are typically depicted as light armor wearing (would translate to medium armor in GW2) light weapon using... typically daggers or rapiers... primarily support class. possible weapon list for GW2 would be sword, dagger, horn, focus, shortbow. possibly pistol. actual playstyle would potentially be somewhere between a mesmer and a thief (highly mobile, with some illusionary and redirection stuff thrown in). stuns or charms could be an interesting mechanic. (stuns already been done to death, but charming an enemy and have it fight for you? that’s a bard’s bread and butter! imagine the chaos that could cause in WvW! LOLOL)

i’m all for them introducing a bard class. or even a bard elite spec for thief or mesmer. i would play the kitten out of that!
<3 bards!

Druids of Dhuum [DoD]|Rally Bait [RALY]
~o hai there :D~ LONG LIVE ET

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

I get how this is supposed to be a joke but, kitten does that come off as kittenish. I mean, I’ve less than zero interest as playing as a…bard…that’s somehow able to…kill monsters with bad singing.

Attachments:

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

What, you’ve never heard of Megadeath?!

Posted by: milo.7198

milo.7198

Sigh, i miss my Everquest bard. It was my favourite MMO character. The mechanic for the songs and instruments was very unique. I could usually keep 3 songs twisting. On a good day 4.
So much fun using my Blackfeather Wardrum to speed boost up to the speed of the games fastest mount. Or to use it to kite the giants in Ro and kill them with the beat. Or, when i wanted to explore without confrontation, to use my flute to turn invisible and/or to levitate.
Back when GW2 was coming out, I was ecstatic to hear about the minstrel class. Then, a little disappointed when it turned out to be the mesmer. But, not too disappointed as I main mesmer, along with ranger.
I think Minstrel has the potential for a lot of fun.

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

For bards they’ll probably just give them Facets like revs herald and stick it on a mesmer or thief, since they like taking skills from other professions to make up the new elite specs. Hey at least it would give thieves a support spec.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

STIHL.2489

While I would have loved to get Bard as a stand alone class, with their own elite spec. I suppose making Bard an elite spec off Thief/Mesmer, would also work.

Personally I would like to see it added to Thief over Mesmer, because then maybe they could make a type of Thief that did not feel tacky and cheesy to play.

Posted by: Lancaeron.1524

Lancaeron.1524

Bards are essentially the same as Mesmers, only they would favor bows and arrows, since there no slings and bullets in the Guild Wars universe. Of course, they could always dual-wield pistols.

Posted by: Vindicus.2130

Vindicus.2130

Already has bards. It’s revenant in glint stance with auras turned on. Even plays little musical notes.

Posted by: Artyport.2084

Artyport.2084

Id love a bard Mesmer.
It would get an f5 skill that made all its illusions sing a song based on your mainhand weapon.
Would get a mainhand warhorn
and instrument conjures or kits.

Posted by: Embered.5089

Embered.5089

gw2 doesn’t seem like a game that’s friendly to support-focused classes… but if we get bards, i want enchanters =P

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Hmm, a bard would be very easily tied in to sylvari/norn lore if nothing else.
Actual bards working like repositories of knowledge, history and poetry means that tying it in to the revenant could actually work fantastically too!
Ok, yeah, that’s how I’d want Anet to take the concept if they ever worked on it.
Bard being a revenant elite spec who recited the greatness of whichever legend they happened to be channeling at the time to boost the legend’s ego and urge them to greater feats.
Especially now that legends actually talk to us! I want Shiro to get even more smugly superior when you talk up his achievements and Jalis to join in on the harmonies when you start on the dwarven drinking songs.

Posted by: Thenme.6491

Thenme.6491

Mesmer with trident are allready bards are the not?
Maybe next expansion they can get more music focused skills.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I actually made an elite spec for the mesmer called the bard where they had shouts and offhand warhorn!

But we already have a Tempest. :P

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

If they actually made this (and dear gods I hope they never do), it would end up being a ranger elite spec, will be built around “team support”, and will end up sucking worse at it than all the other classes, their pets will be given new “howl” skills to help in their “songs” and their DPS will be lowered even more.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

I’d only bother with a bard if it can make some sick guitar solos.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

It’s called a “Paragon” and they are a profession that was released with Nightfall.
What I mean to say for those that did not play GW1 is that if they were going to make such a thing, they would have implemented it in this expansion.

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

As long as it is not imposed as a mesmer elite spec… Sure, why not?

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

Here’s two ideas in stream-of-consciousness development:

Engineer: Sonalyst. The Engineer develops technology to reproduce and weaponize sound harmonics, adding Shouts and the Warhorn to their repertoire and becoming the Sonalyst. The class will focus on battlefield control with powerful blasts of compressed sound (such as Thunderclap), and melodies that bewitch the mind and trick the senses (access to Taunt, Fear, and Confuse effects).

The Toolbar is augmented with the Mix/Remix ability which adds additional effects to attacks, such as Reverberate (the next non-1 attack or Shout you use hits twice), Slowdown (add duration/DoT to next attack or Shout), or Reverse (add friendly Ally effects to the next attack or Shout). They could also implement a Resonance mechanic, wherein using skills in conjunction with Shouts can add the effects together for each. For example: using the Thunderclap shout while using Throw Shield may add a knockdown effect to the target area and to each hit, or while using an Overload Shot to increase the AoE and damage of both.

Thief: One-Man-Band. The Thief develops precision skill in every instrument and adapts their Steal trickery to literally steal the show. Mastering the Focus as their muse, the Thief gains several new Kit skills, representing different types of instrument and their symphonic uses, including the x/Focus Dual skill. Wielding a Sword yields the Violin kit, focusing on hindering and debuffing opponents. The Dagger unlocks a Flute, which bolsters and supports allies. The Pistol unlocks the Big Brass, focusing on impact skills, and pushing enemies around and making their ears Bleed. (Possible limitation: each Instrument kit costs nothing to equip, but has a single Ammo charge, meaning it ends after one skill use.)

The One-Man-Band replaces Initiative with Tempo, a similar mechanic cross-bred with the Revenant’s Energy mechanic. Each attack consumes Tempo, and the more Tempo you have, the quicker your skills cool down. Steal becomes Tempo Shift, which functions like a complementary set of Stances. Staccato time greatly increases the speed at which you recover Tempo, but reduces the damage and effects on your attacks. Inversely, Largo time slows down your Tempo recovery, but significantly boosts an attack’s output, possibly adding new effects. (Possible third stance: neutral Allegro)

Feel free to use these ideas, or change them as you see fit.

(edited by Trise.2865)

Posted by: ZombiiDuud.1428

ZombiiDuud.1428

IDK, Bard was my favorite specialization in Rift, it was pure support, and its rotation had it cycling through songs or anthems for the party, it didn’t have a cap on affected targets just all within earshot which was some actual range number. I’d be interested in seeing how anet would do it, I doubt they will but, it could be cool.

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

If you haven’t played season 3 ep 6 then you missed ANets take on bard. If we ever see a bard spec then it will be some form of that.

Classes that could do bard would be Mesmer or Revenant, possibly ranger but doubtful.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Siren_of_Orr