Can we please have less "Particle" Armor?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

I want the option to completely remove particle effects when you customize armor since all the new armor seems to have it all over the place, it makes it so its almost impossible to combine with other pieces of armor which IMO is one of the reasons I bought the game: Customization.

Why have all new sets of gear if its impossible to combine with the older gear? It simply does not make any sense.

COF Armor would be great for example, if I could either color the fire to green or blue and then get the option to completely remove it. So would the dredge armor.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

That’s actually something I was thinking of a couple of days ago.

How it’d be amazing if you could do slight modification to some armors. For example turn the fire off on the CoF armor, or for example choose to hide the gears from the new Aetherblade armors – slight customization to armor, like an on off switch.

I feel like it wouldn’t be too complicated of a thing to do and would really go a long way for personalizing your look. I for one completely neglect some armors for these reasons.

The CoF armor set would be my down right favorite armor in the entire game if I could remove the flames. Because of those flames I just don’t use it at all.

Daecollo.9578

That’s actually something I was thinking of a couple of days ago.

How it’d be amazing if you could do slight modification to some armors. For example turn the fire off on the CoF armor, or for example choose to hide the gears from the new Aetherblade armors – slight customization to armor, like an on off switch.

I feel like it wouldn’t be too complicated of a thing to do and would really go a long way for personalizing your look. I for one completely neglect some armors for these reasons.

The CoF armor set would be my down right favorite armor in the entire game if I could remove the flames. Because of those flames I just don’t use it at all.

Yes, I love COF armor. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE THE FLAME… If I could remove that.. I would wear it immediately on my thief.

Delryn.7235

I would love the light armor for a necro, it’s ragged and torn and looks overall creepy… but it’s on fire… with lava arms…

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

All the armor is either silly or demonic. It clearly isn’t designed for the western world. But since American players account for only 1% of their (ncsoft) player base I doubt they’ll worry about what we want.

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

All the armor is either silly or demonic. It clearly isn’t designed for the western world. But since American players account for only 1% of their (ncsoft) player base I doubt they’ll worry about what we want.

What? Have you seen the kind of armor sets other Western MMOs have? A lot of the high-end stuff has fire and skulls everywhere. WoW characters are practically wearing entire continents on their shoulders and helms by now. I’m not a fan of over the top armor design either, but considering how popular armor sets and weapons with particle effects are in GW2, these new sets are pretty clearly being made with the desires of current players in mind.

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

I’d love to be able to hide a few bits and pieces of certain armors. Like the frills on the norn cultural T3 medium shoulder armor, which clip horribly with every long hair style. Or the silly puff on the back of the chest piece of the same set…one can but dream…

Posted by: Monstrosity.8621

Monstrosity.8621

Huh, this game is made for specifically for a western audience by an American company. NCsoft is a publisher for this game not a developer and they don’t tell Anet what kind of armor to make. The armor in this game isn’t near as bad as in some Asian mmos.

Posted by: Jackrabbit.2079

Jackrabbit.2079

^
Also no plate armor bikinis either.

On topic, I like particle effects but they do impede mixing and matching. A toggle for them would be perfect.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

…not to mention what it does to lower end processor owners in zergs…

Posted by: Soulmyr.8094

Soulmyr.8094

What CoF armor is suddenly considered “new”? Also this game has huge variety of armor with 0 particles, besides CoF there is hardly any.

Posted by: Uhaen.9876

Uhaen.9876

Whoa, slow down. There are still a lot of armor sets without particles on them; lemme get my hands on particle armor. I still play EQ, and I’ve been staring at the same plate armor graphics as I have been since 2001. Particles on armor are still cool to me.

~Terraa

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

I want the option to completely remove particle effects when you customize armor since all the new armor seems to have it all over the place, it makes it so its almost impossible to combine with other pieces of armor which IMO is one of the reasons I bought the game: Customization.

Why have all new sets of gear if its impossible to combine with the older gear? It simply does not make any sense.

COF Armor would be great for example, if I could either color the fire to green or blue and then get the option to completely remove it. So would the dredge armor.

Citadel of FLAME is fire gear themed at the Fire Legion. These “particle effects”, as you so call them, are fire…red fire. Changing their color won’t make sense. If you don’t like the set, there are many others out there that look differently and some don’t even have particle effects/glow at all.

What problem you have is that you got the CoF set, which in my opinion looks as ugly as a Skritt’s behind, and can’t seem to combine it with anything to make it look good. That’s more or less a problem with that set, not the new gear pieces or particle pieces.

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

I’m in the opposite camp on this one. I love the particle effects. I wish there were more armors that had them.

Delryn.7235

My issue isn’t just with particle affect armor, it’s just that there aren’t a lot of nice, sleek, simple looking high end late game armors.

There’s the low level armors which look exactly that, low level. Then there are some nice looking mid level armors, and the majority of outrageous looking high level armor.

Yeah I can wear the simple low level armor if I want but it doesn’t come with any prestige, and to be fair it’s still only so so.

I’m not saying “REMOVE THE OVER THE TOP ARMORS FROM THE GAME!”, I’m just saying add more simple and/or elegant armors.

On that note, I must say though that GW2 is one of the best games I’ve played in a while when it comes to female armors.

Everything they have in game is reasonable, there’s no metallic bikinis anywhere. There’s sexier armor but it’s not unreasonable, and you have the choice to wear the kind of armor you want; doesn’t have to be revealing and doesn’t have to be modest.

But… I play males and not females and I’m slightly dissatisfied by the male armors, I think they all look too clunky and bulky, even light armor.

Compare male arah to female arah – female arah looks so much smoother and elegant. The female shoulders look great while the male shoulders looks like a mass of… of I don’t know what, it’s so ugly.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Remove all particles from the game. The majority of people will obviously LOVE it so much that they’ll be jumping to another game in a blink of an eye.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

The option to turn off the flames on the CoF set would make me seriously consider acquiring and wearing that set. There’s just something sort of cliché to me about burning shoulders.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yeah I can wear the simple low level armor if I want but it doesn’t come with any prestige, and to be fair it’s still only so so.

Just for your information – if you go for looks, go for looks. If you are interested in prestige, then… i guess there are no really prestigious armors in this game anyway.

Besides, the “prestige” type armor will always come with particle effects, light beams, whistles, fairy dust clouds and possibly loud announcements, because it’s only function is to make the character noticeable. Good looking, but modest armor sets clearly lack that function – wearing one you won’t stand out in a crowd or be noticeable from half a map away.

Either you want to look good, or want to be noticed. The second comes with particle effects because they draw attention.
People that want “prestige” must sacrifice aestethics in order to be noticed.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Daecollo.9578

I just want the cool armor without the flashlights/lava/fire attached.

Delryn.7235

Just for your information – if you go for looks, go for looks. If you are interested in prestige, then… i guess there are no really prestigious armors in this game anyway.

Besides, the “prestige” type armor will always come with particle effects, light beams, whistles, fairy dust clouds and possibly loud announcements, because it’s only function is to make the character noticeable. Good looking, but modest armor sets clearly lack that function – wearing one you won’t stand out in a crowd or be noticeable from half a map away.

Either you want to look good, or want to be noticed. The second comes with particle effects because they draw attention.

That’s not true even slightly. There’s a lot of armors in many games including GW2 which are prestigious and don’t have lasers shooting out of it; Arah for example.

Arah is a pretty prestigious armor, difficult to acquire and doesn’t have particle effects, it’s a very pretty end game armor I think.

When I say prestigious I don’t exactly mean attention calling, legendaries are prestigious and attention calling, I find them all ugly thus I ignore them and I’m happy that way.

We just need more hard to get, end game simpler armors. Honor of the Wave armors are pretty simple looking and they’re a dungeon armor, so yeah.

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

I just want a way to put down the goggles on my medium aetherblade armor.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Delryn.7235

I just want a way to put down the goggles on my medium aetherblade armor.

Me too… me too :c

See, if we had that on off button for slight armor alterations that would be an option maybe.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

What CoF armor is suddenly considered “new”? Also this game has huge variety of armor with 0 particles, besides CoF there is hardly any.

^^ this right here, seriously it is one of the few particle armors in the game if anything the should add more not remove the only one there is.

And people complaining about this is insane and ignorant !
what impacts your system right now is not armor particle effects it’s the spell particle effects that are rampant all over the place lol.

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Well with everyone running around in a CoF set/Arah set with Dragon wings or tentacles, it definitely makes me say "Oh look that guy is so unique with his twlight and all abyss armor!…….along with the other 5 people around him wearing the same set! " Though tbh though it brings me much joy when i run into these types of outfitted characters in WvW. Makes it all the more satisfying to dunk them. Especially when they try ganking you solo.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

That’s not true even slightly. There’s a lot of armors in many games including GW2 which are prestigious and don’t have lasers shooting out of it; Arah for example.

Arah is a pretty prestigious armor, difficult to acquire and doesn’t have particle effects, it’s a very pretty end game armor I think.

Okay, i’ll try to explain it in more detail, since i don’t think i was understood.

When you pick an armor, it can be due to one of three (well, four) reasons.

Let’s ignore two of them (for stats, and for easy availability – i.e. from drops), because these are irrelevant to this discussion, and concentrate on the last two.

First, you can choose your armor based on looks. Aestethics tied to this choice are simple – armor must look good. For some it can mean particles, while other people (like me) prefer more realistic and less over-the-top armors.

Second, you can choose your armor for the prestige. Primary function of the prestige armor is not to look good – it is to show off your accomplishments to the world.
Thus, it has to be easily recognizable, easily noticeable and attention drawing.
Good looks are completely secondary, and something that has to be sacrificed if it would conflict with the primary funcion.
CoF armor is a better prestige armor than Arah, even if the second is significantly harder to obtain.

If you go for both prestige and good looks, prepare to be disappointed, because armor sets that cater for these two functions follow different aestethic principles

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

There’s a grand total of 1 armor in game that currently has particles, CoF. Less than that would be 0 and while I wouldn’t mind too much, having more options is always a good thing. The 2 new sets seem to have particles, but at the same time the recently released steampunk armor has none. I think we can suit both tastes

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

I’d love a slider to reduce/remove particle effects entirely. During big battles, they create massive amounts of lag and make it almost impossible to see. I am prone to migraines, and all the flashing and shimmering can trigger them. Makes it a bit hard to do events sometimes.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

That’s my biggest “pet peeve” with GW2… way to much “silly” fluff. Not only the armors, but also the stupid looking plush or tentacle backpacks.
I love the game, but I’d have loved if it had taken a more “serious” route when it comes to gear.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

That’s my biggest “pet peeve” with GW2… way to much “silly” fluff. Not only the armors, but also the stupid looking plush or tentacle backpacks.
I love the game, but I’d have loved if it had taken a more “serious” route when it comes to gear.

See I think a mix is kind of nice. On my warrior, I want her to wear ‘serious’ armour to show that she is a fighter, and I use a greatsword which is fancy, but not…outside the realm of earthly physics (it’s the one with the same model as Dawn.) On my ranger, on the other hand, I use the Sylvari cultural armour which would probably not protect from anything except perhaps a mild burn (looks like aloe), and I love my silly plush quaggan backpack because I am goofball.

Obviously I wouldn’t want everything in the game to look really over-the-top; sometimes a subtle, practical or realistic effect is perfect. But other characters suit ‘silly’ or ‘fantastic’ a bit more, perhaps if they are a magic-based class like mesmers which require some suspension of disbelief or ‘unrealism’ in general, if that makes sense.

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

Posted by: Nova.8021

Nova.8021

I also have to disagree, if anything, I think they should make more elementally inspired particle armor variety. If you don’t like it then there are plenty of armors without particle effects in the game.

I can see how this would bother an RPer, but I like absurdly extravagant shoulder armor and the like. Although more customization would always be good and I agree with that. It is the phrasing of the title I don’t agree with.

Posted by: lmaonade.9207

lmaonade.9207

^
Also no plate armor bikinis either.

On topic, I like particle effects but they do impede mixing and matching. A toggle for them would be perfect.

Have you tried the Gladiator’s Chest + Orrian Leg combo?