Can you please fix spawned items?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Not to sound like the person that complains about insider trading every other day, but do ANet have a fix for this spawned items issue yet? There was a dev post a while back that said they were looking into this issue.

Went out to the Silverwastes camp today, because it’s the vista daily there, and what do you know? Someones spawned the golem banker there – directly on top of the vista. Because of course they have.

Can you please at least slap peoples names / account names on these spawned items? We can report and block them at a minimum. They’ll learn very quick when they suddenly find themselves shut out of everything and ignored.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

I don’t see how reporting would be overboard. If someone does it once, they are unlikely to suffer any consequence. If they keep doing it, they should be reprimanded.

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

Instead of a name and report system put in have gemstore items, crafted items such as feasts and other purchased items have a different interaction key from NPCs, chests, vistas. Separate the interact keys of player created items from game items.

(edited by Chad.6104)

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

What I meant was if it’s not on purpose, it’s not going to be repeated, and thus probably not sanctioned. If it’s repeated it’s not accidental.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Despite the OP’s histrionics, I do agree with the suggestion of being able to find the owner of the banker/trader/box o’fun/etc.

Not for blocking vista, NPCs or annoyances like that, but players have trolled more significant events, notably TT wurm by using these items.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4zrkus/vent_trolls_at_tt/

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

What I meant was if it’s not on purpose, it’s not going to be repeated, and thus probably not sanctioned. If it’s repeated it’s not accidental.

Just because someone repeats it, doesn’t mean it’s intentional.

They could be absent minded and completely forget that they should take a few steps away before they drop down the item.

They could be selfish and just not be thinking of how their actions affect others and they aren’t doing it to purposely block the vista/NPC/whatever.

Depending on the zone, they could be new and not realize that the item blocks easy access to the vista/NPC/etc.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Again, you’re under the assumption that this was done on purpose.

Last time i saw that, it was a large number of trays right on top of the great nightmare chest in the labyrinth.
Yeah, it was surely accidental. Thinking it was done on purpose is completely baseless.
Right…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: thuras.4537

thuras.4537

spawning items on top of some other interacable object is almost as annoying as typing with CAPS.

Seeing a Charr burn gives a whole new perspective to the word charcoal

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

Despite the OP’s histrionics

Not sure you’re using that word correctly.
“Histrionic personality disorder (HPD) is defined by the American Psychiatric Association as a personality disorder characterized by a pattern of excessive attention-seeking emotions, usually beginning in early adulthood, including inappropriately seductive behavior and an excessive need for approval.”

Is that what you’re accusing the OP of?

As for spawning things on vista’s etc, it’s clearly deliberate. Not sure why people are going out of their way to defend such behaviour. An obvious fix would be an exclusion area around clickable objects in which you couldn’t spawn or place player items. That’s what I’ve seen done in other games.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Histrionic – overly theatrical or melodramatic in character or style

Nobody suggested the OP is suffering a disorder.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

This is as old as the random portals that people used to drop when the game first came out.

People drop things all the time, mostly on WvW gates at reset times. I used to drop trails of Birthday cakes and siege in WvW, now I just spam it on fallen allies and enemies and leave trails of Dancing mini Moa’s everywhere.

Going to the bank, there’s always someones merchant or black lion merchant blocking the way too……

It’s just an everyday part of gaming in GW2, and there’s been ways around it for 4 years now.

Remember this is an MMO game, lots of people doing what ever they think is fun to them at the time.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

onevstheworld.2419

If you google the definition of histrionic, you get “excessively theatrical or dramatic in character or style”.

I am well aware of the existence of Histrionic Personality Disorder, but that’s different from using the word as an adjective.

And yes, it was a non-subtle reference to all the caps in the title.

(edited by onevstheworld.2419)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think a better solution would be to prevent these items spawning on top of other interactable objects. If someone activates one in a position where it would be on top of another object it could spawn off to one side instead. They still get to use their item and no one is inconvenienced by it’s position.

I’ve actually “trolled” myself with this before. Get to a gathering node, realise I don’t have the tool I need, quickly activate the golem banker to withdraw one, close the window and realise the banker is on top of the node.

Of course in that case it takes 2 seconds to click on the node so pressing F activates that instead of the banker so it’s an extremely minor issue, but it’s still annoying.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Astra Lux.2846

Astra Lux.2846

All that really needs to be done is to put a toggle or option to cycle interactions on the interact prompt. Other games do this.

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

There is a way to set a keybind to toggle between items. It’s in options, next ally. I’ve used it when someone drops an item on top of another interactable item or NPC. It’s not really useful if people drop multiples of something but it will separate out the interactions of two items.

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

The vista is larger and clickable to select it as your F button target, but other than that.. it would be useful if they had some sort of radius check on placeable objects.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

I was probably being histrionic.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

onevstheworld.2419

I was probably being histrionic.

As we all know, the internet makes everyone more histrionic than they normally are

Astralporing.1957

Don’t get cute. The example the OP gave is what I’m talking about. Whatever kittenery you encountered? That’s another situation.

What do you think is more likely, that someone accidentally spawned a golem banker on a vista (place where they were unlikely to ever need bank access), or that someone did it intentionally?
And even if in OP’s case it was accidental, it doesn’t make the problem brought up any less real. Because it does happen, and is, unfortunately, very common.

It’s just an everyday part of gaming in GW2, and there’s been ways around it for 4 years now.

Remember this is an MMO game, lots of people doing what ever they think is fun to them at the time.

I get that griefing is fun for some people, but it’s the kind of fun that should be actively discouraged. People shouldn’t be having fun at other player’s expense. Your freedom to swing your fist ends where my nose begins.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I must admit the guys always spawning a banker right in front of LA’s auctioneers are selfish ignorants and there is almost always one there, you run there and you can’t talk directly to the auctioneer. Make them completely non interactable by other players (we can’t use them anyway).

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Underdark.3726

Underdark.3726

Ban him for 24 hours and next time he won’t do it intentional or not.

Seera.5916

Don’t get cute. The example the OP gave is what I’m talking about. Whatever kittenery you encountered? That’s another situation.

What do you think is more likely, that someone accidentally spawned a golem banker on a vista (place where they were unlikely to ever need bank access), or that someone did it intentionally?
And even if in OP’s case it was accidental, it doesn’t make the problem brought up any less real. Because it does happen, and is, unfortunately, very common.

I get that griefing is fun for some people, but it’s the kind of fun that should be actively discouraged. People shouldn’t be having fun at other player’s expense. Your freedom to swing your fist ends where my nose begins.

Given that the daily vista viewer gives a writ of experience or two, players may open the bank to put them in the bank.

I’m all for those who do it on purple getting punished, but players that don’t do it on purpose, shouldn’t be punished.

Seera.5916

Ban him for 24 hours and next time he won’t do it intentional or not.

Next time he might just delete the bankers and any spawners like that and not buy them from the gem store afraid that he’ll spawn them in the wrong spot and get banned again.

And if he didn’t do it on purpose, now he’s got a ban on his record and he never broke the rules or had any intention of breaking the rules. And that’s a very bad practice for ANet to have.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

For those who don’t like the trip between TP and bank in LA, consider using the chef crafting station as a bank instead. It’s almost as close as the banker/TP in Rata Sum.

I agree that a considerate player will move away from an interaction point before spawning an interactable item but inattention and accidents will happen. Assigning a name to the spawned items would help identify griefers (or, more positively, help identify people to thank for well-placed useful things). It might also encourage nasty comments aimed at people who didn’t mean any harm, especially new players who don’t know any better and could get turned off of playing the game as a result.

I guess I don’t have strong feelings one way or another on it. I certainly would like a way to identify and report the true trolls who scatter spawns all over events with obvious intent to make the event fail. I just don’t want innocents caught up in the blame game.

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

Instead of spawning npcs at all on these limitless account bound items that no one can use just have the ui open to the person using the item.

Underdark.3726

Next time he might just delete the bankers and any spawners like that and not buy them from the gem store afraid that he’ll spawn them in the wrong spot and get banned again.

And if he didn’t do it on purpose, now he’s got a ban on his record and he never broke the rules or had any intention of breaking the rules. And that’s a very bad practice for ANet to have.

Oh please.
If I make an accident with my car I have to pay for what I did even if I didn’t do it on purpose. That does not mean I won’t be buying a new car or drive ever again.

Underdark.3726

so is better let him do the same mistake over and over again?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I think these instances are pretty rare, for I play the game for hours every night, and a lot on the weekends, and I can’t remember this happening more than once or twice. I also happen to believe that many if not most are accidental, and not a form of griefing.

Can you imagine someone who accidentally spawns a banker or other element getting suspended? Really?? “Dear player — you put your golem banker in the wrong place, so welcome to SuspensionLand™.” That just doesn’t set well in my mind’s eye.

If someone does this to grief others, well, why not just move on and let it go? I cannot see the team investing the time to show spawners’ names, and I really don’t believe this request has a high level of priority. If a dev decides to take on this request, I’m sure they will post to indicate that.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think these instances are pretty rare, for I play the game for hours every night, and a lot on the weekends, and I can’t remember this happening more than once or twice. I also happen to believe that many if not most are accidental, and not a form of griefing.

It’s not a problem for you, so you don’t think it’s a problem for anyone else? And if we want someone to address it, we need to grief you and anyone else with an ANet tag until someone gets angry? That’s pretty much what I’m getting from this.

Now, I do agree that people shouldn’t be banned for it or anything. After all, it can and does happen on accident at times. But even when it’s an accident, it’s annoying. Can’t we get spawned items/NPCs lowered on the interact priority list so that by default you’ll interact with whatever’s normally there first? You can target a NPC merchant or Box o Fun to select it, but it’s hard to target a vista.

[Edit] NOTE: I do not support or suggest that anyone grief the devs.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

(edited by Palador.2170)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Can you imagine someone who accidentally spawns a banker or other element getting suspended? Really?? “Dear player — you put your golem banker in the wrong place, so welcome to SuspensionLand™.” That just doesn’t set well in my mind’s eye.

If someone does this to grief others, well, why not just move on and let it go? I cannot see the team investing the time to show spawners’ names, and I really don’t believe this request has a high level of priority. If a dev decides to take on this request, I’m sure they will post to indicate that.

I certainly agree with you about it being ridiculous to suspend ppl, especially since many innocent players would get caught up in it. And yes, I’d rather devs worked on more important things rather than babysitting and dealing with situations caused by immature/inconsiderate players.

However, to say it is rare suggests the feedback on the forums may not have been picked up. It has been raised a lot on these forums and I see it certainly most play sessions – whether accidental or on purpose.

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

It’s not a problem for you, so you don’t think it’s a problem for anyone else? And if we want someone to address it, we need to grief you and anyone else with an ANet tag until someone gets angry? That’s pretty much what I’m getting from this.

Then you read it wrong. She’s saying in her experience she’s encountered this once or twice. She never said because it wasn’t a problem for her, it wasn’t a problem for someone else. She’s saying in most cases it’s probably accidental.

Correct. I did not say “It’s not a problem.” I simply gave an estimate — sustained by the members of this thread — that this is not a frequent issue, and I suggested — again agreed by several — that in many cases the situation arises out of accidental causes.

Any spamming of devs in the game is rude and inappropriate, and it would not result in action and would not impact decision-making. We play on our own accounts, and for the vast majority of the time, on our non-work hours. Bringing issues to the attention of devs in the game is not effective, and frankly, it’s not appropriate.

You (the OP) feel this is a significant issue. Many have disagreed with your assessment, but the thread remains on the forums and, if the dev team agrees that this needs to be added to the “to do” list, they will make that happen.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

NPC’s at vista’s …. mesmer portals at Reward Chests … all these seem accidental at best. I mean I would use a bank npc to pop my scrolls in… that’s not deserving of a suspension at all. And (my pet peeve but I understand) mesmers may be trying to port people closer to the chest who are far away.

I think there are bigger fish to fry than things like this.

Posted by: Fernshade.9016

Fernshade.9016

Then you read it wrong. She’s saying in her experience she’s encountered this once or twice. She never said because it wasn’t a problem for her, it wasn’t a problem for someone else. She’s saying in most cases it’s probably accidental.

The idea that it takes someone at ANet to get angry for something to happen is ridiculous.

I have to say I agree with Arden here. You’re reading way too much into what she listed as personal experience. I would add that she also recommended that even if it is griefing, it is better to let it go and move on. The spawned bankers or merchants or whatever despawn after like 15 minutes, just go do an event or two and come back.

Furthermore tying an account name or guild name to the spawned object would only act as a tool for others to harass someone who probably made a mistake.
I’ve played the game since launch and have several characters with 100% map completion, as well as a bunch more with partial completion and I have never experienced this problem. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I agree with Gaile. If it does happen, it is most likely an accident.

Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck [ICEE]

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

If a dev decides to take on this request, I’m sure they will post to indicate that.

Should any devs wish to consider the problem, then how about as possible solution: when 2+ possible things are in range that could be interacted with a mini window pops up allowing you to choose which one you want?

~EW

P.S. I think it’s less of a case of accidental, and more of a case of inconsiderate… on those occasions where it’s not outright griefing.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

http://i.imgur.com/QzlRjLv.jpg

Gaile – since this is an example of the exact same behaviour the OP is talking about – shall we encourage destroying an event for an entire map as something one ought to simply move on from?

The magnitude is different, but the behaviour is identical.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

http://i.imgur.com/QzlRjLv.jpg

Gaile – since this is an example of the exact same behaviour the OP is talking about – shall we encourage destroying an event for an entire map as something one ought to simply move on from?

The magnitude is different, but the behaviour is identical.

Thoughts?

The devs actually commented on this one I think on Reddit. They had some ideas they were going to discuss around preventing this from occuring.

Posted by: OneYenShort.3189

OneYenShort.3189

Yet with that same frame of time reference, and I’m close to your time (CST) I see it at least once a week. With a maximum once of 6 times in one evening.

Mind you I also place Mesmer Portals done in this manner in the same form of greifing. Of which my max count above was no portal inclusion, and the last time I saw a mes portal done in this manner was a few months back at the Destroyer world boss in Mt. Maelstrom.

Will some players do it by accident? Sure. We gave our guild leader no end of greif when he goofed and stuck a flag right on the hole in the chicken run guild mission.

But given what I seen.. I’d say about 90%-92% of the ones I’ve seen are on purpose.
Remember that there have been many studies, let alone behavior of the net that when there is zero chance of repercussions, people that would normally not be inclined to be mean are much more inclined to be so.

You (the OP) feel this is a significant issue. Many have disagreed with your assessment, but the thread remains on the forums and, if the dev team agrees that this needs to be added to the “to do” list, they will make that happen.

Many? This hasn’t even hit a 2nd page and you consider this small insignificant sample that means squat to be “many”??? You are making goofs this time.

(edited by OneYenShort.3189)

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Guys, don’t blow what she said out of context. Her post specifically mentions golem bankers, not the problem at Triple Trouble which has already been flagged up as an issue by the dev team.

The fact is that all these things are related to the core problem of interactable items being stacked. Whether it is a golem banker on top of a loot chest, a downed player on top of a dead NPC, or a hundred rocks on top of a critical event spawn location, it all boils down to a problem with stacked items.
It is discouraging and disappointing that the devs apparently feel that if they don’t personally see something as a problem, then it is not a problem. Gaile may play for “hours” on nights and weekends, but her experience has been quite different from mine. I see these “accidents” constantly.
Even if they truly are accidents, it still shows there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can’t really state what the Devs ‘apparently feel’. You never know, maybe the Devs have a different opinion than Gaile. They aren’t a hive-mind, after all.

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

If other players cannot use a summoned NPC then stop summoning the NPC and just open the interface. Problem solved with the NPC’s.

Golem Bankers are not so impressive looking that everyone has to see it.

Astralporing.1957

Correct. I did not say “It’s not a problem.” I simply gave an estimate — sustained by the members of this thread — that this is not a frequent issue, and I suggested — again agreed by several — that in many cases the situation arises out of accidental causes.

Yes, in many cases it may be an accidental issue, but, in my estimate (surprisingly also supported by the members of this same thread) non-accidental cases aren’t that uncommon at all. Even if we limit ourselves only to the most obvious ones (like the one from the picture in stale’s post, or when someone admits to it in the open).

It may be simply the case of playing differently, and thus being around those things more/less than others. It may be also the case of not seeing them when they aren’t a problem for you, personally…

Actions, not words.

Underdark.3726

I didn’t say that if someone do it once you need to suspend him. But if they continue to do the same error over and over again that something needs to be done. Then even if is not intentional it has to be punished. Ignorance cannot be an excuse.
But I agree. I also haven’t seen lots of those (and I hope not to see them) and developers have more important things to do.

Seera.5916

I didn’t say that if someone do it once you need to suspend him. But if they continue to do the same error over and over again that something needs to be done. Then even if is not intentional it has to be punished. Ignorance cannot be an excuse.
But I agree. I also haven’t seen lots of those (and I hope not to see them) and developers have more important things to do.

But punishing them by banning them is too extreme. It puts a mark on their account saying that they got banned. An innocent player should not have that kind of mark on their account.

I’d rather they put in place a solution that doesn’t punish the innocent players and either punishes the trolls or makes it so they can’t troll that way anymore.

Seera.5916

Forum bug fixing

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Assuming of course that said persons did this on purpose, there are ways around this. Also, you can switch or swap maps. While I agree this is annoying, reporting a person for this seems a little overboard.

In my humble opinion.

No reason to spawn directly on top of another interactible. Happens all the time on chests, NPCs , etc.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Never had the banker problem. My problem is mesmers who drop portals on chests in JPs. Imagine the frustration of finally completing a JP on you own after numerous attempts only to be thwarted by an ill timed mesmer portal being dropped on the chest just as you go to click it and not notice the F action is no longer the chest but the portal back to the bottom.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Bunter.3795

Bunter.3795

You espouse a double standard here Gaile. “why not just move on and let it go?” The game has a verbal abuse report function, an inappropriate character name report function, why can’t people just “move on and let it go?” as you suggest? Why are those behaviors considered so bad that there are people forced to rename their characters or suspended for comments and yet other trolling behavior is, in your opinion, considered not anywhere as bad? A persons character name who you may never see in game again is surely something that could be “let go” yet constant banker golems or boxes of fun spam at reward chests, etc which impacts way more people and can cause people to lose out on rewards. Before anyone says that ‘verbal abuse" is so much worse, well you have a block button, use it. We don’t have a block button for the golem banker that can be constantly spammed at an interact location.

You may play hours each day and so do I, I see this troll behavior every single day, it’s not as rare a thing as you claim but a constant, yet albeit small, problem. Even the game is programmed to mimic this troll behavior. Go to the bank in Divinity’s Reach and you will see NPC’s come to the bank teller and they have an interact pop up on them that super cedes your ability to access the bank and it’s only a single line of printed dialogue they have. With the bank “tellers” behind the wall it’s almost impossible to target them and you either have to wait for the npc’s to finish their script or move to a different window. So please don’t say it’s rare when it is actually programmed into the game. In WvW it’s actually a tactic used to stop emergency waypoints from easily being pulled by spamming inexpensive food feasts around the tactivators.

Several easy solutions (easy as in scope, no idea on the programming part of them) such as a proximity check so they can’t be spawned on top of another interact location or as others have pointed out make it so items that are only accessible by the owner open the UI and not actually spawn something for others to interact with.

Gaile, I’m not trying to hate on you and please don’t take anything I’ve written here as an attack on you but I do feel that you were wrong in your post in the frequency of the issue and the impact that it has and I feel it was inappropriate for you to casually dismiss a players concern when his concern was expressed in terms that were not against the terms of use of this site.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Several days ago in Noble’s Folly, someone had spawned a Black Lion Trading NPC right in front of a crafting station I happened to need to use. I had to click the crafting station to target it so I could use it. The thing is, there’s already a BLTC NPC in Noble’s Folly, so there’s no point in using an item there to summon one when it’s just a few steps away.

I have also seen banker golems spawned in various places, like in front of a vista you can use to complete a daily.

I’m sure most of it isn’t malicious, but in some cases, it obviously was intended to make things difficult for players.

There really isn’t much that can be done about it, aside from going through the entire game and placing invisible barriers around key locations and NPCs that prevent players from using banker golems and other such items within the area.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Djinn.9245

Just this morning someone spawned a Feast directly on top of a banker in Lion’s Arch. No need to do that – its not like you’re about to run into a dungeon or WvW or something. It did make it difficult to select the banker, luckily there was another that no one had done something to.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Djinn.9245

There really isn’t much that can be done about it, aside from going through the entire game and placing invisible barriers around key locations and NPCs that prevent players from using banker golems and other such items within the area.

Actually, I’m pretty sure they could simply program important NPCs (non-“greet”) and interactible objects to not allow other objects to be placed in the same space and make that space large enough that stuff can’t be directly in the way. They wouldn’t have to do each one by hand.