Can we have dark nights? Please?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

What I would really want to have in Gw2, talking about environment and immersion, is a night and day cycle that is more visible…
Right now nights feel like day, there were more than one occasion where I was waiting for the night time and I could’t realize if it was already or not. There was for example a mission of some kind in LA where I had to enter a house at night…I waited and then got bored and went doing some crafting…I missed one night because the transition was so soft that I couldn’t even say that there was a difference…
SO, please make the nights darker or add a checkbox for people that want it, so that the rest that don’t want this to change could be happy too.

Pretty please?!

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Darker nights would be great.

That said, in the meantime, if you have a usable AC weapon, equip it whilst doing crafting. It’ll glow a lovely blue at night, and is rather noticeable. I use the shield and find it quite unmissable - I can’t tell if it’s true night time in some places, but the shield lets me know.

Also, I think most of the hubs have a clock chime of sorts when the time changes, so if you have the sound up whilst hanging around in a city, you might catch the change there - though I don’t recall if all of them do this. Definitely The Grove and Hoelbrak do, and I suspect DR too.

EDIT: Oh, and look at any passing Sylvari. Hopefully their glow is evident enough to tell if it’s night or day.

You can also customise your music to play different stuff at night time.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

(edited by Ceridwen.6703)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

It’s funny op mentions that it’s difficult to tell when it’s night time. Just the other day when I was in one of the maps I was reminded of those old black and white Western Movies (the Cowboys and Indians kind) where their version of “night” was to film in full daylight and put a darkened tint over the lens (at least I think that’s how they did it). it was still day, just not as bright.

On a side note, the sky over Rata Sum at night is spectacular!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

For me, the option via a check box would be fine. As an older player, my eyesight isn’t what it used to be and even the dark they have now creates some challenges. Still, I do understand why some would want it.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Dragon’s Dogma style nights with harder mobs spawning. :P

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: skigorn.7910

skigorn.7910

The mini spooky skeleton glows green at night. That’s the only time I notice it’s nighttime.

I would like to see a more distinctive nighttime too.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

For me, the option via a check box would be fine. As an older player, my eyesight isn’t what it used to be and even the dark they have now creates some challenges. Still, I do understand why some would want it.

I agree. I wish I could have day all the time.

Doggie.3184

You guys just need to eat more carrots.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

And increase the effect of torches or other lighty things while it is night! That would be so cool.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

i dun’t kno much about it, but u might possibly be able to do this on your owe client using sweetfx or reshade or something.

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

The lady in white event in Queendale, she only comes out at night. I waited for an hour once before she appeared, which seemed to happen while people were gathering for SB. Now, SB spawns every 2 hours, prior to Lady in White, it was definatly light, got slightly darker with fog when she appeared and SB started, and the sky was definatly black, but looking forward there wasnt much change in lighting. So, I’m guessing, the night cycle for Core Tyria is every 1-2 hours, but that night cycle did not seem to last nearly as long.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

+1. Nights need to be more noticeably different.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Varonth.5830

Varonth.5830

Snowblind fractal woods is how nights should be across the board.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

It was suggested quite prominently during HoT beta when they asked fir feedback over the day and night cycles. Verdant Brink at night would have more dangerous and atmospheric with a pronounced gloom in places.

The suggestion, was never acknowledged, so I suspect they are not in favour of darker nights.

Doggie.3184

And increase the effect of torches or other lighty things while it is night! That would be so cool.

Indeed. I enjoyed the Dark Room in Obsidian Sanctum because of that.
I also enjoy that mini Dungeon based on the movie “Pitch Black.” I forget the name of it. Somewhere in Shiverpeakz ina tomb.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Honestly Night/day cycles could use two big improvements:

1. Tick box for “darker nights” which could be more entertaining for those who want them.
2.Tick box for “cycle weapon skin depending on day/night cycle” – It’s absurd but weapons like the AC ones and Eternity have no means through which to allow the player to change between their two states ( one for day and one for night).

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Not everyone has the monitor or eyesight to play with nights that dark everywhere.

But if it was an optional feature, I’d be on board.

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

Seconded. I would also add (optionally): hide mobs nameplates at night unless they’re within your light source range / right in front of you..

Posted by: Evga.2471

Evga.2471

Darker nights would be awesome!

I don’t know about that dark because it would be hard to see anything. Plus some gaming/non-gaming monitors can produce rich dark’s and etc.

OFF TOPIC:
But, however, having really thick fuller forest would be awesome as well. The forest in the game really lack. It’s like a tree here and there, that’s it.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Not everyone has the monitor or eyesight to play with nights that dark everywhere.

But if it was an optional feature, I’d be on board.

Would definitely be an option. But perhaps such an option could give new meaning to stuff like Torches and Fire to grant you some light.

Posted by: Aer.3970

Aer.3970

Lighting is something that is entirely client-based, I’m sure it could easily be given to those who want it and left alone for those who don’t via an option in the menu.

I use a reshade that makes the game darker, but it’s limited. It makes the screen a bit darker overall, but accurate darkness needs brightness surrounding you so you can see where you’re going, then a huge drop off in visibility the further away from a light source something is, somewhat like the visibility you get in Dry Top during a sandstorm.

I find equipping a torch or light-giving object like the Balth back helps seeing objects at your feet, but I kind of like to be able to customise my backpiece and not everyone wants to have a torch equipped as a weapon.

I think there should be a light source utility infusion. Available for laurels just like the bonus xp/gold infusions and you can stick it in your neck piece to illuminate the terrain around you. Client-side only, like all the light sources already in game, so it wouldn’t change anything on the networking side.

It would be great to get an official implementation of this.