Can you invest in your...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Beast Sos.1457

Beast Sos.1457

Can you invest in your own game Anet? Gw2 is a huge game with so many players yet the amount of content we get is less than a F2P MMO like Tera. Gw2 has both a box value and a cash to gem conversion. They are banking and to say other wise is being delusional.

This game sold almost 3mil copies, if not more, within the first few months of release. I personally put hundreds into gems and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Most of the people I know in-game at least bought gems once with real life cash. Lets say HoT sold 2mil copies which is fair imo, that means off HoT alone Anet made 120 mil thats not including the $79.99 version or the $100 version that I bought. Where did that money go?! Clearly not into the game since its been months without any new content.

The death of Gw2 will be the lack of content added by Anet. Since HoT release we haven’t got kitten. Most of development goes into the gem store not into real content. Personally I log on to Raid and thats about it, and even those are getting boring since thats all there is to do in the game. WvW is dead dungeons are dead Open World PvE is fun once in a long WHILE but not every kitten day. The one thing I do do other than raiding now is the new PvP season, only reason is for the legendary back piece though, which is time gated like a mother kittener.

So where is all the money going?!

To all those people saying that developing content takes time. OF COURSE IT DOES! No one is saying it doesn’t but the amount of content we got in HoT was that of a DLC. Tell me this. If the achievements and MP weren’t there how much time would you really spend in HoT. How long do you think that content holds. For a company who is making the amount they do we should get much more content with these “expansions” and because we didn’t there should have been much more content released by now. The evidence is in the PURE F2P MMOs like Tera which adds much more content. Hell even WIldstar the MMO on the verge of death almost releases as much as Anet.

(edited by Beast Sos.1457)

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Your post is predicated on conjecture, straw-man arguments, anecdotal evidence, and other logical fallacies.

~EW

Beast Sos.1457

Your post is predicated on conjecture, straw-man arguments, anecdotal evidence, and other logical fallacies.

~EW

W.e you say man…lmao

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You can always try a billion dollar per year income game like WoW. They add new content almost every year.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Beast Sos.1457

You can always try a billion dollar per year income game like WoW. They add new content almost every year.

So because one company does something kittenty, it justifies Anets following suit?

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

~EW

W.e you say man…lmao

he pretty much right bro lmao

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Beast Sos.1457

~EW

W.e you say man…lmao

Explain?

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Lets say HoT sold 2mil copies which is fair imo, that means off HoT alone Anet made 120 mil thats not including the $79.99 version or the $100 version that I bought. Where did that money go?! Clearly not into the game since its been months without any new content.

That seems a little misleading. You might be able to estimate a minimum total income from HoT, but without knowing its development costs, that doesn’t give us the actual profit. $120million is a big number, but it’s not a particularly useful one here, without more context.

I don’t raid or PvP, so I haven’t had a lot of new stuff going on besides HoT, and I’m eagerly looking forward to whatever we get next, but it doesn’t help to throw around numbers without necessary context.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Just a flesh wound.3589

So because one company does something kittenty, it justifies Anets following suit?

It’s only been 4 months since the expansion. Don’t be so impatient. They’re working on more content and they’ll release it when they’ve finished.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Balian.3849

Balian.3849

WvW is certainly not dead on many servers. Unless you’re NA playing at 3am.

Profits from sales go toward keeping the company stable, keeping servers up, paying employees, benefits, development, support and hundreds of other things. It’s clear that you have no idea the amount of work and financing a company like Anet needs. The game is FTP for many people, and these sales you’re talking about from base and HoT expansion; guess what? One time deal. That means that money needs to last until they release another expansion to replenish funds. If you think gem purchases are enough to sustain a large company and enable them to constantly push out new content then you really aren’t as smart as you think you are.

If open world pve is boring, dungeons are boring, and raids are boring; why are you playing the game? Don’t expect Anet to cater to you because you’re bored when there are thousands of active players who aren’t anywhere close to bored. You sound like a spoiled child.

~EW

Nicely sums up your argument. Too bad you’re too biased to realize it.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

~EW

W.e you say man…lmao

No he’s really not.

Conjecture is the formation of a conclusion while excluding evidence. Unless somebody round here has ears inside ANets office, he’s used all the evidence he, and we, have, being largely personal experience. He’s seen similar support given to ANet that has been given other games, and those games seem to have greater output from that support. No conjecture whatsoever.

Straw man fallacy… doesn’t even make sense in this context. It’s attacking an argument that your opponent didn’t make. Who was his opponent prior to this persons post and what argument did they make? Especially seeing as he was the very first poster after the OP.

Anecdotal evidence, is just evidence based on personal experience, again, this is a forum made for player to share their opinion based on their experience playing the game. And unless somebody here is a developer, it’s the only evidence anybody has.

Not saying the OPs right, but the first poster is just some jerk getting off on making other people feel inferior using buzzwords he doesn’t even know the meaning of, and he doesn’t make any point at all, let alone a correct one.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: revodeel.2651

revodeel.2651

~EW

Game. Set. Match.

Do not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

While I don’t want to say I agree with the first post, I do think it’s actually close to a good point. ANet doesn’t seem to get much “bang” out of its development work.

Yes, I realize that a lot of LS seasons 1&2 was trying new things, and a lot of HoT was supposed to be creating systems that will allow for growth later, but… It’s been 3 1/2 years, now. If they can’t start to really deliver on the content, then they’re never going to. At least, now as they are now.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Balian.3849

Balian.3849

~EW

W.e you say man…lmao

No he’s really not.

Conjecture is the formation of a conclusion while excluding evidence. Unless somebody round here has ears inside ANets office, he’s used all the evidence he, and we, have, being largely personal experience and viewpoint.

Straw man fallacy… doesn’t even make sense in this context. It’s attacking an argument that your opponent didn’t make. Who was his opponent prior to this persons post and what argument did they make? Especially seeing as he was the very first poster after the OP.

Anecdotal evidence, is just evidence based on personal experience, already covered that.

In short, he’s just somejerk getting off on making other people feel inferior using buzzwords he doesn’t even know the meaning of.

Excluding any financial statements from Anet on earnings / cost relativity. In fact, he offers NO evidence whatsoever to back up any single point he’s made. Personal Experience and Viewpoint =/= evidence.

“Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person’s actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position”

Straw-man arguments because he’s saying “Anet isn’t doing X” when he really has no idea. He’s attacking them based on zero evidence provided. I think it’s a pretty clear misrepresented version of what Anet is doing, since he has no idea.

As for anecdotal evidence, “there is a larger chance that they may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases.”

Such as saying that all the content is boring…

Any other questions?

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

Can you invest in your own game Anet? Gw2 is a huge game with so many players yet the amount of content we get is less than a F2P MMO like Tera. Gw2 has both a box value and a cash to gem conversion. They are banking and to say other wise is being delusional.

This game sold almost 3mil copies, if not more, within the first few months of release. I personally put hundreds into gems and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Most of the people I know in-game at least bought gems once with real life cash. Lets say HoT sold 2mil copies which is fair imo, that means off HoT alone Anet made 120 mil thats not including the $79.99 version or the $100 version that I bought. Where did that money go?! Clearly not into the game since its been months without any new content.

The death of Gw2 will be the lack of content added by Anet. Since HoT release we haven’t got kitten. Most of development goes into the gem store not into real content. Personally I log on to Raid and thats about it, and even those are getting boring since thats all there is to do in the game. WvW is dead dungeons are dead Open World PvE is fun once in a long WHILE but not every kitten day. The one thing I do do other than raiding now is the new PvP season, only reason is for the legendary back piece though, which is time gated like a mother kittener.

Apparently you have not been around long. Up until HoT we got an amazing amount of new content all for FREE, particularly during season 1 when we were getting new stuff every few weeks. Yes, much of that content was transitory as Anet was trying something novel by creating a dynamic “Living World” that was constantly changing and evolving. Personally I loved it. It was creative and new. Unfortunately, many players are stuck in the past with the old framework of periodic, permanent expansions that just tag-on more dungeons, maps, or whatever. But regardless, GW2 has had a considerable amount of new content released since it was launched. All Your post says to me is that you are new to this game have not been around at all. Also, wtf… you are complaining that no new content has been released since HoT? HoT has ONLY been out for 4 months! Clearly you have no idea what is involved with game design and development at this level.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Content takes time to develop. We all want more content, but most of us understand things don’t drop that quickly, regardless of income. No content after 4 months of their first expac is not by any means an unreasonable time for a content drought.

Lets not forget, Anet were inundated with forum posts saying they should “slow and down and take time to deliver better content rather than more” after Season 1.

Also, they have stated new content is being worked on – HoT re-works, S3, WvW overhaul, raids, the late legendaries, hopefully even SAB and S1 if we are lucky. Those are heavy projects and with a 2nd expansion confirmed to be in the works, small content droughts are to be expected.

EphemeralWallaby.7643

~EW

W.e you say man…lmao

No he’s really not.

Conjecture is the formation of a conclusion while excluding evidence. Unless somebody round here has ears inside ANets office, he’s used all the evidence he, and we, have, being largely personal experience and viewpoint.

Anecdotal evidence, is just evidence based on personal experience, already covered that.

In short, he’s just some jerk using buzzwords he heard elsewhere to try and make people feel inferior.

Conjecture: 1. an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.

He has incomplete information on which he’s forming his opinion. That’s very obvious.

Straw Man: a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent’s argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent.

Perhaps I used the wrong term, but I feel as though it fits. The premise of his argument that revenue isn’t being reinvested into the game at all, but he’s actually arguing that revenue isn’t being invested into the game in the ways he deems appropriate. But, if you feel I’m in error, I’m fine with admitting that I used the wrong term on this point.

Anecdotal Evidence: is evidence from anecdotes. Where only one or a few anecdotes are presented, there is a larger chance that they may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases.

This isn’t the same as conjecture. Twice he uses himself as an example for his argument.

I hope that clears up any misunderstanding you have of the reasons for my words, and that I’m not “just some jerk using buzzwords he heard elsewhere to try and make people feel inferior.”

~EW

Beast Sos.1457

It’s only been 4 months since the expansion. Don’t be so impatient. They’re working on more content and they’ll release it when they’ve finished.

If you really think HoT came out with enough content to call it a expansion you’re blinded by all the gates. We got 2 armor sets I think? The content that keeps 99% of the people in HoT are the achievements. Without those the maps would have been dead long ago. This game turned into a achievement hunt there is no beefy content. One pvp map in years?! WTF is that? We haven’t got a new fractal in ages. They DESTROYED dungeons, 3+ year old content and tried to replace them with fractal, which failed because people only do the easy ones for the dailies. The new WvW “map” would have done much better as a PvE map.

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you really think HoT came out with enough content to call it a expansion you’re blinded by all the gates. We got 2 armor sets I think? The content that keeps 99% of the people in HoT are the achievements. Without those the maps would have been dead long ago. This game turned into a achievement hunt there is no beefy content. One pvp map in years?! WTF is that? We haven’t got a new fractal in ages. They DESTROYED dungeons, 3+ year old content and tried to replace them with fractal, which failed because people only do the easy ones for the dailies. The new WvW “map” would have done much better as a PvE map.

You think Warlords of Draenor came with enough content to call it an expansion?

All the old content in that game was invalidated or heavily nerfed for max level players. People finished leveling in one or two days, and all that’s left was dailies, sitting in your Garrison pressing buttons, some treasure or rare hunting, and raids. And it cost as much as this expansion. People on that forum are counting the months till the next expansion, which might be at the end of the year. And that was from a company that makes billions from that game, not millions like this one.

We got more than they did, if ours isn’t an expansion neither is theirs.

Stop being so impatient.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Beast Sos.1457

Apparently you have not been around long. Up until HoT we got an amazing amount of new content all for FREE, particularly during season 1 when we were getting new stuff every few weeks. Yes, much of that content was transitory as Anet was trying something novel by creating a dynamic “Living World” that was constantly changing and evolving. Personally I loved it. It was creative and new. Unfortunately, many players are stuck in the past with the old framework of periodic, permanent expansions that just tag-on more dungeons, maps, or whatever. But regardless, GW2 has had a considerable amount of new content released since it was launched. All Your post says to me is that you are new to this game have not been around at all. Also, wtf… you are complaining that no new content has been released since HoT? HoT has ONLY been out for 4 months! Clearly you have no idea what is involved with game design and development at this level.

HoT was less content than most DLC. All HoT is is a achievement grind. LS s1 was all filler content Anet had no idea wtf they were doing. The only good part was the destruction of LA and when we killed Scarlet. I guess the watch knight event was okay too. The rest was them experimenting, which failed. LS s2 was okay but be honest with yourself. If you go back and play LS s2 right now how long would it take to complete it from start to finish? It took me about 4-5 hours.

insanemaniac.2456

~EW

W.e you say man…lmao

No he’s really not.

Conjecture is the formation of a conclusion while excluding evidence. Unless somebody round here has ears inside ANets office, he’s used all the evidence he, and we, have, being largely personal experience. He’s seen similar support given to ANet that has been given other games, and those games seem to have greater output from that support. No conjecture whatsoever.

Anecdotal evidence, is just evidence based on personal experience, again, this is a forum made for player to share their opinion based on their experience playing the game. And unless somebody here is a developer, it’s the only evidence anybody has.

Not saying the OPs right, but the first poster is just some jerk getting off on making other people feel inferior using buzzwords he doesn’t even know the meaning of, and he doesn’t make any point at all, let alone a correct one.

conjecture isnt excluding evidence, its the formation of an idea with incomplete information. i admit its more ad hominem than straw man though. but anecdotal evidence doesnt really help his argument that not only should anet reinvest the profits into the game but also that they arent, when clearly theyre paying people to put out a new raid wing in a week.

Conncept.7638

Excluding any financial statements from Anet on earnings / cost relativity. In fact, he offers NO evidence whatsoever to back up any single point he’s made. Personal Experience and Viewpoint =/= evidence.

There are no financial statements released for ANet pertinent to the OPs point. In fact there technically aren’t any at all, as ANet doesn’t release financial statements, NCsoft does. And their reports say nothing whatsoever about per-project management of funds, only per IP management. They say how funds were used over the entire GW2 property, but not anything of the working projects within that property.

And personal experience is evidence, it’s just not proof, hence the term anecdotal evidence which means exactly that. Learn your terms.

“Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person’s actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position”.

Thank-you for proving my point, what was the original position he ignored? His own position, as he started the thread and no previous position had been presented.

Straw-man arguments because he’s saying “Anet isn’t doing X” when he really has no idea. He’s attacking them based on zero evidence provided. I think it’s a pretty clear misrepresented version of what Anet is doing, since he has no idea

He straw-manned his own argument then?

Additionally, if you had actually red the op, he doesn’t say the phrase “Anet isn’t doing” at any point in his post. He does claim that ANet hasn’t done things, past tense, equal to the potential output (in his experience) to the support they’ve been given. An opinion based on personal experience but in no way a logical fallacy.

As for anecdotal evidence, “there is a larger chance that they may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases.”

This is so stupid I’m not even going to address it.

Ughlll… yes I am, it’s going to bother me knowing I allowed such stupidity to persist and potentially breed across the internet.

So, you would you just let a murderer or sex-offender or thief go because the only evidence of his or her crime was heaps of eye-witness testimony? Which is, by definition, anecdotal evidence.

Furthermore, that statement itself, is an illogical fallacy falling under unwarranted assumption, it is someones own opinion without evidence, anectodotal or otherwise. It is entirely based on an assumption of the average persons character regardless of the person or their experience as an observer of evidence.

All evidence is, in the end, based on someones observation of events, be it observation of the act in question, of forensic evidence, of confession, or of testimony. There is no logic whatsoever to justify that personal experience is any more or less reliable given where and when the experience took place. It is only with further compounding evidence that the persons testimony could somehow be proven correct or incorrect.

conjecture isnt excluding evidence, its the formation of an idea with incomplete information. i admit its more ad hominem than straw man though. but anecdotal evidence doesnt really help his argument that not only should anet reinvest the profits into the game but also that they arent, when clearly theyre paying people to put out a new raid wing in a week.

Technically yes but I phrased it that way to make a point. Something is only considered conjecture if the evidence in question exists at all, is available, and permissible as evidence. Therefore financial statistics which aren’t released to the public (and may not even exist) don’t count.

And no claim was made that they aren’t reinvesting any profits, only an open ended query that they invest, and a statement that, however much they are investing, must not be enough, since their output for that investment is (in the opinion of the OP) insufficient for the support given them, when compared to other games given similar support.

Beast Sos.1457

All the old content in that game was invalidated or heavily nerfed for max level players. People finished leveling in one or two days, and all that’s left was dailies, sitting in your Garrison pressing buttons, some treasure or rare hunting, and raids. And it cost as much as this expansion. People on that forum are counting the months till the next expansion, which might be at the end of the year. And that was from a company that makes billions from that game, not millions like this one.

Stop being so impatient.

WoW has been out for 12 years. They had there days. The amount of content we got in the past 3 and a half years with Gw2 was about a expansions worth of content with a few QoL changes here and there. If you disagree please explain why I am wrong. Them fixing their kitten ups doesn’t count.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Stop being so impatient.

WoW has been out for 12 years. They had there days. The amount of content we got in the past 3 and a half years with Gw2 was about a expansions worth of content with a few QoL changes here and there. If you disagree please explain why I am wrong. Them fixing their kitten ups doesn’t count.

It hardly matters how long a game has been out. WoW has more players, gets more money and is pushing out less content each year than this game. Since launch we’ve gotten a lot of content with people putting in hours of play time with each new patch. ANet changed to an expansion model when people complained about all that content being temporary and now there’s the usual content drought that every expansion based game has. Even Guild Wars 1 went 6 months or more between new content and it was a simpler game. To demand new content barely 4 months after an expansion is being unrealistic.

ANet may give it to you.

insanemaniac.2456

Technically yes but I phrased it that way to make a point. Something is only considered conjecture if the evidence in question exists at all, is available, and permissible as evidence. Therefore financial statistics which aren’t released to the public (and may not even exist) don’t count.

you phrased it in a silly way. he does not have the evidence, therefore anything he says based on evidence he does not have is conjecture. he can be corrected or affirmed by someone who has the evidence, but his lack of knowledge makes his opinion conjecture.

Beast Sos.1457

Stop being so impatient.

It hardly matters how long a game has been out. WoW has more players, gets more money and is pushing out less content each year than this game. Since launch we’ve gotten a lot of content with people putting in hours of play time with each new patch. ANet changed to an expansion model when people complained about all that content being temporary and now there’s the usual content drought that every expansion based game has. Even Guild Wars 1 went 6 months or more between new content and it was a simpler game. To demand new content barely 4 months after an expansion comparable in size other mmmo’s expansions is being unrealistic.

You keep comparing Gw2 to WoW but thats not a fair comparison. Its like comparing my corner store with the Mac’s convenience down the street. There game has much more content so they don’t need to expand on it like Anet has to with Gw2. Idk about now they could have killed the game but its been 12 years, once Anet gets to that point then they can justify a lack of content.

Gw1 campaigns had way more content than HoT…You’re telling me without the achievement grinds the content Anet released would have lasted as long as it did? You have to run each story mission AT LEAST twice to get most of the achievements. The content was all about bringing your loot stick guardian and tagging everything. Everything Anet released turn into a farm not because it was fun but because it was required to get anything worth while.

Beast Sos.1457

you phrased it in a silly way. he does not have the evidence, therefore anything he says based on evidence he does not have is conjecture. he can be corrected or affirmed by someone who has the evidence, but his lack of knowledge makes his opinion conjecture.

The evidence is the fact that we barley got any content for at least a year before HoT and HoT itself is all a achievement/master grind. Without that the content wouldn’t have lasted a month for most players.

All the content we got in general since LS s1 was a achievement grind to fill in the content. Fillers on fillers on fillers.

Conncept.7638

Has he played this game?
Has he played previous games?
Has he supported and seen those games supported to similar degrees?
Can he exercise basic logic?

If he complies with all of the above, then logically, he does have anecdotal evidence.

Is there any more evidence available that he could have presented? Thus far no one has presented any any less anecdotal than his own. If not, then again, logically, he is not exercising conjecture.

His argument may not be strong, but it is logically sound, and claiming it isn’t by attacking his argument without further evidence either disproving his experience or providing counter evidence to his experience, is Ad Hominem.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Stop being so impatient.

It hardly matters how long a game has been out. WoW has more players, gets more money and is pushing out less content each year than this game. Since launch we’ve gotten a lot of content with people putting in hours of play time with each new patch. ANet changed to an expansion model when people complained about all that content being temporary and now there’s the usual content drought that every expansion based game has. Even Guild Wars 1 went 6 months or more between new content and it was a simpler game. To demand new content barely 4 months after an expansion comparable in size other mmmo’s expansions is being unrealistic.

You keep comparing Gw2 to WoW but thats not a fair comparison. Its like comparing my corner store with the Mac’s convenience down the street. There game has much more content so they don’t need to expand on it like Anet has to with Gw2. Idk about now they could have killed the game but its been 12 years, once Anet gets to that point then they can justify a lack of content.

Gw1 campaigns had way more content than HoT…You’re telling me without the achievement grinds the content Anet released would have lasted as long as it did? You have to run each story mission AT LEAST twice to get most of the achievements. The content was all about bringing your loot stick guardian and tagging everything. Everything Anet released turn into a farm not because it was fun but because it was required to get anything worth while.

Guild Wars 1 had more content? Not really. They had more maps, but less content per map. Just the story line missions to do normal mode then hard mode, some quests, a dungeon of two and the unholiest grind ever to get your reputation levels up by running the same content over and over and over.

At any rate, it’s still the same. Expansion based games have months to a year between expansions and it’s only been four months. You’re being too impatient.

ANet may give it to you.

Beast Sos.1457

Stop being so impatient.

Guild Wars 1 had more content? Not really. They had more maps, but less content per map. Just the story line missions to do normal mode then hard mode, some quests, a dungeon of two and the unholiest grind ever to get your reputation levels up by running the same content over and over and over.

At any rate, it’s still the same. Expansion based games have months to a year between expansions and it’s only been four months. You’re being too impatient.

They released more content they didn’t have more content on release. Gw2 has a kitten ton of content for the core game. But after a few months it gets really boring because of the difficulty.

Like I said, there is not enough content in the expansion to justify the fact that we are on a content drought.

Remember Gw1 had way less people working on it at launch plus the PvP modes were 50 times better with variety.

(edited by Beast Sos.1457)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t care how many maps, how many armor sets, or how many professions/skills are in an expansion. I care about whether there’s enough fun stuff to keep me engaged (not just ‘busy’) for hours and hours and hours.

HoT meets my requirement — I’m having fun and I haven’t come close to exhausting my interest in it yet. There is no amount of discussion that is going to change that …for me.

On the other hand, the OP clearly feels differently. They are not interested in what HoT has to offer. And similarly, no rhetoric (clever or foolish) will convince them otherwise.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Just a flesh wound.3589

Stop being so impatient.

They released more content they didn’t have more content on release. Gw2 has a kitten ton of content for the core game. But after a few months it gets really boring because of the difficulty.

Like I said, there is not enough content in the expansion to justify the fact that we are on a content drought.

Remember Gw1 had way less people working on it at launch plus the PvP modes were 50 times better with variety.

1) There was a ton of content upon release because they had worked on it for several years, literally, it was around 5 years iirc. Unless you’re asking them to take the same amount of time don’t expect the same amount of content.

2) Guild Wars 1 has less people because it was a new game for the company and it was simpler lobby/instance game, not a full fledged mmo with more people on each map than maybe 8. It didn’t need that many people to run it and design content.

3) every expansion based game has content droughts. It doesn’t matter how big the expansion is, people can play through it in days what it took months to make. So the fact that there’s a drought is not relevant to the size of the expansion.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I love how Ephemeral Wallaby ends every of his/her posts with “EW”. Very expressive.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I love how Ephemeral Wallaby ends every of his/her posts with “EW”. Very expressive.

ROFL

Well, this is the internet…

~EW

Beast Sos.1457

Stop being so impatient.

1) There was a ton of content upon release because they had worked on it for several years, literally, it was around 5 years iirc. Unless you’re asking them to take the same amount of time don’t expect the same amount of content.

2) Guild Wars 1 has less people because it was a new game for the company and it was simpler lobby/instance game, not a full fledged mmo with more people on each map than maybe 8. It didn’t need that many people to run it and design content.

3) every expansion based game has content droughts. It doesn’t matter how big the expansion is, people can play through it in days what it took months to make. So the fact that there’s a drought is not relevant to the size of the expansion.

1. It took 5 years to make gw2 because they kittened up the first 2 years and had to scrap a bunch of their ideas. The games core has been built now so no I do not expect them to spend 5 years on a expansion I am also not asking for the same amount of content we had at launch, that would be ridiculous. All I’m asking for is real content not filler Masteries and achievements, the only real reason to go back.

2. Doesn’t change the fact that such a small team released more content after launch than what we are seeing with gw2.

3. Its not the content drought, its the fact that there is literally nothing to do other than raiding unless you want to grind out skins. There are no dungeon or some difficult solo content. I would love to see a tower similar to the tower of nightmares added but making it a solo instance with difficulty scales. But I guess we are stuck with achievement grinds and loot stick classes, well exp stick classes for those grinding mastery exp.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Stop being so impatient.

1. It took 5 years to make gw2 because they kittened up the first 2 years and had to scrap a bunch of their ideas. The games core has been built now so no I do not expect them to spend 5 years on a expansion I am also not asking for the same amount of content we had at launch, that would be ridiculous. All I’m asking for is real content not filler Masteries and achievements, the only real reason to go back.

2. Doesn’t change the fact that such a small team released more content after launch than what we are seeing with gw2.

3. Its not the content drought, its the fact that there is literally nothing to do other than raiding unless you want to grind out skins. There are no dungeon or some difficult solo content. I would love to see a tower similar to the tower of nightmares added but making it a solo instance with difficulty scales. But I guess we are stuck with achievement grinds and loot stick classes, well exp stick classes for those grinding mastery exp.

Idk. What do you think the Devs are doing? Playing solitaire at their computers or maybe idly drinking coffee and flipping through magazines in the break room? Or maybe you think there’s some easy way to push out content and for some reason they’re ignoring that option.

They’ve said they’re busy and that each is working on all the projects they can possibly manage. I’m sorry this isn’t enough for you. It sounds like you’d be happier with another game as backup that you could play during content droughts, and come back here when more is released. I suggest you give that a try.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Stop being so impatient.

You feel only Raiding, and such, is acceptable content? Rejoice! You have only 6 more days to wait out the ‘content drought’, then. Next Raid releases March 8th!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

So what’s a typical release rate for an MMO?

The only other one I play is Elder Scrolls Online and they get far less content that GW2. They’ve had 2 DLCs released in the last year, and are due to get a 3rd one soon. Both have been smaller than HoT and updates in between are just balance changes and bug fixing.

But I see similar complaints about not releasing enough content (or not releasing it fast enough) on their forum, so I assume that’s a poor comparison.

It would be helpful to know what’s typical or ‘industry standard’ or whatever, otherwise to those of us who don’t play many MMOs (and are therefore used to single-player games where you get a new game every few years and next to nothing in between) it’s hard to understand what the problem is.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”