Can we move the Mentor tag to a later tier?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tehkegz.8512

Tehkegz.8512

That would be great, everyone having the ability to tag up just isn’t a very good idea in my opinion. Not everyone can be responsible, and polite enough to know when to not use it.

It should simply be moved to a later tier in the mastery line, and not be the very first mastery most people obtain. Productive downtime (the current second tier in the Pact Commander mastery, would be perfect to be the first line.

Or, you could make the first line so that only your party can see your apple tag. Then, later in the mastery tiers, make it so the map can see it.

Any other ideas, or reasons why you like the tag being so easy to obtain are welcome

(edited by Tehkegz.8512)

Posted by: Dakarius.3284

Dakarius.3284

I like the fact that it’s easy to get, it makes it a non status symbol. After the novelty wears off the only ones who will use it will be those using it for its intended purpose.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

1) putting it in the first tier removes all prestige, making it unlikely that people will use it for that reason
2) it’s so easy to get the final tier, that anyone who wants that has it now
3) at the end, everyone will have that mastery line maxed anyway, so you’re back where you started, everyone has access to the tag and moving it did absolutely nothing.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I like it being so easy to obtain because it makes it a non-prestige symbol.

For this reason people are less likely to turn it on like they do with the commander tag just to show off, and potentially mislead players or map metas.

I’m actually more likely to go to a mentore tag than a commander tag at this stage, simply because the mentor tag is much more often tagged up in order to actually coordinate and lead stuff in a PvE map, while the commander tag is much more likely to just be showing off.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Grover.8753

Grover.8753

Yeah. If anything it shouldn’t be unlocked until you’ve maxed out Pact mastery. Better yet it should only unlock a pact merchant that sells you the tag for 200g + 1000 Crests. Even better Remove it entirely. Seems like one of those things that’s a good idea but implemented wrongly. Someone at Anet simply can’t afford a real tag so they threw the idea on the board " How about another tag for PvE that ANYONE can get. I don’t want to command in WvW and I don’t need anything special so why can’t I just have a visual tag that can be abused as a commander tag but not have to pay for it?"

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I earned the tag.
I turned it on.
I said to myself “Huh, well that’s interesting.” </Captain Jack Sparrow>
I turned it off.
I went on with my life.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

I earned the tag.
I turned it on.
I turned it off.
I went on with my life.

I think I used mine once during Halloween in the Labyrinth. I forget I even have it.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’d like it if there were several types of mentor tag for better context- e.g. a JP tag that I could pop up on NSS to show that I’m willing to help with that jp. I can see other people using a TRAIN tag to indicate that they’re on a champ train or something. It could help people indicate what particular area they know best or are helping with.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I earned the tag.
I turned it on.
I turned it off.
I went on with my life.

I did the same. Got it. Popped it. Said, huh. Turned it off.

It might be handy occasionally though. Let’s say I see a guild bounty that another guild is looking for. I can pop my tag and tell them it’s by me. Stuff like that. (If I can remember how to turn it on, that is).

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Cale.5372

Cale.5372

Yeah. If anything it shouldn’t be unlocked until you’ve maxed out Pact mastery. Better yet it should only unlock a pact merchant that sells you the tag for 200g + 1000 Crests. Even better Remove it entirely. Seems like one of those things that’s a good idea but implemented wrongly. Someone at Anet simply can’t afford a real tag so they threw the idea on the board " How about another tag for PvE that ANYONE can get. I don’t want to command in WvW and I don’t need anything special so why can’t I just have a visual tag that can be abused as a commander tag but not have to pay for it?"

So you spent 30 bucks on a commander tag and are now bitter that people get a “free” PvE only tag that one one ever uses?

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I must admit I’m surprised they made this first, and not auto loot first instead. But, I do think they put them in the right order if you consider order of importance.

In that regard, they certainly nailed it.

Gone to Reddit.

Grover.8753

So you spent 30 bucks on a commander tag and are now bitter that people get a “free” PvE only tag that one one ever uses?

30 bux? no no i spent 100g. I’m not bitter. It’s just pointless for everyone to have a tag given to them. They should have to earn it. You can’t mentor if you’re not good enough at your trade. You have to master it first. Everyone who thinks that people are just mad because others had to pay for a tag are only looking for a defensive argument for the mentor tag when there isn’t one. You are probably one of those people who couldn’t get a real tag.

Just a flesh wound.3589

30 bux? no no i spent 100g. I’m not bitter. It’s just pointless for everyone to have a tag given to them. They should have to earn it. You can’t mentor if you’re not good enough at your trade. You have to master it first. Everyone who thinks that people are just mad because others had to pay for a tag are only looking for a defensive argument for the mentor tag when there isn’t one. You are probably one of those people who couldn’t get a real tag.

Have to earn it. Hmmm. You mean like leveling to 80. Playing the game enough to earn mastery points and then playing the game some more and getting enough exp to get the mastery line filled up? Or do you mean earning it by plunking down enough gold to buy it?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: SpudBob.9036

SpudBob.9036

Let people have the tag, but only force people “looking for mentors” to see it (option in LFG or something). That way people can still be mentors earlier, but we don’t see places like the World Events Train where 90% of the people have floating apples above their heads.

Grover.8753

Have to earn it. Hmmm. You mean like leveling to 80. Playing the game enough to earn mastery points and then playing the game some more and getting enough exp to get the mastery line filled up? Or do you mean earning it by plunking down enough gold to buy it?

by earning the gold to buy it. by earning the completed mastery track. The new things they added called “Masteries” which requires 19 mastery points to complete. All of that makes sense. i don’t understand how you are confused.

Just a flesh wound.3589

by earning the gold to buy it. by earning the completed mastery track. The new things they added called “Masteries” which requires 19 mastery points to complete. All of that makes sense. i don’t understand how you are confused.

I’m not confused. I’m checking your level of confusion.

Masteries can actually require more gameplay and knowledge of the game than a commander tag, which could be “earned” by buying gold. Even if you get the gold in game, most ways of earning gold are irrelevant to using a commander tag properly and therefore don’t show that the tag was earned and most definitely don’t show that the person has the first clue on how to commander effectively.

ANet may give it to you.

Grover.8753

Masteries can actually require more gameplay and knowledge of the game than a commander tag, which could be “earned” by buying gold. Even if you get the gold in game, most ways of earning gold are irrelevant to using a commander tag properly and therefore don’t show that the tag was earned and most definitely don’t show that the person has the first clue on how to commander effectively.

but they earned the gold to buy it. which means they have knowledge of how to earn gold. most players can’t keep over 100g. Even more so now 300g. . And you’re exactly right. masteries require more knowledge of the game. Which is why it should be required you max the mastery before you can get the tag. but then again you can stand around leeching events all day and get masteries or sit in CoF spamming 1 and get your masteries.
So you think it’s more correct for anyone who can simply only unlock one mastery track (Tier 1 of 5) which requires minimum knowledge and skill in the game to be called a mentor than for someone who has spent countless hours playing through the game earning the required gold AND badges of honor. Too much of the “entitlement” boast coming from people nowadays. Gimme everything with no effort please. Oh well. I’m not gonna argue with you forum warrior. you spend more time on the forums arguing people than you do playing the game. So your opinion has no weight.

Strange, that’s what I think about your opinion, and your bought and paid for tag. ^^

Im glad to see you agree it should be earned.

(edited by Grover.8753)

Just a flesh wound.3589

but they earned the gold to buy it. which means they have knowledge of how to earn gold. most players can’t keep over 100g. Even more so now 300g. . And you’re exactly right. masteries require more knowledge of the game. Which is why it should be required you max the mastery before you can get the tag. but then again you can stand around leeching events all day and get masteries or sit in CoF spamming 1 and get your masteries.
So you think it’s more correct for anyone who can simply only unlock one mastery track (Tier 1 of 5) which requires minimum knowledge and skill in the game to be called a mentor than for someone who has spent countless hours playing through the game earning the required gold AND badges of honor. Too much of the “entitlement” boast coming from people nowadays. Gimme everything with no effort please. Oh well. I’m not gonna argue with you forum warrior. you spend more time on the forums arguing people than you do playing the game. So your opinion has no weight.

Strange, that’s what I think about your opinion, and your bought and paid for tag. ^^

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i don’t see any problem with the apple tag. some people have the commander tag but still pop out apple tag from time to time. myself included.

earlier or later tier doesn’t really matter. people who have it usually finished the Pact Commander Mastery anyway…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

The Mentor tag should just be removed as a bad idea. Players aren’t using it to mentor, they are using it for vanity. Especially with that “Mentor” in chat.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

the mentor tag is an easy to get commander tag. which in my opinion should be removed or only useable in lower level areas.

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

this pretty much

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I suppose they could remove the mentor tag and replace it with a bigger, uglier tag that can only be seen by players who think that other players should not have tags. ;p

TBH, they could remove commander tags completely from PvE. No-one ever truly commands the zerg in PvE so maybe those tags should be WvW only where commanding is a real thing?

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

What difference does it make what Tier it is on, even if they put it on the last Tier people would still get it superfast due to the,

CoF P1 Farming Mastery points that Anet said was OK.

The number of people ive seen running around with 100+ Mastery level is a joke, you can easily spot the players who are playing the game, vs those who have spent a week in CoF grinding.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

A week? What were you doing? I spend 8 maybe 9 hours and was done…. with all tyrian collections… I’ve not played tyria since launch except for that specific day…. Now I’m returning doing some dungeons and WB’s for the rev skins… Oh and you can get 100+ mastery points in The Maguuma Jungle… just so you know… 49 for Tyria, 112 for the jungle…

SO either ppl have 49 points from tryia and 51+ from HoT or they have just HoT maxed… We have 8 ppl in our guild with 161 masteries already. Only 3 of them have said they were farming (either COF or Spiders or both)

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

Anet ought to add a way to see/hide each type of tag. But Mentor tags should be visible by default, so that new players can see them.
If Mentor tags are only visible to people “looking for mentors” , then new players would have to know how to use that tool in order to get Mentor help. (unless they turned on the “looking for mentors” flag by default)