Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

15 forum bugs a’ hopping

Mesmerising Girl

Can we have expansion 2 soon

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

FF14: ARR came out a year later and releases a 2nd expansion this summer…

Just to make people feel how extremely slow anet is. I lost motivation after a couple of months after HoT and I don’t bother to log in anymore because I am so bored (and some great games coming out the past months).

They need to learn that a steady stream of content is needed to keep players coming online. Why they only think they have to reinvent the wheel with new ‘concepts’ etc. is beyond my comprehension. People just want cool and meaty content like dungeons (non-gimmicky like Aetherpath). They just need to gaze upon their ex-company Blizzard to know how you do things.

Generalize much?

“People” want different things. Different players, different expactaitions.
Im perfectly fine with the speed we are getting new things.
New maps, new and revamped fractals, new raids, new story stuff, new pvp seasons, new legendaries, etc.

Im glad they try out new stuff. If i wanted the same ol’ same ol’ – there are plenty of other games that deliever that.

I know, I know. GW2 people tend to be very patient. I assume it’s part conditioning part ‘you have to get along with it’. But imagine the standard MMO player back in the days and you release an expansion with only 3.5 maps and not a single dungeon. The people I talked with wished much more. So to speak, no I don’t speak for the general GW2 community, but at least with those who played with me GW2 and GW1 the past 10 years.

And yet this is the sentiment I came to this game to get away from. I don’t care if they EVER introduce another dungeon.

In most games you burn through the new zones, go quest hub to quest hub, get everything done and never return to that zone. This game is a very different animal.

I can’t compare VB or TD or DS for that matter to any expansion zone in any game I’ve played, ever. I got far more replayability out of those zones.

The number of zones is not as important to me as the complexity of the zones.

Ever heard of reputation farming? I returned to a lot of WoW zones to farm reputation until I hit exalted and/or there were other mechanics to do.

I don’t think the HoT maps are bad, but I had most done in like 3-4 weeks, and map achievements in a couple of weeks later. The story content was very short (4 hours, compared to GW: Nightfall which took me nearly a week of daily playing to finish), there were no dungeons to run with friends and no reputation to farm for glorious rewards. And let’s face it: 3 and a half maps (DS being one meta zerg event which is fun for 1-2 times – rest is farming for skins/achievements/mastery points) the content was just too little. Especially if you consider the rather high price of 50€.

After that I expected at least some content but the drought until the first LS release was too long. It was okay, but actually, I lost motivation. I really am bored. I made two new legendaries and my interest is dwindling.

That said the raids are of course fine, but unfortunately I lost interest in them. My theory is supported by the fact that less and less people are playing – popularity is low and friends asked me if the game is still live. I will buy the new expansion of course – I play since vanilla GW1, but my hope for the franchise are a bit low. Alas the whole MMO industry is bleeding. There’s a huge shift towards MOBAS and other team based games.

At least I still have my PS4 with great single player games. Why repeating tons of the same content in an MMO when I can play games like Nier: Automata, Horizon, Nioh, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Persona 5 etc.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: OniGiri.9461

OniGiri.9461

No please not another expansion. Game balance is kittened as it is. Another expansion is just asking for chaos.

Fix what’s here, then do the cash thing.

What is wrong about the game balance?

On the assumption that this is a real question: Game balance has been a hot button issue for years. There are a fair number of people who would generally agree that balance is a serious problem in PvP and WvW and to a lesser extent PvE.

I can only recommend that you have a look at the PvP and WvW forums.

yes it actually was a real question :) i never really understood what this “balance” problem is supposed to be. Some classes are good for some modes and bad for others.

If balance is meant as equality in useability of every classes in every mode or submode of the game – id say thats impossible.

OniGiri.9461

Ever heard of reputation farming? I returned to a lot of WoW zones to farm reputation until I hit exalted and/or there were other mechanics to do.

I don’t think the HoT maps are bad, but I had most done in like 3-4 weeks, and map achievements in a couple of weeks later. The story content was very short (4 hours, compared to GW: Nightfall which took me nearly a week of daily playing to finish), there were no dungeons to run with friends and no reputation to farm for glorious rewards. And let’s face it: 3 and a half maps (DS being one meta zerg event which is fun for 1-2 times – rest is farming for skins/achievements/mastery points) the content was just too little. Especially if you consider the rather high price of 50€.

After that I expected at least some content but the drought until the first LS release was too long. It was okay, but actually, I lost motivation. I really am bored. I made two new legendaries and my interest is dwindling.

That said the raids are of course fine, but unfortunately I lost interest in them. My theory is supported by the fact that less and less people are playing – popularity is low and friends asked me if the game is still live. I will buy the new expansion of course – I play since vanilla GW1, but my hope for the franchise are a bit low. Alas the whole MMO industry is bleeding. There’s a huge shift towards MOBAS and other team based games.

At least I still have my PS4 with great single player games. Why repeating tons of the same content in an MMO when I can play games like Nier: Automata, Horizon, Nioh, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Persona 5 etc.

You are complaining that you got 4 weeks of game play (which i am sure is way more if you really started raiding and made two new legendaries) for 50 bucks and to top that you list PS4 games that cost about 70 bucks and give about a week (two weeks top) of game play.

Also MOBA audience and MMO audience aren’t quite the same. One being solely competition based while the other one just offers competition possibilites.

(edited by OniGiri.9461)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Just to make people feel how extremely slow anet is. I lost motivation after a couple of months after HoT and I don’t bother to log in anymore because I am so bored (and some great games coming out the past months).

They need to learn that a steady stream of content is needed to keep players coming online. Why they only think they have to reinvent the wheel with new ‘concepts’ etc. is beyond my comprehension. People just want cool and meaty content like dungeons (non-gimmicky like Aetherpath). They just need to gaze upon their ex-company Blizzard to know how you do things.

Generalize much?

New maps, new and revamped fractals, new raids, new story stuff, new pvp seasons, new legendaries, etc.

Im glad they try out new stuff. If i wanted the same ol’ same ol’ – there are plenty of other games that deliever that.

I know, I know. GW2 people tend to be very patient. I assume it’s part conditioning part ‘you have to get along with it’. But imagine the standard MMO player back in the days and you release an expansion with only 3.5 maps and not a single dungeon. The people I talked with wished much more. So to speak, no I don’t speak for the general GW2 community, but at least with those who played with me GW2 and GW1 the past 10 years.

And yet this is the sentiment I came to this game to get away from. I don’t care if they EVER introduce another dungeon.

In most games you burn through the new zones, go quest hub to quest hub, get everything done and never return to that zone. This game is a very different animal.

I can’t compare VB or TD or DS for that matter to any expansion zone in any game I’ve played, ever. I got far more replayability out of those zones.

The number of zones is not as important to me as the complexity of the zones.

So farming rep is a thing but farming currency isn’t? You mean the ascended weapons you could get and the new armor skins aren’t sweet rewards?

First of all, I did rep farming in most games, they were basically just specific daily quests in different areas. This is completely different.

For one thing, I enjoy completing the hot zones on different characters and if I’m making HoT legendaries (I’ve made 2 so far), I need zone complete on all the zones to do it.

Dragon Stand as an event, not a daily is a fun event to me. So is the Chak Garent for that matter.

But more, all the events in the zones are repeatable and some of those event chains are excellent. They’re also a good way to farm currency.

In most MMOs, just about all the ones I’ve played, the quests are one time only unless you go through on another character. It’s quest hub to quest hub to quest hub. This is completely different.

As for the story, since you’re only counting instances and ignoring the story in the zones themselves, which is probably half the story, I’m not sure what to tell you.

I think you and I are playing completely different games.

Posted by: Ngeluz.4860

Ngeluz.4860

Another Idea GW2 team could try is to do a non-essential LS Size mini expansion or Packs… These would just add deep personal story to your Character… the story just talks about you…

Example: Your a human, lowlife, necro who chose Grenth as your deity and you are from the Order of whisper… The expansion just expands on that… nothing else… A Story of how and why you became a Reaper (maybe face Zaithan in a new fight flying with your glider and showing who is the true master of Shadow and death?), how much you suffered as a street rat… Unlock your connection with one of the Six and where they been… The Order of Whispers sends you on an important mission only meant for you…etc etc… Each story is affected by your initial choices as you started a new character… and just tell about you in depth. Rewards can be from changing the colors of your powers to semi-legendary and cosmetic skins, a few goodies…well, you get the idea…

and it be at reasonable low prices since its not a full blown Expansion… you don’t need it to play the full game and anything going on but its a nice extra if you like to have it or have a bit of extra?

Let’s see… Just for Humans that would be 3 x (where you came from) x 5 (God of choice) x 9 (Profession) = 135 different stories. Just for one Race. (Not counting if there was one for base Profession and one for Elite Specialization (Profession). I doubt we would see anything like that unless we waited years. And years.

Oh! That’s not even including choosing an Order. Ok, 135 × 3 = 405. I can’t see them doing that many paths/arc/branches in a story. Especially at a low, reasonable price.

True, I imagine it’s like that, but it’s a just an example…of mini content… it could be anything, it could even be a general content, just broken down, telling in depth any story. It doesn’t have to be the whole thing it could be episodes like LS. It be a good way to do income without hurting the players… but I guess you’re right, how players are projecting the state of GW2, I guess it be way too expensive and time consuming for Arenanet, seeing as they can’t create low budget content beyond an expansion, LS or the gemstore. Not to mention the time restrictions the might have, to make certain amount of profit in X amount of time, imposed by NCSoft.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, it’s nice that ArenaNet releases mini-content (not sure whether it would be considered ‘low-budget’ – I know the playerbase certainly appreciates some of it) at no cost to the players. In spite of any supposed impositions by NCSoft.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

As long as it happens this year I am happy. Expansion 2 at the soonest next year would be… risky.

Why? This year the competition is gonna be really tough with both ff14 and eso releasing theirs and i dought gw2 can take on them both. Tbh i prefer having this lw season have like what? 8 to 10 episodes then the expansion to make sure they have the time they need.That way we get a quality product that brings the lvl of detail and quality this game has shown to be able to pull off.

FF14 and ESO release their expansions in June. So it would be smart to release the GW2 expansion in September / October / November when most players are already done with the other two expansions (Stormblood will have massive content but Morrowind is pretty small compared to other MMORPG expansions). To release an expansion 4-5 months after the competitors did is pretty smart because in that time frame won’t be any bigger game expansion for the next 6-12 months.

Battling in late 2018 with WoWs next expansion seems to be much harder than battling with half a year old FF14/ESO expansions.

around that time blizzcon happens in it of it self is a lighthouse for ppl to go play blizzard games

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

. . .
They just need to gaze upon their ex-company Blizzard to know how you do things.

And Blizzard does WoW expansions every two years. Warlords had perhaps the shortest cycle, because players were so ticked about it, and even that was still running on a 2-year development cycle. FFXIV has a huge backing as well, and they’re right on track for about a 2-year cycle, though admittedly, they seem to pump out lots of content, which is laudable.

So, yeah, I’m perfectly fine if HoT hangs around until October.
Gives me time to finish some content anyway.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

Why not compare anets previous game to this one? and the amount of content that was brought to the table? instead of blizzard use their own track record and when I looked at gw2 given how gw1 was when they announced I was super stoked I understand graphics animations etc are a lot more intricate and advanced visuals but they also have an enormous team compared to gw1 days just saying.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I think something like that is important for it to be ready when it’s ready.

Prevent potential issues, rather than let them in, as fixing them could be much worse.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Nyel.1843

Nyel.1843

As long as it happens this year I am happy. Expansion 2 at the soonest next year would be… risky.

Why? This year the competition is gonna be really tough with both ff14 and eso releasing theirs and i dought gw2 can take on them both. Tbh i prefer having this lw season have like what? 8 to 10 episodes then the expansion to make sure they have the time they need.That way we get a quality product that brings the lvl of detail and quality this game has shown to be able to pull off.

FF14 and ESO release their expansions in June. So it would be smart to release the GW2 expansion in September / October / November when most players are already done with the other two expansions (Stormblood will have massive content but Morrowind is pretty small compared to other MMORPG expansions). To release an expansion 4-5 months after the competitors did is pretty smart because in that time frame won’t be any bigger game expansion for the next 6-12 months.

Battling in late 2018 with WoWs next expansion seems to be much harder than battling with half a year old FF14/ESO expansions.

around that time blizzcon happens in it of it self is a lighthouse for ppl to go play blizzard games

What?

Sure, Blizzcon is in November but there’s nothing huge by Blizzard being released around that time. Diablo 3 gets it’s new class within the next months, the next WoW expansion will be released in the end of 2018. There might be something new for Overwatch or a new content patch for WoW but that can’t really compete with another GW2 expansion when people are really interested in GW2.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Or, more likely, RIP and in GW3.

I think you mean “RIP and goodbye ANet.” As NCSoft/Nexon pulls all their funding to funnel into another game like they’ve done with many other promising games their meddling and dishonest business practices have utterly tanked.

Since GW2 is still pulling in 6 times the quarterly income City of Heroes did before the plug was pulled and Wildstar is still alive with income hovering around end of CoH levels, GW2 is going nowhere yet.

Also Nexon sold all their NCSOFT stock at a loss before HoT dropped when the take over attempt of the Board of Directors failed. Find a new strawman.

Back to the subject at hand, I too believe there will be a much shorter hype train between announcement and shipping of the next expansion, on the order of 4-6 months during they will still be dropping content in game. I say dropping after next lunar new year event and the last living story dropping after Halloween so very little content drought.

Thank you token mindlessly antagonistic internet user, I didn’t say it was going anywhere, it was suggested by someone else that the game continued to decline, note, not as it currently is, but as it could be, we would see a GW3 before a conclusion to GW2, which I don’t agree with, if this next expansion tanks GW2 down that far, there will be neither a conclusion to GW2 nor a GW3, if for nothing else than a lack of financial investment. No stockholder is going to put a dime in to a development team that has delivered two failed expansions in a row.

Add to the follower after him, Nexon pulled out of NCSoft, NCSoft did not pull out of GW2, and still has a significant enough holding over the company to have a say in its workings, including the design of the game.

NCSOFT still owns 100% of ArenaNet indirectly through it’s 100% ownership of NC West Holdings which currently owns 100% of ArenaNet, Carbine Studios and NC Interactive.

And sorry but your post certainly sounded like you were raising the old disproved Nexon puppet master conspiracy coupled with general hatred over NCSOFT’s less than stellar support of Western MMO IP. That kind of post simply triggers me.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Vayne.8563

Why not compare anets previous game to this one? and the amount of content that was brought to the table? instead of blizzard use their own track record and when I looked at gw2 given how gw1 was when they announced I was super stoked I understand graphics animations etc are a lot more intricate and advanced visuals but they also have an enormous team compared to gw1 days just saying.

Because it’s easier to program a lobby game than an MMO by an order of magnitude. A lobby game without jumping, that was almost completely pathed, where you didn’t have 100 people using skills all at the same time in the same zone.

Different time, different game. The bar was set, in some ways, much lower. You may not realize it, but Guild Wars 1 was a much easier thing to program in general. You can compare them if you like, but it’s like comparing a bicycle to a motorcycle. They’re both two wheeled vehicles, but one of them is far more complex.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

it was a popular speculation that 5 and 6 will be a fire and ice theme again, and 7 will be about preparing for war with jormordus, and then the expansion.

My personal (hopeful) thought is that primordus is way stronger than we thought, and he kills jormag, but then absorbs the entirety of the magic nuke

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

I suppose there’s the hope that they’re busy polishing expac 2 before announcing it, but I kinda doubt that.

Look back to 2015. We had the announcement at PAX around February (?) that Heart of Thorns was coming. We then got the release date of late October. The footage we saw ended up being quite different to what we got, so I suppose it’s safe to assume that it was still heavily under development at announcement.

And then people complained that the expansion was full of bugs and didn’t offer the content that it said it would- at least not immediately.

I think asking for one by the end of this year is a little optimistic- unless, like I said, they announce an almost finalised product.

So…. would you rather wait for a complete expansion, or get an unfinished one “soon”? :P

I’d rather get an unfinished one. I’m not a perfectionist, and I dont have expectations of how an expansion should be.

I had no problems with HoT.

I left the game because it got dull, HoT renewed my interest, and kept me playing till now.

Now I’m looking for another expansion to hold my interests… like right now the only thing i’m looking forward to is legendary armor release…

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: fosfor.9076

fosfor.9076

2nd Expansion, feature mounts:
- new maps where no WP allowed, introducing mounts ( ground / air / underwater )
- mounts skills ( speed / attack / defence ) level
- more underwater and air combat / maps ( pve / pvp / wvw )
- focus more on community / guild missions, required to unlock raids / wvw content
- optional, new race / class

I will stop here, because it will be too much to add more features

Far Shiverpeaks [EU]

(edited by fosfor.9076)

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

You had me until “more underwater combat”, which is obviously never going to happen.

I suspect the one person who knew how underwater combat works in the engine got fired near the end of LS1, and then they also found out that now they no longer have someone in the team to rip out UW-combat entirely. So um… just let it sit and hope players forget about it?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Vayne.8563

You had me until “more underwater combat”, which is obviously never going to happen.

I suspect the one person who knew how underwater combat works in the engine got fired near the end of LS1, and then they also found out that now they no longer have someone in the team to rip out UW-combat entirely. So um… just let it sit and hope players forget about it?

I think it’s more likely on a list for a complete overhaul as part of a larger upgrade, but they have too much going on now to focus on it. They’ll get to it, at some point, perhaps in an expansion in the future.

Nyel.1843

Mounts. I just want Mounts as a feature. And the new Elite specializations for sure.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

They’ll get to it, at some point, perhaps in an expansion in the future.

Hrrrrrm… dunno. Thought the same about class-design, overall issues with too many variable elements of balance, green/blue spam, engine issues and WvW overall design.

All of which are still around, and few are being worked on at all. Even class balance is only done in smallest increments 1-3 times a year.

I mean I get that they’re busy, but their priorities seem to be much more on the theme park and more accretion of new ideas than honing existent elements of the game. But in the case of very underlying ones like the classes themselves or WvW or the inventory, that just hurts. Feels as if core aspects of the game are being abandoned because there’s just no money in working on it.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I think it’s more likely on a list for a complete overhaul as part of a larger upgrade, but they have too much going on now to focus on it. They’ll get to it, at some point, perhaps in an expansion in the future.

More likely it’s marked as the least important of all the things to do, and thus all the new things that come up end up queued above it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

No more expansions please. Just do better with living story.

Ithilwen.1529

GW1 is linked to GW2, both by history and the Hall of Monuments. In my opinion, ANET would do well to look back at GW1.

I’ve been playing the earlier game intensively lately. It is, in my considered opinion, a better game.. with the exception of the Living World content.

Mesmerising Girl

Amaimon.7823

Mounts. I just want Mounts as a feature. And the new Elite specializations for sure.

Why do you want mounts, though, we have waypoints?

I can see some instances we could get a mount:
Junundu Wurms in the Desolation
Siege Golems
Charr Siege
Aurene

And these mounts would be instance , zone, or event- specific, not general open world mounts

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

Anet seems to be fairly comfortable w/ releasing content through LS episodes, so IDK. Maybe have players unlock their new specs through the completion of a LS season? It would cost much less to returning players. It might sound like a rough idea but it’s worth trying.

Nyel.1843

Why do you want mounts, though, we have waypoints?

I can see some instances we could get a mount:
Junundu Wurms in the Desolation
Siege Golems
Charr Siege
Aurene

And these mounts would be instance , zone, or event- specific, not general open world mounts

I want mounts because I like mounts. I like collecting them and they look great. And there are soooooo many options in GW2 what could be a very nice and story-related mount.

I never understood why GW2 doesn’t have mounts. Yeah we have waypoints but every other MMORPG has waypoints as well – and mounts on top of that.

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

I want mounts because I like mounts. I like collecting them and they look great. And there are soooooo many options in GW2 what could be a very nice and story-related mount.

I never understood why GW2 doesn’t have mounts. Yeah we have waypoints but every other MMORPG has waypoints as well – and mounts on top of that.

Off the top of my head World of Warcraft does NOT have anything even remotely resembling waypoints, neither does Everquest 2. Both have mounts and flying mounts but no waypoints. In WoW specifically there are the zepplines, ships, portals, teleports, those roosts where you unlock them by travelling and can catch a ride between two points, but not anything remotely resembling waypoints.

Waypoints have an occurance rate so high within the space of a single zone that there’s no need for mounts. No other mmo has waypoints so freely spread out throughout their maps. ESO has their quick travel feature, but the distance between two points that you can quick travel betwee, is SO far from each other, compared to the waypoints that exist in GW2, which is like maximum 30 seconds from each other (ignoring mob interactions) without swiftness or superspeed.

It’s not needed, especially not with the frequency of occurrence of waypoints in GW2. And I LIKE mounts, just before you accuse me of anything. They just don’t have a place in GW2.

Nyel.1843

Waypoins, wayshrines, gryphons, it doesn’t matter – every MMORPG has some kind of quick travelling system (and nothing else are Waypoints).

There is a need for mounts as there is a need for waypoints. In the end I should choose what I want to use, not the game. I prefer riding my mount to the next spot than teleporting there. On my way to the next hub or city I could get into an event when I am riding by it, when I teleport I don’t have this option.

Why shouldn’t they have no place in GW2? That doesn’t make any sense imho. What would be the problem with having mounts in GW2?

(edited by Nyel.1843)

castlemanic.3198

There is a need for mounts as there is a need for waypoints.

You wanting something does not make it a need. This game has never had mounts and was designed without the need for mounts. Why should GW2 add mounts if waypoints remove the need for mounts?

In the end I should choose what I want to use, not the game. I prefer riding my mount to the next spot than teleporting there. On my way to the next hub or city I could get into an event when I am riding by it, when I teleport I don’t have this option.

But you DO have the option. It’s called running. If you don’t want to run you can teleport, if you don’t want to teleport you can run. If you’re not happy with either, you can mostly spec to have permaswiftness. If you don’t have a profession with permaswiftness, there are surely still options for swiftness. If none of that appeases you, then mounts won’t help.

Why shouldn’t they have no place in GW2? That doesn’t make any sense imho. What would be the problem with having mounts in GW2?

The development time and costs that could be used for more relevant content to GW2. Also there’s no place for them because waypoints exist and nullify the need for mounts.

If you feel that GW2 NEEDS mounts, explain why. Otherwise it’s just a want.

Amaimon.7823

The argument of mounts ‘might’ have worked in gw1, since that one had the ideology of waypoints that we have now, but only restricted to a few zones every 2 or 3 maps apart, instead of 20-30 in every map

Nyel.1843

The development time and costs that could be used for more relevant content to GW2. Also there’s no place for them because waypoints exist and nullify the need for mounts.

I don’t want to answer to the other stuff because I find this discussion pretty exhausting, but I’ll answer this point:

The time to develop mounts is zero. They have the models already in game. They just need to make them available as mounts. I am pretty sure they could do all that work within a week, if they really want to. They don’t need running animations, they don’t need models, they don’t need some special stuff, it’s all there in game right now.

And I already said why I think GW2 needs mounts.

castlemanic.3198

I don’t want to answer to the other stuff because I find this discussion pretty exhausting, but I’ll answer this point:

Well unfortunately for you, you’re getting a long response. Hope you feel up to discussing these counter points, because you have a lot more to respond to now.

The time to develop mounts is zero. They have the models already in game. They just need to make them available as mounts. I am pretty sure they could do all that work within a week, if they really want to. They don’t need running animations, they don’t need models, they don’t need some special stuff, it’s all there in game right now.

A WEEK? You really think it would take only a week? This is your biggest problem right here, that you think it would only take a week. It would take a lot more than a week to even make the decision to add mounts in the first place. Then you’d have to find the time to look at the design of the mounts, see what value they add to the gameplay, RESTRUCTURE a whole lot of GW2 to accommodate for mounts, figure out what speed the mounts would go at, how enemies would interact with a player on a mount, what skills a mount would have or not, how mounts would affect people who have gliding unlocked, figure out the interaction between a character on a mount jumping from a high place and wanting to use gliding, program in everything to do with mounts, create riding animations for 5 races, 2 sexes each, figure out clipping issues with armour and mounts, figure out how mount scaling would work with the variable heights that players can choose from, make sure that there are no game breaking bugs through the introduction of mounts, figure out a way players can acquire mounts and program in how they can acquire mounts, playtest it, do betas, launch it and be prepared for any and all issues and feedback from players. There’s also the market research that would be done way beforehand as well, how many players would want it, why would devs want to implement it, what makes sense as a mount, what doesn’t, what lore reason would there be for the sudden introduction of mounts that didn’t exist beforehand, would there be quests to unlock each mount, how would you account for different races like charr vs asura on the same mount, do you make mounts account bound or soul bound.

You’re telling me all of that will occur in a week? The animations ALONE will take a week and that’s ONLY for the first pass, the first look at what a riding animation would look like, then you have the tweaks to make sure that each race has a good riding animation that doesn’t have too many clipping issues etc.etc.etc.

You are SO mistaken on how long it would take to implement mounts. This amount of undertaking is so large for mounts it might as well be put into content that the game actually needs.

This is what you said.

There is a need for mounts as there is a need for waypoints. In the end I should choose what I want to use, not the game. I prefer riding my mount to the next spot than teleporting there. On my way to the next hub or city I could get into an event when I am riding by it, when I teleport I don’t have this option.

That’s not a need for mounts. Objectively speaking that’s you saying that you have a preference for mounts and would like them. That is NOT an objective “here’s why the game needs mounts”.

You have every right to say “I should choose what I want to use, not the game”. But you don’t have a right to demand that Anet use development resources to place something you personally want into the game that doesn’t already exist. If you want mounts, you can go to another game. If you want to play GW2, you are welcome. If you want mounts in GW2, you’re free to want them. If you feel that GW2 NEEDS mounts you need to prove that with objective facts. So far, everything that you’ve said is a subjective feeling that just turns out to be “I like mounts”.

So, no, you did not say why the game NEEDS mounts, you said why YOU want mounts. There’s a vast difference between the two, and the more honest you can be about saying that you want mounts, the better it will be for everyone, including yourself.

Amaimon.7823

No, you’ve already said why you want mounts, not why we need it.
And the fact that you said it only takes 1 week to add mounts to this game, simply because the models exist ingame, proves that you have zero understanding of how this all works. You seem to think model a exists, and model b exists, so like lego I can stack them on top of each other?
Do you also think “I have a ball of fire, and I have a food, poof, I’m a sous chef”?

Nyel.1843

I am not going to answer any mount-related posts anymore. I don’t want to hijack this thread with that topic and to be honest I don’t see any reason to discuss this anymore (especially not when some posts are so entitled and arrogant in tone).

You don’t want mounts? I am fine with that. I still think they would benefit the game and I still want them. It doesn’t matter what you or others say, it won’t change my opinion on that topic.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I think they may of bleed to much talent to put out an expansion any time soon.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

castlemanic.3198

I am not going to answer any mount-related posts anymore. I don’t want to hijack this thread with that topic and to be honest I don’t see any reason to discuss this anymore (especially not when some posts are so entitled and arrogant in tone).

You don’t want mounts? I am fine with that. I still think they would benefit the game and I still want them. It doesn’t matter what you or others say, it won’t change my opinion on that topic.

Entitled and arrogant? For saying that mounts aren’t a need and proving you wrong on how long it would take to put mounts into the game? I think you’re definitely mistaken. You’re free to want mounts, just as we’re free to point out why they won’t work.

Now, onto the topic itself, I would like GW2’s second expansion to be finished when it’s released (if that is indeed their plan). I love living world content and the current events stuff is pretty awesome as well. Hopefully we just get more good stuff.

Vayne.8563

Actually I’ve always wanted to see mounts in this game, and I love the game and the way point system. I never saw mounts as a way to get places faster. I saw mounts as something to collect and a further way to customize my character.

Some of my characters would ride things that other characters wouldn’t because it fit their character. As a further way to customize my character, something else to collect, I would absolutely welcome mounts.

But do I expect to see mounts in this game in some future expansion? Not really, no.

OniGiri.9461

Id like to see something that wasn’t there before in the game.
As new as gliding was when it came out.

Something to add a new perspective and a new way to interact with my almost 5 year old character

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

You are complaining that you got 4 weeks of game play (which i am sure is way more if you really started raiding and made two new legendaries) for 50 bucks and to top that you list PS4 games that cost about 70 bucks and give about a week (two weeks top) of game play.

Also MOBA audience and MMO audience aren’t quite the same. One being solely competition based while the other one just offers competition possibilites.

I understand what you mean: I have enough money myself. But I noticed a general consent in this forum that 50€ is a bit high for just a few maps. Other companies showed a lot more content for a lower amount.

You misunderstood my point about ‘gameplay’. The air and motivation and the awe of fresh feel faded away after four weeks; it was done, most achievements were done and there was nothing new to explore. Farming for two legendaries surely took a wile, I finished Astralaria at the end of 2015 and by mid-end 2016 I finished Nevermore. Though I played unfrequently.

You missed my point with MOBA/MMO community. There are global trends. There were the trends of RTS games, the trend of MMOs where all and your mother played it. Hell, I even met players who haven’t played any game in WoW chats before WoW. It was a phenomenon nonetheless and it was a new experience for me. Now the huge spotlight is gone and the focus within gaming is on MOBA and other team based simple games.

Of course the whole industry grew. There are a lot new possible players (China and other BRIC countries) which further diversifies gaming in the whole. And a lot of players who grow up with mobile games which then later complain that games and contents are too hard. The past 25 years games grew easier and easier year by year (with a few exceptions like Demon’s/Dark Souls etc.).

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

(edited by ProtoGunner.4953)

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Generalize much?

You are in the minority. Anet releases new content much, much slower than virtually every other MMO ever, including ones that make less money. I have no idea why, but it’s a problem they need to get a better handle on.

I think mounts need to happen, FYI. I don’t think any argument against them really holds much water at the end of the day, and they are one of many peoples’ favorite collection items in other MMOs. They will bring in more money for the game than they will cost to make.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Amaimon.7823

Generalize much?

You are in the minority. Anet releases new content much, much slower than virtually every other MMO ever, including ones that make less money. I have no idea why, but it’s a problem they need to get a better handle on.

I think mounts need to happen, FYI. I don’t think any argument against them really holds much water at the end of the day, and they are one of many peoples’ favorite collection items in other MMOs. They will bring in more money for the game than they will cost to make.

Your weird argument for production speed aside, how in the blazes is wasting hundreds and thousands of resources on making mounts, for which there is absolutely no practical use ingame, going to generate more income for anet? You really think a large enough playerbase is going to spend a lot of money on mounts to justify the massive production cost it’s going to take? I’ll get that there will be a few people who will buy mounts, but by far not enough to justify to the production cost. If anet had resources for extravagant things like mounts, don’t you think the regular content would’ve been a lot faster?

And your other thing, how is he in the minority? yes, I heard a lot of people saying they can’t wait for the next LS chapter, or the next expansion, but impatience doesn’t equate the belief that anet is too slow. I think you’re in the minority when you complain about anet’s production speed. I think the majority of the people here want complete content, rather than rushed content. I think that argument was settled after the release of HoT, which was clearly rushed because of impatient people. It was a complete broken mishap of an expansion. Only in the several patches after did it become a respectable expansion. Now people are more than willing to wait a little longer to get such a good expansion on the first day.

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

Ithilwen.1529

Here here! HoT felt rushed when it arrived and problems remain to this day. I’d like to see ANET fully develop HoT, then go on and fully prep another expac before shipping.

Mesmerising Girl

zealex.9410

What?

Sure, Blizzcon is in November but there’s nothing huge by Blizzard being released around that time. Diablo 3 gets it’s new class within the next months, the next WoW expansion will be released in the end of 2018. There might be something new for Overwatch or a new content patch for WoW but that can’t really compete with another GW2 expansion when people are really interested in GW2.

thats the thing not alot of ppl are interested heavily on gw2 atm

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Anyone with half a brain and little bit of experience knows that most MMOs have both better quality and better speed than Anet has. If there’s any doubt, just pick up FF14 for a few months. So all of these “take forever so it can be more polished” arguments are kittenhit.

As for mounts, yes I do think they are very attractive to the majority of MMO players as they are an attractive collection item while also adding immersion to the setting. I’m not sure what’s so extravagant about them, considering nearly every other MMO has them. I would wager my life that they generate more interest and revenue than they cost to produce in virtually all cases. I would actually take the argument even further and state that the fact that GW2 launched without them did damage to the game that it may never recover from.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

If the new elite spec are going to be showed 1 per month its already +9 months from when they start to put it out. So its past the point of it coming out this year.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Don’t think they will drag out the hype this time.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

zealex.9410

Anyone with half a brain and little bit of experience knows that most MMOs have both better quality and better speed than Anet has. If there’s any doubt, just pick up FF14 for a few months. So all of these “take forever so it can be more polished” arguments are kittenhit.

As for mounts, yes I do think they are very attractive to the majority of MMO players as they are an attractive collection item while also adding immersion to the setting. I’m not sure what’s so extravagant about them, considering nearly every other MMO has them. I would wager my life that they generate more interest and revenue than they cost to produce in virtually all cases. I would actually take the argument even further and state that the fact that GW2 launched without them did damage to the game that it may never recover from.

Idk your whole arguement lost weight when you mentioned a sub only game as an example of the game that can dish out content fast. I mean, getting payed by default everymonth sure does allow them to ahve the budget for projects and idea xD

zealex.9410

If the new elite spec are going to be showed 1 per month its already +9 months from when they start to put it out. So its past the point of it coming out this year.

more like 1 each week i’d assume

Amaimon.7823

Anyone with half a brain would have half-thoughts like that. Luckily. Most people here have whole brains. I never said anet was the fastest or best producer. But wanting to be better doesn’t actually make them better. And mounts work in other games because they’re the transport mechanics of that game. We have a different transport mechanic so mounts are superfluous.
And the fact that you believe that this game failed solely because it has no mount shows how little worth there is in arguing you anymore. So my only advice so you is.. go play a game with mounts if that’s more important than content