Can we have expansion 2 soon

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Anyone with half a brain and little bit of experience knows that most MMOs have both better quality and better speed than Anet has. If there’s any doubt, just pick up FF14 for a few months. So all of these “take forever so it can be more polished” arguments are kittenhit.

As for mounts, yes I do think they are very attractive to the majority of MMO players as they are an attractive collection item while also adding immersion to the setting. I’m not sure what’s so extravagant about them, considering nearly every other MMO has them. I would wager my life that they generate more interest and revenue than they cost to produce in virtually all cases. I would actually take the argument even further and state that the fact that GW2 launched without them did damage to the game that it may never recover from.

Anyone with half a brain would have half-thoughts like that. Luckily. Most people here have whole brains. I never said anet was the fastest or best producer. But wanting to be better doesn’t actually make them better. And mounts work in other games because they’re the transport mechanics of that game. We have a different transport mechanic so mounts are superfluous.
And the fact that you believe that this game failed solely because it has no mount shows how little worth there is in arguing you anymore. So my only advice so you is.. go play a game with mounts if that’s more important than content

That doesn’t mean they dont need to increase productivity and fracly mounts are content the process of colecting them takes time, time that ppl won’t complain for the lack of content. And who know maybe the new maps will be huge with like 2 wp only there mounts will make sense.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

And who know maybe the new maps will be huge with like 2 wp only there mounts will make sense.

You really want to go back to the old days of MMOs where each death means you have to go back to the spawn point in the corner of the map, then jump on your mount and ride back all the way to where you died? If that’s your justification for mounts, then GW2 has long since implemented a way better system.

Personally I like my collectibles well enough and have enjoyed collecting mounts in other games where those were a thing, but I don’t miss the movement aspect of mount systems one bit. GW2 lets me choose whether to waypoint right where I want to go, or leisurely run across the countryside to explore things as I pass them. I really prefer this system to being forced to travel distances again and again, and I suspect I’m not the only player in this game that enjoys the flexibility of the waypoint system compared to mount-based traveling.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Anyone with half a brain and little bit of experience knows that most MMOs have both better quality and better speed than Anet has. If there’s any doubt, just pick up FF14 for a few months. So all of these “take forever so it can be more polished” arguments are kittenhit.

As for mounts, yes I do think they are very attractive to the majority of MMO players as they are an attractive collection item while also adding immersion to the setting. I’m not sure what’s so extravagant about them, considering nearly every other MMO has them. I would wager my life that they generate more interest and revenue than they cost to produce in virtually all cases. I would actually take the argument even further and state that the fact that GW2 launched without them did damage to the game that it may never recover from.

Anyone with half a brain would have half-thoughts like that. Luckily. Most people here have whole brains. I never said anet was the fastest or best producer. But wanting to be better doesn’t actually make them better. And mounts work in other games because they’re the transport mechanics of that game. We have a different transport mechanic so mounts are superfluous.
And the fact that you believe that this game failed solely because it has no mount shows how little worth there is in arguing you anymore. So my only advice so you is.. go play a game with mounts if that’s more important than content

That doesn’t mean they dont need to increase productivity and fracly mounts are content the process of colecting them takes time, time that ppl won’t complain for the lack of content. And who know maybe the new maps will be huge with like 2 wp only there mounts will make sense.

yes, cye back to one of my earlier posts, I am fine with logical mounts. That is for example, we go to the Desolation, and we ride the Junundu Wurms again. but then they would be a mastery, and a local mount. Those I would be fine with since it would be an actual game mechanic.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Your weird argument for production speed aside, how in the blazes is wasting hundreds and thousands of resources on making mounts, for which there is absolutely no practical use ingame, going to generate more income for anet? You really think a large enough playerbase is going to spend a lot of money on mounts to justify the massive production cost it’s going to take? I’ll get that there will be a few people who will buy mounts, but by far not enough to justify to the production cost. If anet had resources for extravagant things like mounts, don’t you think the regular content would’ve been a lot faster?

And your other thing, how is he in the minority? yes, I heard a lot of people saying they can’t wait for the next LS chapter, or the next expansion, but impatience doesn’t equate the belief that anet is too slow. I think you’re in the minority when you complain about anet’s production speed. I think the majority of the people here want complete content, rather than rushed content. I think that argument was settled after the release of HoT, which was clearly rushed because of impatient people. It was a complete broken mishap of an expansion. Only in the several patches after did it become a respectable expansion. Now people are more than willing to wait a little longer to get such a good expansion on the first day.

I don’t think mounts will take that much time. At least not for a normal company. Also, there are games which have mounts and waypoints. Also it is always better to have a mount instead to exchange to a speed boost which only gives 33% speed. I don’t want to constantly waste a slot in openworld only to have a speed boost, or use any skills all the time to get swiftness. Also 33% is too low. I want to have 100% speed boost. Also, there are maps where WPs are scarce – especially when they are contested all the time. Additionally in WvW I don’t have to walk on foot all the time to get into the action again. Mounts would be awesome – especially collecting them through achievements etc. Though I don’t think it will happen, so… one point more I quit playing at least temporarily. Waiting for expansion. Otherwise this game will go down fast. Playerbase is lower than ever and interest is fading. Even some of the most loyal friends I played with quit playing be cause the lack of content is so evident.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Even if that were true about FF XIV and it might be, that doesn’t make your statement true, since you claim MOST MMOs have better quality and speed than Anet. That would involve polling all MMOs, and 50% of them having better quality and speed.

Because you picked the MMO that’s probably doing best right now, you’ve put doubt into your whole argument. Because I’ve played a lot of other MMOs where this wasn’t true, far more than it is true for.

Even WoW doesn’t make content faster than Anet and they’re a much bigger MMO. And of course, quality is a subjective matter.

I’d be willing to wager most MMOs don’t have nearly the speed and quality of these updates, as in more than 50% of them.

I’d go as far to say very few developers update their MMOs as frequently.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I don’t think mounts will take that much time. At least not for a normal company. Also, there are games which have mounts and waypoints. Also it is always better to have a mount instead to exchange to a speed boost which only gives 33% speed. I don’t want to constantly waste a slot in openworld only to have a speed boost, or use any skills all the time to get swiftness. Also 33% is too low. I want to have 100% speed boost. Also, there are maps where WPs are scarce – especially when they are contested all the time. Additionally in WvW I don’t have to walk on foot all the time to get into the action again. Mounts would be awesome – especially collecting them through achievements etc. Though I don’t think it will happen, so… one point more I quit playing at least temporarily. Waiting for expansion. Otherwise this game will go down fast. Playerbase is lower than ever and interest is fading. Even some of the most loyal friends I played with quit playing be cause the lack of content is so evident.

So you want to destroy the balance and opportunity cost structure between combat and exploration builds that make GW2 unique, just to more efficiently skip map travelling with an item dependant boon that will instantly become mandatory and create a considerable power gap between people with and without mounts?

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

If and when the expansion is released I’ll be waiting before buying. I bought HoT twice.

This time I’ll wait and see for some months ’til things settle, ( and the first nerf / rework cycle is done,) before I decide whether or not to buy.

With regard to mounts, gliders are pretty close to flying mounts and there are gemstore based ground mounts. I’m thinking of Flying Carpet, Broom and Sonic tunneler.

One thing that all of the above share in common is that you can’t fight when mounted ( except in one specific place.) They don’t move much faster than a toon jogging. If those conditions were preserved, I don’t see an issue with mounts and they’d probably be a big seller.

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

So you want to destroy the balance and opportunity cost structure between combat and exploration builds that make GW2 unique, just to more efficiently skip map travelling with an item dependant boon that will instantly become mandatory and create a considerable power gap between people with and without mounts?

Wow, just wow. Your arguments are pretty null and void:

1. You seem very emotional towards mounts just for the sake of not want to having them. I talk about convenience. It’s convenient to have 100% speed increase. Exploration build? What’s that? You really change your build to ‘explore’ the map for the 10th time and then go back to your dungeon build? I highly doubt people want that…

2. If everybody gets a free mount at a certain point in the leveling process (similar to the standard glider) I see no problem about a ‘mandatory’ item.

3. Your arguments seem null and void. It’s emotional, and in the end you just fear a wowisation of your favourite game. That said, it’s pretty standard and every major RPG franchise has mounts: Zelda, Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy etc.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Amaimon.7823

1. You seem very emotional towards mounts just for the sake of not want to having them. I talk about convenience. It’s convenient to have 100% speed increase. Exploration build? What’s that? You really change your build to ‘explore’ the map for the 10th time and then go back to your dungeon build? I highly doubt people want that…

2. If everybody gets a free mount at a certain point in the leveling process (similar to the standard glider) I see no problem about a ‘mandatory’ item.

3. Your arguments seem null and void. It’s emotional, and in the end you just fear a wowisation of your favourite game. That said, it’s pretty standard and every major RPG franchise has mounts: Zelda, Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy etc.

Your arguments kinda backfire, mate.
1. You don’t want mounts for better than emotional reasons as well.
2. Or we can just give nobody mounts, and it would be just as good.
3. This argument of yours is equally null and void because Fallout 4, some other zelda games, and guild wars 1 did not have mounts. What’s the argument here? all games must be the same?

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

If the new elite spec are going to be showed 1 per month its already +9 months from when they start to put it out. So its past the point of it coming out this year.

more like 1 each week i’d assume

How many weeks was between each of them last time? Even at 1 a week that still 3 months about. So got to start in or before October.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Or, more likely, RIP and in GW3.

I think you mean “RIP and goodbye ANet.” As NCSoft/Nexon pulls all their funding to funnel into another game like they’ve done with many other promising games their meddling and dishonest business practices have utterly tanked.

Nexon doesn’t have a controlling interest in NcSoft and has no control at all over what happens to Guild Wars 2. Just saying.

And thank kittening god for that. Nexon is an awful company that drives games into the ground and never listens to player feedback.

OriOri.8724

Mounts would be a huge selling point for the next expansion, and as such would almost be guaranteed to be expansion only. So no, they would not be given out to everyone, and it would directly introduce P2W mechanics if it was allowed in WvW. Its bad enough that elite specs outclass core specs by so much, you don’t need to give the people who buy an expansion any further advantages over F2P players.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Mounts would be a huge selling point for the next expansion, and as such would almost be guaranteed to be expansion only. So no, they would not be given out to everyone, and it would directly introduce P2W mechanics if it was allowed in WvW. Its bad enough that elite specs outclass core specs by so much, you don’t need to give the people who buy an expansion any further advantages over F2P players.

They didn’t allow gliding in WvW (or sPvP) I doubt they would allow mounts

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Amaimon.7823

Are gliders also pay to win?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If they had a 100% speed boost, they would be.

Ardid.7203

I always try to include permaswiftness in my builds, because I like to move fast. To do that, I have to sacrifice survivability or damage (or rearrange builds on the spot just before entering combat, which I don’t like to do). That means there is a tradeoff between map traveling speed and combat. This isn’t casual: Anet intentionally created the build system that way.

Introducing an item that brings this kind of advantage (100% speed, my god!) will simply disrupt the already fragile balance there exist. My actual build will become unreasonable, and every single trait, skill, rune or sigil effect related to travel speed would lose any reason to exist.

So, yes, I’m “emotional” about this, because it IS power creep. It transform the game from a game about exploration and combat in a game about just combat.

All this is talking ONLY from the balance/gameplay perspective.

From the visual enjoyment perspective, all I would like to say is: there is already more than enough visual clutter in the game due to cosmetic items. Norn wing backpieces were the worst offenders until they added that raven glider. Just try to do a JP with people using that around… Now imagine they arent active only when gliding: they are everywere, obstructing your vision all the time. Because people like to mount things.

Commercially, mounts COULD be a success. But, IMO, they would be a disaster as gameplay elements, unless Anet severely limit their impact (Which would limit their commercial success, because “mount people” want big, shiny, obstructive items that also provide huge, gamechanging, balance breaking advantages)

Hawks

(edited by Ardid.7203)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

If they had a 100% speed boost, they would be.

Technically, I do glide faster than I walk.
B-)

And yet slower than Swiftness. There’s certain workings of aerodynamics I find worrisome about that. o_O

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Inculpatus cedo.9234

My character rarely walks. She/he runs almost always.

Now, my character can sometimes get from point A to point B faster with gliding, because of ‘as the crow flies’, but I’m not sure gliding moves faster than running on even terrain.

Maybe…

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

Are gliders also pay to win?

Gliders don’t truly give you a speed boost like mounts would. Gliders save you in the event you jump off from a high place and can only speed up moving from one high location to another lower location. It’s not comparable.

OriOri.8724

@Crinn – In his comment here (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Can-we-have-expansion-2-soon/page/3#post6551186) he talked about mounts being usable in WvW, along with the 100% speed boost.

@Amainmon – In a competitive scene they could be. Allowing you to freely jump off cliffs to disengage from a fight going poorly, and the only way for the other player to chase you is to also have bought the expansion to have the ability to glide off the cliff as well. Plus, they don’d double your speed.

Ardid.7203

There are a lot of PvE daylies where you have to complete a bunch very brief, easy to miss events in a given map: you need to get there in time, or the event will burn under the feet of a zerg.

In other words: any item that buffs speed over the build limit would become mandatory here, even when it is “just pve”. IMO this also extend to map completion and a lot other “non competitive” activities in the open world that requires you to move fast. These kind of advantages aren’t mere “convenience”.

About gliding: I love gliding, but it DID affect building, and created an especific vacuum in PvE balance: all the “falling” traits. When was the last time you saw one of them being used in PvE? They were simply killed by gliding.

Item speed boosts WILL kill some areas of the game, and thus damage balance and build diversity.

Hawks

Amaimon.7823

@Crinn – In his comment here (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Can-we-have-expansion-2-soon/page/3#post6551186) he talked about mounts being usable in WvW, along with the 100% speed boost.

@Amainmon – In a competitive scene they could be. Allowing you to freely jump off cliffs to disengage from a fight going poorly, and the only way for the other player to chase you is to also have bought the expansion to have the ability to glide off the cliff as well. Plus, they don’d double your speed.

ye, but you can’t use them in competitive settings, so gliding can’t be used for that. The only way to get out of competitive combat, would be to use a 50% fall damage reduction and literally fight on the edge

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

i cant imagine what will come for the next expantion that will be that inovative besides all i can think of is more of the same easy stacking boons and condi spam with more aoe, more lag…. rip pvp and wvw.

It will be a bad day for gw2 overall….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yeah, most do, mate. Mounts are not only a transport mechanic, they are a very, very desirable collection item. Why do you think WoW has so many of them? Since GW2 more heavily revolves around collection than other MMOs do, it’s almost absurd that it doesn’t have them as a way of expanding the endgame.

“And the fact that you believe that this game failed solely because it has no mount”
Strawman and hyperbole exposes the lack of worth of your argument.

zealex.9410

And who know maybe the new maps will be huge with like 2 wp only there mounts will make sense.

You really want to go back to the old days of MMOs where each death means you have to go back to the spawn point in the corner of the map, then jump on your mount and ride back all the way to where you died? If that’s your justification for mounts, then GW2 has long since implemented a way better system.

Personally I like my collectibles well enough and have enjoyed collecting mounts in other games where those were a thing, but I don’t miss the movement aspect of mount systems one bit. GW2 lets me choose whether to waypoint right where I want to go, or leisurely run across the countryside to explore things as I pass them. I really prefer this system to being forced to travel distances again and again, and I suspect I’m not the only player in this game that enjoys the flexibility of the waypoint system compared to mount-based traveling.

we already see maps with less waypoints, theres no issue in these maps since the wp are in key locations

Amaimon.7823

Yeah, most do, mate. Mounts are not only a transport mechanic, they are a very, very desirable collection item. Why do you think WoW has so many of them? Since GW2 more heavily revolves around collection than other MMOs do, it’s almost absurd that it doesn’t have them as a way of expanding the endgame.

“And the fact that you believe that this game failed solely because it has no mount”
Strawman and hyperbole exposes the lack of worth of your argument.

He quite literally said that he thought the game failed because it had no mounts. no hyperboling or stawmanning, quite literally quoting him.

here is the literal quote: I would wager my life that they generate more interest and revenue than they cost to produce in virtually all cases. I would actually take the argument even further and state that the fact that GW2 launched without them did damage to the game that it may never recover from.

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

zealex.9410

mounts act differently compaired to gliders

castlemanic.3198

GW2 has no need for mounts because it was designed without mounts in mind. WoW has so many of them because not only has that game been out since 2004, but it’s also constantly expanded it’s mount collection for people to use. It’s a flawed argument. Also, ArenaNet run on a cash shop and buyable expansion revenue instead of a subscription model, which means they don’t have the resources that WoW does to dedicate solely to the creation of mounts and the addition of mounts in the game. Mounts don’t have value in GW2 because it was expressly designed without mounts in mind, so adding them would be useless.

Unless you’re talking about mounts that would have no in game benefit, in which case they already exist.

Posted by: Tekey.7946

Tekey.7946

GW2 has no need for mounts because it was designed without mounts in mind. WoW has so many of them because not only has that game been out since 2004, but it’s also constantly expanded it’s mount collection for people to use. It’s a flawed argument. Also, ArenaNet run on a cash shop and buyable expansion revenue instead of a subscription model, which means they don’t have the resources that WoW does to dedicate solely to the creation of mounts and the addition of mounts in the game. Mounts don’t have value in GW2 because it was expressly designed without mounts in mind, so adding them would be useless.

Unless you’re talking about mounts that would have no in game benefit, in which case they already exist.

New maps like Bitterfrost Frontier, Lake Doric and Ember Bay rely on just a few waypoints. They’re completely different to the vanilla maps (and how they were designed without having mounts in mind). Right now, we’re using thermo-tubes and leylines to move around quickly. The game changed a lot, a few years ago we didn’t have raids in GW2, now we’ve got them. It’s never too late to introduce something new: remember, the last expansion gave us the ability to glide almost everywhere (in PVE). I don’t know if they already knew that when they started developing vanilla GW2.

Games without subscription can earn a lot of money, too. Most of the times there are whales who spend hundreds or thousands of dollars (e.g. converting gems to gold to buy legendary weapons). And regular players who buy a 25$ gem card each month to buy the new outfit/glider/skin/harvest tool. Especially casual players who don’t have enough gold to convert them to gems will do that.

Considering that there is a significant amount of MMORPG players who like to have and collect mounts, introducing them wouldn’t be useless but a new selling point referring to the new expansion/and game overall.

(edited by Tekey.7946)

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

New maps like Bitterfrost Frontier, Lake Doric and Ember Bay rely on just a few waypoints. They’re completely different to the vanilla maps (and how they were designed without having mounts in mind). Right now, we’re using thermo-tubes and leylines to move around quickly. The game changed a lot, a few years ago we didn’t have raids in GW2, now we’ve got them. It’s never too late to introduce something new: remember, the last expansion gave us the ability to glide almost everywhere (in PVE). I don’t know if they already knew that when they started developing vanilla GW2.

Games without subscription can earn a lot of money, too. Most of the times there are whales who spend hundreds or thousands of dollars (e.g. converting gems to gold to buy legendary weapons). And regular players who buy a 25$ gem card each month to buy the new outfit/glider/skin/harvest tool. Especially casual players who don’t have enough gold to convert them to gems will do that.

Considering that there is a significant amount of MMORPG players who like to have and collect mounts, introducing them wouldn’t be useless but a new selling point referring to the new expansion/and game overall.

As long as we are not including flying mounts, I wouldn’t see a big problem introducing them at this point. Flying mounts would absolutely break all current map design.

castlemanic.3198

I’ve already mentioned before how gliding is different from mounts. You don’t get a speed boost, in fact you’re horizontally slower than if you had swiftness or superspeed (tested this myself on a revenant with glint legend). While the leyline thing exists all around HoT maps, it’s a high tier mastery that not everyone has access to, whereas gliding is one of the first two masteries you can get. The thermal tubes are easier to access, but that’s because the map was designed with them in mind. In fact they could have been perfect opportunities to add mounts, but they still intentionally designed around the need for mounts. Mounts aren’t needed, ArenaNet has shown the capability of designing around the need for mounts, so why put development time into something that isn’t needed when they can introduce another cool way of getting around maps? Sure, mounts are ‘easier’, just implement it once and design around it for the rest of the time, but there’s several interactions that go into mounts that need to be accounted for, such as whether entering combat dismounts or not, how to swap between being on a mount and attempting to glide or how mounts interact with underwater areas. Do these mounts have skills? If so, do you design mounts to have skills associated with each profession? do you provide incentives to stay on mounts or get off of them for combat? These aren’t just thought experiments, these are things that need to be placed in the game, tested, tweaked, tested again etc.etc. like any design process. Let’s compare all of those to the thermal tubes, the most recent form of transporation.

The thermal tubes have been designed to be placed far away from where enemies are most of the time, the few times they are close to enemies you can get into a tube no problem, taking damage doesn’t interrupt your ability to fly across the map and when you do, it’s at such high altitudes that you can’t be killed by direct damage (it would be interesting to see what dying from condition damage does mid-thermal tube flight). All of that is pretty interesting to discuss, except a similar system was already designed in HoT. Mushroom jumping. It basically has all the same design decisions except the flight path isn’t anywhere near as far distance wise or as high altitude wise, and see how quickly that shifted when it came to the new maps?

Let’s take gliding, since that’s the other example you picked. In 2 HoT release zones, gliding had no abilities, same for core tyria when it was opened up to HoT players to use their gliders there. You just glide down from where you initially opened your glider, so combat skills weren’t needed to be placed on gliders. No enemies were placed in the air that could damage you from distances you could get away from them with. No enemies fly, so gliding was ‘safe’ and fewer things were needed to be accounted for.

Auric basin, you had 3 bomb skills, nothing to interact with in the air, just dropping bombs on enemies and providing air support. I don’t know details about this one so I can’t comment, but it’s easy to say that staying or entering combat does not disable gliding (since that could immediately lead to your death if you’re high enough).

Dragon’s stand had a single skill. Again I don’t know any details of this skill, this information is pulled from the wiki.

So you have these seemingly extremely limited skills that encourage you to not be in the air all the time (atleast with Auric basin, don’t know the details of the dragon’s stand gliding skill). You don’t have access to your utility skills because you’re in the air, so it’s easier to design around that. You ALSO have a gliding mastery to enable stealth, discouraging using gliding mid combat, but encouraging using it to initiate combat.

(part 1 of 2)

castlemanic.3198

Then they released some living world maps and we DID get gliding combat. Well, sort of. Skill one deals more damage the closer you are to your target, again encouraging getting off of the glider and into direct combat. Unstable magic volley is an aoe skill that knocks down enemies and grants random conditions. The next two skills are heals, one aoe, one self heal, the last skill propels you forward. This isn’t a comprehensive gliding combat system, it seems more likely to be in place to stop people from being bored while gliding. Especially considering that two of those skills need you to be close enough to landing to use, since they’re aoe skills.

All of that changes upon introducing ground mounts. Factoring in utilities alone is a tough decision, because you’re on a mount but you’re on the ground, so essentially nothing is stopping you from using utility skills like gliding would. There are way more decisions that go into implementing ground mounts as opposed to gliding where you’re not going to go into air focused combat. So yeah, there’s no need for mounts and there’s a LOT more that goes into implementing mounts that simply “yeah they’re cool”.

Keyword can. That doesn’t mean ‘will’. GW2 is generating enough revenue to keep GW2 running and developing new content, but at a slow pace. Don’t get me wrong, I think the length of time taken isn’t as important as most people, and I appreciate Anet’s willingness to take a while to release polished content instead of rushed content. But ultimately the release schedule IS slow as it is, if the leaks are to be believed most likely because resources are diverted into the next expansion. That doesn’t mean there is extra room to include mounts. It’s not an impossible task, certainly, but definitely the resources that would be used on mounts could be used to create more maps, story, other things that GW2 players care about.

I fully believe that mounts are useful to other MMOs. I believe they are entirely useless to GW2, since all those resources that would be used up for mounts (not just the creation of mounts themselves, but ALL the systems and interactions between mounts and every possible scenario that could exist) are better placed elsewhere. GW2 has never needed mounts, it won’t need mounts in the future and is, in my opinion, vastly better for not having mounts.

(part 2 of 2)

Posted by: costepj.5120

costepj.5120

We don’t need mounts. BUT … I would love to see a WvW cavalry zerg :-)

So long and thanks for all the skritt

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

mounts act differently compaired to gliders

They still would not allow them in WvW or sPvP.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know how this became a ‘mount’ thread, but…

I think players might be disappointed if mounts were introduced. There is much talk about ‘collecting’ them. Well, it would likely be like Glider skins; almost exclusively Gem Store-only. So, yes, it might be a source of income, but not the way some might imagine.

Personally, I think I’d rather resources go toward something else; regardless, it is ArenaNet’s choice and I’m fine with that.

Amaimon.7823

I think players might be disappointed if mounts were introduced. There is much talk about ‘collecting’ them. Well, it would likely be like Glider skins; almost exclusively Gem Store-only. So, yes, it might be a source of income, but not the way some might imagine.

Personally, I think I’d rather resources go toward something else; regardless, it is ArenaNet’s choice and I’m fine with that.

Every “what do we want” thread becomes a “1 person says they want mounts, and 10 people explaing why that is simply not feasible”

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Every “what do we want” thread becomes a “1 person says they want mounts, and 10 people explaing why that is simply not feasible”

Of course those explaining that its not feasible are mistaken.

Perhaps not a good idea.

Not something that is of particular interest to me.

Potentially very expensive.

Likely to be disappointing because, based on the pattern set with gliders, mounts seem likely to be gem store items if ever implemented.

But certainly feasible.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Regardless of a mount’s functionality, I just don’t want to have to try to see around a winged norn on a giant winged lizard. The winged norn is bad enough.