Capped magic find what to do with luck now?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Silencer.7614

Silencer.7614

As the subject states I recently capped my Magic find, I know many others have done this as well. I’ve looked through the wiki to try and figure out what to do with all my luck now that it’s capped and realized that there are very few things to spend it on.

I was hoping that Anet would give us some sort of current event or achievement collection that after completion would give us an item that eats the luck on a daily basis and gives loot back like the sentient anomaly or a converter that allowed us to use the magic and convert to some other currency like karma as an example.

It just feels like such a waste to throw away all these essences of luck. Seems like the only time it will ever be useful is during the lunar new year festival when it can be turned in for decorations, but there’s no way I can pile up all that luck and just hold it for a once a year festival.

What do other people who have maxed there magic find do with all there unused luck?

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Most just destroy it, or store it. Those that store it, many use Artificer to condense it all down to Exotic Luck essence and just pray that if Anet ever decides to do something useful with it, that it requires that level (exotic) of essence.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Hopefully Anet will give us something to do with it. Any time you get a reward that you can’t do something with, that means that you didn’t actually get that reward. This is, of course, a bad thing for a game.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Just started to do this, compress and store excess luck, myself. Not a lot of recipes that need luck.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Zodiak.6875

Zodiak.6875

You can buy Red Lantern decorations for your Guild Hall during Lunar New Year. Those Red Lanterns can also be turned into other decorations. Just don’t upgrade your Essence of Luck to Purple or else you won’t be able to turn them in for those.

I’ve been capped on Magic Find for a long time now and I also struggle with this. I normally just consume them to save on space. I wish I could gift them to people!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Thankfully, I never rushed at maximizing my Luck. I’m sure it must feel like hitting the Achievement Point cap. Bummer.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are a couple of niche uses for luck:

• Guild Halls need it at various stages, so you could sell (or volunteer) your luck to those in need. (Requires a free guild slot.)
  • A tiny number of mystic forge recipes use luck.

I agree with Djinn that I want ANet to provide a useful sink.
(I don’t agree that it’s bad for the game that some things have no value; it’s annoying, which is a good enough reason to change it.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I think exotic luck should be used in more recipes yes.

I think they may have underestimated the time it takes to get 300 luck. They could also try increasing the cap to 320 luck, but make it exponeitaly harder to reach each level. (So, say, it’d take as much to reach 0-300 as it does to reach 300 to 305).

And give an achievement for reaching 300 luck, in case of “ermagawd I maxed out my luck and you are invalidating my accomplishment” appears.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I think they may have underestimated the time it takes to get 300 luck.

Not underestimated. It’s a problem inflicted mostly on people who actively sought to max their MF. I salvage pretty much all my loot, and I can’t remember the last time my MF even went up a percentage point.

But yes, there should be other things to do with luck.
Forge: 250 Exotic Luck + 250 Turnips + 1 Bloodstone Shard+ 250 Gold Ingots = [2-5 Mystic Coins]
…Why Turnips? Because they’re on the vendor floor I need something to do with them. :\

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

ArchonWing.9480

True, the problem is self-inflicted. I didn’t go in with “oh my god, I must max my luck out”. I forgot how much I have atm; probably 200.

However, it doesn’t change the fact that you effectively get penalized by getting unusable junk in your inventory once you max it out. That my friends, is not desirable as an endgame goal!

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

True, the problem is self-inflicted. I didn’t go in with “oh my god, I must max my luck out”. I forgot how much I have atm; probably 200.

However, it doesn’t change the fact that you effectively get penalized by getting unusable junk in your inventory once you max it out. That my friends, is not desirable as an endgame goal!

I get the feeling that there isn’t a “when to make a new item” document in the dev rooms.

We often get items with no long-term secondary use, like bloodstone/dragonite/empyreal or, in this case, Luck. It wouldn’t be so bad if we could just sell them, but they’re account-bound, not vendorable, and generally worthless in their excess.

Sure we could “just throw them away,” but that’s wasteful, and for a player that doesn’t feel good. It’d be better to give those items a consumable purpose, like a unique boon, food items, vendoring for random loot, or as currency for more unique rewards.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

(edited by Rauderi.8706)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s a problem inflicted mostly on people who actively sought to max their MF.

Not true anymore. I didn’t go out of my way to update my luck, but I’m about to hit the cap.

• Have bought ecto to salvage into dust (when that was a cheaper route than buying it directly)
  • Bought all sorts of greens and blues to see if that was a cheaper way to get reclaimed plates, leather, cloth, etc

While those aren’t entirely common activities, they are well outside the scope of “actively pursuing max MF”

In addition, the newish “salvage all” feature encourages people to salvage before checking TP prices, accelerating the production of luck somewhat.

tl;dr regardless of what ANet once thought, more and more people are hitting the cap. ANet should address this (even if it’s to say that we should just delete luck).

Behellagh.1468

Not underestimated. It’s a problem inflicted mostly on people who actively sought to max their MF. I salvage pretty much all my loot, and I can’t remember the last time my MF even went up a percentage point.

Forge: 250 Exotic Luck + 250 Turnips + 1 Bloodstone Shard+ 250 Gold Ingots = [2-5 Mystic Coins]
…Why Turnips? Because they’re on the vendor floor I need something to do with them. :\

I salvage to make gold. Yes it’s pretty much a #hardcoreplayerproblems.

RIP City of Heroes

ArchonWing.9480

What about using luck as a crafting ingredient for making MF boosters?

That could be an interesting choice for people that haven’t maxed out luck yet. As in pursue a short term boost or a long term boost. And for those that have maxed it, it’s just more MF.

Behellagh.1468

What about using luck as a crafting ingredient for making MF boosters?

That could be an interesting choice for people that haven’t maxed out luck yet. As in pursue a short term boost or a long term boost. And for those that have maxed it, it’s just more MF.

Because the banners are locked behind scribing. And if you think leveling Leatherworker is expensive …

RIP City of Heroes

ArchonWing.9480

Yea, I’ve never touched scribing. :p
I was referring to actual Boosters though; can scriber do that?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Yea, I’ve never touched scribing. :p
I was referring to actual Boosters though; can scriber do that?

ANet has made it harder to obtain boosters, not easier. I can’t imagine that they’d add new ways.

There’s one big problem with finding other uses for luck which we haven’t mentioned yet in this thread.

Luck was introduced as a way to give everyone Magic Find and separate it from gear and character. Those who wanted to pay dearly to max MF early could do so and those who didn’t mind just accumulating it could choose to do that. It also provided additional market value for fine & masterwork items (at least, for a few months, perhaps a year).

If ANet introduces a new use for luck, it would put pressure on those without max MF to choose between missing out on a new reward or taking longer to get the original reward.

Thus it shouldn’t be anything that anyone considers as “must have” nor should it provide all that much benefit. That rules out using it for boosters, in place of mystic forge stones, or even for transmutation charges.

I think perhaps it might be better to add maybe another 50% to MF-from-luck & make the requirements increase exponentially, so that, in effect, no one could ever earn 350% total from playing the game.

ArchonWing.9480

I don’t tuink boosters or transmutation charges could be considered must haves but it is a good point. If it is too good then it gets considered mandatory.

Of course I also fear the same from upping the cap. People may go off about how hard they got to 300 and have to do it again. The difference between 300 and 350 would be the difference between exotic and ascended….

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Of course I also fear the same from upping the cap. People may go off about how hard they got to 300 and have to do it again. The difference between 300 and 350 would be the difference between exotic and ascended….

Oh I’m sure people would. The difference is that no one would be worse off than before and that 350 MF wouldn’t be as much as an advantage of ascended over exotic — the fractional change is similar, but the functional difference is minor. 50% MF simply isn’t noticeable without collecting lots and lots of data.

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Maybe they’ll introduce a luck eater (like Sentient Anomaly, Mawdry, etc.)

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Save them, in case anet decides to randomly make a recipe that requires tons of them.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Maybe they’ll introduce a luck eater (like Sentient Anomaly, Mawdry, etc.)

See above — it would be a bad thing to add pressure for people to max out MF from luck. Right now, people can progress it entirely passively if they desire. Adding an eater would turn it into a semi-achievement, and that’s too hard for MMO players to resist.

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I could see them adding Mystic Forge recipes to change vendor-value items to another, or perhaps make them a requirement for a set of weapons to craft. Nothing will solve the problem entirely though without giving Luck capped people an advantage.

Posted by: Sister Saxifrage.7361

Sister Saxifrage.7361

MF recipes with luck and bloodstone/dragonite/empyreal, AND airship oil/auric dust/leyline stuff. I don’t care what; it could vendor for a few silver after taking stacks of stuff and that would be fine.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I like the idea of using Luck to make Mystic Coins as well as Magic Find Boosters.

Posted by: Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Replace ectos in the mystic clover recipe with exotic luck.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

We certainly could use some more Craft-able items for essence of luck. Even if it was just fireworks of something completely silly. If it created MF boosters or mf foods, that would be great! For now I’m storing some and just consuming the rest to keep bag space. Probably going to need a mule just for essence of luck

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

They aren’t going to use luck to replace anything that would cause people to rush maxing MF. So it’s not going to be used for boosters, mystic coins, or as a substitute for either.

Luck is designed to be something that people can gain passively without worrying about it, with an option for people who need to finish maxing ASAP. Turn luck into something ‘valuable’ and it becomes something that many, many people will feel is mandatory.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

There are a couple of niche uses for luck:

• Guild Halls need it at various stages, so you could sell (or volunteer) your luck to those in need. (Requires a free guild slot.)
  • A tiny number of mystic forge recipes use luck.

I agree with Djinn that I want ANet to provide a useful sink.
(I don’t agree that it’s bad for the game that some things have no value; it’s annoying, which is a good enough reason to change it.)

Its not bad for the game for “things” to have no value, its bad for things that are given as a reward to have no value.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol