Can we/will we ever get Fishing?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: wrathmagik.3518

wrathmagik.3518

Fishing is probably one my favourite things to do in all MMO’s i play and gw2 has so much water in it, its a shame its not more utilized.

I know its probably not coming in POF, but are we EVER going to get fishing in gw2?

Posted by: SmirkDog.3160

SmirkDog.3160

I can’t wait for people to figure out how to AFK fish so they can periodically make 5 copper while they’re doing something else instead of playing the game.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Fishing is extremely easy to create a bot for, and its hard to differentiate between fishing bots and players fishing, so unless the fishing doesnt really provide anything useful, in which case not many people would do it , its more trouble than its worth.
Mainly the enforcing of players complaining about fishing bots.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Fishing is not an epic adventure.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: Snarftastic.6709

Snarftastic.6709

The only way to make finishing not bottable (or extremely difficult to) is to literally put it in like FFXV had it, that was fun.

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

Ah yes, lets let botters decide what we can or cannot do.

People that enjoy fishing, yours truly included, tend to be nature inspired and not after huge rewards.

A nice broad spectrum of fish, ranging from common to very rare and a few achievement points attached to it… ye know, for that lovely ZING when you hit the sweet spot after months of meditative dedication.

Maybe a selfmade deco or two for the Home instance? A few new recipe’s for some lowlevel cooking? Nothing expensive or wanted or even remotely useful or sellable in any way.

Personally i’d go for the recipe’s. Just so you can keep your catch and make something from it. Perhaps even to feed a few cats here and there with some soulbound fishes?

Lots of ways to make it into a nice little niche for the Fishermen(women) among us

Fishing…. mmmmm, yes please!

(edited by Abakk.9176)

wrathmagik.3518

Fishing is extremely easy to create a bot for, and its hard to differentiate between fishing bots and players fishing, so unless the fishing doesnt really provide anything useful, in which case not many people would do it , its more trouble than its worth.

Theres bots for EVERYTHING in gw2 already.

wrathmagik.3518

I can’t wait for people to figure out how to AFK fish so they can periodically make 5 copper while they’re doing something else instead of playing the game.

You mean like they do now with rangers and pets and looting?

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

If you keep asking for it, it will come. Look what happened with mounts

Posted by: akenoyuki.8210

akenoyuki.8210

^
[Guild Wars 2 : Children of The Sea]
Do you want to fish the underwater elder dragon using jungle wurm as a bait? :p

Joke aside, I don’t think this will be implemented as a fully 24/7 reward system where you can just AFK idly with auto-fishing and get items as long as you have enough bait.

BUT! If it going to be implemented, maybe it will be one of this:
- mini-game on home instance
- new gathering nodes near the beach or sea with new tools (fishing rod) using ammunition system (bait)

- Guild Wars 2 Helper Android App -
* Event Timer (including HoT Meta), Daily, WvW, Pact Supply, Account. Trading Post, etc:
* Google Playstore Link

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Fishing will be implemented when we go after Bubbles the Sea Dragon.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: Doombringer BG.3740

Doombringer BG.3740

Everyone wants fishing and all I want is skinning and gutting animals like in Age of Wushu. >.>

Posted by: sakura.7961

sakura.7961

You can already fish?

More violets, less violence.

Posted by: Irreverent.3594

Irreverent.3594

Stahp i’m starting to get Black Desert and ESO flashbacks..

But actually underwater harpoon/spear fishing would be easy to implement because technically we already do that.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

^

Somehow the image this created in my head was just too ridiculous, so I had to share with you. This is what epic fishing in GW2 would look like!

Attachments:

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: akenoyuki.8210

akenoyuki.8210

^

Somehow the image this created in my head was just too ridiculous, so I had to share with you. This is what epic fishing in GW2 would look like!

LOL, luring the underwater dragon with detached wurm head to create tsunami in lion arch.
That’s indeed an EPIC fishing! xD

- Guild Wars 2 Helper Android App -
* Event Timer (including HoT Meta), Daily, WvW, Pact Supply, Account. Trading Post, etc:
* Google Playstore Link

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

^

I officially award you The Internet for Today.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Emmalouise.1763

Emmalouise.1763

I would love to fish, but I would also like to hunt – to kill for leather

www.girlgamerchronicles.com

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Fishing is in the game. Write how you want to modify it.
Standing on the side of a bit of water doing something, waiting a minute or random amount of time then doing something then waiting a random amount of time then doing something is to me the most horrendously boring thing to do ever. Not to say they won’t but everything they have done up to now indicates they want people to actively do things in game. The glory of AFK fishing is not really what I see as a goal for them.

Yargesh.4965

Every map ever and Lake Doric

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Fishing will be implemented when we go after Bubbles the Sea Dragon.

Yes, fishing will be part of the masteries of the Expac 3 “FoB”.

scnr.

Emmalouise.1763

Physically go and hunt and skin things?

Yargesh.4965

Since you physically get them in your bags, yes. Animation of doing so no. To me a trivial point.

Emmalouise.1763

Since you physically get them in your bags, yes. Animation of doing so no. To me a trivial point.

hmm its not a trivial point. The OP is talking about a skill being added to the game, we get leather from salvaging random items that are nothing like animals and a random drop in our bag, like you said.

I was simply saying I would like to have fishing as a skill and also hunting. You could hunt and kill for all kinds of things, have it as a mastery if you wish – but there is, skin, bones, skulls, meat, feathers, scales, claws, all kinds of things that could be collected.

yes, I am aware we get these randomly dropped into our bags. Whether in your eyes it is right or wrong and should or shouldn’t be added, it was a suggestion for a side skill, a physical activity to do in game aside from all the other stuff.

You could even stretch it as far as having a guild event/mission to track and hunt a beast, with different difficulty levels by using different sills and tactics, and maybe obtain a guild hall trophy of some kind.

(edited by Emmalouise.1763)

Posted by: Beda Zzle.5281

Beda Zzle.5281

I also have wanted fishing in GW2 since forever… I love fishing ingame with ingame rain and sometimes fishing at night with a fire nearby… ahh well .. one day.

Posted by: Kirson.1257

Kirson.1257

Fishing is in the game. Write how you want to modify it.

Sure, by diving underwater and harpooning salmon.
This is more of a tangentially related thing to the fishing topic, but this all just popped into my head right now and I’m making it up as I go along. I’d like to see an alternative to swimming on the surface of the water. Paddling across the lake and being soaked to the bone doesn’t feel very heroic.

Not unlike deploying a Glider out of nowhere, I’d like to have some kind of small raft-like vehicle that players can use to cross bodies of water. A small raft, rowboat, canoe, magic hovercraft, a lilypad, a comically small steamboat… Unlike the current design where swimming on the surface locks you out of everything, you could have access to some skills. When your character is Downed underwater and scrambles to the surface, rather than just gasping for air for half a minute, they could instead be animated trying to climb on to their raft.

Now, carrying that raft idea on for fishing, instead of “standing on the side of a lake, casting a line randomly and waiting”, player characters have their own personal seaworthy vessel on which they go fishing. You don’t just stand still and wait for a catch, you go out on to the surface of the water and actively search for areas with higher density/quality fish, using Spearfishing, Netting and Angling to catch different things. The surface would be littered with a significant number of simple bubbling effects that indicate the presence of fish. Sailing close to them will have them quickly move out of the way, so you need to do your fishing from a distance (with the exception of the second fishing method below).

The three different methods have different mechanics.
Spearfishing in general would be the fastest minigame of timing and leading your shots, manually aiming an AOE targeting reticle and pressing 1 to harpoon quickly moving fish nodes near the surface. Being the fastest, Spearfishing rewards you mostly with medium sized fish and chum to use as bait for Angling. You might also end up spawning a hostile monster you’ll have to spear a few more times before it reaches you and knocks you off the raft.

Netting would have the effect of being a sort of Sprint skill on the water surface, useful for both travel and fishing. When you press 2, your vessel automatically moves forward at a high speed for about five seconds and the fishing nodes won’t try to move away from you for the duration (so herding a handful of nodes in advance so you can net them all would be advantageous). During this sprint, you steer left or right (no instant turning with a mouse) and any fish nodes you pass over during that time will get you small or medium fish. The more nodes you cross over in a single Netting sprint, the catch bonus exponentially increases, a very high Netting bonus might get you an item.

Angling would be counter to the typical MMO “waiting” fishing of many other games and instead you get a bite almost immediately; the focus is on the fight – a give and take to wear down the fish, tug and slowly reel it in without snapping your line. As what should be the most challenging of the three, Angling is the one that would earn the biggest rare catches and chance for treasure.
You press 3, wait no more than 3-5 seconds for the casting animation and bite, your skillbar changes to a set of fishing related skills for the battle. Angling will require simple bait to be used, however whenever you use Spearfishing or Netting, you gain some Bait as a resource.

Recap in a Skill Description way, you get a seaworthy water glider. When on the surface of the water, you get four skills.
1. Spearfishing – AOE target the surface of the water. Successfully hitting a moving fishing point will earn a small Fish or spawn an enemy. Earns 1 Bait.
2. Netting – Sail quickly across the water for five seconds, scooping up multiple fish in a row. Press A and D to steer. Earns 1 Bait per every two fishing points covered.
3. Angling – Equip a fishing rod skillset and cast a line. Requires 1 Bait*
4. Embark/Disembark – Dive into the water or climb back on to your vessel when on the surface.

*Angling Skills – Your health bar represents the fishing line. If it drops to zero, the line breaks, you tumble out of your vessel and need to recover.
1. Pull Left – Use when the fish is tugging hard to the right to guide them towards the boat. A fish that veers off too much to one side has a chance of escaping.
2. Hard Reel – Close the distance quickly while causing a lot of stress on the line. Using this on a Fish in the Determined state will cause extra harm to you.
3. Pull Right – Use when the fish is tugging hard to the left to guide them towards the boat. A fish that veers off too much to one side has a chance of escaping.
4. Slack – Ease up on the line to recover health. Best used when the Fish is in the Thrashing state to minimize its own recovery.
5. Cut The Line – Surrender the fish and return to sailing.

Something like that. I think that having “water mounts” would be nice, and to accommodate their inclusion, making fishing active like this would make it fun for players, rather demanding for bots to automate, and not a thing where you’re just waiting around as a passive moneymaking scheme.

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

I remember spending ages fishing in, I think it was Breath of Fire 3 (a great game), no idea why, but I just got addicted to the fishing mini game part, there was something relaxing about it. So I’d love fishing in GW2!

If done as a mini game that requires timing or skill then I’m sure that would minimise any botting & the AFKers. If it didn’t then they could always limit the amount you could catch in one day, sort of like a fishing quota to make it sustainable fishing.

Posted by: Sparrow.8423

Sparrow.8423

Fishing is extremely easy to create a bot for…

That’s a very defeated attitude. All it takes is a little creativity and game developers have oodles of that!

I enjoy fishing in games as well and would love to see this added to GW2.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

How can you possibly state that it’s extremely easy to create a bot for something that doesn’t even exist?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Still waiting for the tuna we can dive into the water after to give fish loot, so we don’t have to passively sit around with a fishing rod.

For that matter, still waiting for literally half the game’s skills to work underwater. (More than half, for Revenant’s case…)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

We will get fishing when the studio figures out how to make fishing a jumping puzzle.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Don’t give up! There is hope!

Those longing for a Bard elite spec just got the Sheet Music Glider, so keep posting and you may get the Mystic Whaler Glider! All your hopes and dreams fulfilled!

Posted by: JackOfAllGames.2409

JackOfAllGames.2409

I must admit, I like fishing in my games. Something to do on occasionally when I just want to relax. I’d love to see what Anet might do to such a system too.

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

I’ve never understood fishing in game. I’m a Minnesotan, I can go and do the real thing fairly easily.

Hate is Fuel.

(edited by The Greyhawk.9107)

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

I think this would be a good add for the game its self . given how much of it I did in world of Warcraft . and in real life got to say I fully enjoy both and hope the drevs add it. and let us use our catch for crafting like wow does

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you keep asking for it, it will come. Look what happened with mounts

Mounts have been in the planning stages for ages. They didn’t get added because players demanded them; they got added because ANet always wanted them.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: suicidalspectre.8106

suicidalspectre.8106

I’d rather see a CCG or something similar. Some strategy, not just mindless clicking.

Posted by: quietonewisp.4316

quietonewisp.4316

flashes back to Stardew Valley pls no fishing, I can’t take the stress or the lack of inventory space

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

Grab a speargun, spear, or trident, and jump right in. Southsun tuna’s the best around this time of year.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

MMO’s are all about wasting time. I can think of no greater waste of time in an MMO than virtual fishing. Sounds like a perfect fit for ANet devs to waste time implementing.

Posted by: timkunedo.4392

timkunedo.4392

I would love fishing. It’s one of my favorite things to do in MMOs as well.

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

Fishing could also be combined with the event mechanic. E.g. a certain amout of catched fish has to be thrown back into the water within a time limit to draw attention of a special champ or legendary mob. So besides the single activity this could fit pretty well into GW2.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

flashes back to Stardew Valley pls no fishing, I can’t take the stress or the lack of inventory space

you can always buy more bag slots from the trading post . to take away your problem of lack of inventory space . good luck

no new system upgrades coming

Psientist.6437

MMO’s are all about wasting time. I can think of no greater waste of time in an MMO than virtual fishing. Sounds like a perfect fit for ANet devs to waste time implementing.

How many levels of time wasting is that? I need to see this as a formula. Is it TW x TW x TW, TW/TW/TW? Looks like there could even be a square root of TW in there!

Finn the human

Psientist.6437

I think the term ‘angling’ better describes what we are asking for than the term ‘fishing’. If the pro-angling coalition adopts the term ‘angling’ it would eliminate some of the “but there is fishing, we can kill fish” responses. Not all of them, but the remaining are easily countered by pointing to the term ‘angling’.

Some of my ideas on how angling could be designed.

Premise: The flesh of fish species is delicate and heros are freeken brutes. Attacking and killing a fish doesn’t leave any usable flesh.

A mastery system that unlocks a fishing pole as a two handed weapon for all professions (with or without profession specific skills) and utility skills such as “Use Net”, “Use Gaff”, and “Jig”.

Fish have a HP bar and a break bar. The goal is to deplete the break bar before the HP bar is depleted. Hooking a fish could start HP degen and skills could effect one or both bars.

The extra break bar could be given to existing fish and angling would be another way to fight a mob. If existing fish were used then I don’t think it would be too weird to have fishing poles work underwater as well. The problem with using existing fish is the whole ‘everyone can target a mob’ thing, so we will have to get rid of kill credit sharing. Just kidding. I think fisherpeople, I mean anglers, would be willing to look for instances of fish without a crowd of people. If using existing fish risks too much trolling (ha get it? trolling!) then existing fish could be supplemented with fish created by the act of angling.

I would put all of the fishing gear (fishing poles, lures) into one new crafting discipline that is big enough to contribute to overall economic activity and demand for gold . Gate fish with gear levels the same way current mobs are gated with gear levels. Throw in some angler outfits in the gem shop.

Finn the human

Posted by: TheOrlyFactor.8341

TheOrlyFactor.8341

Unless you’re punching and wrestling the fish with your bare hands. :^)

Playing GW2 for the story is like expecting plot in a porno. You’ll be left disappointed.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Unless you’re punching and wrestling the fish with your bare hands. :^)

Do it with the right battle music, and it can feel epic. Learned that from FFXV. :P
..which actually wasn’t a bad fishing system. Not that we need one.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632