Cant monetize youtube vids gw2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: abigdeal.7468

abigdeal.7468

lol cya gw2, loved the game, but this is too much for me. I dont know how you can go this path when its generating more talk and discussion of your own game. The game is yours but peoples experiences and gameplay is theirs to express, and if they can make small bucks whilst also generating talk about the game, great. I love this game, but this is a massive drawback and something I wont support.

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

Youtube is the one that blocks it. Might want to read up on how monetizing works there and how to become a youtube partner if you actually want to try and make money off of things.

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

Arenanet has nothing to do with this, it’s Youtube’s policies.

Posted by: Strenif.4935

Strenif.4935

ok… can I have… you know…

a hug before you go?

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

Oh, Okay, bye!

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

Posted by: Drudenfusz.2971

Drudenfusz.2971

Gwenya Drudenfusz [Boon], Norn Mesmer on Desolation

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Don’t let the door hit you on…. oh, he’s gone.

Tradewind.6913

or here’s an example:

Video of a Guardian doing WvW with commentary about how to play a Guardian in WvW in certain situations and providing relevant and educational feedback to viewers. Likely Ok to monetize!

Video of a Guardian doing WvW with a voice overlay of your Teamspeak with your jagoff friends or using some copyrighted background music and has no actual value other than showing off and looking cool. Probably not Ok to monetize.

Posted by: Tlu.4269

Tlu.4269

or here’s an example:

Video of a Guardian doing WvW with commentary about how to play a Guardian in WvW in certain situations and providing relevant and educational feedback to viewers. Likely Ok to monetize!

Video of a Guardian doing WvW with a voice overlay of your Teamspeak with your jagoff friends or using some copyrighted background music and has no actual value other than showing off and looking cool. Probably not Ok to monetize.

Ha! What would you know, Charrbag!… Oh, not the right place? Okay… Goes back to sylvari section

And that is a scientific fact!

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

Watch this from WoodenPotatoes.

Thread he’s talking about:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/105r6r/arenanet_are_you_serious/

“The statement, for example, that no monetized videos for Gw2 can get on youtube is both misleading and factually incorrect.”

Posted by: Greiger.7092

Greiger.7092

So wait, I must have missed it, there’s apperantly a big deal going around about how you can’t make money off GW2 content?

Isn’t that kind of implied for just about anything? I thought that was part of basic Copyright Law, at least in the US.

You can’t reproduce somebody else’s work in any way without expressed permission from the person who owns the rights, whether getting money for it or not. Getting money for it just tends to make it worth enforcing.

Tradewind.6913

Can’t monetize inane gw2 video content. Can monetize “fair use” content which is meant to be educational etc. Within certain guidelines.

and even then it’s not ArenaNet’s doing. It’s just Youtube telling people “no you can’t monetize that.”

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

So wait, I must have missed it, there’s apperantly a big deal going around about how you can’t make money off GW2 content?

Isn’t that kind of implied for just about anything?

You’re forgetting that self-entitled children aren’t capable of this thing called “rational thought.”

Hell, most of the remixes I do take significantly more skill and talent than what these little basement dwellers think they should be able to make money for, and I wouldn’t dare insist that I should be paid, because what I do is a labor of love and done out of respect for video game music composers. Videos regarding a video game really should be no different.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

abigdeal: you must have missed it, but we’ve responded to that issue.

Please see this post for information.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra